Sign in to follow this  
nyru2

Meet and Greet

On 3/14/2018 at 10:05 PM, Manohlive said:

A friend of mine saw Bono in the Orlando airport and texted me.  'He's just sitting here sipping coffee.  He's not disguised and he's in the middle of the terminal sitting as though he's flying coach.  Nobody has noticed him.'.  A few minutes later he texted me and told me that Bono was noticed and a mob of people went up to him.  My friend said that Bono did not shy away from any of it; quite the opposite.  He talked to everyone and signed things. My friend said someone eventually got Bono out of there and to wherever Bono goes when noticed in the Orlando airport.  I fly from Orlando to home quite often. My family lives in Florida.  I hate flying home because kids are crying now that Mickey is gone and their parents are quite crabby. Can you imagine looking away from that and seeing Bono casually sitting while sipping cafe?  I did not believe him until he laughed and showed me a picture he snapped because he knew I would doubt his story.  I still wonder if he somehow photoshopped it. He assures me he did not.  My friend had previously told me he thought Bono was a bit of an ass-#@$#.  He quickly changed his tune after seeing how Bono was humble and gracious to the fans.  He won't pay to see them live, but he did admit that maybe Bono is not such a jerk after all.  Ha.  Eat that, U2 foe! 

Cool story.  I was once in the Rainbow Room in L.A. (because I was waiting to attend a show at the Roxy next door), and Bono and some other man were seated at the tall cafe' table ten feet away from me, chatting over a beer and making plans, and finally ordering some Italian dish.  I didn't bother them, but it was cool.  No one else was around but the bartender.  My wife kicked me for not having made contact, but they were engrossed in conversation and I thought it would be uncool.  This was on May 3, 2012.  Bono walked past me a couple of times.  He was doing some classic Bono thing, I think he was trying to procure a canister of gasoline from the bartender, who knows why, maybe because he ran out of gas.

Other than that, I have "met" him at the San Jose show in 2015 when the band came out from sound check to greet fans who were waiting in the back.  I also got to shake Edge's hand and exchange a few words with him (I asked him how he was doing after he accidentally walked off the catwalk a couple of days earlier.  He said "I got off so lucky.")

Edited by Rich T.

On 4/2/2018 at 11:32 AM, mich40 said:

I agree. I have a friend who has loved Heart since the very early 80s. She paid for a meet and greet with them a few years ago and it was heartbreaking for her. As you said, ushered her in one door, 5 seconds with Ann and Nancy Wilson, picture taken, but with their camera (she couldn’t even get them to take a picture with her camera or phone) and picture mailed to her, and out another door. It definitely changed her opinion of them and their music. 

Right?   I remember following Heart's limo to their hotel in San Francisco in 1980, and seeing Ann, Nancy, and their bassist, and getting an autograph and exchanging a few words.  No other fans around.

So what I gather from the conversation in this thread - if I’m offered a meet and greet with U2 for $300-$750 (depending on price group, from regular to vVip), I should consider this a hoax? Today I was in fact offered this opportunity, to be held in Stockholm the last Saturday in Oct this year (2018), from a seemingly official U2 profile Instagram: ‘therealbonou2’.  When I mentioned that even the lowest price was a bit steep for me, since I’m on a prolonged sick leave with quite a reduced income, I was offered to get a ticket for $200, but then I’d have to wear a U2 t-shirt on arrival to the event (not a problem per se). That in itself gave me misgivings, so I thought I’d check here. Furthermore, seeing as U2 aren’t even playing in Stockholm on this tour, why would they have a meet&greet here? Or maybe that wouldn’t be so unusual?

I guess you can tell that I’m a newbie here (member for about 10 months) and generally new to fandom.  I appreciate all the input anyone can give me.

2 hours ago, louloulindell said:

So what I gather from the conversation in this thread - if I’m offered a meet and greet with U2 for $300-$750 (depending on price group, from regular to vVip), I should consider this a hoax? Today I was in fact offered this opportunity, to be held in Stockholm the last Saturday in Oct this year (2018), from a seemingly official U2 profile Instagram: ‘therealbonou2’.  When I mentioned that even the lowest price was a bit steep for me, since I’m on a prolonged sick leave with quite a reduced income, I was offered to get a ticket for $200, but then I’d have to wear a U2 t-shirt on arrival to the event (not a problem per se). That in itself gave me misgivings, so I thought I’d check here. Furthermore, seeing as U2 aren’t even playing in Stockholm on this tour, why would they have a meet&greet here? Or maybe that wouldn’t be so unusual?

I guess you can tell that I’m a newbie here (member for about 10 months) and generally new to fandom.  I appreciate all the input anyone can give me.

please PM us any detail you have about this, please...

2 hours ago, louloulindell said:

as Max says, if you can send us details via PM - this 'meet and greet' sounds most likely not a genuine offer, so take care in any details you give out about yourself.