Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BigBunny

GOOYOW is awful. am I missing something?

10 hours ago, Alexpennycook said:

In general, not directed at any individual here, but If ya don't like it fine, stop questioning others taste in music or choices, no one forced you to buy it, or listen to it. Send your ticket money to charity and stop, live and let live, life's too short. Or compose, write better yourselves! Music is a message or sometimes not, it is up to the individual what's taken from it. It's  been used on/ against  war, political, racial issues, injustices since 1960's and even much earlier blues kings and queens , that ain't gonna change,  till all music is made by boy bands, and artists who can't play 3 chords correctly live (but look good)...  Now that would be poor wouldn't it....? Punk, for example wasn't political at all was it.....?...lol ...I'm not offended, glad to hear and see them soon again! Keep on keepin' on guys.  

Nobody's taste in music is being questioned. We're all here because we love the band. As BB said she was genuinely asking people who love the song and what they saw in it.

Regarding the rest, hey this is a forum for discussing stuff. I think this can be done civilly without telling people to be quiet who are genuinely expressing their feelings and dismissing opinions which differ from your own. You expressing your distaste for boy bands is a prime example of an opinion expressed which may not be widely accepted by everyone. I'm not defending boy bands, just making a point. 

And if you listen closely even the BEAT is exactly like on B-Day....... But it's way worse than B-Day....B-Day sound experimental and really great compared to it....

This being said....I totally agree with your post, thanks for putting it up, @BigBunny !!!!!

On 1/21/2018 at 5:52 PM, BigBunny said:

oh so you were talking abou the *POP* album in your post. sorry I didn't pick up on that. I haven't looked at the *POP* booklet for awhile so I actually don't know who produced it. 

Flood, Steve Osborne, Mike SPIKE Stent, Ben Hillier, Neele Hooper, Howie B - produced *POP* (1997) !

For everyone's clarification, YTBTAM = You're the BEst THing About mE....For other questions about stuff like this, feel free to ask me, guys !

On 2/1/2018 at 12:08 AM, Manohlive said:

That was my initial reaction as well.  I hated that segue, but only initially.  I literally did not think I'd be able to listen to any more of the cd.  I did not think I'd be able to go to the shows.  That is how seriously I take this.

After considering the lyrical content, I don't find it offensive.  I would not have had the cajones to do that segue, but if you listen to what is said...it mirrors the Beatitudes. It does not imitate them.  It does not take them hostage.  I know Bono's a Catholic and so am I.  I've spent hours contemplating and thinking about this. After my initial shock, it started to make sense.  My heart told me to dig deeper, so I did. 

I do not know how many hours were spent deciding if I should or should deliver that lyrical content on SOE, as I am not Bono.  I do look at what Bono has done over a long period of time.  He has always stood up for the oppressed and those in need.  He had always stood upon that precipice.  I do not know what inspired him to include that segue, but who am I to judge?  Nobody.  I don't want to be judged.  All I can do is discern my own understanding, which is what I did.  ( I am not accusing anyone of judging.)

Here are two examples of the understandings which lead me to see this differently:

-Blessed are the rich for you can only truly own what you give away....It is said, by Christ, that it is easier for a rich man to get through the eye of a needle than the gate of Heaven.

-Blessed are the bullies for they shall have to stand up to their own selves....Jesus said we should love one another.

I could list each one of the statements in that segue, but I think the above two suffice.  I feel very uncomfortable even writing this.

For each one that mirrors the Beatitudes; there is something applicable which is contained in the Gospels.

It seems, to me, that the Beatitudes are being reflected upon and brought into the current mess that is America. 

We've had 11 school shootings in two weeks.  It's not even the end of the first month of the new year. How many more?  How long?  Nothing is being done about gun control.  We can't even keep our government running.  It's bad, and it's both sides; not just one.  Leading is about serving; not joining the ranks of the elite.  I read and read.  I watch and watch.  Well over 2,000 licensed psychiatrists have now joined to say our current President is not fit to rule when one considers the larger world ramifications.  America is on edge and much of the world is as well.  Any world leader bullying others is not a good thing.

What really shocked me is that each thing in that segue applies not just to America, but to life in general. 

One need not have religious conviction to agree with what is said in that segue, and I think that is brilliant.  What was offensive may well now be one of the greatest lyrical expressions I've encountered.

If you listen carefully to what is said in the end of GOOYOW and the beginning of American Soul...none of those statements are in opposition to the message of Christ in the Gospels.

Would I have done that?  No. Would I do it in my own artistic expression?  If in my heart I felt it was right...yes, I would.

It did take me hours of contemplation to come to this assessment as it's immensely complicated.  I love contemplating and I'm afforded the time to do it.  This is my understanding and opinion.  I realize many other understandings could be taken from that segue without considering the Beatitudes, which is why I now think it's so increibly brilliant.

I do understand why you feel the way you do, BigBunny.  I respect your opinion and conviction.

On a lighter note: We just can't avoid each other, hey?  :)

Wow thanks for sharing, you put into words what I had in my heart the first couple of times I heard the song.  I look forward to hearing the song live.  Cheers

On 03/02/2018 at 7:45 AM, pain_18_ said:

And if you listen closely even the BEAT is exactly like on B-Day....... But it's way worse than B-Day....B-Day sound experimental and really great compared to it....

This being said....I totally agree with your post, thanks for putting it up, @BigBunny !!!!!

Larry must be thinking, 'I know I've played this sh*t before' heh.gif.8fcc30361907e942086114ec42327fd9.gif and you're most welcome for the thread piesmiley.gif.4d52dfebc35865a3cf77b649ee3bb3b2.gif

On 1/21/2018 at 7:04 AM, BigBunny said:

I know Bono loves 'The Message' but he knows that it is not a Bible. it's a paraphrase by a poet putting his words in place of what Jesus said. I'm a Christian, so obviously I ain't down with this at all. any Christian worth their salt that doesn't have their discernment radar on could sadly fall for this 'Message' book. now, I'm not questioning Bono's salvation but I think he's making a mistake reading The Message and not one of those Bibles he's stolen from a hotel room.

Hi BigBunny! Thanks for your contributions to this community. I'm just getting started here, and I love being with fellow fans.

I wanted to say that both U2 and The Message were huge parts of me becoming a Christian. I was raised in church with King James and then (gasp!) NIVs, but those Bibles felt like scary books that you copied from as punishment in Sunday School. I certainly didn't want to read the Bible and consequently had no idea what was in there.

When I first heard "Love Rescue Me" and "Acrobat" at the age of 21, my world shattered. I finally realized that I needed rescuing. A few months later (unrelated to U2) I was handed a copy of The Message. I devoured it and finally understood the Good News. In fact, I was shocked and angry that after being raised in Church, nobody had ever told it to me the way Peterson (and Bono) did. I gave my life to Christ two months later.

I realize U2's words are not God's words and neither are Eugene Peterson's. But I believe God calls people to speak His truth from their own perspectives, so that the maximum amount of people can understand God's love and power.

Because U2 and Eugene Petersen were faithful to their calling, I get to go to Heaven and live forever.

Just my perspective.

On 24/02/2018 at 4:06 AM, Stellaria said:

Hi BigBunny! Thanks for your contributions to this community. I'm just getting started here, and I love being with fellow fans.

I wanted to say that both U2 and The Message were huge parts of me becoming a Christian. I was raised in church with King James and then (gasp!) NIVs, but those Bibles felt like scary books that you copied from as punishment in Sunday School. I certainly didn't want to read the Bible and consequently had no idea what was in there.

When I first heard "Love Rescue Me" and "Acrobat" at the age of 21, my world shattered. I finally realized that I needed rescuing. A few months later (unrelated to U2) I was handed a copy of The Message. I devoured it and finally understood the Good News. In fact, I was shocked and angry that after being raised in Church, nobody had ever told it to me the way Peterson (and Bono) did. I gave my life to Christ two months later.

I realize U2's words are not God's words and neither are Eugene Peterson's. But I believe God calls people to speak His truth from their own perspectives, so that the maximum amount of people can understand God's love and power.

Because U2 and Eugene Petersen were faithful to their calling, I get to go to Heaven and live forever.

Just my perspective.

I respectfully disagree with you. God does not call people to alter his word so that it is more palatable to people. The Message will not help anyone to understand God's plan for salvation through Jesus Christ dying on the cross for the sin of the world. U2 & Eugene Petersen are telling you what you want to hear, not what you need to hear. I'm afraid your perspective is not Biblical. the King James Version of the Bible is the closest word for word translation of the original texts. The Message is just a mess and Eugene Petersen is making alot of money out of creating his own version of the Bible.

On 1/21/2018 at 8:04 AM, BigBunny said:

Hi yardie,

thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.

I don't like the segway to American Soul. I love The Beatitudes and for me altering Jesus words to suit a song, I really don't appreciate it. in the credits 'The Message' by Eugene Peterson is given credit wtf? <_< now I know Bono loves 'The Message' but he knows that it is not a Bible. it's a paraphrase by a poet putting his words in place of what Jesus said. I'm a Christian, so obviously I ain't down with this at all. any Christian worth their salt that doesn't have their discernment radar on could sadly fall for this 'Message' book. now, I'm not questioning Bono's salvation but I think he's making a mistake reading The Message and not one of those Bibles he's stolen from a hotel room.

what Kendrick Lamar (sp??) says in between GOOYOW & Amercan Soul, is not what is in The Message. he's obviously been asked to give that input between those 2 songs. what Peterson did to The Beatitudes in his paraphrase "Bible" is just awful and I'm being kind. it's actually heresy. 

this is The Beatitudes

Matthew 5:3-12 King James Version (KJV)

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

^ that is beautiful. why anyone would want to alter it and paraphrase it is beyond me.

I love the groove & rock of American Soul but sadly I can't hear past the lyrics. this obsession with the USA, like it's the centre of the world :Zoo_Baby:

Hi Shannon387,

thank you also for your response. 

a "perfect and flawless unicorn" lol I love what Jacknife Lee did on The Killers latest album, it sounds great. he's also made Bono's vocals come more to the forefront which I love. I don't mind YTBTAM but at first I was like, what? this is what we've been waiting for?? the song that I really like that Bono wrote for Ali is 'The Landlady' < on my 2nd listen I realised he was singing about her. for me if U2 want to go pop, they already did that in 1997 with the *POP* album

:POP_for_the_Planet: :Mirrorball:

As a Christian, I'm assuming you know that every translation of the Bible is exactly that -- a translation. 

What's more, Kendrick Lamar barking a upside-down version of the Beatitudes is intended as commentary, noting how the powerful in America have twisted Christ's commandments to suit their own egos and wealth. It's quite brilliant and powerful, as is the video. 

Christ's message of grace calls on us to challenge ourselves, not to always seek comfort and rejoice in the normal. Get out of your own way. Christ was a teacher. He wants us to learn. 

On 2/26/2018 at 4:43 AM, bigwave said:

Blessed are the cheesemakers.

I live in Wisconsin and we are called Cheeseheads, Bigwave.  Should I be worried?

On 26/02/2018 at 10:43 AM, bigwave said:

Blessed are the cheesemakers.

You need to speak Caerphilly on that issue in wales.

This song may not be high on the list of U2's best songs ever but I do really like the message of the song which is laid out in the title.

I was surprised to learn that it is directed towards Bono's daughter as I initially thought it was written with America in mind.

It is great advice to each of us and it's truth does not depend on our religious, political or musical beliefs.