Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

electricco

Dolores O'Riordan

Cranberries singer Dolores O'Riordan dies suddenly aged 46, that's terrible ...

Rest In Peace Dolores

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-42696376

The first time we saw the cranberries live, in may 1993 as the support band of Hothouse flowers in Paris; we asked Dolores  if there was an album, and after she signed me an autograph, she said yes, and it's called "Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We?"

Statement by President Higgins on the death of Dolores O'Riordan

“It is with great sadness that I have learned of the death of Dolores O’Riordan, musician, singer and song writer.

Dolores O’Riordan and The Cranberries had an immense influence on rock and pop music in Ireland and internationally.

I recall with fondness the late Limerick TD Jim Kemmy’s introduction of her and The Cranberries to me, and the pride he and so many others took in their successes.

To her family and all those who follow and support Irish music, Irish musicians and the performing arts her death will be a big loss.

I still can't believe it. Such a young age, only 46... awful news. My thoughts to all of her famliy, colleagues, friends and fans.

I remember seeing The Cranberries in concert when they opened up for Duran Duran in December of 1993 when I began to the Art Institute of Seattle. 

I saw them open for Duran Duran too and as headliners the next year (I think). I am deeply saddened by this news. I used to want to be Dolores in the early 90s. Loved her thick Irish accent. :(

One of my first real encounters with rock music in my early teens. I clearly remember how the music video of „Zombie“ affected me, though I didn’t  understand what it was all about at that age... 

the news about her passing made me really sad this evening.

love to her family and friends.

Sad news to hear, just heard on the radio.

If there was an Ahk-toong Bay-bi Covered-style cover album of Pop, I always thought The Cranberries should have done Please. (Assuming they got along with U2)

I've been thinking about this since I first heard yesterday morning and I am still upset about it. The Cranberries had such an impact on my life and I have so many memories tied to their music. They are one of those bands which you always heard and their songs were total ear worms and you couldn't help but love them. It's such a sad loss to the music industry and her fans. Their music really helped define an era and her voice was truly unique. 

Such a loss ... only 46 .... way way way too young to go ... RIP!

I'm so sad over this. She was only 46 yrs old! Absolutely loved The Cranberries back in the day.

Very sad news indeed. Really loved their music. She maybe gone (RIP) but the legend will always 'Linger'

3 minutes ago, martymc said:

Very sad news indeed. Really loved their music. She maybe gone (RIP) but the legend will always 'Linger'

Well said! :(

R:I:P

This has had my heart sad all week and I have been listening to the catalog 24/7 since the news.  Of course her family are foremost in my thoughts.  But it also takes me right back to 93 which is when I met my wife, their music has always been a connection to that time.  The first time I got hold of an HD camera I shot footage of our 3 year old playing on a playground and Dreams was the music I put to it.  For those of us that love music we recognize the magic that happens when a group builds something greater than their individual parts like our boys in U2.  But sometimes there is a player or singer who has a unique sound that transcends anything around them.  No matter what kind of music you like it, is undeniable that Dolores' voice was the sound of angels.  I am glad I got to listen to it.

great memories with her voice,

I used to paint with daffodil lament and linger

rest in peace

On 1/15/2018 at 12:24 PM, electricco said:

The first time we saw the cranberries live, in may 1993 as the support band of Hothouse flowers in Paris; we asked Dolores  if there was an album, and after she signed me an autograph, she said yes, and it's called "Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We?"

It is very sad.   I am envious of you seeing them and Hothouse Flowers.  I did not think many people knew HF.  Wow.   That must have been a great show and you got to meet her and get an autograph?   Yow.   Good for you!

On 1/23/2018 at 3:40 PM, thelordrob said:

I used to paint with daffodil lament and linger

Linger has one of my favorite beginnings to any song I have ever heard.  I can't explain it but such is the beauty of music.  I wish I could paint.  I'd like to see some of what your work.  I love art.  I suck at it but I love it.

15 hours ago, Manohlive said:

It is very sad.   I am envious of you seeing them and Hothouse Flowers.  I did not think many people knew HF.  Wow.   That must have been a great show and you got to meet her and get an autograph?   Yow.   Good for you!

001.thumb.jpg.89b01b8b998c1dcee6201058a7ffaa42.jpg

Thanks for posting those posters/pics.  I love seeing things like that so many, many thanks.

Ode to my family - beautiful tune. Very sad news even a few weeks later. Rest in peace Dolores.