Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Europa_Thomas

What's "Zoo"?

Recommended Posts

Maybe I should turn in my fan card for not knowing this, but what is the origin of U2's "Zoo" running gag? (ZooTV, Zooropa, Zootopia?)  :Zoo_Currency:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe it's because this place can be a zoo. It's also a spin off zooropa. It became Zootopia, the zoo for short.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Shannon387 said:

I believe it's because this place can be a zoo. It's also a spin off zooropa. It became Zootopia, the zoo for short.

That makes sense for the Zoo and Zootopia, but where did Zooropa and ZooTV come from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Europa_Thomas said:

That makes sense for the Zoo and Zootopia, but where did Zooropa and ZooTV come from?

Zoo Station was the first one, with the song taking its name from the station near Berlin Zoo. The tour took its name from the song (as with Lovetown, Elevation and Vertigo), and everything else just followed on from that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the song Zoo Station, off AB?  Which is a station on the subway in Berlin.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Canadanne said:

Zoo Station was the first one, with the song taking its name from the station near Berlin Zoo. The tour took its name from the song (as with Lovetown, Elevation and Vertigo), and everything else just followed on from that...

Logical enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The song's lyrics were inspired by a surrealistic story about Berlin from World War II that Bono heard, when overnight bombing damaged the Berlin Tiergarten (Zoo) and allowed animals to escape and wander around the city's rubble.

Europa Thomas it pleases me to see you are so curious about one of U2's most extra ordinary periods: ZOO TV. It was sheer madness back then, anything was possible at the time according to Larry. The ZOO TV show took a live on it's own. It blew audiences away worldwide. It certainly did blow me away!

 

"I am ready for the laughing gas.

I am ready for what's next.

.....I am ready for the crush......"

What an opening. Brrr. I love it to this day. Especially the live performances are among the best U2 has ever done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just looked it up on good ole Wikipedia under "Zoo TV Tour".

It adds to what everyone says here on this thread, Eurpoa_Thomas!

:JT_Logo_03:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, natural11 said:

I just looked it up on good ole Wikipedia under "Zoo TV Tour".

It adds to what everyone says here on this thread, Eurpoa_Thomas!

:JT_Logo_03:

I could have gone there, but I wanted a more reputable source, like here. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bettydalton said:

The song's lyrics were inspired by a surrealistic story about Berlin from World War II that Bono heard, when overnight bombing damaged the Berlin Tiergarten (Zoo) and allowed animals to escape and wander around the city's rubble.

Europa Thomas it pleases me to see you are so curious about one of U2's most extra ordinary periods: ZOO TV. It was sheer madness back then, anything was possible at the time according to Larry. The ZOO TV show took a live on it's own. It blew audiences away worldwide. It certainly did blow me away!

 

"I am ready for the laughing gas.

I am ready for what's next.

.....I am ready for the crush......"

What an opening. Brrr. I love it to this day. Especially the live performances are among the best U2 has ever done.

Thanks, Betty.

I wish I could have seen them on that tour, but I hadn’t been born yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/02/2018 at 8:55 AM, JCF said:

From the song Zoo Station, off AB?  Which is a station on the subway in Berlin.  

Dunno how true it is, but apparently the intro to EBTTRT is the sound made on the train when the doors close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2018 at 1:10 PM, bettydalton said:

The song's lyrics were inspired by a surrealistic story about Berlin from World War II that Bono heard, when overnight bombing damaged the Berlin Tiergarten (Zoo) and allowed animals to escape and wander around the city's rubble.

Europa Thomas it pleases me to see you are so curious about one of U2's most extra ordinary periods: ZOO TV. It was sheer madness back then, anything was possible at the time according to Larry. The ZOO TV show took a live on it's own. It blew audiences away worldwide. It certainly did blow me away!

 

"I am ready for the laughing gas.

I am ready for what's next.

.....I am ready for the crush......"

What an opening. Brrr. I love it to this day. Especially the live performances are among the best U2 has ever done.

 

Everything about this era of U2 is the best IMO. AB, Zoo TV, Zooropa (and Im goin to add Pop too) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grande 3:16 very interesting to read your comment about the sound of closing doors in the intro of "Even better than the real thing". I am gonna listen to it again. Great song!

When Achtung Baby was released I had visited Berlin as a tourist. Playing" Zoo Station" on my walkman when I entered Berlin. Playing it again when I was in the actual subway station called Zoo Station (Tiergarten). There is also a subway line called "U2" in Berlin ! No kiddin. U2 performed one of their new songs of Songs of Experience live in the Berlin Subway. Trains do come in, doors open and Bono starts singing to the surprised people inside the subway. Hilarious. Great live performance by the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bettydalton said:

There is also a subway line called "U2" in Berlin !

On one of my trips to Berlin, I was amused to find our hotel was literally "just a stop down the line" from Zoo Station on the U2 line. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The acoustic part of the ZOO TV tour on the mini stage was one of the best parts of ALL U2 live performances. Spontaneous, great crowd singing, and wonderful alternate acoustic versions. I liked it that during this recent 2018 tour they ended with a delicate song 13 (There is a Light), similar to the use of "Love is Blindness" as a finale during the ZOO TV tour. However I felt that the Achtung Baby songs during this 2018 tour fell flat without the big ZOO TV stage surroundings. I love the idea though of a return of the full ZOO TV tour like many others suggested at this forum, just like they did with the Joshua Tree tour in 2017. These violent times in world politics are the perfect period for a full blown huge Actung Baby stadium tour. Those songs need to be BIG in BIG stadiums. ZOO TV was the most powerful U2 ever have been. Edge hinted at returning to the bigger stadiums during a recent review. U2 always seems to be too big for the smaller arena's. U2 is all about crowds singing along. And at U2 live concerts I really feel bigger is better...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.