Belfastmick

What's your tour game?

I followed the i and e tour through you tube, periscope, mixlr etc so that when it came to me attending a concert in Belfast there were few surprises. I remember hearing gasps and seeing a few people pointing up at Bono in the screen during Cedarwood Road. This got me thinking of how nice it would be to see a concert 'fresh' for the first time like in the old days (1990s :-)).

I'm thinking of trying to avoid all footage, recordings etc until I see the show in Belfast later this year but suspect that I may have to bury my phone to achieve this. 

What is everyone else planning for the upcoming tour? 

P.s. I'll probably break and log in to you tube the day after the first concert :-).

Edited by Belfastmick

Agree. Better to not know and enjoy it even more. I tend to avoid hearing about the setlist too so I can enjoy the tingles the first notes bring. 😁

• Like 1

I'm planning on avoiding all YouTube and set list spoilers for this tour. 

• Like 1

Although I would like to watch the concert without any spoilers, I know I'm not going to manage to resist watching youtube and Periscopes. I wont be able to resist knowing what songs to expect, where best to stand, the stage set up, where the Red Zones are etc..... Basically Im just too nosey:D

Edited by spongebob
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, spongebob said:

Although I would like to watch the concert without any spoilers, I know I'm not going to manage to resist watching youtube and Periscopes. I wont be able to resist knowing what songs to expect, where best to Imstand, the stage set up, where the Red Zones are etc..... Basically Im just too nosey:D

I had red zone tickets last time and thanks to the threads on here and watching videos etc, I knew when to walk out to GA to the b stage. I also used the fly for a toilet break 😊

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spongebob said:

Although I would like to watch the concert without any spoilers, I know I'm not going to manage to resist watching youtube and Periscopes. I wont be able to resist knowing what songs to expect, where best to Imstand, the stage set up, where the Red Zones are etc..... Basically Im just too nosey:D

This is me too, unfortunately lol! I also look at setlist.fm the day after gigs to see what's been played (not just for U2 either, any gig I'm going to haha)

Seen as how I have standing tickets for both nights in Cologne I will definitely be looking at YouTube stuff as I plan on being "fixed" on the rail for night 1 and then "roaming" for night 2 - knowing when and where exactly the band are going to be will (hopefully) get me great views on night 2😉

I was going to start a thread and call it, To See Or Not To See...until I saw this thread.  Therein lies the rub for me, too.  I did the same for the Vertigo tour.  I knew what they were gonna do based on what they played, etc.  I still loved that tour, but it was a bit spoiled in its surprise element.  For 360, I pretty much knew the set lists.

Somehow, I managed to know nothing about the IE tour.  I stayed out of U2.com for months.  The first night, in Chicago,  I went alone as friends were going with me three other nights.  I was so happy I went alone and knew nothing of the tour.  Watching him get inside that screen and realizing nobody had ever done that was a highlight of my concert life.  I kept yammering, "That's f#$king brilliant", to myself that whole show.  It's my favorite tour.  It's my second favorite show only because the last night of IE, in Chicago, they played Bad. I was finally seeing U2 with my brother after begging him since The Joshua Tree.  It's going to be hard to not know anything about this tour but I'm going to try.  I think we are going to get a lot of SOE.  It would not surprise me if they played almost all of it.  They just did TJT.  They've got the pulpit to play the new material.  I hope they go for it.  I don't want to know, but how?

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1

I managed to stay clear of watching anything of the IE tour that was posted on FB or on YouTube. It made it so much better the first night in Stockholm seeing that show. I always look at the setlist to see if there are any changes as they go through the shows to see if there's a song that I really wanna hear but that makes it more exciting for me to see if they play it at the shows I'll be at. Been lucky to hear Mercy, wild horses, a sort of homecoming live amongst some  others. Will be hoping for a couple of other songs I've not heard before this tour apart from the new ones. The Promo shots for the tour look amazing , almost like hologram or 3D

I have given up thinking I won't look at what goes on. I always look at what they played each night of a tour on setlist.fm

Love seeing if they have done anything new or changed things around.

I'm going to LA and it'll be still early on in the tour. So it will be interesting to see how the setlist changes between LA and last night in Dublin!

I've just started going to the first show of the tour because I have no self-control. If I'm not there, I'm obsessively looking for spoilers and streams. 😂

• Haha 1

On 4/2/2018 at 4:19 PM, spongebob said:

Although I would like to watch the concert without any spoilers, I know I'm not going to manage to resist watching youtube and Periscopes. I wont be able to resist knowing what songs to expect, where best to stand, the stage set up, where the Red Zones are etc..... Basically Im just too nosey:D

Me too! :lol:

I can't wait for September!

I always avoid all coverage, especially if I know I'm going to see them in concert, which I am. The only stuff I watch is when U2.com provides us with live feed which they use to on occasion. That's always fun. I may also catch stuff posted to You Tube after the fact if I happen to hear about a particular performance which caught people's eye as a must-see.

I'm not in to setlist watching and all that. For me it takes the fun and enjoyment out of it. You have to follow people on Twitter to get the footage and that you always encounter opinions - the good, the bad, the ugly... I'm just not interested in that aspect of it since then you encounter set list complaints and major FOMO after a while. I respect many are into it. I'm just not.

I’m with you Belfast Mick!  I just honestly can’t sit at home watching it on periscope like I did (once) for TJT but quite how I’m going to manage is not yet known!  It just isn’t the same at all (especially as the show was pretty much the same every night) and I don’t want surprises ruined this time.  I missed the I and E tour - had to relinquish both sets of tickets (Köln and London) due to health and it was the first tour missed since the original Joshua Tree.....I couldn’t look at ANY info relating to it at all for quite a different reason - I was in pieces at home very ill knowing that I should have been there, it was a double whammy.  The person I gave my London tickets too was posting things every 5 minutes on instagram and I ended up chucking my phone across the room and crying.   I’ve since looked of course - when I could deal with it!   For The Joshua Tree - I did look for advice on where best to stand in the red zone but ended up ignoring it all anyway and just letting it be as it was on the night.

i am really going to try to restrain myself from looking.  I have fortunate (though skint) to have 4 shows to look forward to in 3 different places.  The first 2 are seated - both on Edges (south?) side. The first show is up front near main stage and second is opposite B stage - both are facing the big screen in the middle so that will be great from seeing what happens and when.  The next 2 shows are back to back for me in London - 1 standing and then redzone to finish on the North side so I reckon by then I will have figured out where to try and stand.  I do like looking at set lists to see what oldies are going to be played though.  I think I need to find a new hobby to get me through the year as logging on here has become something of an obsession recently!

10 hours ago, Heather S said:

I’m with you Belfast Mick!  I just honestly can’t sit at home watching it on periscope like I did (once) for TJT but quite how I’m going to manage is not yet known!  It just isn’t the same at all (especially as the show was pretty much the same every night) and I don’t want surprises ruined this time.  I missed the I and E tour - had to relinquish both sets of tickets (Köln and London) due to health and it was the first tour missed since the original Joshua Tree.....I couldn’t look at ANY info relating to it at all for quite a different reason - I was in pieces at home very ill knowing that I should have been there, it was a double whammy.  The person I gave my London tickets too was posting things every 5 minutes on instagram and I ended up chucking my phone across the room and crying.   I’ve since looked of course - when I could deal with it!   For The Joshua Tree - I did look for advice on where best to stand in the red zone but ended up ignoring it all anyway and just letting it be as it was on the night.

i am really going to try to restrain myself from looking.  I have fortunate (though skint) to have 4 shows to look forward to in 3 different places.  The first 2 are seated - both on Edges (south?) side. The first show is up front near main stage and second is opposite B stage - both are facing the big screen in the middle so that will be great from seeing what happens and when.  The next 2 shows are back to back for me in London - 1 standing and then redzone to finish on the North side so I reckon by then I will have figured out where to try and stand.  I do like looking at set lists to see what oldies are going to be played though.  I think I need to find a new hobby to get me through the year as logging on here has become something of an obsession recently!

Hi Heather. Sorry to hear your health prevented you from seeing I and E. Hopefully the 4 upcoming concerts will make up for it. Not sure where your first 2 concerts are but in Belfast Edge is on the North Side of SSE and Adam is on the South. Sounds like you have great seats regardless 

We didn't find out the gender of either of our kids before they were born so that we would be surprised at birth...best decision ever....

but a U2 show - well I know I would not be able to resist!!

I could say I won't read/watch/periscope anything, but I know that I won't make it until Montreal in June.  One benefit of watching some footage is it helps me decide where to head for when I go in with GA tickets.  knowing the stage set up and where they perform most/certain songs/etc... helps me choose the right spot.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LauraMarie87 said:

This will be my first im going on the 28th Oct cant wait. 

You're in for a treat. 2015 was fantastic at the Odyssey. McHughs had a U2 tribute night with music before and after the shows

4 hours ago, LauraMarie87 said:

I'm so excited what night are you going? Hope my seats are decent enough .

I'm going both nights but then I'm slightly obsessive like most people on here :-). May even try for a Dublin night closer to the time. 

On 2/7/2018 at 12:09 PM, jaimearodriguez said:

My plan is to go to opening night in Tulsa. This way, temptation becomes irrelevant.

Same. Can't be spoiled if ya already saw it in real life, right?