Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wahine

I am a Republican

Baffled...Do not ever put me in a BOX...I am Southern, I am a Mother, My first grandchild was just born DURING HURRICANE IRMA HERE IN FLORIDA, I could not go to the hospital BECAUSE OUR CAUSEWAY WAS CLOSED TO THE MAINLAND. She was born on 9/11. My son in law is a combat wounded US MARINE and a freaking police officer in the Chicago area. One thing I make clear to everyone, MY FATHER WAS OUR SENATOR HERE, he died in office 15 years ago TODAY. So, now that I got that over with...I am not impressed with the VIDEO AT ALL but the one thing I REFUSE TO DO IS GET ON THIS HATE ON U2 BANDWAGON...It honestly feels like a REPEAT of Bono calling the White House, that stupid madness back in the day. It is what it is....It's one thing to play into all this stupid social media crap, it's a whole different BEAST that calls for a BOYCOTT OF MUSIC. No thank you!!!! I don't boycott against Music. Seriously, for all these leaders FREAKING OUT over a VIDEO AND SONG---This Southern Mama knows the enemy, it's NOT A SONG. IT'S NOT FREE SPEECH. It's those that call for bans or boycotts of Music. You can do whatever pesonally, I dont care.....If SOMEONE UP THERE calls for Bans of Concerts, Music, Arts, ETC. They just as quickly will call for more and more....I AM TAKING MY BALL AND GOING HOME NOW....If the MACHINE thinks they can put folks into boxes by their Political Affiliation they will just as easily SHUT THAT BOX AND WRAP IT UP WITH DUCTTAPE....No BOXES, No LABELS, I am 100% AMERICAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will listen to U2 when I want, I will go to U2 concerts WHEN I WANT, I will BUY U2 MUSIC WHEN I WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And spit in the face of anyone who tells me I can't or I shouldn't!!!!!!!!!!!!

14 hours ago, wahine said:

Baffled...Do not ever put me in a BOX...I am Southern, I am a Mother, My first grandchild was just born DURING HURRICANE IRMA HERE IN FLORIDA, I could not go to the hospital BECAUSE OUR CAUSEWAY WAS CLOSED TO THE MAINLAND. She was born on 9/11. My son in law is a combat wounded US MARINE and a freaking police officer in the Chicago area. One thing I make clear to everyone, MY FATHER WAS OUR SENATOR HERE, he died in office 15 years ago TODAY. So, now that I got that over with...I am not impressed with the VIDEO AT ALL but the one thing I REFUSE TO DO IS GET ON THIS HATE ON U2 BANDWAGON...It honestly feels like a REPEAT of Bono calling the White House, that stupid madness back in the day. It is what it is....It's one thing to play into all this stupid social media crap, it's a whole different BEAST that calls for a BOYCOTT OF MUSIC. No thank you!!!! I don't boycott against Music. Seriously, for all these leaders FREAKING OUT over a VIDEO AND SONG---This Southern Mama knows the enemy, it's NOT A SONG. IT'S NOT FREE SPEECH. It's those that call for bans or boycotts of Music. You can do whatever pesonally, I dont care.....If SOMEONE UP THERE calls for Bans of Concerts, Music, Arts, ETC. They just as quickly will call for more and more....I AM TAKING MY BALL AND GOING HOME NOW....If the MACHINE thinks they can put folks into boxes by their Political Affiliation they will just as easily SHUT THAT BOX AND WRAP IT UP WITH DUCTTAPE....No BOXES, No LABELS, I am 100% AMERICAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will listen to U2 when I want, I will go to U2 concerts WHEN I WANT, I will BUY U2 MUSIC WHEN I WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And spit in the face of anyone who tells me I can't or I shouldn't!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love your passion, I'm sure there are many Republican U2 fans. I'm an Aussie and it's not an Australian thing to identify yourself with a political party. the currant PM Malcolm Turnbull & opposition leader Bill Shorten both fall short of what I would like in a Prime Minister of Australia. my main miff is that our returned veterans are not being taken care of, we have lost more young men & women through suicide after returning home than we did in Afghanistan & Iraq! :angry: this is very dear to my heart as like most of these returned veterans I have PTSD. I'm not a veteran but have PTSD due to a different trauma that I went through. the Australian government & the VA has blood on it's hands. our young vets need help! and mental illness is not being addressed in our country as well.

about the GOOYOW video, I don't like the song, it's as weak as piss. then when I watched the video I was quite disgusted, fecking KKK walking past the White House, men returning home from work in a KKK clown outfit. wtf? to me that just blankets many Americans a racists, ie: if you voted for Trump you're a racist and I think that is far from the truth. now some Americans may not like my input as I'm not a yank but I think U2 need to...

Get Off Of Your High Horse... ahh ahh aha ah :Zoo_Baby: just my opinion of course  beer.gif.40f2c5e96db3052daceb5252d816df99.gif

The video was a huge mistake on U2's part.  There will be many, many people who disassociate themselves from the band because of it.

It was ignorant, insulting, and extremely small-minded for the band to endorse such a ridiculous video. 

It might be an effort to appeal to the millennial crowd who despise them so much and also despise the Trump administration.  (The enemy of my enemy is my friend.)  But at best it's a complete sell-out on the band's part and I hope they issue an apology.  But they won't.

I, for one, don't see why so many people have their panties in a twist over the video. Is it because of Trump and his KKK buddies? 

21 hours ago, drumu2 said:

The video was a huge mistake on U2's part.  There will be many, many people who disassociate themselves from the band because of it.

It was ignorant, insulting, and extremely small-minded for the band to endorse such a ridiculous video. 

It might be an effort to appeal to the millennial crowd who despise them so much and also despise the Trump administration.  (The enemy of my enemy is my friend.)  But at best it's a complete sell-out on the band's part and I hope they issue an apology.  But they won't.

agree.

28 minutes ago, Kristaps said:

I, for one, don't see why so many people have their panties in a twist over the video. Is it because of Trump and his KKK buddies? 

the quote below is from my post above...

about the GOOYOW video, I don't like the song, it's as weak as piss. then when I watched the video I was quite disgusted, fecking KKK walking past the White House, men returning home from work in a KKK clown outfit. wtf? to me that just blankets many Americans a racists, ie: if you voted for Trump you're a racist and I think that is far from the truth. now some Americans may not like my input as I'm not a yank but I think U2 need to...

you say "Trump and his KKK buddies" < you've just shown that you don't like Trump so the video is fine. I'm coming from the point of view of an outsider and this video is an insult to America. like, oh now the KKK can walk down the street again and the guy can come home from work in his stupid KKK clown outfit. for crying out loud, as I said in my first post, this video basically says Trump voters are KKK. now whether U2 actually think that? because they have to know they have fans that voted for Trump. this video is a dumb choice, just my 2 Aussie cents. Trampoline.gif.3ddfed058f2955978f485a6231f3b34c.gif

20 hours ago, johnbrewer said:

i imagine the band is starting to get the message. 25 arena shows and only one sold out. 

is this in the USA alone? I'm sure most of the tickets have sold. if not maybe it's the cost?

Hmmm, GOOYOW... Didn’t think much of the song UNTIL the video came out. Loved seeing it on Rage the other night (how often does Rage play U2? Hardly ever!).

I think the GOOYOW video is a warning bell about the rise of the far right, using America as an illustration of a growing trend in lots of countries. They could have used a different country, but U2 do seem to have a rather intense long-standing love for America. Having never been to America, I’ve never really understood U2’s obsession with America, but I think American Soul explains it a little bit.

Still, I do prefer their non-American songs. AND I do like their ‘political’ side, making music that has something to say, not just specky noise. Guess that’s why I became a fan after hearing Pride and why I like Summer of Love and RFD...

On 1/28/2018 at 12:10 AM, johnbrewer said:

i imagine the band is starting to get the message. 25 arena shows and only one sold out. 

Them not selling out the US has nothing to do with politics... Theyve always been political, thats nothing new. They're not selling out the US due to prices. $350 for lower level seats is whats keeping people away. 

5 hours ago, Shannon387 said:

Them not selling out the US has nothing to do with politics... Theyve always been political, thats nothing new. They're not selling out the US due to prices. $350 for lower level seats is whats keeping people away. 

350 for a seat, that is alot of money especially if it's at a bad angle.

I priced out a few venues since I'm traveling to see them (they don't have a date near me). I've found pricing depends on the venue. Some it's all lower level seats are 350, Like LA.  The one I'm attending some of the seats which go behind the stage have a graduated lowering of price depending on where you're sitting. I grabbed one of those. I'll still be able to see the stage and video display where I'm at but it's like nearly half the price of one of the full priced seats. 

But yeah, a lot of money this time around....

3 hours ago, Shannon387 said:

I priced out a few venues since I'm traveling to see them (they don't have a date near me). I've found pricing depends on the venue. Some it's all lower level seats are 350, Like LA.  The one I'm attending some of the seats which go behind the stage have a graduated lowering of price depending on where you're sitting. I grabbed one of those. I'll still be able to see the stage and video display where I'm at but it's like nearly half the price of one of the full priced seats. 

But yeah, a lot of money this time around....

looks like capitalism is working for them :Zoo_Currency:

I am not going to any U2 shows. I was hoping to go back to London this year but a huge WRENCH was thrown into my life. My husbands best friend and business partner passed away unexpectedly, he was brilliant. He had his PHD from Harvard medical, he saved my sons life. Everyone was wrong with his cancer, except Dr. Bentley. Well, he passed away and left my husband as his heir. Any other time this would be amazing. As it stands, we just inherited a condo, a big Ski Lodge home in Montana, vehicles, a bad ass sports car convertible, on and on. Oh yeah, he went to Number one on the Adult Contempary Charts for his Christmas Album with Elton Johns drummer, the guy from Orleans, the other guy from Hall and Oats,everyone was famous in the band. So yeah, like I said any other time, it would be amazing. I had no clue about the will,I actually had a copy of it when he climbed Denali, a big mountain in Alaska, but I had no idea where I put it. I paid for his funeral, handled it all, only for the lawyers to explain I have to maintain everything until the courts agree. Meaning, homes need to have electric, water, association dues, the Homeowner associations, TAXES, on and on and on and on...MY DAUGHTER WAS JUST DIAGNOSED TODAY WITH CANCER......I AM FREAKING HEARTBROKEN, STRAIGHT UP HEARTBROKEN. THERE IS NO WAY I AMLEAVING THE UNITED STATES. SHE LIVES IN CHICAGO AND I AM IN FLORIDA...SO, THE LAST THING YOU WILL FIND ME DOING IS GOING TO A U2 CONCERT. SO GLAD I GOT TO CATCH THE WAR SHOW BACK IN THE DAY IN ORLANDO, THEN UNFORGETTABLE FIRE IN LAKELAND FLORIDA, THEN JOSHUA TREE IN 87 IN TAMPA, I TOOK BOTH MY KIDS TO POP MART IN TAMPA, THEY WERE SO LITTLE BUT THIRD EYE BLIND OPENED AND THAT WAS THEIR FAVORITE BAND AT THE TIME, ELEVATION IN TAMPA, TOOK MY DAUGHTER AND HER BEST FRIEND TO ELEVATION IN MIAMI....THAT WAS IT, LIFE GOT IN THE WAY AFTER THAT...U2 is U2. You either accept them for what they are, or you can FREAK OUT when they shit on our Country...I will remind everyone, U2 is not the be all and end all. They have been on THE WRONG SIDE of history many times. They have pissed off everyone at one time or another. Me included..Life is too short to get wrapped up in MEANINGS. Enjoy the Music, dance, smile, and be thankful you can even afford to think about going to a concert. If it bothers you, DONT GO. Nothing is gonna screw with their tickets. BELIEVE ME. When Trump said he could shoot someone and still get elected, U2 CAN RUDE THE HELL OUT OF YOUR MOTHERS, FATHERS, KID, COUNTRY AND THEIR CONCERTS WILL STILL SELL OUT....THINK ABOUT THAT ONE! OK, have to get ready to travel to Chicago in the heart of the WINTER. I HATE THE COLD, I HATE IT. After years of Dublin in the Spring, sometimes twice a year when we almost opened a surf/skate shop there, I DECIDED I HATE THE COLD AND STICK TO FLORIDA AND COSTA RICA. The Lord has other plans for me, THERE WILL BE NO LONDON trip.

5 hours ago, wahine said:

I am not going to any U2 shows. I was hoping to go back to London this year but a huge WRENCH was thrown into my life. My husbands best friend and business partner passed away unexpectedly, he was brilliant. He had his PHD from Harvard medical, he saved my sons life. Everyone was wrong with his cancer, except Dr. Bentley. Well, he passed away and left my husband as his heir. Any other time this would be amazing. As it stands, we just inherited a condo, a big Ski Lodge home in Montana, vehicles, a bad ass sports car convertible, on and on. Oh yeah, he went to Number one on the Adult Contempary Charts for his Christmas Album with Elton Johns drummer, the guy from Orleans, the other guy from Hall and Oats,everyone was famous in the band. So yeah, like I said any other time, it would be amazing. I had no clue about the will,I actually had a copy of it when he climbed Denali, a big mountain in Alaska, but I had no idea where I put it. I paid for his funeral, handled it all, only for the lawyers to explain I have to maintain everything until the courts agree. Meaning, homes need to have electric, water, association dues, the Homeowner associations, TAXES, on and on and on and on...MY DAUGHTER WAS JUST DIAGNOSED TODAY WITH CANCER......I AM FREAKING HEARTBROKEN, STRAIGHT UP HEARTBROKEN. THERE IS NO WAY I AMLEAVING THE UNITED STATES. SHE LIVES IN CHICAGO AND I AM IN FLORIDA...SO, THE LAST THING YOU WILL FIND ME DOING IS GOING TO A U2 CONCERT. SO GLAD I GOT TO CATCH THE WAR SHOW BACK IN THE DAY IN ORLANDO, THEN UNFORGETTABLE FIRE IN LAKELAND FLORIDA, THEN JOSHUA TREE IN 87 IN TAMPA, I TOOK BOTH MY KIDS TO POP MART IN TAMPA, THEY WERE SO LITTLE BUT THIRD EYE BLIND OPENED AND THAT WAS THEIR FAVORITE BAND AT THE TIME, ELEVATION IN TAMPA, TOOK MY DAUGHTER AND HER BEST FRIEND TO ELEVATION IN MIAMI....THAT WAS IT, LIFE GOT IN THE WAY AFTER THAT...U2 is U2. You either accept them for what they are, or you can FREAK OUT when they shit on our Country...I will remind everyone, U2 is not the be all and end all. They have been on THE WRONG SIDE of history many times. They have pissed off everyone at one time or another. Me included..Life is too short to get wrapped up in MEANINGS. Enjoy the Music, dance, smile, and be thankful you can even afford to think about going to a concert. If it bothers you, DONT GO. Nothing is gonna screw with their tickets. BELIEVE ME. When Trump said he could shoot someone and still get elected, U2 CAN RUDE THE HELL OUT OF YOUR MOTHERS, FATHERS, KID, COUNTRY AND THEIR CONCERTS WILL STILL SELL OUT....THINK ABOUT THAT ONE! OK, have to get ready to travel to Chicago in the heart of the WINTER. I HATE THE COLD, I HATE IT. After years of Dublin in the Spring, sometimes twice a year when we almost opened a surf/skate shop there, I DECIDED I HATE THE COLD AND STICK TO FLORIDA AND COSTA RICA. The Lord has other plans for me, THERE WILL BE NO LONDON trip.

wahine, I am so sorry for your loss. your hubby's best friend sounds like a wonderful person. you are correct, there are more things to life than U2, I know this... some fans, I don't think they do. 

your daughter should be the focus of all your attention right now. aliens could land outside your house... just don't pay attention. your daughter should be #1, 2, 3... in your thoughts & attention right now.

hoping for the best for your daughter and your family. God Bless 

8 hours ago, wahine said:

Vertigo in Miami, not Elevation

You do know that U2 is going to be in Chicago on May 22 and 23?   If your daughter has cancer...I can put you in touch with someone who will, most likely, make sure you get great seats and they will be accessible seats.  Please message me.  This venue is very kind to me.  They have no control over tickets for U2 yet, but they will.  They go above and beyond to help people.  Please consider it, and message me if you are interested.  I'm very sorry about your friend.  Good doctors are priceless.   

I am especially sorry about your daughter.  Chicago is a great city.  Yes, it is cold but you did mention climbing Denali.  Message me the name of your daughter and I shall include her in my daily intentions of prayer.  I'm Catholic.  I shall also mention her to my Godfather.  He is a priest.  He will include her in the intentions as he celebrates Mass.

If it is possible for you to see U2 in Chicago with your daughter...it can happen.  I hope I have not overstepped.  If you feel uncomfortable contacting me...I gave the phone number to Max for Chicago a few weeks ago, so he can give it to you as well.  The United Center is a great venue.

My prayers are with you.  Miracles happen, and I'm hoping she'll be okay without one even being necessary.

On 1/31/2018 at 4:47 PM, wahine said:

I thought of you the second I read this article earlier today:  https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2018/01/cancer-vaccine-eliminates-tumors-in-mice.html

On 1/29/2018 at 12:36 PM, Shannon387 said:

I think the shows will sell over time.  They played five nights in Chicago for the IE tour.  I was at four of them.  All were considered sold out and tickets that remained were very limited.  Ticket price for that tour was $325.  It is a lot of money.  I don't think that's what slowed sales for this tour as people are willing to pay it.  I think it's the verified fan thing and the fact that they have played 7 shows in Chicago within three year's time.  The EI tour will make it 9 shows. They've never done that. Once it's Spring and the tour approaches; I suspect sales will increase.  A huge amount of large acts are now promoting tours and I think people are gravitating towards those first.  Justin Timberlake is $275 and those shows sold like crazy. There was a presale for him the day I went to see The Killers at the United Center.  The box office told me it sold out instantly.  Most who want to see U2 already have done so, and it's been recent.  The new tour will pick up steam...$350 or not.

7 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I think the shows will sell over time.  They played five nights in Chicago for the IE tour.  I was at four of them.  All were considered sold out and tickets that remained were very limited.  Ticket price for that tour was $325.  It is a lot of money.  I don't think that's what slowed sales for this tour as people are willing to pay it.  I think it's the verified fan thing and the fact that they have played 7 shows in Chicago within three year's time.  The EI tour will make it 9 shows. They've never done that. Once it's Spring and the tour approaches; I suspect sales will increase.  A huge amount of large acts are now promoting tours and I think people are gravitating towards those first.  Justin Timberlake is $275 and those shows sold like crazy. There was a presale for him the day I went to see The Killers at the United Center.  The box office told me it sold out instantly.  Most who want to see U2 already have done so, and it's been recent.  The new tour will pick up steam...$350 or not.

The verified fan thing has worked for many, myself included. While I realize some didnt get a ticket because of it I really do think its the price since tickets are still available. If people want to go, they can. Verified fan or not. Will people pay it, of course. As Bono would say rich people have feelings too. The concerts are a ways off, they'll sell. 

Being one who had a financial blow and am currently recovering Im seeing the other side. Im lucky I get to see them once. I scrounged up enough to justify one and add to that travel expenses. They mean that much to me. Concerts are my thing. Many dont and arent able to. That no matter how much they want to go, they cant because prices have skyrocketed and they dont have enough money to get tickets. I feel bad for them since I was almost one who desperately wanted to go but cant because of the price. Other big name artists are jacking their prices up too. Its unfortunate. I dont feel any ill will toward those artists. They can demand that kind of price. It just makes me appreciate the artists who have kept their prices affordable that much more. 

Back on topic...

I loved the get out of your own way video from an artistic perspective. I didnt see the big deal personally but hey to each their own. A lot of work went into making it. I thought it turned out well. I think personally that song was written with a different more heartfelt meaning rather than political, I admit I would have liked to see a video featuring an interpretation on its original intent. But hey this works also. 

Rather than quote it all, therby creatin another huge window...this is in response to Shannon387 and her post responding to an earlier one of mine:

Shannon 387-I'm also recovering from a blow and feel you.  I wish you the best in that and you've my utmost respect.  I have to make decisions about concerts a few times a week.  The good thing is the concert industry abounds with tempting shows.  The bad thing, in many instances, is the price.  I agree.  One other good thing is that my two favorite newer bands are $26-45 and tour a lot.  Young the Giant was inexpensive as well.  Twenty One Pilots was $59.50 and one of the hottest shows/tickets of 2017. The Killers were $65 last month.  Not all good shows are a fortune, but the behemoths are gonna be demanding platinum everything if it continues to rise.  My hope is it is close to topping out with price.  I'm single.  It costs me at least a hundred bucks extra to drive from Milwaukee to Chicago; gas, the usual meal and bottles of water or whatever.  Add that to $350 and I can almost fly across the Atlantic round trip. Add the babysitter I don't need and the extra $$$ for the kids' good time that evening and that's a night or two in a hotel wherever I chose to fly.  I don't see people paying much more than is already being charged, so hopefully it'll plateau.

The GOOYOW video-I understand what you mean by no big deal.  I'm going to use big deal differently and say it's a huge deal.  They have President Trump in a cartoon which also has the KKK but it could be argued that it's not really the KKK and I think that is fricking brilliant.  I've only seen it once, however; I watched very closely.  I like to let art settle before I view it again.  I like to try to remember which image was where and decide how I'd do it where I cannot remember.  It's fun to watch it again and see how accurate I was or was not.  I really liked it and that KKK but not the KKK possibility, for me, is perfect.  I think it's funny.

1 hour ago, Manohlive said:

Rather than quote it all, therby creatin another huge window...

you can remove text from a quoted post if needed (as I just did)... just choose the appropriate part and hit DEL on your keyboard (exactly like I did it for this post)...

If you need to quote another part of the original text, choose the relevant part with your mouse, a tiny QUOTE THIS pop-up appears. Click it and it automagically goes to the writing post window...

quote.png

also, you can select the text in question, copy/paste into the writing post window and then select the Quote Icon... which put the text in a quote window but without attribution...
quote2.png

Hope this is useful... no need to answer it, carry on with the topic in question...

On 1/28/2018 at 11:20 PM, BigBunny said:

is this in the USA alone? I'm sure most of the tickets have sold. if not maybe it's the cost?

It is the cost. Over $300 per ticket for lower bowl seats in an arena is just too high.

I understand the rationale for pricing them at that level (i.e., to discourage scalpers - if they buy them at list price and try to make a sizable profit off of them, no one will buy them) - however, it's making fans think twice about going to the show in the first place. Even without scalper markups, the tickets are just too darn much...

Trying to make it a backlash about the band's politics is just wishful thinking from Fox News devotees.