Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jaanakulo

The U2 song that saved your life

Have had so many by this band.  Surprised it still got to me. 13.

Book of Your Heart. Little Things. Every Breaking Wave

One.

And others. I hope the band really and truly understand sometimes sometimes they are real live savers, the world is now very harsh and difficult and bands like this (back to 13 crucial lyrics) some people search the comfort in music in impossible conditions and really worrying world wide attitudes. For me as a U2 fan it is more over amazing they still are down to earth maybe cos they know their roots i dont know but when things are getting tough and we have had enough some songs are really ... an universe. Thank you U2 for being and singing an universe. 

I would have to say "Desire" because it introduced me to U2 and their music.  I also gained respect for the band members for having down-to earth and classy style.   

I got carried away by The Book of Your Heart. I was almost... well very ready to leave this band behind but those fuckers made a song like that. It is a very very good song. 

My humble opinion of U2 and maybe another album...this is a good start

where is the truth and the strength and something else now when they are over sinatra.frank. they might  stick even more to the book of the heart and beyond. Ballads and sincerity, they can do that, it does not really have to be uplifting when you are 60 but with all that U2 have and are capable of, what I think, they just crush it, if they make in the next three years a kind of "I did it my way" album but better cos they can and it is crucial. Over Johnny Cash Hurt. 

All of us are here. We are here really.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:24 AM, kastee said:

Beautiful Day, One and Grace

Great picks.

I think what has pulled me up are all the reminders in so many songs which hint at living in the moment and being appreciative. They can't write like that without being sensitive, empathetic people. It also makes them ( Bono ) vulnerable and susceptible to being down. He does not write like that, I suspect, because he is all knowing and tremendously self assured. I think his lyrics are as much personal reminders as they are good advice.

One. When i was younger and one of the first big family deaths occurred.I was confused and in shock not knowing what to feel. Achtung Baby had just been released and i was struggling with it until i heard One. That song was so powerful and the lyrics meant so much that it gave me hope. We do indeed "get to carry each other"

On 2018-01-14 at 9:17 PM, jaanakulo said:

I got carried away by The Book of Your Heart. I was almost... well very ready to leave this band behind but those fuckers made a song like that. It is a very very good song. 

My humble opinion of U2 and maybe another album...this is a good start

where is the truth and the strength and something else now when they are over sinatra.frank. they might  stick even more to the book of the heart and beyond. Ballads and sincerity, they can do that, it does not really have to be uplifting when you are 60 but with all that U2 have and are capable of, what I think, they just crush it, if they make in the next three years a kind of "I did it my way" album but better cos they can and it is crucial. Over Johnny Cash Hurt. 

All of us are here. We are here really.

Book of your Heart and landlady are the two strongest songs I heard from the band in a long time.

Like this topic cause I lost my father one year ago and there is one U2 song that gave me strength to handle it and still do..

Kite I choose but it's never easy listen to it..

It's like calling out to him like Bono singing "It never be a Goodbye", my father loved the seas like me and in the lyric I feel that the wind carries him away.

I also want to experience a little of the magic with that  Elevation Tour.

One should never give up hope.

On 1/6/2018 at 1:07 PM, jaanakulo said:

Have had so many by this band.  Surprised it still got to me. 13.

Book of Your Heart. Little Things. Every Breaking Wave

One.

And others. I hope the band really and truly understand sometimes sometimes they are real live savers, the world is now very harsh and difficult and bands like this (back to 13 crucial lyrics) some people search the comfort in music in impossible conditions and really worrying world wide attitudes. For me as a U2 fan it is more over amazing they still are down to earth maybe cos they know their roots i dont know but when things are getting tough and we have had enough some songs are really ... an universe. Thank you U2 for being and singing an universe. 

Jaanakulo...

I like what you have written so much and I think these very words would carry so much weight for U2 as well.

I think you validated U2's main objective as artists and as feeling, breathing and vulnerable human beings just like the rest of us.

Their music brings us comfort....as it does for them.....

We relate to their music because it is so honest and open.....like blood flowing free from the vein.....

And yet, there is a spiritual realm assisting and orchestrating the mastermind behind U2's music that alludes.... optimism..... peace.....and energy that envelopes you like a warm blanket when you sincerely need it most.....

You know the saying....God works in mysterious ways......

On 06/02/2018 at 5:32 AM, unforgettableu2 said:

Jaanakulo...

I like what you have written so much and I think these very words would carry so much weight for U2 as well.

I think you validated U2's main objective as artists and as feeling, breathing and vulnerable human beings just like the rest of us.

Their music brings us comfort....as it does for them.....

We relate to their music because it is so honest and open.....like blood flowing free from the vein.....

And yet, there is a spiritual realm assisting and orchestrating the mastermind behind U2's music that alludes.... optimism..... peace.....and energy that envelopes you like a warm blanket when you sincerely need it most.....

You know the saying....God works in mysterious ways......

YES

U2’s music in general has saved me when I feel really down - sometimes dangerously so. I would say Mysterious Ways, it just makes me think that “it’s alright”! 

For me quite a few, 1 saved my life and others changed it .

The life saver is All I want is you, at the time (1997) i had so much pain and i couldn't find the words or the way to find that pain and throw it out, but those lyrics was exactly what i felt at that moment so i cried and realise that this man wrote my emotion, felt the same thing and it was 20 years ago so he survived, a revelation that i could to....and believe me i didn't loved U2 at all at that time ;)

Songs that changed my perception and comprehension of life after are:
-One (so much way to see it)
-Walk On (perfect way to go trought life)
-Stuck in a moment (a life long fight for me)
-Moment of surrender (a lot of things you spend energy on don't worth it)
-Please (pure genius, look at the clip)
-Staring at the sun  (so much drinking and fun with this on background ;)
-Stay (chase the vampire and the victim)
-The little things that gives you away (the dead of my innocence..simply perfect lyrics and mixt there)
-Running to stand still  (harmonica, sunrise, lake)
-Kite (life and death.)

Ok i stop now ;)

Speaking honestly, there have been many times in my life where I was in a dark place & Ive needed someone but nobody was really there. It was only me. Ive always only had music. It gives me the strength I need to pick myself up because nobody else will. Im it. U2 are who I turn to, musically. 

Bono seems to be against looking up to musicians well tough...The band means more to me than words can express. 

Which song saved my life? All of them.

A random list in no particular order: One, With or without you, I still havent found..., streets, Beautiful day, Bad, Love is blindness, acrobat, moment of surrender, in a little while, ok well lets just say all of The Joshua Tree...I could go on. 

So many I am forgetting... 

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For. (The gospel version in Harlem, New York, during the Rattle and Hum movie)

Bono already said "Found" was a gospel song, but then hearing it being sung by this gospelchoir in Harlem just was heavenly.

There is something about this song that just wants me to sing it out loud with all my heart. Bono's singing is so incredible. Danoil Lanois compared the range of Bono's voice in this song to that of an opera singer. And I love it when the whole audience sings along when it is being played live. "Found" has such deep rooted feelings of despair and joy at the same time that when I feel down I can always use this song to lift myself up. It is a serene song played so delicately but with such intense feelings. It seems to be one of those classic U2 songs that come along once in a while as a gift to us U2 fans.

I love to read other people favorite choices and I notice how difficult it is to choose just one U2 song. I am tempted too to add another favorite... but I dont....

On 2/25/2018 at 1:03 AM, bettydalton said:

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For. (The gospel version in Harlem, New York, during the Rattle and Hum movie)

Bono already said "Found" was a gospel song, but then hearing it being sung by this gospelchoir in Harlem just was heavenly.

There is something about this song that just wants me to sing it out loud with all my heart. Bono's singing is so incredible. Danoil Lanois compared the range of Bono's voice in this song to that of an opera singer. And I love it when the whole audience sings along when it is being played live. "Found" has such deep rooted feelings of despair and joy at the same time that when I feel down I can always use this song to lift myself up. It is a serene song played so delicately but with such intense feelings. It seems to be one of those classic U2 songs that come along once in a while as a gift to us U2 fans.

I love to read other people favorite choices and I notice how difficult it is to choose just one U2 song. I am tempted too to add another favorite... but I dont....

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For is also the song that I would say changed my life. It made me start thinking about my faith more, or rather, how I could use more faith. Although it would be almost a decade until I finally committed myself to Christ through Baptism, it planted a seed. I know the lyrics aren't perfectly Christian, but it got me thinking, much like U2 music does. They opened my consciousness at a young age (15).

Good topic. 

Not so much lifesavers but tge songs which carry the most poignancy for me are: One, Kite, Moment of Surrender amd With or Without You.  And Song for Someone is up there too.