Sign in to follow this  
pricecelt

Songs youd love to hear on this tour

Anything and everything from Pop.

Always happy to hear the lesser played songs from Achtung Baby and Zooropa.

I'm a little mixed on the new album.  I think the first song is great, I think the first half of the second song is great, and then it kinda loses me until The Showman, which I think is great, and I think from there to the end of the album is brilliant.  So I'd love to hear tracks 1, 2 (love the beginning, but am really bored by the "see yourself to be yourself" chorus at the end), 8-13.  I'm preparing for the idea that they'll probably play all of the stuff I don't love from the record, and very few of the ones I do.

I would really be okay to miss songs like Pride (In The Name Of Love) this time around - that's not a reflection on the song itself, but just the fact that it was played every single night of the 2015 tour and every single night of the 2017 tour.  I think the setlist has become a little crowded with songs that the band has played a ton in previous years, and I think they could afford to rotate some of those songs.  Just the way that Bullet The Blue Sky was featured at almost every single show from the original Joshua Tree tour through the end of the Vertigo tour, and then skipped the 360 tour, or the way that Sunday Bloody Sunday took a rest during ZooTV and some of PopMart, I'd like to see a couple of the warhorses taking a similar break this time around.  It's not that I dislike the songs, but U2 have so many great songs that never get played that I'd like to see some other songs getting a turn.  And I'm not even suggesting that they replace hit songs with obscure songs.  They have enough big hits that haven't been played in a long time that I think they could easily take out a couple of those warhorses, replace them with equally popular songs, and the audience wouldn't even notice they were gone until they thought about it on the way home.

I'd also love to see a different ending to the show.  Many of the 2015 and 2017 shows ended with "One" and it felt maybe a little obligatory rather than passionate.  "One" was also the closing number for PopMart, the second to last number for Elevation, the main set closer for Vertigo, and an encore for 360.  I think it would be exciting to have shows on this new tour ending a little differently.  Could be a new song, could be an old song, but I think it would be fun to see U2 ending the show with a song that hadn't been used extensively as a closing song before.

• Like 1

Interesting that you bring up One. I'd be glad to see it gone entirely as it's never really had a rest ever, save for that one I+E show. I realize the significance of it for the bad, as well as its enduring popularity, makes that unlikely, however.

I agree with much of what vertigojds said as regards giving the old reliable warhorses a rest. The JT30 tour was a good fit for the casual fan... a classic album and a bunch of popular songs and hits. Now on the e+i tour it is mostly committed fans coming out paying to see the band so soon and playing a new album. Therefore I think that the pressure is off the band to play the hits and they have a freedom to dip deeper into their body of work.

"One," is big song for me and I'll still sing along to it loudly and off key. I'd love to hear "Love is bigger..." as the show closer, send us out into the night with a positive message.

On 3/30/2018 at 7:55 PM, hollywoodswag said:

Interesting that you bring up One. I'd be glad to see it gone entirely as it's never really had a rest ever, save for that one I+E show. I realize the significance of it for the bad, as well as its enduring popularity, makes that unlikely, however.

On 3/31/2018 at 4:10 AM, russpm said:

Great song but needs a rest in the live shows IMO

On 3/31/2018 at 4:29 AM, CorkVegan said:

"One," is big song for me and I'll still sing along to it loudly and off key.

I think it would be really interesting to see "One" moved to a much earlier part of the set.  Ever since 1997, for over twenty years now, you go to a U2 show and you not only expect to hear that song, but you also expect to hear it at or near the very end of the show.  It becomes one of those things where you sit there thinking "The show can't be over yet, because they haven't played One yet."  Take the song and put it in the first third of the show, and it'll catch everyone off-guard, and it'll make the rest of the show a little more interesting. 

By doing the Joshua Tree album in sequence during the main set, the band did the same for a lot of JT warhorses that have been at the end of the show for a long time.  Where The Streets Have No Name is a song I absolutely love, but at the same time, it's become traditional to get that at or near the end of the concert.  Same for With Or Without You.  Having those songs played earlier on in the set changes the feel of the entire show.

On 3/31/2018 at 4:29 AM, CorkVegan said:

I'd love to hear "Love is bigger..." as the show closer, send us out into the night with a positive message.

I agree completely.  I think it's one of the very best songs they've ever written.  I think it could have been a big hit around Christmastime if they had put that out as a single instead of the songs they chose.  It really wouldn't be hard for me to imagine people just walking around and humming that on Christmas Eve, and radio playing the hell out of it at that time of year.  I think it was a missed opportunity by the record label.  I'd love to see it as the show closer.  The overriding theme of "Songs Of Experience" really does seem to be love, in all of its varied forms.  The whole point the album seems to be making, to my ears at least, is that love is the only thing that will really last, that money and fame can come and go, that popularity is ephemeral.  Love nourishes the soul, love gives us a direction, love gives us hope.  To me, the song has such tremendous power because in singing that message, Bono also says basically, "Look, I know this sounds ridiculous, I can't believe that I'm even saying this, but I've been all over the world, I've seen everything there is to see, I've done everything there is to do, I've gotten every blessing a man can get, and none of it matters without love."  It's a remarkably naked statement.  He's putting himself out there as a lyricist, opening himself up to being mocked by cynical audience members and cranky critics, and he doesn't let it stop him.  There's a purity to the message in that song.  I love it.

So that, in and of itself, is an amazingly compelling reason to end the show with it.

But I think there's also another thing worth looking at.  I think what new songs a band chooses to play and where they choose to play them in the set says everything about how vital that band is, how relevant it is both to its own audience and the larger culture, and whether the band is merely resting on its laurels or if they're still challenging their audience.  If I'm buying a ticket to see a band I like, and I'm not looking forward to hearing new material, that's not a good sign.  And if the entire show is built around past glories, with just a few nods thrown to the new material, that's also not a good sign.  I kinda hate to say it, but I think the 2015 Innocence & Experience tour was a bit uneven, which is somewhat unexpected for U2.  The first half of the show was absolutely dynamite, weaving together both new songs and old songs, but doing it in a way to tell a new story.  But the second half of that show felt more like a greatest hits concert to me, and the energy in the room changed (from my perspective) when they came back from intermission.  By the time the main part of the set came to an end and the encore began, it was almost as if the band was on cruise control.  The first half of I&E felt relevant, vital, important; the second half felt more like an ordinary concert to me.  And then the older songs in the second half were less exciting to me, because they didn't really tie into the fewer new songs that appeared in the second half.  (Maybe it's just me, but Elevation into Every Breaking Wave was not necessarily the best song transition that U2 has ever had.)  The first half flowed; the second half was a collection of individual songs. 

My big hope for this new tour will be for more consistency, for better sequencing of the songs, and for a show that is as exciting from start to finish as the first half of the I&E show was.  And I think one way to really do that is to have the show building towards an ending with a new song.  If the band decide to end with something like Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way, it'll be exciting to see how they build to that moment in an encore.  It seems like something that would call for a different choice for a lead-in than something like With Or Without You, which is frequently played near the end of the show. 

I loved that 360 ended with a new song (Moment Of Surrender) - I think it was really daring to end the show with a seven minute song that wasn't a quick little upbeat tune.  So many of the songs in that album, No Line On The Horizon, were about being lost, about knowing where you wanted to be, but not being sure how to get there.  Ending the show with a song that really emphasized that theme was a really inspired choice.  I loved that the Vertigo tour often ended with 40 because even though it was an old song, it was a song that hadn't been played regularly in about fifteen years.  It wasn't the expected choice.  The Vertigo tour in many ways had a theme that seemed to tie the band's earliest work with their latest, exploring adulthood in the same way that Boy examined childhood.  40 is a song that works from both the perspective of a younger boy and an older man, and I thought it really tied those themes together.  And I loved that the Elevation tour ended with Walk On, a song which was not only new, but also seemed to explicitly state what had been implicit in the show up until that point.  By comparison, the I&E shows ending with One (or I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For) felt a little more like "Let's play one more crowd pleaser before we check out." 

So yeah... long way of saying, I hope Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way is in consideration for closing song.

• Like 2

If we're talking rarities - 

Hawkmoon 269

Surrender

Indian Summer Sky

Love is Blindness

Every Breaking Wave (but with the full band)

Numb

Gloria

And I always want to hear Bad, but I just got that treat on the JT tour.  ; )

I mean POP is 21, we can buy it a pint, let's take it out on the town boys!

So what would I like to hear? Here are my categories:

Songs I know they won't play: Tomorrow, Seconds, 40, Hawkmoon 269,  Heartland, Still Haven't Found, Falling at Your Feet, Luminous Times, Salome, Acrobat, Grace, Crystal Ballroom

Songs that maaaaybe could make it because POP is 21 and/or work thematically with the new stuff: Discoteque, Mofo, Please, Wake Up Dead Man, If God Will Send His Angels, I Threw a Brick, Love is Blindness, In a Little While, Love and Peace or Else

Songs we could reasonably expect to hear: Streets, This is Where You Can Reach Me Now, Every Breaking Wave (full band), American Soul, Red Flag Day, Little Things, Ordinary Love, You're the Best Thing, The Showman. I have never been to a show that didn't have One and With or Without You, but I could go without.

It would be cool to do a darker first half featuring the Innocence material (and POP! material), a poignant interlude ("Wild Horses", "Little Things", "Summer of Love"), and then BAM! a wildly joyous Experience second half with American Soul, You're the Best Thing, and Love is Bigger.

21 hours ago, DeirdreBell said:

If we're talking rarities - 

Hawkmoon 269

Surrender

Indian Summer Sky

Love is Blindness

Every Breaking Wave (but with the full band)

Numb

Gloria

And I always want to hear Bad, but I just got that treat on the JT tour.  ; )

I'd love to hear Hawkmoon as well, but Bono hitting the notes now on the last verse is a non-starter loll 

I think it's actually just a half step above the high note in Sunday Bloody Sunday.  It's the emotion that's probably hard to hit.  My husband used to sing in a rock band and he was told by a voice teacher that he was screaming all wrong.  Ha ha.

Acrobat would suffice.  And hopefully it will finally come true this time, and hopefully it will be close to the album recording.

I know some of these are pipe dreams, but....

Dirty Day

Last Night On Earth

Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

The Electric Co.

Summer Of Love

The Blackout

Kite

New York

Heartland

Van Diemans Land

Hawkmoon 269