Sign in to follow this  
torag-mo

Scottish Fans Are Ignored Again

We have been avid fans and followers of U2 since their conception, they have just announced dates/venues for European Tour.  Yet again Scotland has been totally ignored!!.

THEY TOURED "INNOCENCE" BUT NOT JOSHUA TREE AND NOW "EXPERIENCE".

TOTALLY GUTTED THEY HAVE FORGOTTEN THAT SCOTLAND HELPED SO MUCH TO LAUNCH THEIR CAREERS.

It’s a shame there isn’t a far North region in the UK, like Scotland. I would have loved to go to Glasgow for a change.  At least there is Manchester rather than just London...but I don’t things it’s a case of ignoring as such.  We are rather lucky in Europe that we have so many choices of show within a short plane ride away.  Some of the US states can fit most of Northern Europe inside them so it’s kind of like us having loads of venues within a reasonable travelling distance whereas in the US that may not be the case, even though there seem to b more US shows.  Unless you happen to live in the vicinity of a venue, most people will have to travel several hours or fly to get to see them as they can’t play multiple stops per country or they would be touring for several years....that’s the price to pay.  I’ve booked a flight to Copenhagen (fingers crossed I actually get a ticket!!!) and it’s cheaper for 2 of us to fly than a single return train ticket to London!  Obviously have to pay accommodation  but Air B and B has come up trumps so it’s cheaper for us to go there than London.  Now...just need to stop stressing over the ticket sales tomorrow.....

• Like 1

The Hydro is free after the 28th of  October until the 10th of November, so it could be fitted in at the end. Some fans can't afford spending  £200-300 on travel and accommodation then add on ticket price  and subscription fee, especially after doing the same last year. 

43 minutes ago, Mofopat said:

The Hydro is free after the 28th of  October until the 10th of November, so it could be fitted in at the end. Some fans can't afford spending  £200-300 on travel and accommodation then add on ticket price  and subscription fee, especially after doing the same last year. 

Would suggest that those dates are being looked at for Irish gigs.

Although perhaps that is why Dublin and Belfast aren't announced as yet. They might be looking at putting Scotland in ahead of Ireland.

This totally messes with our planning. Do we try to buy tickets for shows in England which will mean that my family cannot go because i cannot afford to take them all and pay for transport accommodation etc for the whole clan or do we hold off in the hope that extra shows are announced which include Scotland? Seems strange to have a band that cares so much about their status reduced to 13 stops on a European Tour, I know they are getting older but this would be a major scaling back from previous tours.

Really wish I hadn't bought an extra copy of the album for a friend just to get the ticket allocation so I could take the whole family. Gutted at missing the Joshua Tree tour and now gutted at this, I have been to every tour since The Unforgettable Fire and now it does feel like travelling to Manchester for all of us isn't an option. 

It's a big disappointment alright.I can't even do Manchester that date but will see when the Belfast date is and grudgingly go for that.I can't see a Scottish date being added unfortunately.If it was stadium shows I actually wouldn't even bother going to Belfast or Manchester if I could but U2 indoors is the best experience in my opinion.

Thanks for everyone's input.  Cannot understand why they cannot play at Hydro, Glasgow if 28 Oct - 10Nov are free!!

They did the iNNOCENSE tour there.

My husband is very ill so cannot travel. Flying is out of the question.   It is even a big effort to get him to Glasgow and stay overnight.  We were totally gutted when they missed Scotlabd out on the 30 year Joshua Tree tour las year.  We saw it first time round and wanted to take our grandson, who is a budding guitarist.  He was with us at the iNNOCENSE tour and loved it.

I know it is a huge expenditure to put on their shows, but cannot help but feel they sold out to Live Nation, hence everything is "American" based.   Much preferred when Fan Club was based in UK.

PS.   We also love Simple Mnds, who have remained true to their roots and regularly communicate with their fans on Facebook.   Looking forward to seeing them in the Barrowlands next month at the launch of their new album.

19 hours ago, torag-mo said:

YET AGAIN SCOTLAND HAS BEEN TOTALLY IGNORED.

Same applies for a bunch of other countries within Europe. Countries which have fans just as devoted as Scots. Countries which have never been visited by U2. 

19 hours ago, Kristaps said:

Same applies for a bunch of other countries within Europe. Countries which have fans just as devoted as Scots. Countries which have never been visited by U2. 

I guess it mainly comes down to  logistics, venue availability and the band needing to rest more these days.  Don't give up hope yet. They often do extra legs and sometimes dates are added in. Fingers crossed for you.

Re Scotland, U2 were so blown away by the last Glasgow shows on the IEtour, I would say they would try to get there if possible on this tour. Jt tour was put together quickly. They only played one night on Dublin due to venue availability.  They normally play 3 so again prob more a case of hampered by stadium availability.  

Fingers crossed they add more dates

45 minutes ago, tdarby719 said:

Venue available from Oct. 29 to Nov. 10 at Hydro

Yes, however would imagine there are a number of factors in play here.

Extra London dates, and Irish dates (as yet to be announced)

On 18-1-2018 at 1:06 PM, Kristaps said:

Exactly!!!

I totally agree.  When you look at how many dates are in Europe, it's as if they are a token gesture to their fans here.  I can't help think they sold out when they signed up with Live Nation.

I give up . 30 years propaganda,online member didn't receive a code or home concert???. As I said War on Drugs at barras for £25 Is far cheaper than the membership to this mess and a lot more enjoyable . ??

5 hours ago, Martinmc said:

Yes, however would imagine there are a number of factors in play here.

Extra London dates, and Irish dates (as yet to be announced)

I would suggest that if London got all 4 projected shows: Logistically by venue availability could fit Glasgow on 3 Oct 31/Nov 1 (available from 29th to 10th), Belfast on Nov 4/5 (available from 27th to 6th), and then Dublin on Nov 8,9 11 (available from 4th to 16th) But that's just logistically. If London falls short of 4 shows (since they only announced 1 originally and may have only 2 in the works) then does the schedule move earlier or does it leave room for another venue? Of course this is pure speculation. Especially with rumors of the Belfast dates by a non official post.

Edited by tdarby719

On 18/01/2018 at 11:47 AM, torag-mo said:

Thanks for everyone's input.  Cannot understand why they cannot play at Hydro, Glasgow if 28 Oct - 10Nov are free!!

They did the iNNOCENSE tour there.

My husband is very ill so cannot travel. Flying is out of the question.   It is even a big effort to get him to Glasgow and stay overnight.  We were totally gutted when they missed Scotlabd out on the 30 year Joshua Tree tour las year.  We saw it first time round and wanted to take our grandson, who is a budding guitarist.  He was with us at the iNNOCENSE tour and loved it.

I know it is a huge expenditure to put on their shows, but cannot help but feel they sold out to Live Nation, hence everything is "American" based.   Much preferred when Fan Club was based in UK.

Nothing at all against the US, but totes agree re fanclub being in UK. 

On 18/01/2018 at 12:48 AM, torag-mo said:

WE HAVE BEEN AVID FANS AND FOLLOWERS OF U2 SINCE THEIR CONCEPTION, THEY HAVE JUST ANNOUNCED DATES/VENUES FOR EUROPEAN TOUR.  YET AGAIN SCOTLAND HAS BEEN TOTALLY IGNORED.

THEY TOURED "INNOCENCE" BUT NOT JOSHUA TREE AND NOW "EXPERIENCE".

TOTALLY GUTTED THEY HAVE FORGOTTEN THAT SCOTLAND HELPED SO MUCH TO LAUNCH THEIR CAREERS.

on the positive side, be glad you got the Innocence tour :) by the time U2 decide to tour Australia it will be 8 years since they last toured :Zoo_Baby:

if they do decide to tour Australia & New Zealand in say a years time, I may of lost interest. same goes for MetallicA. I still love both bands but try & stay in contact with us.

yes, we are a long way from the USA & Europe but we matter gosh darn it. also, feel free to lose the state of the art walk through screen if that's what stops U2 touring here.

same goes for MetallicA, leave those f*cking drones in the Northern Hemisphere and just get your ass on stage guys. we just want to hear & see our favourite bands live. 

feel free to leave the tinsel at home, this goes for both bands. :Zoo_Guitar:

HAHA-AWESOME-CAT.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, neil mccormick said:

. 30 years propaganda,

Yeah, I don't think it lasted 30 years.

Edited by Kristaps

It a disgrace there are no Scottish dates, I've got tickets for the O2 but wasn't willing to pay the £190+ for decent seats so am probably sitting in the rafters. This will be my last U2 concert and I won't be renewing my membership, The band should hang there heads in shame for treating the fans this way after all its fans that put them were they are.

Billy Sloan on his radio show yesterday said he understood that Scottish shows are being worked on so hang on.

I've been gong since the Edinburgh Playhouse in 1983..  U2 used to have such a strong bond with their Scottish fans but that now appears to be lost as Scottish shows appear to be an afterthought.

There were doubts over the Popmart show going ahead (admittedly not the bands fault), the Elevation shows at the SECC were disgraceful they way they were only added after a 2nd Slane Castle was added + the rush announcement on sale 9am tomorrow, no Joshua Tree 30 show and now the feeling that we are only getting E&I shows if it can be worked out and suits their Belfast &Dublin plans.  

+ Hampden was terrible for Vertigo and 360..

11 hours ago, Boozyuzi said:

I've been gong since the Edinburgh Playhouse in 1983..  U2 used to have such a strong bond with their Scottish fans but that now appears to be lost as Scottish shows appear to be an afterthought.

There were doubts over the Popmart show going ahead (admittedly not the bands fault), the Elevation shows at the SECC were disgraceful they way they were only added after a 2nd Slane Castle was added + the rush announcement on sale 9am tomorrow, no Joshua Tree 30 show and now the feeling that we are only getting E&I shows if it can be worked out and suits their Belfast &Dublin plans.  

So when was the last decent show?

12 hours ago, Boozyuzi said:

the reason they added Glasgow Elevation last minute was because Bono's Dad was near death, and he was flying back and forth to his Dublin bedside after each concert on that European tour.  They were squeezed in to accommodate the grim reaper. It made those shows extremely memorable, as Bono was in some other headspace those nights. Second best glasgow shows i've ever seen, after Zooropa at Parkhead. 

if anyone is to blame for no show in glasgow this time it's kevin bridges. A month 'residency' at the hydro? how much money does one slightly funny chancer need? Manchester was ignored for the i+E tour, so fair dos...