torag-mo

Scottish Fans Are Ignored Again

3 hours ago, Martinmc said:

So when was the last decent show?

The first leg of the War tour in Glasgow

War & The Unforgettable Fire at The Playhouse were amazing and made me a fan for life.

Zoo TV at the SECC and Zooropa at Celtic Park were nearly as good.

Tiffanys for me but that was a long time ago.

ive got tickets for Manchester but I've been told the Joshua tour will come out again and will hit Glasgow in 2019?

before the Irish or after the Irish gigs they could have booked the hydro.

but remember they weren't playing Scotland and at the last minute booked the secc,so there is stil time.

Still holding out hope and kept my various codes available for any future gigs. Still sore from missing last year but have heard a few rumours about the Joshua Tree Tour returning at some point.

MY best gig was Murrayfield for the Joshua Tree tour .. a festival for Scotland with Runrig, love and money, The Pogues and a very poor Mission, Celtic Park ZOO TV were good as was the SECC gig. Still loved my first gig at the Edinburgh Playhouse with staff trying to tell us we had to stay seated.

Torag mo I'm also going to see the simple minds in the barrowlands and hmv a week on Friday for Charlie and Jim doing a signing session.

lets hope billy Sloan knows something we don't.

im sure they wil do at least 2 nights at the hydro

Still hoping for a Scottish show, my son wants to go see them, would be his first time,

On the Simple Minds subject, their new album is getting some really good reviews, looks like they are continuing this late career burst of form, a bit of a renaissance.

• Upvote 1

Loved acoustic and big music, loving Magic. Looking forward to walk between worlds. Maybe simple minds’ mistake was trying too hard to be U2 back in the late 80s

On 22/01/2018 at 1:55 PM, Asterix said:

The first leg of the War tour in Glasgow

I think the second night of the ie tour in Glasgow was absolutely epic. The boys were pretty blown away too. Tis why I think they would do a date in Glasgow if logistics allowed.

Edited by Cazza

No hint of Scottish dates on presale e-mail I’ve received overnight, but states Irish gigs will be annnounced v soon. So a UK tour is now only 4 nights in 2 cities. Which unless you live in the north west of England or south east isn’t great. 

I think these 4 dates will be the lot for the UK.

Thanks for posting . So so disappointed that no Scottish dates announced. We have been to every U2 concert - apart from last yr 30 Joshua Tree tour where Scotland was missed out. My husband is too ill to travel and  a huge effort to even get to Glasgow - from Kinross. Music has been our salvation throughout his illness. Don't think we will renew our memberships again. the boys have forgotten who put them up there at the beginning. 

I think hydro will get at least 1 night if they don’t do London 3 and 4, Could be worse Wales hasn’t had a show since 360, Australia and NZ same, also Scotland and Wales is impacted by lack of venue, there isn’t one  big enough in Wales for indoor show (I’m not classing the millennium stadium as indoor when roof is closed) Scotland has the hydro (great arena btw) which is booked out through October, if shows are added be thankful and don’t moan about afterthoughts and lack of notice.

looks like Belfast is 31st Oct and 1st Nov, Dublin 5th and 6th Nov, still possible for late October dates or even after Dublin , I understand though Dublin does have a placeholder for 3/4 nights on 9th and 10th.

the Millennium could easily have been used for i&e even with a reduced capacity, temporary stands. Certainly could have done a Joshua tree gig. And Edge is of welsh descent. No reason e&i tour couldn’t have been in Cardiff, Glasgow, birmingham etc.

U2 have done over 50 USA concerts in 2017-18 but only 6 (possibly7- 8 with Belfast) in the U.K. seems like they can’t be bothered with the U.K. anymore.

Edited by doctornickriviera

Comparing UK to US isn't really like with like - a better comparison would be N America with Europe in terms of the distances people have to travel to get to their closest show.  Many individual European countries are getting just one city, many aren't being visited at all, so in that context having three locations within the UK Isn't unreasonable.  For the last two tours we had to go from N Wales down to London, but we turned them into a city break and had a bit of a holiday.

I suspect that had there been an available suitable venue further north than Manchester they might have gone there, but dates didn't work out.

Europe is bigger than America by about 25% population wise yet got 12 JT shows whereas North America got 32. 

Mind you U2 do get a lot of hate in the U.K. and SOE hasn’t done very well so maybe that’s why.

I Went to London for JT and IE. May well go for Manchester on the Saturday this time we’ll see.

The Joshua Tree would have been awesome in Cardiff with the roof shut- shame it never happened. Got a double dose of Coldplay the next week instead. Which was excellent despite all the haters.

Its a shame Scotland haven’t got a gig to date. But Kevin Bridges has booked the SECC for nearly all of October and maybe that is why. Unless they go to Scotland after the Irish dates. 

And cardiffs arena is too small and the sound quality is appalling there. 

Edited by doctornickriviera

3 hours ago, doctornickriviera said:

Europe is bigger than America by about 25% population wise yet got 12 JT shows whereas North America got 32. 

Mind you U2 do get a lot of hate in the U.K. and SOE hasn’t done very well so maybe that’s why.

I Went to London for JT and IE. May well go for Manchester on the Saturday this time we’ll see.

The Joshua Tree would have been awesome in Cardiff with the roof shut- shame it never happened. Got a double dose of Coldplay the next week instead. Which was excellent despite all the haters.

Its a shame Scotland haven’t got a gig to date. But Kevin Bridges has booked the SECC for nearly all of October and maybe that is why. Unless they go to Scotland after the Irish dates. 

And cardiffs arena is too small and the sound quality is appalling there. 

Keep in mind also that the US is huge compared to Europe. England is smaller than the state of Texas and all of Europe only would take up about a 1/3 of the space of the US.  

1 hour ago, mich40 said:

Keep in mind also that the US is huge compared to Europe. England is smaller than the state of Texas and all of Europe only would take up about a 1/3 of the space of the US.  

Firstly England is not Britain and only one part of the United Kingdom with Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland.

yet England has 3x the population of Texas. 55 vs 27 million.  Remember the population of Europe far exceeds the North America and much of North America is vast swathes of empty.

it seems many fans Welsh/Scottish/Australian/New Zealand/Asia etc are being repeatedly ignored by the band whilst they do yet another tour of the US.

• Like 1

I really had hoped for a Scottish show to be announced in the latest round of updates, but not even a rumour of anything.

8 hours ago, ascender said:

I really had hoped for a Scottish show to be announced in the latest round of updates, but not even a rumour of anything.

I was wondering if one could be slipped in between Belfast and Dublin. Kevin Bridges should be finished by then...or around Madrid in Sept.  Looking like no Scottish show. Think it would have been announced before now. Cant see them waiting to end anywhere other than Dublin

Edited by Cazza

What about the trnsmt festival there is still one date with no bands anonced yet and u2 are free on that date.

On 23.1.2018 at 6:21 PM, Hoachy said:

Still holding out hope and kept my various codes available for any future gigs. Still sore from missing last year but have heard a few rumours about the Joshua Tree Tour returning at some point

Oh really have you? and a few? about the JT tour returning at some point *a grin* is it so...  I tell you our stadium in Finland is only prepared for you, only for you, U2. Come on come on! come on back to the real hearts, the tiny country with the love of music nature anarchy you know we are alike. And we love you so.

The band are damned no matter what they do.  Simple fact is, they cannot go everywhere, and I would suggest they try and book venues that will allow a reasonable catchment area without major expense.

It costs peanuts to fly from Glasgow to Belfast for instance, and its about a 25 minute flight.

I do agree though that scotland deserves a gig.  Im in Belfast, but it was Scotland and Ireland mainly that got behind celtic lads like U2, Simple Minds, Big Country etc very early on.

Personally, if I was in a band, I would be busting to get playing Ireland and Scotland, best fans anywhere.

On 22/01/2018 at 12:19 PM, EsmaCannon said:

the reason they added Glasgow Elevation last minute was because Bono's Dad was near death, and he was flying back and forth to his Dublin bedside after each concert on that European tour.  They were squeezed in to accommodate the grim reaper. It made those shows extremely memorable, as Bono was in some other headspace those nights. Second best glasgow shows i've ever seen, after Zooropa at Parkhead. 

if anyone is to blame for no show in glasgow this time it's kevin bridges. A month 'residency' at the hydro? how much money does one slightly funny chancer need? Manchester was ignored for the i+E tour, so fair dos... 

Obviously funnier than you think if he can fill the Hydro for a month!

Seriously?, more dates In London, Paris, Belfast, yet not one single Scottish date after two sold out dates in Glasgow last time around (plus no JT30 date)?. I've been on EVERY tour since 1987. Many times having to travel to England & Ireland, & therefore at much added expense. What have Scottish U2 fans done to deserve this?. I've contacted Billy Sloan (D.J.) who was credited for getting the band to come to Glasgow for Elevation show. He cited availability of venue dates as reason, but with extra dates being added everywhere, surely Scotland can be slotted in somewhere?. Sitting here with a pre-sale code and holding fire for Scottish date, so could miss out on one of the main perks of being a U2.com Subscriber. Trust me, there's a large community of Scottish U2 fans who are becoming increasingly pissed off !!, including me.  Wouldn't bother if it was some crap band instead of best band in the world. - Gutted!! :(

I wonder if the reported poor tickets sales in the US and for some of the European gig will lead to any changes in the itinerary for this year and next.