Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BigBunny

Bono's voice better on SOE than SOI

sorry if someone has already mentioned this, maybe it doesn't warrant it's own thread. if so mods feel free to merge it with another SOE thread.

last night in bed I decided to listen to 'Son gs Of Innocence' as I haven't listened to it for quite awhile. after that I put 'Songs Of Experience' on and got up to American Soul.

Bono's vocals on SOE are so much better than on Innocence, his voice seems clearer, stronger. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the album's producer?

for SOE Jacknife Lee and a bunch of others produced the album but for Innocence, Danger Mouse and a few others produced it. 

The Killers latest album 'Wonderful Wonderful' was produced by Jacknife Lee and it sounds fantastic! I'm wondering if Bono's vocals on Innocence would be better if Lee had of produced it?? :huh: any thoughts?

I also like Bono's vocals on SOE better than those on SOI - but, I would quickly add that I also really like his vocals on SOI.

Some of the credit for the better sound overall would have to go to Jacknife Lee (remember that he also had most of the production credit for HTDAAB too); however, I also think that Bono's vocal approach and delivery are just better on this album. IMHO, this is one of his very best singing successes - he always sounds good, but he is especially good on this album.

10 hours ago, dmway said:

I also like Bono's vocals on SOE better than those on SOI - but, I would quickly add that I also really like his vocals on SOI.

Some of the credit for the better sound overall would have to go to Jacknife Lee (remember that he also had most of the production credit for HTDAAB too); however, I also think that Bono's vocal approach and delivery are just better on this album. IMHO, this is one of his very best singing successes - he always sounds good, but he is especially good on this album.

I like Bono's vocals on Innocence but when I listen to SOE the difference/improvement is substantial.

I haven't listened to Atomic Bomb in ages but I know when it was released in 2004 I really liked the album. ATYCLB was a real disappointment for me. I know alot of fans have it as their favourite but after the glorious *POP* album it sounded safe & anaemic :mellow: they even ditched all the lovely coloured photos for black & white. one thing I've noticed is that U2's 3 albums from the 90's all have vibrant colour covers. the 00's & SOI & SOE are all black and white.

the only album in the 80's that has a colour photo is October... I just find that interesting. :Zoo_Coffee::Zoo_Cosmo: 

1 hour ago, BigBunny said:

I like Bono's vocals on Innocence but when I listen to SOE the difference/improvement is substantial.

I haven't listened to Atomic Bomb in ages but I know when it was released in 2004 I really liked the album. ATYCLB was a real disappointment for me. I know alot of fans have it as their favourite but after the glorious *POP* album it sounded safe & anaemic :mellow: they even ditched all the lovely coloured photos for black & white. one thing I've noticed is that U2's 3 albums from the 90's all have vibrant colour covers. the 00's & SOI & SOE are all black and white.

the only album in the 80's that has a colour photo is October... I just find that interesting. :Zoo_Coffee::Zoo_Cosmo: 

HTDAAB is probably my favorite post-90s album, although, to be honest, I've really liked every post-90s album...except ATYCLB. That album, IMHO, was overly praised when it first came out and has not aged well at all - I mean, I virtually never listen to it. Even Bono - in the Vertigo tour program no less - didn't have very kind words for it...

Interesting observation about the colors (or lack thereof) of their albums. The 90s covers are among my very favorites; I have to single out UF as well for its color combination beyond the black and white photo - to be fair to SOE, there is quite a bit of blue among the back and white (Is it a sign of colors returning in the future? Stay tuned...).

But, back on topic - Bono is truly in great voice on SOE. May he continue delivering the goods live (which he will), :)

ATYCLB is my least favourite U2 album :mellow: it's bland & dull. they played it safe after *POP* didn't so well :POP_for_the_Planet: *POP* gets no love & it's my favourite along with Achtung Baby.

I actually listened to SOI and SOE back to back the other day (partly to celebrate nabbing an E&I ticket) and I think the main difference is in what parts of his vocal range Bono uses on both albums. On SOI there's quite a lot of high-range singing, whereas on SOE he seems to dip into his lower range a lot more, which sounds like it's a comfortable area for him these days.

i love Bono's voice on SOE more,because it has improved....now he has a deep,intense voice ....especially in Book of your heart it's remarkable!!! i also love the album more than SOI,not only because of Bono's voice...the lyrics are so much better,it comes straight from his heart,you can feel that throughout the whole album!cannot wait to see them in concert in Amsterdam and Dublin!!!!!!!! :) 

34 minutes ago, peterferris8 said:

I actually listened to SOI and SOE back to back the other day (partly to celebrate nabbing an E&I ticket) and I think the main difference is in what parts of his vocal range Bono uses on both albums. On SOI there's quite a lot of high-range singing, whereas on SOE he seems to dip into his lower range a lot more, which sounds like it's a comfortable area for him these days.

but his voice is also clearer ie: easier to hear. high note or not :)

9 minutes ago, u2hl said:

i love Bono's voice on SOE more,because it has improved....now he has a deep,intense voice ....especially in Book of your heart it's remarkable!!! i also love the album more than SOI,not only because of Bono's voice...the lyrics are so much better,it comes straight from his heart,you can feel that throughout the whole album!cannot wait to see them in concert in Amsterdam and Dublin!!!!!!!! :) 

^ the bit I put in bold. I think the lyrics on SOI are very personal & from the heart. they are also very good. examples would be: 

'Song For Someone' 'Iris (Hold Me Close)' 'Cedarwood Road', 'Sleep Like A Baby Tonight' & 'The Troubles'.  < the last 2 I mentioned are my favourites on the album.

9 minutes ago, BigBunny said:

but his voice is also clearer ie: easier to hear. high note or not :)

^ the bit I put in bold. I think the lyrics on SOI are very personal & from the heart. they are also very good. examples would be: 

'Song For Someone' 'Iris (Hold Me Close)' 'Cedarwood Road', 'Sleep Like A Baby Tonight' & 'The Troubles'.  < the last 2 I mentioned are my favourites on the album.

i respect your choice,but i feel more emotional when i listen to SOE! ;)

36 minutes ago, u2hl said:

i respect your choice,but i feel more emotional when i listen to SOE! ;)

respect back B) I said in one of the SOE threads that the 2nd half of the album, songs 7-13 I really love (The Showman though is likeable, a bit of fun) I also love the opening track, it's just lovely.

but tracks 2-6 for me aren't great songs and with U2 I expect great songs. 2 songs that really let the album down for me 'GOOYOW' < weak as, it's Beautiful Day Vol. 2. why it's the next single is beyond me.

the second track is 'American Soul', I like the music but the lyrics. I'm fed up with Bono's obsession with the USA. maybe it's because I'm an Aussie? maybe it's just me, but enough of USA politics B-man fark! <_<

'You're The Best Thing About Me' has grown on me. at first I was like, really? this is the best you can give my ears? lol

23 hours ago, BigBunny said:

ATYCLB is my least favourite U2 album :mellow: it's bland & dull. they played it safe after *POP* didn't so well :POP_for_the_Planet: *POP* gets no love & it's my favourite along with Achtung Baby.

Yes, I love both POP and AB (AB will always be my fave, but I love POP. It was tragically underrated, esp. here in the US - I never understood the dislike from some for that album. It was a sneakily bold album to have made at the time, the third straight bold album in the 90s...)

ATYCLB is very bland - it desperately needed another stomper or two (or more)...

Back on topic: still loving Bono's voice on the new tunes! :)