Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dmway

Stephen Hawking, R.I.P.

I read it earlier while getting ready to go to my job interview. Such sad news. 

On the other hand, I feel privileged to have been alive at the same time as someone so brilliant. I admire the fact that he made the most complex ideas accessible ands understandable to us ordinary people through his books and TV work. And he had a brilliant sense of humour. He will be deeply missed. 

"We'll shine like stars in the summer night, we'll shine like stars in the winter light. One heart, one hope, one love."

5 hours ago, padawanbeck84 said:

I read it earlier while getting ready to go to my job interview. Such sad news. 

On the other hand, I feel privileged to have been alive at the same time as someone so brilliant. I admire the fact that he made the most complex ideas accessible and understandable to us ordinary people through his books and TV work. And he had a brilliant sense of humour. He will be deeply missed. 

Fully agreed. I really admired how much he was willing to share his knowledge and insights with non-scientists and did so in a clear way - not an easy feat. He deserves to be mentioned with Albert Einstein in that regard.

I also like how he occasionally interacted with the world outside of academia, e.g., his appearance on The Simpsons and his contributing to Pink Floyd albums.

2 hours ago, Stellaria said:

"We'll shine like stars in the summer night, we'll shine like stars in the winter light. One heart, one hope, one love."

I hope he is experiencing the universe first-hand now.

If he is cremated, it would be great if he had the same (or similar) tribute as Timothy Leary (psychedelic counter-culture revolutionary from the 60s) and Gene Roddenberry (the creator of Star Trek) where their ashes were spread in outer space.

That would be cool and quite fitting, IMHO.

On 3/14/2018 at 11:10 AM, peterferris8 said:

Rest in peace. A mind like no other.

Agreed. His inspiration lives.

21 hours ago, natural11 said:

Agreed. His inspiration lives.

It's amazing, and inspirational, how long he lived with Lou Gehrig's Disease. 

On 3/17/2018 at 12:41 PM, Manohlive said:

It's amazing, and inspirational, how long he lived with Lou Gehrig's Disease. 

Truly!