U2Community

Two More Shows In The US

Recommended Posts

REALLY surprised to see more cities being added at this point.  Let's hope for even more!  Need to get at least one more within my 500-mile must-attend radius!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to make a complaint here so that hopefully the mods will read it and, thus, bring it to the attention to those who can actually change the policy.

On past tours, U2.com subscribers were entitled to 4 tickets per leg of a tour. Now, if we have already used our reduced allotment of 2 tickets, we can't buy any more tickets for any dates added in the future with our fanclub membership, even if you get emails (as I just did) with a code that you haven't ever used to buy tickets. That means that if you go to one show with somebody else, or to two shows by yourself, on any leg this year, you have used up your entire fanclub allotment for the whole calendar year?!?!?

That's beyond crazy...

I have more to say that goes beyond this specific point, but I'll let this complaint sit as is for now. I think I can speak for the whole U2.com membership that we're very disappointed in this reduction of opportunities to see our favorite band that we pay the same yearly membership dues, whether they are on tour or not...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why are they sending out emails with pre-sale codes for the new shows if we've already used it?  Seems they are just trying to get people to make a mistake. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, finz_89 said:

Why are they sending out emails with pre-sale codes for the new shows if we've already used it?  Seems they are just trying to get people to make a mistake. 

Agreed.

Admittedly, it is a different code from the one available for the initial on-sale opportunities a few months ago - and that's really is what is causing the potential problem, i.e., the code is different from the original one; thus, having this new one gives the appearance that you have another opportunity to buy tickets.

Going further, if we can't use this code now, what exactly is if for? Will it be able to be used someday? No one seems to know...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dmway said:

Agreed.

Admittedly, it is a different code from the one available for the initial on-sale opportunities a few months ago - and that's really is what is causing the potential problem, i.e., the code is different from the original one; thus, having this new one gives the appearance that you have another opportunity to buy tickets.

Going further, if we can't use this code now, what exactly is if for? Will it be able to be used someday? No one seems to know...

I know its near presale start time, but if in any doubt, best thing is to call the Help team who can access each subscribers account and should be able to confirm whether you have a valid code or not (remember to get all responses in writing / make notes of who you speak to / times etc.)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, bigwave said:

I know its near presale start time, but if in any doubt, best thing is to call the Help team who can access each subscribers account and should be able to confirm whether you have a valid code or not (remember to get all responses in writing / make notes of who you speak to / times etc.)

Thanks for this.

I was able to get through quickly, and she confirmed that it would most likely be in my best interest not to try - I hate the lack of definite specificity in this advice, though. I understand it here  - the mods can't know everything - but U2.com Help should be able to give me/us a 100% guaranteed answer...:rolleyes: Since I don't want to risk forfeiture of my other two tickets, I can't try.

Of course the point in my original post still stands...

 

13 hours ago, dmway said:

I'm going to make a complaint here so that hopefully the mods will read it and, thus, bring it to the attention to those who can actually change the policy.

On past tours, U2.com subscribers were entitled to 4 tickets per leg of a tour. Now, if we have already used our reduced allotment of 2 tickets, we can't buy any more tickets for any dates added in the future with our fanclub membership, even if you get emails (as I just did) with a code that you haven't ever used to buy tickets. That means that if you go to one show with somebody else, or to two shows by yourself, on any leg this year, you have used up your entire fanclub allotment for the whole calendar year?!?!?

That's beyond crazy...

I have more to say that goes beyond this specific point, but I'll let this complaint sit as is for now. I think I can speak for the whole U2.com membership that we're very disappointed in this reduction of opportunities to see our favorite band that we pay the same yearly membership dues, whether they are on tour or not...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd kill to have had a code for today...1 final blow to whats been a frustrating ticketing experience...To think, all of this could have been resolved had 1 of my seven CC been that of Citibank in 2018...not cool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is why announcing shows in dribs and drabs is so infuriating for fans. It's one thing to add shows to dates already announced - that's normal and expected. But at least announce all the cities and at least 1 date for each so people can better plan how to use our codes. Or issue new codes for "extensions", which is what I basically consider these 2 out-of-left-field shows to be.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's the point?  Looked for tickets right at 10 AM for the Mohegan Sun show. NO FLOOR tickets available and the rest of the tickets were crazy expensive. 

Screwed out of another presale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have heard that a large amount of tickets for the Mohegan Sun venue is set aside for tribal members and high rollers at the casino. If this is true, combined with a small capacity, I would imagine today may have been frustrating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lorijane said:

I have heard that a large amount of tickets for the Mohegan Sun venue is set aside for tribal members and high rollers at the casino. If this is true, combined with a small capacity, I would imagine today may have been frustrating.

Interesting. I would not think high rollers would want GA, though!!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact that there's already 2 in Boston, 2 in LI, another 3 NYC and whatever Jersey got within weeks of Mohegan prbly created less demand..I literally don't think any more die-hards had codes left to participate at this point.  I may be paying up for that show...Mohegan is like the closest a u2 show has come to me in nearly 15 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, THENEWYORKTONY said:

What's the point?  Looked for tickets right at 10 AM for the Mohegan Sun show. NO FLOOR tickets available and the rest of the tickets were crazy expensive. 

Screwed out of another presale

No shit?...I was wondering but didnt see any chatter anywhere like there was months ago..And you were in "Experience @ 10 too...Damn, thats weak..there must not have been any put aside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2018 at 9:02 AM, dmway said:

Thanks for this.

I was able to get through quickly, and she confirmed that it would most likely be in my best interest not to try - I hate the lack of definite specificity in this advice, though. I understand it here  - the mods can't know everything - but U2.com Help should be able to give me/us a 100% guaranteed answer...:rolleyes: Since I don't want to risk forfeiture of my other two tickets, I can't try.

Of course the point in my original post still stands...

 

 

I also called and simply asked if my code was still valid. The person took a minute or so and said I don't see why not.  So similar to you, I got a maybe, which isn't helpful at all. Also submitted a question via the automated form with more specifics about bought tickets with the first shows and now have a different code, is it still valid for the two new shows. As much as I'd like to have a way to confirm if this would cause a violation or not, scalpers would just find a way to abuse it.  IIRC, for the JT 2017 when you entered your code it would tell you how many tickets you had left, but maybe it was a dream. 

Edited by finz_89
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2018 at 11:12 AM, stateless said:

This is why announcing shows in dribs and drabs is so infuriating for fans. It's one thing to add shows to dates already announced - that's normal and expected.

I agree.  But reading between the lines, I don't think the band ever intended to play these cities.  I think the sales on this tour were underwhelming compared to the previous indoor tour, and I think that's a direct result in the huge spike in prices from 2015 to today.  (One seat I sat in for 2015 that was $80 then has been reclassified as a $175 seat; another seat I sat in during the 2015 tour that was $100 then has been boosted to the $330 price level now.)  If you look at the tour routing layout from the original announcement last fall, I think the intention was to add second shows at nearly every announced venue, and third and fourth shows at others.  Most of those additions didn't materialize, because the first nights either didn't sell out at all, or took a very long time to do so. 

LiveNation overpaid U2 for their touring business, and now LiveNation has to make that money back somehow.  Since the anticipated demand at these prices wasn't there but the tour schedule was designed for there to be extra shows, I think they're now looking to add dates to make up for that.  It costs a lot of money to keep this show on the road, with all of the equipment costs and personnel costs, and for them to have a whole bunch of days off that were never intended to be days off can really hurt the bottom line.

To give just one example, in 2015, U2 sold out eight shows at Madison Square Garden in New York City.  For 2018, they haven't sold out all three that they have booked.  They have a single show on Long Island (about an hour from the Garden) at a venue that holds significantly fewer people than the Garden, and it hasn't sold out.  They have a single show in Newark, New Jersey (less than an hour from the Garden), and it hasn't sold out.  Even if we count those shows as "NYC" shows, that brings them up to five NYC-area shows that aren't sold out, compared to eight sell outs just three years ago.  Now, did NYC lose almost half of its U2 fans in just three years?  Or were the shows priced so high that a lot of people who might have wanted to go felt forced to sit it out?  My own guess is that it's the latter. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:02 PM, vertigojds said:

To give just one example, in 2015, U2 sold out eight shows at Madison Square Garden in New York City.  For 2018, they haven't sold out all three that they have booked.  They have a single show on Long Island (about an hour from the Garden) at a venue that holds significantly fewer people than the Garden, and it hasn't sold out.  They have a single show in Newark, New Jersey (less than an hour from the Garden), and it hasn't sold out.  Even if we count those shows as "NYC" shows, that brings them up to five NYC-area shows that aren't sold out, compared to eight sell outs just three years ago.  Now, did NYC lose almost half of its U2 fans in just three years?  Or were the shows priced so high that a lot of people who might have wanted to go felt forced to sit it out?  My own guess is that it's the latter. 

The answer is neither.  For anyone with a casual interest in seeing U2, there has been plenty of opportunity over the past 2-3 years.  So that 8 show sellout was the first set of shows since the 360 tour. (3 years?)  The current SOE shows are harder to sell because a) there was a concert last year in the same major markets.  b), there were concerts in the same markets 1-2 years prior to that c) the new music from the last two albums doesn't have widespread acceptance so there is nothing to draw in non-diehard fans.  So you get the situation like we have now, floor tickets are still unobtainable and the bowl is 10-30% unsold (nose bleeds and the upper half of the $300 seats).

Heck the Omaha show still has RedZone's available and its been on sale for 2 weeks. (edge's side still shows as dark blue meaning many tickets still available).  Of course if all tickets were $50 they'd be sold, but the prices aren't dramatically different than SOI so price alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2018 at 2:54 PM, finz_89 said:

The answer is neither.  For anyone with a casual interest in seeing U2, there has been plenty of opportunity over the past 2-3 years.

I think that could definitely be a factor, and it's true that I haven't given much weight to that possibility when discussing the ticketing. 

 

On 3/25/2018 at 2:54 PM, finz_89 said:

the prices aren't dramatically different than SOI

If you're referring to Red Zone tickets from 2015 to Red Zone tickets in 2018, I'd agree with that.

And even if you're looking at top ticket prices from 2015 and 2018, I'd agree in theory that they don't seem that much higher.  The top price was about $290 in 2015, and it's now $330 in 2018.  I'd argue that a $40 increase is a lot for only three years later, but in and of itself, it's not a giant raise.  And the $75 price level from the 2015 tour has been increased to an $80 price level, so that's not a huge change either.

I believe the price categories for 2018 have been (with slight variations from venue to venue):
Price Level 1 - $330
Price Level 2 - $175
Price Level 3 - $112
Price Level 4 - $80
Price Level 5 - $50

These are up a little from 2015, but I think the overall idea that each category is about the same is accurate.  Price Level 3, for instance, was $112 at Madison Square Garden this year.  In 2015, Price Level 3 was $100.  So $12 more per ticket isn't nothing, but it's also not a huge increase.

What I think is a big change is which seats are categorized as which price level.  The thing that's bothering me isn't really that the price levels have gone up a bit in three years, even though I do believe that they are being raised higher than inflation justifies for that period.  But the quieter type of price increase has been the reclassification of seats from lower price categories in 2015 to higher ones in 2018.

To give two examples: I had seats for two of the eight Madison Square Garden shows in 2015 (and was on the floor for the rest).  First example: I had a ticket that was priced at $100 that was in a higher row of the upper level, between the main stage and e-stage, with a full view of the screen, just very, very high up.  It actually was a pretty decent view, though I felt it was a lot of money to charge to be that far away.  That exact same seat for the 2018 tour has been reclassified two price levels up.  It's gone from being a $100 seat in 2015 to being a $330 seat in 2018.  Second example: I had a ticket that was priced at $75 in 2015 on the lower level behind the stage, with a pretty decent view of the band (albeit from the side and behind) and an angled view of the screen that made it easy to see the half closest to the main stage, but hard to see the end closest to the e-stage.  This has also been reclassified two price levels up.  It's now a $175 ticket.

I think there have been a lot of increases like that, where the actual ticket prices seem roughly equivalent just looking at the numbers from tour to tour, but are bigger increases than it initially seemed because lots of seat locations have been reclassified.

I also think for the 2015 tour, price levels and what each price level got you was pretty consistent from venue to venue.  For the 2018 tour, it appears more dynamically priced.  For instance, looking at the newly added Omaha show, in the upper level sections 220, 221 and 222, the lower rows of those sections are priced at $175 each, and the higher rows of those sections are priced at $106.  But, if you look at the equivalent sections at Madison Square Garden in New York, the lower rows of the equivalent sections were priced at $330, and the higher rows were $175.  This means that fans in New York are being asked to pay twice as much as what fans in Omaha are being asked to pay.  I don't think that's right.

 

Basically, I think you're absolutely right that U2 have toured a ton in the past three years, and that may have decreased some of the demand this time around.  But I also think that there were fans who had every intention of going, who logged into TicketMaster, and discovered that the money they were willing to spend no longer got them what it did a mere three years ago.  I know that I was planning on trying to get the same seated locations that I had in 2015 for this current swing (I prefer GA but sometimes go with people who can't stand the whole night), and while I was willing to spend $100 for the same upper level seats I had in 2015, I was not willing to spend $330 for those seats this time.  I would have sat again in the side/behind stage seats that I had last time, but I was not willing to spend $175 for those seats this time.  I think there were a lot of people who would have been willing to spend $175 or even $330 for seats that were truly outstanding, and were turned off to discover that those high prices were no guarantees of actual seat quality.

  • Brilliant 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While discussing ticket prices the face value is bring used. It is worth noting that there are fees added on by TM that increase the purchase price significantly.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 7:21 PM, vertigojds said:

I think that could definitely be a factor, and it's true that I haven't given much weight to that possibility when discussing the ticketing. 

 

If you're referring to Red Zone tickets from 2015 to Red Zone tickets in 2018, I'd agree with that.

And even if you're looking at top ticket prices from 2015 and 2018, I'd agree in theory that they don't seem that much higher.  The top price was about $290 in 2015, and it's now $330 in 2018.  I'd argue that a $40 increase is a lot for only three years later, but in and of itself, it's not a giant raise.  And the $75 price level from the 2015 tour has been increased to an $80 price level, so that's not a huge change either.

I believe the price categories for 2018 have been (with slight variations from venue to venue):
Price Level 1 - $330
Price Level 2 - $175
Price Level 3 - $112
Price Level 4 - $80
Price Level 5 - $50

These are up a little from 2015, but I think the overall idea that each category is about the same is accurate.  Price Level 3, for instance, was $112 at Madison Square Garden this year.  In 2015, Price Level 3 was $100.  So $12 more per ticket isn't nothing, but it's also not a huge increase.

What I think is a big change is which seats are categorized as which price level.  The thing that's bothering me isn't really that the price levels have gone up a bit in three years, even though I do believe that they are being raised higher than inflation justifies for that period.  But the quieter type of price increase has been the reclassification of seats from lower price categories in 2015 to higher ones in 2018.

To give two examples: I had seats for two of the eight Madison Square Garden shows in 2015 (and was on the floor for the rest).  First example: I had a ticket that was priced at $100 that was in a higher row of the upper level, between the main stage and e-stage, with a full view of the screen, just very, very high up.  It actually was a pretty decent view, though I felt it was a lot of money to charge to be that far away.  That exact same seat for the 2018 tour has been reclassified two price levels up.  It's gone from being a $100 seat in 2015 to being a $330 seat in 2018.  Second example: I had a ticket that was priced at $75 in 2015 on the lower level behind the stage, with a pretty decent view of the band (albeit from the side and behind) and an angled view of the screen that made it easy to see the half closest to the main stage, but hard to see the end closest to the e-stage.  This has also been reclassified two price levels up.  It's now a $175 ticket.

I think there have been a lot of increases like that, where the actual ticket prices seem roughly equivalent just looking at the numbers from tour to tour, but are bigger increases than it initially seemed because lots of seat locations have been reclassified.

I also think for the 2015 tour, price levels and what each price level got you was pretty consistent from venue to venue.  For the 2018 tour, it appears more dynamically priced.  For instance, looking at the newly added Omaha show, in the upper level sections 220, 221 and 222, the lower rows of those sections are priced at $175 each, and the higher rows of those sections are priced at $106.  But, if you look at the equivalent sections at Madison Square Garden in New York, the lower rows of the equivalent sections were priced at $330, and the higher rows were $175.  This means that fans in New York are being asked to pay twice as much as what fans in Omaha are being asked to pay.  I don't think that's right.

 

Basically, I think you're absolutely right that U2 have toured a ton in the past three years, and that may have decreased some of the demand this time around.  But I also think that there were fans who had every intention of going, who logged into TicketMaster, and discovered that the money they were willing to spend no longer got them what it did a mere three years ago.  I know that I was planning on trying to get the same seated locations that I had in 2015 for this current swing (I prefer GA but sometimes go with people who can't stand the whole night), and while I was willing to spend $100 for the same upper level seats I had in 2015, I was not willing to spend $330 for those seats this time.  I would have sat again in the side/behind stage seats that I had last time, but I was not willing to spend $175 for those seats this time.  I think there were a lot of people who would have been willing to spend $175 or even $330 for seats that were truly outstanding, and were turned off to discover that those high prices were no guarantees of actual seat quality.

 WELL SAID!!!! Only 1 thing I would add. The long term fans that got COMPLETELY shut out of the presales(that would be me). I dropped my crazy down a couple of levels after getting burned. So in turn I'm not willing to pay big money for nosebleeds. In the past I paid what I had to, but after this time around I've gotten a bit pickier. I will always go see them, but my CRAZY isn't as crazy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2018 at 9:21 AM, CorkVegan said:

While discussing ticket prices the face value is bring used. It is worth noting that there are fees added on by TM that increase the purchase price significantly.

Yes, absolutely worth mentioning too, thanks for bringing it up.

I've noticed that the Ticketmaster fees seem exceptionally high for the U2 tour compared to other events also ticketed by Ticketmaster.

I remember back in 2005, when U2 first used Ticketmaster for their presales (previous tours had been mail order), that fan club members paid a lower service charge for their tickets than non-fanclub members.  Ticketmaster initially goofed and charged fan club members more than they were supposed to, but as part of the famous Larry Mullen "getting this fixed" initiative then, fans were refunded for these overcharges.

Unfortunately, we haven't had a better Ticketmaster rate since.

Just for a basis of comparison, this week I got to see "Springsteen On Broadway" - I had a pair of tickets which had a face value of $300 each.  The grand total, after all ticket fees were added up, was $641 - so I paid $41 in fees.  Meanwhile, for U2, I have a pair of tickets which had a face value of $175 each, and the grand total is $419, meaning that I paid $69 fees.  For another U2 show, I have three tickets which had a face value of $75 each, and the grand total was $295, so that's $70 in fees.  And for yet another U2 show, I have a pair of tickets which had a face value of $112 each, and the grand total was $279, which means $55 in fees.

So Ticketmaster is actually charging more in fees for U2 tickets than they are for higher priced tickets by other acts.

There was a brief period where as part of a legal settlement, LiveNation and Ticketmaster were required to disclose the full price of the ticket up front.  As soon as the period required by the settlement ended, they stopped doing it.  I think, at the very least, they should be required to disclose the full price up front.  Ticketmaster fees are unavoidable.  Technically, they say you can purchase tickets at the box office to avoid the fees, but in practice, that's not possible.  The overwhelming majority of large scale venues will not sell tickets at the box office on the first day tickets are onsale, and since most of these shows sell out on the first day, that means that one has to use Ticketmaster.  And fan club purchases can't be made at the box office.  So these really aren't "convenience fees" that I'm electing to pay in order to save the hassle of going to the box office - these are an unavoidable part of the ticket buying process.  To my mind, that means these fees should be disclosed up front as part of the total price.

Edited by vertigojds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Noticed on Ticketmaster today that most of the Vip party package tickets for Omaha are now standard ticket price or platI’m price there are a lot of seats left for that show. I am hoping it doesn’t get cancelled

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.