Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jonno77

Joshua Tree New Roots

For Christmas I was lucky enough to be bought The Joshua Tree New Roots album. If you have not listened to it I wholly recommend it.

Particular highlights for me were:

1. Kodaline: Running to Stand Still

2. Fangclub: Exit (absolutely love it)

3. Lyra's cover of Mothers of the Disappeared is great too but mine sounds like someone is too close to the mic a couple of times.

I didn't realise there was an Achtung Baby cover free with Q called AHK-toon bay-BI. I bought that the other day too but only listened once. Doesn't grab me the same tbh.

Another decent U2 cover is:Pride - the royal philharmonic orchestra plays U2. All I want is you and new year's Day are quality on it. 

If me and my better half ever get wed (20 years and counting) she wants who's gonna run your wild horses off this album to play.

Anyhow, can anyone else recommend any U2 covers or bootlegs that are a must have to listen to.

Cheers

Jon

I just got my cd in the mail yesterday! I’ve had it on repeat since. It’s fabulous! And the proceeds go to a great cause. I highly recommend it. 

I'm not really a fan of covers by other bands. I think U2's cover of Helter Skelter is awful so it's not just other bands covering U2 songs that I don't like. for me cover songs are usually great or bloody awful.

the only cover of a U2 song by another band that I can think of right now is Dream Theater's cover of 'Red Hill Mining Town'. Dream Theater are a great band. technique wise DT sh*ts all over U2. even without Mike Portnoy. drummer Mike Mangini, John Petrucci (guitar), Jorden Rudess (keyboards), John Myung (bass) and the amazing vocals of James LaBrie. I doubt U2 could cover a Dream Theater song, though 'I Walk Beside You' would suit them.

love Petrucci's solo :Zoo_Guitar:

how could I forget the Man In Black, great cover of 'one'. it's not up there with 'Hurt' or 'Rusty Cage' though imo

^ you can find this on Johnny's 3rd American Recordings album, pretty sure it was released in 2000.

I'm not sure if what Chris Cornell did with 'one' is a U2 cover or not but when I first heard this I was like 'this is just brilliant!!' :blink: mind blown! as I know both songs so well and I'm sure Chris did too, I just can't believe how he blended them both. just an amazing musician. 3 years ago I left this comment on YouTube... 

wow, I always thought it was cool that MetallicA & U2 had the same titled song, being their best song IMO \m/^_^\m/ this is really well done >=:) now if only Bono could play rhythm guitar like that ;)

Cheers I'll give them a watch when home from work. I really like Johnny Cash so be interested in that.

I quite like helter skelter. Rattle and Hum gets quite a bit of grief but I'm fond of it as it's the album that got me into U2. From Achtung baby b sides I liked their cover of paint it black and Bono's snippets of I can't help falling in love.

Definitely recommend to listen to Exit off new roots though.

Cheers for the info?

1 hour ago, mich40 said:

I just got my cd in the mail yesterday! I’ve had it on repeat since. It’s fabulous! And the proceeds go to a great cause. I highly recommend it. 

We had it on non stop in car over Christmas when visiting family. Totally agree about the charity aspect too!

25 minutes ago, jonno77 said:

Cheers I'll give them a watch when home from work. I really like Johnny Cash so be interested in that.

I quite like helter skelter. Rattle and Hum gets quite a bit of grief but I'm fond of it as it's the album that got me into U2. From Achtung baby b sides I liked their cover of paint it black and Bono's snippets of I can't help falling in love.

Definitely recommend to listen to Exit off new roots though.

Cheers for the info?

I've never heard of this Joshua Tree cover cd? I'm usually clueless when it comes to what U2 are doing. I like Rattle & Hum, the songs that are by U2 on there are great. Heartland is probably my favourite from that album, a real gem.

as for U2's cover of 'Paint It Black' puke.gif.33ffd756e7ab3e0a705e7ae424f54ece.gif < but that's just me.

1 hour ago, BigBunny said:

I've never heard of this Joshua Tree cover cd? I'm usually clueless when it comes to what U2 are doing. I like Rattle & Hum, the songs that are by U2 on there are great. Heartland is probably my favourite from that album, a real gem.

as for U2's cover of 'Paint It Black' puke.gif.33ffd756e7ab3e0a705e7ae424f54ece.gif < but that's just me.

It’s from Ireland. Here’s more info on it.http://2fm.rte.ie/2017/10/02/joshua-tree-new-roots/ It’s really, really good.  

9 hours ago, BigBunny said:

Heartland is probably my favourite from that album, a real gem.

With you on that. I posted on another thread yesterday about what old song would you like to see played and I picked Heartland with about 4 others. I've never seen it live (been to tours since zoo). 

Just done a Google and looks like it was the only one off the album that they never played live on love town tour.

15 hours ago, mich40 said:

It’s from Ireland. Here’s more info on it.http://2fm.rte.ie/2017/10/02/joshua-tree-new-roots/ It’s really, really good.  

will take a look at that link now but if it's only available in Ireland I imagine the postage to Australia will be $$$

edit: it says available on vinyl or stream it. I've heard of streaming but when it comes to music I like to have a physical CD copy. I think it's great that all of the bands/singers are Irish, no wonder I'd never heard of them.

8 hours ago, jonno77 said:

With you on that. I posted on another thread yesterday about what old song would you like to see played and I picked Heartland with about 4 others. I've never seen it live (been to tours since zoo). 

Just done a Google and looks like it was the only one off the album that they never played live on love town tour.

I've been a fan since 1992, Achtung Baby was my first U2 cassette (wore it out lol) sadly I didn't get to see ZOO TV as it didnt' hit my isolated city of Perth.

weird that they haven't played Heartland live, just like Acrobat and for me Acrobat would be in my top 3 on AB. UTEOTW, Ultraviolet & Acrobat < my favourites on :AB:

2 hours ago, BigBunny said:

weird that they haven't played Heartland live, just like Acrobat and for me Acrobat would be in my top 3 on AB. 

Acrobat  and so cruel are my favourites on AB. That is one I would love to hear live.

I think my better half ordered tree roots from ebay, but not sure if sellers would have it in Oz. You might be able to find audio on you tube