AMT1979

Any Americans Going/Gone to Dublin Show?

Any advice/suggestions for how the GA process works in Dublin? Totally know how it works in the US... gotta believe it’s different over there. Thx in advance. 

Posted (edited)

We saw them in Dublin on the i+e Tour in 2015 at 3Arena and it was so fantastic. Something to note which we didn't realize: we bought the VIP travel tickets which included hotel etc. which meant we had front row of the seated section off of the floor. Know that in these seats you are required by the venue to sit the whole time. I assume it may be because people have gone over the rail but it was a bummer to not know that going into it.

Apart from that, 3Arena is a really small house and a great place to see them. Saw Simple Minds there the next night, too! In terms of how GA works - not sure the process but I'll say that the floor looked PACKED - not sure how the capacity laws differ from here in the states. It was surprising how little free space there was on that floor.

We stayed at the InterContinental Dublin which is just a bit out of the city center but easy to get to via tram. It was a little stuffy/fancy but again was part of our VIP ticket package so we had no choice really. The next trip to Dubs I want to stay at the Clarence for obvious reasons. 

I loved the Temple Bar district (even though touristy), the Hard Rock Cafe is worth a stop in for a photo with the Trabant hanging from the ceiling, Mary's Hardware bar, Thomas House bar (great punk rock bar - highly recommend stopping in), did the Jameson and Guinness tours of course, The Brazen Head pub (oldest pub in Dublin), took the bus to Cedarwood Road to Bono's old house (which was very cool to see - the neighborhood looks just like the video in the show which seems obvious but it was still a trip to be there) and went out to Killiney to see Bono's current house (I won't post details here but you can find it if you so choose). Also went to old Windmill Lane Studios (that's my profile picture) and the docks where the cover of October was shot. A photo with the Phil Lynott statue was also a must which was the first thing we did.

Essentially, we did our own U2 Tour without the tour guide :lol:

Edited by lukylsp
  • Brilliant 1

It's on my bucket list, but I have no idea how to do it. I noticed the Dublin shows sold our very, very quickly. I will be travelling to Europe in the fall and would love to go.

I saw them in 2005 and it was an amazing experience. I met people from all over the world and the vibe was amazing. We did a U2 walking tour the next day, where two locals took us to the pubs they first played at, Windmill Lane studios and played U2 songs along the way. Every pub was blasting U2 music. 

My friend and I did GA. We got there around noon but got pushed and shoved so many times so we ended far from our original spot. People who showed up at 6pm were closer to the stage than we were. So, if you’re doing GA, don’t stress too much about getting there early. 

OOohh I can hardly wait & I love the idea of a U2 walking tour..hope we can try & set something up like that this time too. My first time ever going to Ireland (I'm Irish too!!) & have always wanted to see them in Dublin.  So excited for this trip. I am going alone from Hawaii (orig from Boston) & am hoping to meet some great folks to hang out with. Aloha Liz

2 hours ago, BrooklynU2Fan said:

I saw them in 2005 and it was an amazing experience. I met people from all over the world and the vibe was amazing. We did a U2 walking tour the next day, where two locals took us to the pubs they first played at, Windmill Lane studios and played U2 songs along the way. Every pub was blasting U2 music. 

My friend and I did GA. We got there around noon but got pushed and shoved so many times so we ended far from our original spot. People who showed up at 6pm were closer to the stage than we were. So, if you’re doing GA, don’t stress too much about getting there early. 

I'm getting too old for GAs, even though I was right on the rail for 2nd show at SAP Center, in San Jose. The crowd around us was super-cool. We all agreed to look out for each (i.e. saving each other's spots during bathroom/bar breaks). But I'm guessing the crowd in Dublin might be a bit more boisterous and feisty.

I'd love to get me some Reserved Seats, but they are sold out. I'd love to know how to do it.