torag-mo

Scottish Fans Are Ignored Again

On 8 February 2018 at 3:58 PM, Pauli363 said:

The band are damned no matter what they do.  Simple fact is, they cannot go everywhere, and I would suggest they try and book venues that will allow a reasonable catchment area without major expense.

It costs peanuts to fly from Glasgow to Belfast for instance, and its about a 25 minute flight.

I do agree though that scotland deserves a gig.  Im in Belfast, but it was Scotland and Ireland mainly that got behind celtic lads like U2, Simple Minds, Big Country etc very early on.

Personally, if I was in a band, I would be busting to get playing Ireland and Scotland, best fans anywhere.

25 minute flight Paul but about a day travel from Belfast international! ? Did it for the stone roses last summer. It must be Glasgow to Prestwick in distance???

On 2/9/2018 at 2:32 PM, bjhdrums said:

What have Scottish U2 fans done to deserve this?

What have done all the fans from the countries where U2 have never been to? Why do I have to travel abroad every single time I want to see U2 live? Sometimes they come to Scotland, sometime they don't. 

Re: Kristaps reply.  I totally get your point, and actually thought twice about posting my comment for the very reason of all the other countries that U2 have NEVER visited.  I guess after U2's  rich history with my country, I don't want to see Scotland being consigned to a list of places they don't visit anymore.  As Bono sings in "Please" sometimes "You can only feel your own pain".  Sorry if my post has came across as being selfish.  You don't state where you come from, but hope you get to see the band in your country one day.  

Scottish gigs are always special, having the celtic link and being just across the water, Bono always says how special it is when they come to Scotland and I believe some of his last words as he left the stage at the I & E second concert was something along the lines of we wont leave it so long the next time.

I can imagine how frustrating it must be to ALWAYS have to travel to another country to see them!... this will only be the second time I have had to fly to England for a U2 concert, so I suppose in a way im lucky....... Just dissapointed that the hurrying back never happened for one reason or another.

7 minutes ago, spongebob said:

Bono always says how special it is when they come to Scotland and I believe some of his last words as he left the stage at the I & E second concert was something along the lines of we wont leave it so long the next time.

I saw the Street Fighting Years tour in Dublin and Jim Kerr said those exact same words. 

Simple Minds skipped over Ireland on the following tour and didn't return until 1995.

10 hours ago, Boozyuzi said:

Bono made several references to the volume of the crowd and said that they will never forget it.

Doesn't mean anything. Every artist says that every time. 

• Upvote 1

That may be true generally. But Glasgow 2 in 2015 was a very special night. Regarded by many as one of , if not the best show of the European leg of i+e. And the simple reason was a raucous Scottish crowd.

9 hours ago, AlanScotland1 said:

That may be true generally. But Glasgow 2 in 2015 was a very special night. Regarded by many as one of , if not the best show of the European leg of i+e. And the simple reason was a raucous Scottish crowd.

Zurich 2 on the 360 in 2010 was the „show of the shows“. They haven’t played there since.

It doesn’t mean anything if a show was good. Btw London 2 and Manchester 2 are still not sold out. 

I realise they can't play everywhere but I just feel there are certain European countries that should always be on every major tour whether by fanbase, history, tradition etc...

Ireland, England, France, Italy, Belgium/Holland, Spain and Germany.

Scotland was a core country, going back to the early 80s, until the last two tours ....so I think there is a case for Scotland being a bit more disappointed than most.

Edited by AlanScotland1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, AlanScotland1 said:

I realise they can't play everywhere but I just feel there are certain European countries that should always be on every major tour whether by fanbase, history, tradition etc...

Ireland, England, France, Italy, Belgium/Holland, Spain and Germany.

Scotland was a core country, going back to the early 80s, until the last two tours ....so I think there is a case for Scotland being a bit more disappointed than most.

Remember the 360 tour in 2010.

they didn’t visit Ireland, UK, Netherlands. That was crazy.

But they did play those countries during the same tour.

Just checked u2gigs. Scotland is the 7th most played country in Europe.

And all six countries above them are getting shows each tour. 

Although in a way I'm hoping they don't announce now as I'm sure like a lot of Scots , I've made other arrangements now and am going to other shows across Europe

Some people might not be so lucky.

Edited by AlanScotland1
  • Like 1

On 15/02/2018 at 6:28 PM, spacko said:

Remember the 360 tour in 2010.

they didn’t visit Ireland, UK, Netherlands. That was crazy.

That is right and folk were peeved. Guess aside a few. Ities (eg Paris) the 3rd leg of the 360 tour went to different cities in Europe than leg 1.

On 12/02/2018 at 10:39 AM, bjhdrums said:

Re: Kristaps reply.  I totally get your point, and actually thought twice about posting my comment for the very reason of all the other countries that U2 have NEVER visited.  I guess after U2's  rich history with my country, I don't want to see Scotland being consigned to a list of places they don't visit anymore.  As Bono sings in "Please" sometimes "You can only feel your own pain".  Sorry if my post has came across as being selfish.  You don't state where you come from, but hope you get to see the band in your country one day.  

More power to you for the self reflection. Totes agree it is cery disappointing re Scotland. But alot to do with Kevin Bridges having a months residence at the SSE Hydro. Perhaps a Scottish date will be announced yet. Or perhaps on another leg. 

On 14/02/2018 at 11:49 PM, AlanScotland1 said:

Agree. Glasgow 2 was epic. Better than a Dublin show I went to. I think they would come to Glasgow if they could. Kevin Bridges SSE Hydro residency does not help logistics. Perhaps they will be another European leg to come. Whatever happens, Scotland should feel lucky they come to town during most tours. JT tour was put together v quickly so they were only ever going to play a limited amount of cities then. Band are also older and cannot fit as many dates in as they once would have done.

Actually looking at the events at the Glasgow Hydro there is nothing currently between 28th October and 10th November - there may be some shows still to be announced. It would be possible for U2 to play Belfast then play Glasgow then play Dublin - they currently have a gap of  7 days between the last Belfast show on the 28th October and the first Dublin show on the 5th November

• Like 1

Given up hope of any Scottish concerts now and basically questioning whether I should keep paying for the website when getting tickets was always the major motivation.

If Uncasville, CT, can get a show, Glasgow's got to be a chance! This is getting ridiculous. Wish this unholy alliance with Live Nation would end!      

To be honest , if they announced a Glasgow gig now I would be a bit pissed off....... If they had announced Glasgow dates initially I would have jumped at the chance and maybe even went for two nights (if they were to do two shows) but I had to bite the bullet, used my code and get tickets for Manchester, sorted out hotel and flights etc but because of the added expense I can only afford one show.

Really, you'd be pissed off that you have to travel 3.5hrs down the road for a U2 show? Life's that tough? Feel some pity for fans from Oz, NZ, Asia, Scandinavia & Eastern Europe. My travel time should be a little over 24 hours I would think.

Why not go to any announced Glasgow shows too. This band won't be around forever.

• Like 1

3.5 hours Aberdeen to Manchester :lol:....I don't live in Glasgow, I'm 3 hours away from there so make that 6.5 hours, nothing admittedly to how far some others will have to travel though.

I'm not moaning about the traveling, it's the fact that because I have a limited budget and with the expense of flights and hotels etc I could have seen two shows in Glasgow instead of the one in Manchester, but as you say though they won't be around for ever and if there was a Glasgow show announced it would be very tempting to go to it! The wife will have other ideas though! :unsure:

Edited by spongebob