Sign in to follow this  
Evelyn Kelly

Ticket No reduced for presale from four to two

Hi All,

I have been going to U2 gigs since 2001 and am a huge fan. Ended up in the Innocence group because I forgot to renew in time about three years back but I sucked that up. What I am annoyed about, however, is that my presale ticket numbers have been reduced from 4 tickets to 2 tickets. This was not clear before I renewed my subscription so I think it was a bit sneaky. I always bought tickets for two gigs and went to both gigs, now it seems from the forum, I will find it hard to get reasonably priced tickets for Dublin and I won't get to go to a European show either. Anyone else wondering why they pay their membership if this is how we are treated by the band? 

Edited by Evelyn Kelly
Title of post wrong

39 minutes ago, Evelyn Kelly said:

Hi All,

I have been going to U2 gigs since 2001 and am a huge fan. Ended up in the Innocence group because I forgot to renew in time about three years back but I sucked that up. What I am annoyed about, however, is that my presale ticket numbers have been reduced from 4 tickets to 2 tickets. This was not clear before I renewed my subscription so I think it was a bit sneaky. I always bought tickets for two gigs and went to both gigs, now it seems from the forum, I will find it hard to get reasonably priced tickets for Dublin and I won't get to go to a European show either. Anyone else wondering why they pay their membership if this is how we are treated by the band? 

has been subscriber 2 ticket limit for last few indoor tours

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, bigwave said:
55 minutes ago, Evelyn Kelly said:

has been subscriber 2 ticket limit for last few indoor tours

Yes - I’m pretty sure it’s 4 tickets for stadiums and 2 for indoor arenas. The arenas are waaay smaller. Makes sense. 

1 hour ago, DeirdreBell said:

Yes - I’m pretty sure it’s 4 tickets for stadiums and 2 for indoor arenas. The arenas are waaay smaller. Makes sense. 

Has been that way on every tour (2 in arenas, 4 in stadiums) since at least the Vertigo tour in 2005.

2 hours ago, Evelyn Kelly said:

Hi All,

I have been going to U2 gigs since 2001 and am a huge fan. Ended up in the Innocence group because I forgot to renew in time about three years back but I sucked that up. What I am annoyed about, however, is that my presale ticket numbers have been reduced from 4 tickets to 2 tickets. This was not clear before I renewed my subscription so I think it was a bit sneaky.  

I do think people who have been subscribers for years who had a small lapse should be Experience members. Not like you signed up yesterday. If you let membership lapse for over a year fair enough bit not if you did not. For previous tours if you were signed up BEFORE the tour announcement you got priority access even if you had a small lapse. Note the change for this tour. 

Yip been 2 tickets for indoor shows for a while but the rule about not being able to split your codes sneakly changed. Another change...

9 minutes ago, Cazza said:

I do think people who have been subscribers for years who had a small lapse should be Experience members. Not like you signed up yesterday. If you let membership lapse for over a year fair enough bit not if you did not.

I'll have to disagree. As someone who hasn't let their subscription lapse for 10+ years without missing a day, who was a subscriber on the previous site version from Vertigo tour days, I think that the moment you let is lapse, you lose your seniority. 

13 minutes ago, Cazza said:

For previous tours if you were signed up BEFORE the tour announcement you got priority access even if you had a small lapse. Note the change for this tour. 

There really isn't a change for this tour compared to I+E and TJT tours. Anyone who was a paid member at a certain cut-off date was put in the first presale group; anyone who joined after - 2nd group. It was really similar to the current model even during 360 tour. Anyone who was a paid member at a certain cut-off date was in first presale group, and anyone who resubbed/joined after were put in newer groups. The only difference was that there were more groups for recent joiners/resubscribers... something like 3 or 4 groups in total: oldest members, people who joined after tour was announce, people who joined  when tickets went on sale. So really, for the last several tours it been the same model. 

What I would like them to have is more recognition to subscribers who are paying members tour or no tour, non stop. As an example, introduce another pre-sale tier for people, say, who have been subscribed since the last tour (and maybe include an extra ticket or two ;-) ). It would be a nice way for the band and management to show appreciation. 

• Like 1

On 29/01/2018 at 3:22 PM, funghi said:

Nice post, bigwave, at least a small bearing...............:unsure::unsure::unsure:

or maybe I don't get it:o

2 hours ago, Kristaps said:

I'll have to disagree. As someone who hasn't let their subscription lapse for 10+ years without missing a day, who was a subscriber on the previous site version from Vertigo tour days, I think that the moment you let is lapse, you lose your seniority. 

There really isn't a change for this tour compared to I+E and TJT tours. Anyone who was a paid member at a certain cut-off date was put in the first presale group; anyone who joined after - 2nd group. It was really similar to the current model even during 360 tour. Anyone who was a paid member at a certain cut-off date was in first presale group, and anyone who resubbed/joined after were put in newer groups. The only difference was that there were more groups for recent joiners/resubscribers... something like 3 or 4 groups in total: oldest members, people who joined after tour was announce, people who joined  when tickets went on sale. 

There has been a change. Those who had signed up by a certain date are being retrospectively penalised for a lapse that occurred before a cut off period. Read the boards. Says it all. All the "rules" have changed for this presale.

Yes tough love and all that but there are some who have subscribed for years who had a good reason for a small lapse (eg bereavement or illness). I don't think those long term fans should be in the same position as someone who signed up yesterday. If you were struck down with illness and in hospital and your account lapsed, you may feel the same way to be downgraded to an "innocent member". 

Maybe even allowing folk a month's grace would help. I have some tickets so fine for me but I just feel bad for some who are v disappointed. But that is life.?? 

Edited by Cazza

I'm pretty sure for quite a few European presales there was no chance of splitting the code (jt tour excluded) 

I have split European codes for every tour. Back to 360. It was allowed then. Not now. 

I think the problem this time is there must be loads of subscribers right now than usual.

the joshua tree Tour would have seen loads of subscribers added to get tickets from people like myself only sign up when an album is due.

the Joshua tree tour caught people like us out because it was announced out of the blue on a Christmas message in 2016 if I recall correctly. I think bono said something about special JT shows iirc. I resubscribed around this time.

hence this is the cut off between experience an innocence and as subscriber numbers are currently swollen after last years stadium tour the innocence presale has been utter hell for both the innocence subscribers and the mods on here alikewith a limited capacity indoor show.

22 hours ago, Cazza said:

I do think people who have been subscribers for years who had a small lapse should be Experience members. Not like you signed up yesterday. If you let membership lapse for over a year fair enough bit not if you did not. For previous tours if you were signed up BEFORE the tour announcement you got priority access even if you had a small lapse. Note the change for this tour. 

Yip been 2 tickets for indoor shows for a while but the rule about not being able to split your codes sneakly changed. Another change...

I also have to agree with Kristaps I think.  If I let an insurance policy lapse, I wouldn’t expect to be covered if something happened. I know it’s a bit different but if it’s that important then it’s something you just do.  I remember for the 360 tour, to my horror I found myself in the ‘breathe’ group of subscribers which was the second group.  This was because I’d let it lapse for about a month just prior to the tour being announced.  I vowed never to let it lapse again and haven’t.  I would have been really frustrated and annoyed with myself had this given me the same level of access as a brand new subscriber at that time.  Fortunately, as 3 tiers were used I was in the second tier as I was a member who had resubscribed within a certain limit (it was only a matter of a month I think).  I was still annoyed at myself for missing out on the first tier though.    I think if you let it lapse, regardless of circumstances, maybe there could be some grace of a week, say at the discretion of U2.com but not if reminders are sent out as it really is our responsibility.   They really should bring the 3 tier system back again, it would be so much fairer (provided of course that all the available seats/levels of ticket are actually made available, and that all tour dates are announced!) 

3 hours ago, Heather S said:

They really should bring the 3 tier system back again, it would be so much fairer (provided of course that all the available seats/levels of ticket are actually made available, and that all tour dates are announced!) 

All views welcome on this. Better a debate than nothing being said. I agree rules are rules. However my point is it is harsh for those who have been paying for years to end up in the same category as those who signed up yesterday. My post about whether is it time to have or bring back 3 presale tiers refers. That seems fair.

16 hours ago, Cazza said:

All views welcome on this. Better a debate than nothing being said. I agree rules are rules. However my point is it is harsh for those who have been paying for years to end up in the same category as those who signed up yesterday. My post about whether is it time to have or bring back 3 presale tiers refers. That seems fair.

Personally, i thought the 3 tier system was fairer too. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

On 2/1/2018 at 9:53 AM, bigwave said:

Personally, i thought the 3 tier system was fairer too. 

I agree wholeheartedly.

On 1/30/2018 at 12:44 PM, DeirdreBell said:

I think there's been some misinformation that's been circulating about previous ticket limits.

For the 2001 Elevation tour, which was indoors, U.S. fans were allowed to purchase a total of six tickets.  They were given the option to purchase up to four tickets for the spring U.S. leg, and then were given an option to purchase a further two tickets for the fall U.S. leg.  European subscribers were allowed to purchase four tickets for the summer European shows.

For the 2005 Vertigo tour, which was indoors in the US, US fans were allowed to purchase a total of four tickets.  Subscribers received the option to purchase two tickets for the spring leg, and were allowed to purchase an additional two tickets for the fall leg.

The strict "two ticket per tour" limit for indoor shows was new for the 2015 tour.

I don't think the restriction in and of itself is that bad, if it's truly for the purpose of giving more fans an option to get in the door.  However, it doesn't seem right that paying fanclub members are being limited to a total of two tickets for the entire tour, when people who have a Citibank credit card were given the opportunity to purchase up to four tickets per show, for as many shows as they wanted.  It's disingenuous for the fan club to say that it's a limit of two for the tour because there aren't enough tickets to go around, but at the same time, there are enough tickets for Citibank card holders to get four tickets to each and every show.  And Citibank card holders haven't paid U2 for the privilege of purchasing tickets.  It doesn't seem right that paid fanclub members are seeing their options limited while other groups are given better options both in terms of quantity and quality.

• Like 2

On 2/28/2018 at 7:13 PM, vertigojds said:

For the 2005 Vertigo tour, which was indoors in the US, US fans were allowed to purchase a total of four tickets.  Subscribers received the option to purchase two tickets for the spring leg, and were allowed to purchase an additional two tickets for the fall leg

They gave us the option to buy two more tickets due to the presale problems for Vertigo.  Larry wrote the open letter of apology on U2.com and two more we got.

Edited by Manohlive

On 3/2/2018 at 7:29 PM, Manohlive said:

They gave us the option to buy two more tickets due to the presale problems for Vertigo.  Larry wrote the open letter of apology on U2.com and two more we got.

Understood -- but my point was, U.S. fans were able to buy up to four tickets for the 2005 tour through the fanclub.  I got two tickets from the fanclub for the 5/26/05 show, and another two from the fanclub for the 10/7/05 show.

A lot of people are stating incorrectly that U2's fanclub has always had a policy of only two tickets for indoor shows, and I'm just trying to correct that misinformation.  The first tour where U2 fanclub members were limited to just two tickets for the entire tour was 2015, so that's a recent change, and not the way it's always been.

My larger point was that it seems disingenious for U2's paid fanclub to say that tickets are so scarce that they can only allot two presale tickets per member for the entire tour, while people who have Citibank credit cards may purchase up to four presale tickets for each and every show.

Edited by vertigojds
  • Like 2

On 2/28/2018 at 8:13 PM, vertigojds said:

I agree wholeheartedly.

I think there's been some misinformation that's been circulating about previous ticket limits.

For the 2001 Elevation tour, which was indoors, U.S. fans were allowed to purchase a total of six tickets.  They were given the option to purchase up to four tickets for the spring U.S. leg, and then were given an option to purchase a further two tickets for the fall U.S. leg.  European subscribers were allowed to purchase four tickets for the summer European shows.

For the 2005 Vertigo tour, which was indoors in the US, US fans were allowed to purchase a total of four tickets.  Subscribers received the option to purchase two tickets for the spring leg, and were allowed to purchase an additional two tickets for the fall leg.

The strict "two ticket per tour" limit for indoor shows was new for the 2015 tour.

I don't think the restriction in and of itself is that bad, if it's truly for the purpose of giving more fans an option to get in the door.  However, it doesn't seem right that paying fanclub members are being limited to a total of two tickets for the entire tour, when people who have a Citibank credit card were given the opportunity to purchase up to four tickets per show, for as many shows as they wanted.  It's disingenuous for the fan club to say that it's a limit of two for the tour because there aren't enough tickets to go around, but at the same time, there are enough tickets for Citibank card holders to get four tickets to each and every show.  And Citibank card holders haven't paid U2 for the privilege of purchasing tickets.  It doesn't seem right that paid fanclub members are seeing their options limited while other groups are given better options both in terms of quantity and quality.

32 minutes ago, vertigojds said:

Understood -- but my point was, U.S. fans were able to buy up to four tickets for the 2005 tour through the fanclub.  I got two tickets from the fanclub for the 5/26/05 show, and another two from the fanclub for the 10/7/05 show.

A lot of people are stating incorrectly that U2's fanclub has always had a policy of only two tickets for indoor shows, and I'm just trying to correct that misinformation.  The first tour where U2 fanclub members were limited to just two tickets for the entire tour was 2015, so that's a recent change, and not the way it's always been.

My larger point was that it seems disingenious for U2's paid fanclub to say that tickets are so scarce that they can only allot two presale tickets per member for the entire tour, while people who have Citibank credit cards may purchase up to four presale tickets for each and every show.

This is what I remembered as well, and thank you for pointing everything out in detail as you did.

This reduced limit is just not right - the most devoted fans who pay their membership dues here every year without fail can only go to half of the shows with their membership here now. It's completely the opposite of common sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vertigojds said:

I wasn't disagreeing.  I was just adding to it.  Pardon me if it seemed otherwise.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vertigojds said:

Yes!  I concur.   They can buy four tickets for each and every show, as in however many shows they choose?  I thought it was four for the whole tour. That really sucks and is very unfair.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1

On 3/7/2018 at 3:59 AM, Manohlive said:

Yes!  I concur.   They can buy four tickets for each and every show, as in however many shows they choose?  I thought it was four for the whole tour. That really sucks and is very unfair.

That's correct, up to four tickets per show, for as many shows as they want.

Full disclosure: I have a Citi card.  Madison Square Garden in New York has been having a lot of presales that use the Citi card and since that's a venue I attend a lot, it made sense for me to get one of those cards just for that, so I've had one for a few years.  I used my Citi card to get tickets to three different shows on this tour, and it worked perfectly each time.  The presale seemed to have more inventory than the U2.com fanclub presale did, and I got everything I wanted for those nights from the Citi presale.  But I also think it sucks that I was able to do that so easily, while so many other people who are also giant U2 fans and who pay $50 here each year whether or not there's a tour didn't have that chance.  I would gladly give up the Citi presale rights in exchange for U2.com fanclub members having more options.  But yeah, the Citi presale worked pretty much exactly like you'd want a fanclub presale to run.

• Brilliant 1