Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BigBunny

GOOYOW is awful. am I missing something?

ok, so I didn't start this thread as clickbait but I am genuinely curious why people like 'Get Out Of Your Own Way'? I've said several times it is Beautiful Day Vol. 2. it builds up slowly like BD does only when you get to the chorus I really could care less? now I don't care for BD as a song, Bono said himself when getting a Grammy for it that "it's got no hook". darn right it doesn't B-Man and neither does GOOYOW. I never thought it was possible but this new single make BD sound great! at least with Beautiful Day it can even pull me in to want to sing the chorus. but ladies & gentlemen, boils & girls this song is so weak, it's anaemic and sounds like it should be on ATYCLB.

U2 why would you choose this song as a single when you have new gems like 'The Little Things That Give You Away', 'Red Flag Day' 'Love Is Bigger Than Anything In It's Way' and 'The Landlady'?? these songs are an utter joy to listen to and remind me why I fell in love with your music. how can you have such great songs on the 2nd half of the album but weak songs like GOOYOW on the same album. I could cut this song out & American Soul and it improves the album. when I get a U2 album, I expect great things as they are a band that you can expect great things from. but GOOYOW, good grief. get out of my ear and skip a couple of tracks to 'Summer Of Love'. 

ok, so for those of you who love this song. please tell me why, what am I missing because I've listened to it plenty of times to try and get it. for me it's not even B-Side material. 

and if there are others like me who wonder why this song is even on the album, please feel free to post. 

why did I start this thread? because I know U2 can do better :Zoo_Guitar:

giphy.gif

Love your passion. Personally I think Get Out Of Your Own Way is a fantastic track. I also think its segway into America Soul is superb - and whilst you don't like that tune either because of it's angst against America or whatever - I just love American Soul because of it's groove.. I don't really listen to the lyric that much, just the thump of the groove.

We all see and hear different stuff in a sound and track.

Good luck BB, You guys deserve some gigs - hopefully soon within the next 10-18 months.

You're missing a tour - and some lettuce! :D

Must admit - the video is fooking awful. Not impressed with that.:mellow:

Oh boy, you dont want to get me started. In an attempt at restraint...

*breathes..*

U2 wanted to go pop. So they, ahem..., invited a pop producer to the U2 camp who I dont think should have been given such a large role but they think he’s a perfect and flawless unicorn who can do no wrong so hey he’s now been handed the keys to the kingdom and a seat at the table of U2. Im still making peace with that... *breathes...meditates...*  Moving on, Much of the poppy stuff is coming from his influence. This song is no different. That said, I enjoy the song. Not love but enjoy. Beautiful Day for me wins hands down as a really great song, timeless, & I do hear its influence but I dont mind. I liked the nods on the album to previous songs. 

The one I didnt get personally was You're the best thing... but loved the video & that Bono wrote it for Ali. Always cute. 

This song I can see how one not too in to pop might not like it. My taste musically is broad so I usually enjoy U2s musical adventures they take us on with a few exceptions. I think pop is super in & has been for a while so perhaps thats why many love this track. I think they are choosing the pop songs as singles because pop is what is popular.

Also, Bono & Edge live in the US much of the time so I think the US politics are from that. Its basically a mess right now & as a US citizen having to live thru the mess feeling helpless I can appreciate the political stuff, its a nice gesture that I am appreciating. 

Just do what I do, create playlists with the stuff you love to here & put away the rest. ;)

15 hours ago, yardie said:

Love your passion. Personally I think Get Out Of Your Own Way is a fantastic track. I also think its segway into America Soul is superb - and whilst you don't like that tune either because of it's angst against America or whatever - I just love American Soul because of it's groove.. I don't really listen to the lyric that much, just the thump of the groove.

We all see and hear different stuff in a sound and track.

Good luck BB, You guys deserve some gigs - hopefully soon within the next 10-18 months.

Hi yardie,

thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.

I don't like the segway to American Soul. I love The Beatitudes and for me altering Jesus words to suit a song, I really don't appreciate it. in the credits 'The Message' by Eugene Peterson is given credit wtf? <_< now I know Bono loves 'The Message' but he knows that it is not a Bible. it's a paraphrase by a poet putting his words in place of what Jesus said. I'm a Christian, so obviously I ain't down with this at all. any Christian worth their salt that doesn't have their discernment radar on could sadly fall for this 'Message' book. now, I'm not questioning Bono's salvation but I think he's making a mistake reading The Message and not one of those Bibles he's stolen from a hotel room.

what Kendrick Lamar (sp??) says in between GOOYOW & Amercan Soul, is not what is in The Message. he's obviously been asked to give that input between those 2 songs. what Peterson did to The Beatitudes in his paraphrase "Bible" is just awful and I'm being kind. it's actually heresy. 

this is The Beatitudes

Matthew 5:3-12 King James Version (KJV)

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

^ that is beautiful. why anyone would want to alter it and paraphrase it is beyond me.

I love the groove & rock of American Soul but sadly I can't hear past the lyrics. this obsession with the USA, like it's the centre of the world :Zoo_Baby:

10 hours ago, Shannon387 said:

Oh boy, you dont want to get me started. In an attempt at restraint...

*breathes..*

U2 wanted to go pop. So they, ahem..., invited a pop producer to the U2 camp who I dont think should have been given such a large role but they think he’s a perfect and flawless unicorn who can do no wrong so hey he’s now been handed the keys to the kingdom and a seat at the table of U2. Im still making peace with that... *breathes...meditates...*  Moving on, Much of the poppy stuff is coming from his influence. This song is no different. That said, I enjoy the song. Not love but enjoy. Beautiful Day for me wins hands down as a really great song, timeless, & I do hear its influence but I dont mind. I liked the nods on the album to previous songs. 

The one I didnt get personally was You're the best thing... but loved the video & that Bono wrote it for Ali. Always cute. 

This song I can see how one not too in to pop might not like it. My taste musically is broad so I usually enjoy U2s musical adventures they take us on with a few exceptions. I think pop is super in & has been for a while so perhaps thats why many love this track. I think they are choosing the pop songs as singles because pop is what is popular.

Also, Bono & Edge live in the US much of the time so I think the US politics are from that. Its basically a mess right now & as a US citizen having to live thru the mess feeling helpless I can appreciate the political stuff, its a nice gesture that I am appreciating. 

Just do what I do, create playlists with the stuff you love to here & put away the rest. ;)

Hi Shannon387,

thank you also for your response. 

a "perfect and flawless unicorn" lol I love what Jacknife Lee did on The Killers latest album, it sounds great. he's also made Bono's vocals come more to the forefront which I love. I don't mind YTBTAM but at first I was like, what? this is what we've been waiting for?? the song that I really like that Bono wrote for Ali is 'The Landlady' < on my 2nd listen I realised he was singing about her. for me if U2 want to go pop, they already did that in 1997 with the *POP* album

:POP_for_the_Planet: :Mirrorball:

1 hour ago, Shannon387 said:

Oh I wasnt talking about Jacknife Lee. His work I appreciate. Ryan is the Pop Producer. ;) 

oh so you were talking abou the *POP* album in your post. sorry I didn't pick up on that. I haven't looked at the *POP* booklet for awhile so I actually don't know who produced it. 

50 minutes ago, BigBunny said:

oh so you were talking abou the *POP* album in your post. sorry I didn't pick up on that. I haven't looked at the *POP* booklet for awhile so I actually don't know who produced it. 

No I was referring to this album. Sorry for being vague. Its early for me right now. Must have coffee.

:Zoo_Coffee:

If you look at the Producer credits Ryan Tedder Produced on this album too. Jacknife was the main Producer but Ryan was just behind him having been given a bigger Producer role than last time. He produced a couple songs on SOI & now much more on SOE. Much of the poppy sounds in this album are coming from him, not necessarily  Jacknife. If your wondering where its coming from, its Ryan. I.E., Your the best thing, Get out of your own way, Summer of Love, The Showman, & I think nearly all the songs on the album have his Producer touch.

Ryan is a pop music Producer & also the lead singer for OneRepublic. He used to be a cool guy I thought as a long time fan of his band.  Success has gone to his head it appears. He can be kind of a jerk.

43 minutes ago, Shannon387 said:

No I was referring to this album. Sorry for being vague. Its early for me right now. Must have coffee.

:Zoo_Coffee:

If you look at the Producer credits Ryan Tedder Produced on this album too. Jacknife was the main Producer but Ryan was just behind him having been given a bigger Producer role than last time. He produced a couple songs on SOI & now much more on SOE. Much of the poppy sounds in this album are coming from him, not necessarily  Jacknife. If your wondering where its coming from, its Ryan. I.E., Your the best thing, Get out of your own way, Summer of Love, The Showman, & I think nearly all the songs on the album have his Producer touch.

Ryan is a pop music Producer & also the lead singer for OneRepublic. He used to be a cool guy I thought as a long time fan of his band.  Success has gone to his head it appears. He can be kind of a jerk.

thanks for that info. I have never heard of this Ryan Tedder before but the songs you said he produced, I only have a bit of time for 'Summer Of Love'. YTBTAM has grown on me but it's still not what I want from U2.

oh a coffee, now I want one. it's very early here just after 1pm. I was going to have a cuppa tea but I'm thinking I should head back to bed maybe. 

I loved the song until I saw the video.  They've really upped the bar on how far they are willing to push their political propaganda.

20 hours ago, drumu2 said:

I loved the song until I saw the video.  They've really upped the bar on how far they are willing to push their political propaganda.

really? it's that bad that you no longer like the song? :blink: dang, I'll have to watch to see what you are talking about.

edit: ok I just watched the video and I agree it is bloody awful! <_< I left a comment on YouTube and this is most of it.

this video has to be the worst U2 video I have ever seen. having the KKK walk down the street outside the White House, coming home from work in a White KKK outfit. wtf is U2 trying to say? that the average American is a racist son of a b*tch? I'm an Aussie and I can see through this sh*t. Bono & co. you need to stop preaching like you guys are the moral compass of the world. Get Off Of Your High Horse more likely

On 1/20/2018 at 10:13 AM, BigBunny said:

ok, so I didn't start this thread as clickbait but I am genuinely curious why people like 'Get Out Of Your Own Way'? I've said several times it is Beautiful Day Vol. 2. it builds up slowly like BD does only when you get to the chorus I really could care less? now I don't care for BD as a song, Bono said himself when getting a Grammy for it that "it's got no hook". darn right it doesn't B-Man and neither does GOOYOW. I never thought it was possible but this new single make BD sound great! at least with Beautiful Day it can even pull me in to want to sing the chorus. but ladies & gentlemen, boils & girls this song is so weak, it's anaemic and sounds like it should be on ATYCLB.

U2 why would you choose this song as a single when you have new gems like 'The Little Things That Give You Away', 'Red Flag Day' 'Love Is Bigger Than Anything In It's Way' and 'The Landlady'?? these songs are an utter joy to listen to and remind me why I fell in love with your music. how can you have such great songs on the 2nd half of the album but weak songs like GOOYOW on the same album. I could cut this song out & American Soul and it improves the album. when I get a U2 album, I expect great things as they are a band that you can expect great things from. but GOOYOW, good grief. get out of my ear and skip a couple of tracks to 'Summer Of Love'. 

ok, so for those of you who love this song. please tell me why, what am I missing because I've listened to it plenty of times to try and get it. for me it's not even B-Side material. 

and if there are others like me who wonder why this song is even on the album, please feel free to post. 

why did I start this thread? because I know U2 can do better :Zoo_Guitar:

giphy.gif

Agree.  However, i think the entire album is weak as were the last 2.  

On 1/21/2018 at 7:04 AM, BigBunny said:

I don't like the segway to American Soul. I love The Beatitudes and for me altering Jesus words to suit a song, I really don't appreciate it.

That was my initial reaction as well.  I hated that segue, but only initially.  I literally did not think I'd be able to listen to any more of the cd.  I did not think I'd be able to go to the shows.  That is how seriously I take this.

After considering the lyrical content, I don't find it offensive.  I would not have had the cajones to do that segue, but if you listen to what is said...it mirrors the Beatitudes. It does not imitate them.  It does not take them hostage.  I know Bono's a Catholic and so am I.  I've spent hours contemplating and thinking about this. After my initial shock, it started to make sense.  My heart told me to dig deeper, so I did. 

I do not know how many hours were spent deciding if I should or should deliver that lyrical content on SOE, as I am not Bono.  I do look at what Bono has done over a long period of time.  He has always stood up for the oppressed and those in need.  He had always stood upon that precipice.  I do not know what inspired him to include that segue, but who am I to judge?  Nobody.  I don't want to be judged.  All I can do is discern my own understanding, which is what I did.  ( I am not accusing anyone of judging.)

Here are two examples of the understandings which lead me to see this differently:

-Blessed are the rich for you can only truly own what you give away....It is said, by Christ, that it is easier for a rich man to get through the eye of a needle than the gate of Heaven.

-Blessed are the bullies for they shall have to stand up to their own selves....Jesus said we should love one another.

I could list each one of the statements in that segue, but I think the above two suffice.  I feel very uncomfortable even writing this.

For each one that mirrors the Beatitudes; there is something applicable which is contained in the Gospels.

It seems, to me, that the Beatitudes are being reflected upon and brought into the current mess that is America. 

We've had 11 school shootings in two weeks.  It's not even the end of the first month of the new year. How many more?  How long?  Nothing is being done about gun control.  We can't even keep our government running.  It's bad, and it's both sides; not just one.  Leading is about serving; not joining the ranks of the elite.  I read and read.  I watch and watch.  Well over 2,000 licensed psychiatrists have now joined to say our current President is not fit to rule when one considers the larger world ramifications.  America is on edge and much of the world is as well.  Any world leader bullying others is not a good thing.

What really shocked me is that each thing in that segue applies not just to America, but to life in general. 

One need not have religious conviction to agree with what is said in that segue, and I think that is brilliant.  What was offensive may well now be one of the greatest lyrical expressions I've encountered.

If you listen carefully to what is said in the end of GOOYOW and the beginning of American Soul...none of those statements are in opposition to the message of Christ in the Gospels.

Would I have done that?  No. Would I do it in my own artistic expression?  If in my heart I felt it was right...yes, I would.

It did take me hours of contemplation to come to this assessment as it's immensely complicated.  I love contemplating and I'm afforded the time to do it.  This is my understanding and opinion.  I realize many other understandings could be taken from that segue without considering the Beatitudes, which is why I now think it's so increibly brilliant.

I do understand why you feel the way you do, BigBunny.  I respect your opinion and conviction.

On a lighter note: We just can't avoid each other, hey?  :)

On 1/29/2018 at 8:59 AM, rixchix said:

ok, so I didn't start this thread as clickbait but I am genuinely curious why people like 'Get Out Of Your Own Way'?

Let's forget that segue....I like it because, for me, it fits.  It's not my favorite(s) on the album.  I don't like that ha ah ah part but I really like the song.  I've said I love when Adam's bass gets going.  I like how it's gentle and builds.  I like how The Edge's guitar builds into the guitar solo and song's crescendo.  I like how it makes me feel.  I do think there are much stronger tracks on the album.  I thought The Little Things... was the next single.  I also like the video. I know you do not.  It is very provocative.  It is obviously meant to invoke an emotional response.  I can see where people would have a negative one.  I do not.  We see it from different perspectives. (the video).  I'm in America.  I've watched things build to where they are right now.  It's not good, but I believe in hope.

I can see where you or others might not like the song,  but I do.  Apples and oranges?

Manohlive, I have the Beatitudes beside my bed. those words mean alot to me. I don't know if offence is the right word I'd put to what Bono has done. the guy reads The Message which imo is heresy. I can't believe biblegateway.com even has that as a choice of Bible. it's not the Bible, it's Eugene Peterson's paraphrase of the Word of God. now I know many people don't believe The Bible is the Word of God but I do. Peterson's version of the Beatitudes makes me want to puke. I can't believe Bono wants to read The Message instead of an actual Bible. King James or the 1984 NIV.

Matthew 5:3-12 The Message (MSG)

“You’re blessed when you’re at the end of your rope. With less of you there is more of God and his rule.

“You’re blessed when you feel you’ve lost what is most dear to you. Only then can you be embraced by the One most dear to you.

“You’re blessed when you’re content with just who you are—no more, no less. That’s the moment you find yourselves proud owners of everything that can’t be bought.

“You’re blessed when you’ve worked up a good appetite for God. He’s food and drink in the best meal you’ll ever eat.

“You’re blessed when you care. At the moment of being ‘care-full,’ you find yourselves cared for.

“You’re blessed when you get your inside world—your mind and heart—put right. Then you can see God in the outside world.

“You’re blessed when you can show people how to cooperate instead of compete or fight. That’s when you discover who you really are, and your place in God’s family.

10 “You’re blessed when your commitment to God provokes persecution. The persecution drives you even deeper into God’s kingdom.

11-12 “Not only that—count yourselves blessed every time people put you down or throw you out or speak lies about you to discredit me. What it means is that the truth is too close for comfort and they are uncomfortable. You can be glad when that happens—give a cheer, even!—for though they don’t like it, I do! And all heaven applauds. And know that you are in good company. My prophets and witnesses have always gotten into this kind of trouble.

^ if you can read that and not be concerned at what Peterson has done with The Beatitudes and The Bible then I sincerely suggest you check your discernment. Peterson has altered the Word of God. that's heresy. 

I've prayed for spiritual discernment alot in my life and many people including Christians (or people who claim to be Christians) fall for this Message "Bible?... same thing goes for 'The Shack' < that book & movie is sold in Christian bookshops <_< people defend it saying 'it's not suppose to be taken literally' well, the author himself said he was making a new theology. 

I know nothing of Eugene Peterson.  What you just posted is not what is said in the segue between GOOYOW and American Soul.  I don't want to argue or beleaguer this topic.  I'm uncomfortable even discussing it.  I understand why you find it offensive. 

I found the segue on SOE offensive at first.  Good art provokes thought.  Good art challenges the status quo.  That is what the segue did for me; it provoked thought.  After thinking it through and contemplating, I no longer found it to be offensive.  I sincerely can understand why you do.

I believe the gospels contain the word of God.  The rest is a history of man's relationship with God.

That Eugene Peterson stuff you posted...I want nothing to do with it.  I don't know the context or anything about him. I don't care to know.  I don't want to put the time into reading it all and then reading whatever else I'd have to read and then thinking so I can form an opinion.

I'm happy with where I am at with this.  I took an artistic expression which challenged me and questioned it.  I formed my own interpretation of its meaning and that's where it ends for me. 

I understand why you are offended.  I am not.  Cool?

In general, not directed at any individual here, but If ya don't like it fine, stop questioning others taste in music or choices, no one forced you to buy it, or listen to it. Send your ticket money to charity and stop, live and let live, life's too short. Or compose, write better yourselves! Music is a message or sometimes not, it is up to the individual what's taken from it. It's  been used on/ against  war, political, racial issues, injustices since 1960's and even much earlier blues kings and queens , that ain't gonna change,  till all music is made by boy bands, and artists who can't play 3 chords correctly live (but look good)...  Now that would be poor wouldn't it....? Punk, for example wasn't political at all was it.....?...lol ...I'm not offended, glad to hear and see them soon again! Keep on keepin' on guys.  

3 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I know nothing of Eugene Peterson.  What you just posted is not what is said in the segue between GOOYOW and American Soul.  I don't want to argue or beleaguer this topic.  I'm uncomfortable even discussing it.  I understand why you find it offensive. 

I found the segue on SOE offensive at first.  Good art provokes thought.  Good art challenges the status quo.  That is what the segue did for me; it provoked thought.  After thinking it through and contemplating, I no longer found it to be offensive.  I sincerely can understand why you do.

I believe the gospels contain the word of God.  The rest is a history of man's relationship with God.

That Eugene Peterson stuff you posted...I want nothing to do with it.  I don't know the context or anything about him. I don't care to know.  I don't want to put the time into reading it all and then reading whatever else I'd have to read and then thinking so I can form an opinion.

I'm happy with where I am at with this.  I took an artistic expression which challenged me and questioned it.  I formed my own interpretation of its meaning and that's where it ends for me. 

I understand why you are offended.  I am not.  Cool?

we are cool Manohlive, of course we are beer.gif.21fd277a65a6734ddd667d8bd4e6fc42.gif  you don't know it but you already have had something to do with The Message. read who the credit was given to for the "Blessed are the..." part in the segue. They Message by Eugene Peterson < so it was inspired by The Message. it's really small on the booklet but you'll find it, when I saw it I was like dang Bono & co. If Bono is using that as his Bible that's dangerous. I know why he likes The Message, because he's an artist. The Message also is popular with many people as it is a watered down gospel at best (I'm being generous there). it's not a word for word translation, it's one poet's paraphrase of the New Testament. 

1 hour ago, Alexpennycook said:

In general, not directed at any individual here, but If ya don't like it fine, stop questioning others taste in music or choices, no one forced you to buy it, or listen to it. Send your ticket money to charity and stop, live and let live, life's too short. Or compose, write better yourselves! Music is a message or sometimes not, it is up to the individual what's taken from it. It's  been used on/ against  war, political, racial issues, injustices since 1960's and even much earlier blues kings and queens , that ain't gonna change,  till all music is made by boy bands, and artists who can't play 3 chords correctly live (but look good)...  Now that would be poor wouldn't it....? Punk, for example wasn't political at all was it.....?...lol ...I'm not offended, glad to hear and see them soon again! Keep on keepin' on guys.  

I don't understand the point of your post? at the end of my original post I asked this...

On 21/01/2018 at 12:13 AM, BigBunny said:

so for those of you who love this song. please tell me why, what am I missing because I've listened to it plenty of times to try and get it. for me it's not even B-Side material. 

you didn't tell me why you like the song... Manohlive told me why he likes the song but even he admits the "aah ah ah" part is cringe worthy. what do you mean by 'If ya don't like it fine, stop questioning others taste in music or choices, no one forced you to buy it, or listen to it. Send your ticket money to charity and stop, live and let live, life's too short. Or compose, write better yourselves!" < how many times have I read stuff like that on forums. I'm not a musician, this is what U2 do for a living. I'm a fan of 25 years, I'm allowed to not like a song. as stated in my original post I honestly want to know why some U2 fans like this song and another thing why, oh why did U2 choose this as the single to follow YTBTAM doh.gif.9f973ec76b90db7c3d44da29fb35a2e4.gif 

I'm going to go and read my original post again because I'm pretty sure I'm not "questioning others taste in music". I genuinely want to know why people like this song and @Manohlive I really don't think Adam's bass is that great on this song... and to find out if you are right about it I'd have to listen to the song again... and I don't want to do that. please don't make me listen again reaction.gif.d5a061e8c7c9cb29835eafabc28e6c99.gif

18 minutes ago, BigBunny said:

YTBTAM

Why does it take me five minutes to realize what song it is when y'all mention them in this way?   'Y...You...no, it's not you can't and that's a b so it's not dismantle...hmm....onto a different album...'.   @#$%!  I have literally had to go find the cd(s) to discern which song ya mean. I'm not fibbin'.  I've dug out the cds many times only then I need glasses or something to read the fricking cd case.   sigh.     :(

18 minutes ago, BigBunny said:

If Bono is using that as his Bible that's dangerous.

None of us knows what Bono does or does not do, save that which Bono shares with us.  It is dangerous to presume with faith, albeit our own or that of another, as each is an individual and unique path.   I'm not saying you are or are not, however; that is what is dangerous if there is any danger.  Bono proudly wears a rosary from St. John Paul II.  I think it may be okay to assume he knows a real Bible from a fake one.  Know what I mean?  :)

13 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

Why does it take me five minutes to realize what song it is when y'all mention them in this way?   'Y...You...no, it's not you can't and that's a b so it's not dismantle...hmm....onto a different album...'.   @#$%!  I have literally had to go find the cd(s) to discern which song ya mean. I'm not fibbin'.  I've dug out the cds many times only then I need glasses or something to read the fricking cd case.   sigh.     :(

None of us knows what Bono does or does not do save that which Bono shares with us.  It is dangerous to presume with faith.  I'm not saying you are or are not, however; that is what is dangerous if there is any danger.  Bono proudly wears a rosary from St. John Paul II.  I think it may be okay to assume he knows a real Bible from a fake one.  That is not a dig at you.  People have reminded me of similar things when I'm speaking out of passion.  I like your passion as it seems you've a very good heart.

hey, I meant to ask you how was the dog walk?  (reply in message if ya want)

above I stated, I would never question another person's salvation (unless they are in a cult, of which I won't mention the many that are out there). I think Bono is saved but I think his artistic side makes him gravitate towards The Message. I'm not a Catholic so I put no importance on a rosary. I'm not having a dig against you Manohlive, I know you are a Catholic as are a few people on here. myself, I have the Martyrs Cross that I wear if/when I go out. it was designed by The Voice of the Martyrs https://www.persecution.com/ I bought a couple years ago and had it made into white gold. 

edit: sorry about breaking the songs done to the first letter of each word. I think it's the newer songs that are harder to read. U2 have some really long song titles, especially in recent years.

I was just kidding around, BB.  It's all good.  I think that with the Beatitudes discussion, things go intense.  We need to remember that others do not share our similar, but unique, convictions.  I fear it might be an imposition.  I'm a writer.  I overdo so I wanted to lighten things a bit.  Ask me how the dog walk I'm about to take is because the wind chill is below zero, darnit!  You're an Aussie...find some good wool, put it in a bottle and push it out to sea in my general direction?   ha ha. 

7 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

I was just kidding around, BB.  It's all good.  I think that with the Beatitudes discussion, things go intense.  We need to remember that others do not share our similar, but unique, convictions.  I fear it might be an imposition.  I'm a writer.  I overdo so I wanted to lighten things a bit.  Ask me how the dog walk I'm about to take is because the wind chill is below zero, darnit!  You're an Aussie...find some good wool, put it in a bottle and push it out to sea in my general direction?   ha ha. 

if you look at my original post I didn't even mention the Beatitudes part. I was talking about the structure of the song, that it's similar to Beautiful Day. that it's as weak song. I think @yardie brought up B-Man's Beatitudes? *scrolls up to look*... yep, it was yardie who brought that up. I blame you man! what do you have to say for yourself ya Irish bastard? beer.gif.21ff5b22af90b0e771e09eed86c1adc1.gif  I didn't think of that part as part of GOOYOW but for 'American Soul'... even though part of it is at the end of GOOYOW.

oh and I found some lyrics in GOOYOW that I actually like... yes, you read that right. no, you are not hallucinating. these are the lyrics I like. "the slaves are looking for someone to lead them, the Master's looking for someone to need him" < now that's from memory, I didn't cut and paste that so if I'm not 100% on the lyrics that's why.

I don't have any sheep nearby, what do you think I am a New Zealander? heh.gif.ea1085831276c6e6352cda896e151a0e.gif I got 3 cats that insist on leaving their fur everywhere, I'll gather that up and send it to you via emu... wait, they don't fly. no that won't work. 

I was not calling you out...I was reminding my own self!

38 minutes ago, BigBunny said:

"the slaves are looking for someone to lead them, the Master's looking for someone to need him"

That is my favorite line in the song.  It may be my favorite on the album, however; I'm still grooving and dancing to the music too much to remember all the lyrical content.  Groove, dance and listen to the lyrics?  I'm not that ambidextrous.  I might fall down and go boom and I'm in no shape to be bangin' mah head.   New Zealand is not that far from Australia.  If I'm hoping and praying the EI tour hits you both...don't ya think the least you could do is go for a swim?  I doubt there are any saltie crocs once you get past the reef, so I say go for it. Exercise is a good thing, no?   :)

I'm cold, darnit!  Do they have cashmere?  If so, I prefer it. 

1 hour ago, Manohlive said:

I was not calling you out...I was reminding my own self!

That is my favorite line in the song.  It may be my favorite on the album, however; I'm still grooving and dancing to the music too much to remember all the lyrical content.  Groove, dance and listen to the lyrics?  I'm not that ambidextrous.  I might fall down and go boom and I'm in no shape to be bangin' mah head.   New Zealand is not that far from Australia.  If I'm hoping and praying the EI tour hits you both...don't ya think the least you could do is go for a swim?  I doubt there are any saltie crocs once you get past the reef, so I say go for it. Exercise is a good thing, no?   :)

I'm cold, darnit!  Do they have cashmere?  If so, I prefer it. 

I'm on the West Coast of Oz, nowhere near Middle Earth. the only country I would like to visit is NZ... if I was on the East coast it could be a goer?? I'd take every LOTR/Hobbit tour there is! B)