Sign in to follow this  
dazed and confused

Ticketing Rip Off The Band Need To Act

The band are now putting their name to these Platinum tickets being sold by Ticketmaster (see image at the end of my post)  and it is making me sick to my core . Of all the bands out there and as a fan of 35 plus years how can they be exploiting there fans to this level .£300 plus for GA tickets are you kidding me ,genuine working class fans who put the band where they are today  have no chance of affording these scam tickets . Why are the band allowing Ticketmaster to cream off the best tickets seating and standing and sell them at vastly inflated prices that their fan base would have to go into debt to afford,

This is the description that Ticketbastard have of these tickets  Please note Platinum Tickets are in demand tickets to concerts and other events made available by artists and event organisers through Ticketmaster. They give fans fair and safe access to in demand tickets at market driven prices. Platinum tickets are ticket-only purchases and prices are subject to change at any time.......At least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear  a mask :angry::angry:

Fair and safe access what an absolute load of BS its legalized ticket touting and the band need to act NOW, if they continue to condone this scam i will seriously consider calling an end to my 35 years plus of supporting the band on their future tours . THE BAND NEED TO ACT 

I managed to secure two GA tickets for Manchester finally and after a  fair bit of heartache with the joke of a pre sale but many other geniune fans were not so lucky ,how do you think these people feel when they see the tickets they prized so highly on sale by T/M to the highest bidder THE BAND NEED TO ACT .

i am making some noise   for real fans whose stories i am continually reading on social media  who lets face it never really had a chance of getting cheapish tickets  here's one i read last night and i feel it hits the spot perfectly and forced me to act  .

As a major loyal U2 FAN for the last 32 years it saddens me to say that I am totally disgusted and angered at that fact that the majority of tickets for the Belfast and Dublin gigs ended up on third party resell sites. I tried to get tickets for myself (having seen them six times) and my 2 sons who are 14 and 7. What breaks my heart is that my 7 year old (born on the same day as me) broke is heart when he found out we couldn't get tickets. After listening to elevation in my car one day about 2 years ago he fell in love with the boys in a big way and as I type I can hear him in his room playing running to stand still. What angers me is that no thought or provision was given for real fans. I was happy to pay the face value for tickets but not the ridiculous rates that went on sale minutes after the official 9 am sale release. 
5 minutes after they went on sales I seen prices of £900 And upwards for a pair of tickets. 
To U2 I say this it's your fans that put you where you are now and when they need you most you weren't there.

I leave U2 with this question......

How is it you can convince world leaders to erase $25 billion in debt to third world countries but can't control the sale of your own ticket prices. 

From a loyal , loving and angered fan

THE BAND NEED TO ACT 

I feel ever since Paul Mcguiness left the organization and Live Nation  got their claws into the group things have gone downhill but now things have come to a head and THE BAND NEED TO ACT .

£200 PLUS for a top priced seat is too expensive especially when they toured last year and the year before .The band are multi multi millionaires who fight for fantastic causes around the world why not fight for a fair deal on tickets for your own working class fans instead of letting Ticket Master and Live Nation RIP THEM OFF  

THE BAND NEED TO ACT 

I hope this post doesn't fall on deaf ears as the band are slowly eroding its fan base with this absolutely scandalous ticketing policy ,i would like to sit down with the band (yeah right !!) and discuss this as surely they are not aware how the real fans are being treated .

Queen tickets went on sale for the O2 in London last week  with seats and standing £80. THE BAND NEEDS TO ACT 

U2 of all the bands out there need to get back to sensible ticketing pricing its no good saying its all down to market forces blah blah blah ,you are rich beyond your wildest dreams take control of your own ticketing sit down with real fans and discuss their real concerns U2 live shows should be for the many not the few thanks Jezza :) 

Bono Larry Adam Edge my details are here its good to talk  :)

THE BAND NEED TO ACT 

#THISISNOTU2

Rant Over 

U2_RIP_OFF.png

• Like 1
  • Brilliant 1

Sorry, I don't meant to be a d**k but why would the band act on this?

For everyone questioning platinum tickets, ticket packages or ANYTHING related to ticketing, merchandise, even the 'fan club' that we basically pay an extra 25 a ticket to be part of, if you aren't aware Live Nation/Ticketmaster basically own U2.

Ok that is stretching it but you do get that when they signed their 10 or 12 year deal which, if I recall correctly, McGuinness negotiated, that is when EVERYTHING we bitch about changed, for the most part. Point is they have NO REASON to make a change because the people running their business are also running the forum in which you are posting and they signed a deal with these people to make more money...  With that said, I still love the band, am very disappointed there are over a half dozen shows in and around my area and I have tickets to NONE of them (not from lack of trying, TRUST ME). Unfortunately this is all about business not music! 

You are not being a dick but  have just summed up everything that is wrong with what is going on ,this band above all others in my eyes stand for something and this is being eroded away by greed  and they are losing touch with the likes of me an you and many others who put them where they are today .  

I have put my head above the parapet so many times when Bono has been acting like a "dick" and "shouted down"  anyone who would question his geniuness  but what is happening on this tour is a scam 

Younger acts are catching the mood Ed Sheeran teamed up with a Face Value ticketing site Twickets so fans didn't get ripped off is just one example .

This premium thing really grates me as they have not gone on resale sites they are actually creaming the best tickets off and vastly inflating them it should be illegal .

Edited by dazed and confused
  • Like 1

@sm2112 has already pointed out that U2 have sold themselves to Live Nation - and LN owns Ticketmaster. U2 have NO influence anymore. It's not U2 who make ticket prices and bundles, it's TM or LN. 

@dazed and confused When it all comes down ticket prices for U2eiTour are pretty fair. GAs for 90 Euros is ok.! Cheaper than other big groups, no "early entry" or "FOS". That's very good. It could have been worse. Even the highest category with approx. 230 Euros is ok., Of course it's too much but in the live industry of nowadays that is the price you have to pay. Of course the allocation is in parts terrible. Selling upper level seats for that price is ridiculous. Overall U2 many other bands like ACDC, Justin Timberlake, Guns N Roses, Springsteen are more expensive. The second market is a different world. 

Totally agree with the first comments. The cost for going to a concert is crazy money. The e&i tour is not selling out like previous tours. Stupid money is being asked for tickets. How can other artists play the same venues but the tickets are nowhere near the same. I know U2 are a massive group, but don't be ripping us off. 

Fans are paying these silly prices (like me). It's time we stopped. And going from the sales of this tour particularly Boston or Chicago, fans won't pay the prices

Well there are bands that go out and play shows for much less. Yes I understand U2 is huge, I understand it is all about business and not music, regardless of what most want to believe..

SO!!! Knowing the types of fans this band has had for decades and thinking about how many shows the average fan goes to and the fact that you are charging them 50 for membership in a 'fan club' that is really just early access to ticket allotments. WHY NOT just change the rules, we get it, you want more $$ so why not just say you can buy 2 tickets to, up to 3 shows (probably the average person here goes to 3), can choose GA or any price level you want and there is an additional $25 a ticket added. LiveNation/Ticketmaster will still make even more money and we get a little more even if it isn't perfect, you could do it CC entry or mail order, etc etc. Bottom line is it would give real fans the opportunity to see a few shows, if they wanted to and there are safe guards, to some degree, that keeps them from just buying and reselling them which OBVIOUSLY Ticketmaster/Live Nation DO NOT care about as long as they get a piece of this secondary market as well. So, if the only resale for those tickets was on TM I am sure they would see the light they get $25 more upfront and then IF someone actually sold the tickets they would make a % of that money as well.. it's WIN WIN WIN WIN for Ticketbastard with a chance for fans to see a few shows. 

Of course I don't love the idea as a whole but I am willing to pay the 25 a ticket more (as I have in the past) to know I can get to to a few shows without being completely raped. 

• Like 1

It‘s pretty clear that the band members don’t care. Just remember that open letter that the fan sites sent to Guy Oseary. His answer showed that he (and he represents U2) doesn’t care.

12 minutes ago, spacko said:

It‘s pretty clear that the band members don’t care. Just remember that open letter that the fan sites sent to Guy Oseary. His answer showed that he (and he represents U2) doesn’t care.

where is this letter/response is there a link mate ?

5 minutes ago, spacko said:

Thanks my main concerns are not the pre sales but this is an interesting insight for sure comments about making sure real fans get the tickets ,how many real fans can afford Platinum GA at £300 plus 

10 minutes ago, dazed and confused said:

Thanks my main concerns are not the pre sales but this is an interesting insight for sure comments about making sure real fans get the tickets ,how many real fans can afford Platinum GA at £300 plus 

That’s not correct. GA tix are 70 pounds and the most expensive regular tickets are 190 pounds.

Edited by spacko

Perhaps i am being naive but to me  U2 have always stood for Justice and Fairness throughout their career i remember sleeping on the street for reasonably priced tickets back in the 80's (cos i am an old git :)) does anyone think that selling Platinum tickets at £400 plus a pop  is Just or Fair when the real fans have spent their time trying to get them in pre sales open sales retail sales etc ,only to find when they sell out Ticket Bastard put them back on sale ,if you notice also the platinum ones never came on sale until after the open sale sold out its an absolute scam :angry:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, spacko said:

That’s not correct. GA tix are 70 pounds and the most expensive regular tickets are 190 pounds.

Platinum not regular price mate they only went on sale after all tickets sold out or were restricted 

I think it's fair to say that the very high ticket prices have annoyed fans. I love U2, but I don't care what anyone says, nobody is worth asking fans to pay crazy money for ONE TICKET. Pre sales are scams. I have being a member many times on and off over the years, yet someone can log on for the first time the night before a presale and be in the same group as me? Experience groups used their codes only to fine out that 2 more Dublin nights are happening? That cannot be fair. ARE U2 losing touch?

Edited by johnnyboy1
  • Like 2

Regarding the Oseary communication it would be nice to know if there had been any further contact between him and the signatories to the original letter.  As the U2.Com/Zootopia Community Managers were among those signatories maybe they could confirm whether or not there has been any follow up.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dermo said:

Regarding the Oseary communication it would be nice to know if there had been any further contact between him and the signatories to the original letter.  As the U2.Com/Zootopia Community Managers were among those signatories maybe they could confirm whether or not there has been any follow up.

I think it opened a channel... we will have to wait and see how that pans out.

The pre sale fiasco is one thing but my main issues in the original post are these platinum tickets that didn't go on sale until after the best tickets had been sold both seating and standing . This really does call into question the integrity of the band ,to allow their ticketing partners/management  to cream off the best tickets then sell them at vastily inflated prices after real fans have gone through the "mill" to try and obtain  them is just WRONG on so many levels. 

I may be again be  a little naive but if the 4 members in the band knew exactly what was going on surely they wouldn't condone this, i again call on them to DO THE RIGHT THING and sort this scam out THE BAND NEED TO ACT  

• Like 1

On 2/12/2018 at 9:52 PM, johnnyboy1 said:

I think it's fair to say that the very high ticket prices have annoyed fans. I love U2, but I don't care what anyone says, nobody is worth asking fans to pay crazy money for ONE TICKET. Pre sales are scams. I have being a member many times on and off over the years, yet someone can log on for the first time the night before a presale and be in the same group as me? Experience groups used their codes only to fine out that 2 more Dublin nights are happening? That cannot be fair. ARE U2 losing touch?

They need to get back to sensible ticket pricing the positive PR they would get out of such a move would force other bands to reconsider their questionable ticketing practices . They should take a look at what younger bands are doing 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigwave said:

I think it opened a channel... we will have to wait and see how that pans out.

Thanks for the response bigwave and for your and the other moderators work on this forum.  I have to admit I was/am sceptical about Osearys motives.  If nothing else it will be a test of his bona fides .  If something does develop it's important that it embraces as broad a group of fans as is possible.  It would be unfortunate if the impression is formed that an 'elite clique' of fans have access to 'the top'.

4 minutes ago, dermo said:

Thanks for the response bigwave and for your and the other moderators work on this forum.  I have to admit I was/am sceptical about Osearys motives.  If nothing else it will be a test of his bona fides .  If something does develop it's important that it embraces as broad a group of fans as is possible.  It would be unfortunate if the impression is formed that an 'elite clique' of fans have access to 'the top'.

good points. I know he is active on social media / at shows talking to fans at length, sometimes getting in touch directly on various things. 

9 minutes ago, bigwave said:

good points. I know he is active on social media / at shows talking to fans at length, sometimes getting in touch directly on various things. 

That's encouraging to hear.

I don’t think U2 has completely sold out all their US shows yet, which they Might have if the pre-sales via their website went smoothly, with more consideration for their fans (who don’t have CitiBank cards) And with a bit lower ticket prices. I don’t know of anyone anymore who can Now afford to see more than one show- the greed of corporate LiveNation is killing the band And the fans.

• Like 2

I totally agree with dazed and confused. The prices now are extortionate. GA is reasonable but they are limited in number and what if you can't/don't want to stand? I wanted to take my daughters to their first ever U2 gig but they are too young to stand and there is no way I can afford to buy seats for all 3 of us. The pre sale code used to give you first shout on pretty much any tickets but now even that is limited because a whole bunch of tickets are also reserved for Citibank priority, O2 priority etc etc. Then there is this ridiculous "Platinum Seating" where they hold them back and then sell ordinary tickets at stupid, unaffordable prices.

U2 as a band could and should do something about this. It seems to me that they are either unaware of this or are ignoring their fans because from what I can see in all of these forums and across social media, loyal U2 fans are voicing their disapproval and even stopping buying tickets/terminating their memberships. After this tour, I for one am definitely stopping my paid membership of U2.com. Why should I pay $50 in order to get a chance to buy seats that then cost a further £200 plus charges? Once I am out of U2.com, I will simply try and buy GA tickets through the normal channels and if this fails I will simply have to forfeit seeing my favourite band in concert. As a fan since 1985 and having seen them 15 times in various different countries, I feel saddened by this situation and let down by the band. I tweeted Guy Oseary and received no response and he sent that one response that we've all seen which to me was just a token gesture and nothing has changed as a result of it.

U2 HAS TO ACT NOW. They are losing the love and respect of many of us. The new album is great but these ticket prices are disgusting. ACT NOW BOYS, PLEASE.

• Like 2

On 2/12/2018 at 1:37 PM, dazed and confused said:

Real fans can afford Platinum GA at £300 plus

May I ask what platinum GAs are?  GAs were GAs in America.  There was Red Zone and GAs.  How can there be platinum GAs?  That makes no sense.  Do they get you into the venue before everyone else?  I'm very interested in this.  Any info would be appreciated.

On 2/14/2018 at 4:44 AM, dazed and confused said:

They need to get back to sensible ticket pricing the positive PR they would get out of such a move would force other bands to reconsider their questionable ticketing practices . They should take a look at what younger bands are doing 

Do you think they can continue to innovate with technologically wondrous tours without charging what they are charging?  I do not.  I'm not defending these prices.  I think it may be a case of it is what it is.  It costs $160 to see a Bulls game in Chicago.  It costs $225 to see the Blackhawks and be in good seats.  Chung Yang, (guessing the spelling) costs $140 and that's a generic Chinese travel group.  It's at least $150 to see the opera.  The current touring production of Les Miz is $141.  The internet is full of articles about how insanely expensive it is to go see a Cubs game at Wrigley Field.

There is a thread (maybe this one) which has three links that lead to interesting articles. Some countries are now considering the limitation of how much a person can mark up a ticket for resale.  One country is trying to make it only 10%.  They are good articles if you can find them. I've read arguments that the secondary ticket market is driving up basal ticket prices.  It certainly is not helping.  I'm hoping that they can figure out how to make sure the GAs get into the hands of fanclub members during presales before they become available for others. 

• Sad 1