HansasHeroes1991

U2 2020/2021...The REAL I/E Tour=Boy+Achtung Baby???

I don't know if this forum would be a good place in which to begin a petition, but I welcome better ideas of how to go about it...

I keep imagining the Innocence/Experience idea being taken to its next logical step,

which is a tour celebrating Boy and Achtung Baby.

I don't think this is too far fetched of an idea.

As magical tours in U2's history go, this would be an absolute smash.

Please comment as to whether you would like to see this pair of albums on tour.

I'm guessing U2 could play Boy in its entirety, take a twenty minute break, then play Achtung Baby in its entirety.

After that, perhaps an encore, but those two albums already total 23 tunes.

That's a lot of show.

I guess I'm just itching for the media madness to return.

Let's go back to Trabantland...

With the experience of playing all of JT under their belt, I sincerely hope they at least think about doing the same with AB during the timeframe that you mentioned.

IMHO, AB is the one album out of all their albums that would sound the best being played from start-to-finish. I think doing two albums in their entirety on the same tour would be quite a stretch - what other songs would they play (or, perhaps more importantly, not play)? Also, if it goes beyond one other album being played all the way through, there is the danger that the idea begins to look like a "gimmick".

So, to summarize: fully on board for AB start-to-finish, less so for Boy...

Edited by dmway
  • Like 1

all they need to do is replace the tree with this :Zoo_Cosmo: and use the same stage. have the top of the helmet & antenna above the stage.

they can bring the tour to Australia & specifically to Perth as they skipped us for ZOO TV. Achtung Baby is the best album by U2 imo and I don't think they'll ever top it.

• Like 1

Boy is a top shelf album from front to back.

There's always a gimmick with these tours, like a giant space ship-like stage setup for 360, for instance.

Boy would bring loads of people out to see them.

Achtung Baby would as well.

The space/baby face symbol replacing the Joshua tree is a brilliant idea!

U2 need to return to Oz and perhaps Japan as well...South America seems to eat up their shows.

I'm in Lincoln, Nebraska, so I usually just have to drive a few hours to see them...or catch the train.

It'll be Tulsa for me next, most likely.

I saw Zoo TV twice.

I was sixteen at the time.

In hindsight, it's completely insane that that show ever happened at all.

Completely mental.

4 hours ago, HansasHeroes1991 said:

There's always a gimmick with these tours, like a giant space ship-like stage setup for 360, for instance.

The space/baby face symbol replacing the Joshua tree is a brilliant idea!

U2 need to return to Oz and perhaps Japan as well...South America seems to eat up their shows.

I'm in Lincoln, Nebraska, so I usually just have to drive a few hours to see them...or catch the train.

It'll be Tulsa for me next, most likely.

I saw Zoo TV twice.

I was sixteen at the time.

In hindsight, it's completely insane that that show ever happened at all.

Completely mental.

I wouldn't be interested in a Boy tour but Achtung Baby I would as I missed ZOO TV. I was 16 back then as well. :Zoo_Angel:

4 hours ago, HansasHeroes1991 said:

I don't want to belabor the point because I like both albums. However, let me add these details...

There are very many people who consider themselves "big U2 fans" worldwide who likely do not own "Boy" and may only know "I Will Follow" from it. (Keep in mind that there are very many U2 fans who go to shows worldwide who are not U2.com subscribers/posters too. The reason I point out this: if you were to solicit opinions HERE about "Boy", you would find a lot of justifiable love; however, if you were to go to shows and ask about "Boy", I bet you would find a lot less familiarity with it - the same point can be made for "October" as well. If I had to hazard a guess, I wouldn't be at all surprised if "Boy" and "October" were their two lowest-selling studio albums (obviously, I'm excluding the "Passengers" album).)

The JT tour was so successful in large part because JT is their best-selling album - 13M + so far. That sales figure gives that album the rarified "Diamond" status - sales at/above 10M give an album Diamond status. U2 is one of those very rare bands that have more than one Diamond album - the other, of course, is AB (10m +). If they were to do a start-to-finish tour again for an album, it would have to be AB. You have to appeal beyond the hardcore fans to do an album in its entirety for an entire tour. Memories of the wonderful ZooTV tour  - which many non-hardcore U2 fans attended - would only fuel this desire. There is doubtless no such nostalgia for "Boy" among the general concert-going public...

Finally, I honestly can't see the band members themselves wanting to play "Boy" start-to-finish. Perhaps in a one-off, fan-club oriented show, it could be appealing; however, a full tour? I just don't see it...

Now, I love the album - it is a great album. However, remember that U2 didn't even begin to become a worldwide sensation until after they released "War" - and really it took UF and JT to come out before they became the band that we all love who sells out arena and stadium tours worldwide.

If, by chance, they announced such a show, I'd be one of the first in line - I just don't see it happening...

• Like 1

Have to agree that only Achtung would be played again, and they could go under the same fashion as this tour.  Do Achtung, then Songs of Ascent.  If you are in the feeling that they put out a commercially successful album in SOE, it was #1, they could get experimental on SOA.  Since they have no need to really practice many of the Achtung songs live, they've played almost all of the songs throughout the years, getting the band ready won't be difficult.  It can give them time to put together a SOE during this tour and and Achtung tour, and I'm sure they should have 2-3 songs sitting somewhere that never fit what they were looking for in the past 10 years, that may fit into SOA.  Just a guess on that part. In realty, we just might be seeing a new trend with the band.  Try and tour almost every year, limit the shows and skip certain cities each year, so there is demand the year after, put out an album every couple years, do the nostalgia show, and take more breaks during the year touring, as opposed to doing a global tour for an album  It's much easier to 2 months at end of spring, and 2 months in the fall, as opposed to trying to get a whole tour done in 1 year.  We have to look at this with different these days, the bad is older, and it's much easier to do less shows, and in the instant gratification era, may the new thing is putting out a couple hit songs and hitting the road, or throwing in the nostalgia show, and getting people to the shows.

On 1/12/2018 at 11:18 AM, judas1 said:

Have to agree that only Achtung would be played again, and they could go under the same fashion as this tour.  Do Achtung, then Songs of Ascent.  If you are in the feeling that they put out a commercially successful album in SOE, it was #1, they could get experimental on SOA.  Since they have no need to really practice many of the Achtung songs live, they've played almost all of the songs throughout the years, getting the band ready won't be difficult.  It can give them time to put together a SOE during this tour and and Achtung tour, and I'm sure they should have 2-3 songs sitting somewhere that never fit what they were looking for in the past 10 years, that may fit into SOA.  Just a guess on that part. In realty, we just might be seeing a new trend with the band.  Try and tour almost every year, limit the shows and skip certain cities each year, so there is demand the year after, put out an album every couple years, do the nostalgia show, and take more breaks during the year touring, as opposed to doing a global tour for an album  It's much easier to 2 months at end of spring, and 2 months in the fall, as opposed to trying to get a whole tour done in 1 year.  We have to look at this with different these days, the bad is older, and it's much easier to do less shows, and in the instant gratification era, may the new thing is putting out a couple hit songs and hitting the road, or throwing in the nostalgia show, and getting people to the shows.

I would love a trend of the band touring almost every year.  Of course, as my husband is quick to point out, my defense in upending our family's summer plans so that I can get to 3-6 U2 shows with "But this is a once-in-5-years opportunity!" ring a little hollow now that I have claimed that for 3 of the pat 4 summers! LOL.