Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stellaria

Flags at shows - how do you feel?

How do you guys feel about flags at shows? When I watch U2 DVDs (especially European shows), there are a lot of flags and signs. Here in the U.S., not so much.

Now, I know you can't hold up a sign like a jerk the whole show, but what about just for a moment - either when a certain song comes on or the performer walks by? Same with girls getting on guys shoulders - is it way rock n' roll or way annoying?

If it's a "no" to both, and it's not cool for a girl to get on a guy's shoulder during "Red Flag Day" and hold up her sweet red flag that says "Let's get in the water", then how will the band know they rock SO hard and I am (I mean this hypothetical person is) behind their message 100%?

If this hypothetical person is in the US, she may want to see what is allowed at the venue. They did not allow flags at one of the Madison Square Garden shows I attended on the ieTour. 

I was at a show where a girl was continuously on a guy's shoulders blocking the view. Eventually the audience behind lost patience and pelted her with empty water bottles.

On the 360 tour we got there early and got a good position in front of Adam only for some bozos to push in front of us just as the concert was about to start. Didn't bother us much until he put his girlfriend on his shoulders for large parts of the concert. Spent half my concert having to look at some girls bum antler tattoo :angry:

On 3/14/2018 at 3:03 PM, mich40 said:

If this hypothetical person is in the US, she may want to see what is allowed at the venue. They did not allow flags at one of the Madison Square Garden shows I attended on the ieTour. 

I'm fairly certain they are not allowed in Chicago, either.  It's a safety concern and it imposes on others.  There's always a few who would hold up signs the whole time in hopes the act acknowledges them.  They ruin it for those who would do it, out of enthusiasm, for a short amount of time and then stop.  You might try bringing a red flag folded up and discreetly tucked somewhere.  Security is such an issue these days that they'll probably find whatever is not allowed.  It would be cool to see a bunch of reasonably sized red flags waving during Red Flag Day.

Yep, not a fan of flag waving in concerts and also in churches!

I don't mind flags so much, mobile phones and peoples arms holding them up bug more.  

15 hours ago, dermo said:

I don't mind flags so much, mobile phones and peoples arms holding them up bug more.  

Manohlive thanks you for the rest of enternity.  I thought I was the only one.

Prohibited Items
Guests of the United Center are prohibited from entering the arena with the following:

• Air horns or any other artificial noise makers
  • Banners, signs or flags
  • Fireworks
  • Laser pens or laser products of any type
  • Animals (excluding service animals)
  • Outside food or beverage of any kind (alcoholic beverages included)
  • Poles or sticks
  • Selfie sticks
  • Projectiles
  • Weapons of any kind, including guns, knives, pepper spray and mace.
  • Any other item deemed unacceptable by the United Center. The United Center will not store any of the aforementioned items

This is for Chicago.  I think it's the case for all indoor venues.  There should be a section, for your venue, like the one I've posted.  I don't want you to make or bring a flag with sentimental meaning and have to leave it at the gate when you enter.  They will not hold it for you.  In the garbage it goes and that is that.  Sorry.

Last time I took  a flag to a concert was 2009 at Croke Park, It was home made in the shape of a heart. We painted it in the back yard of our house back then. The kids (who aren't so much kids anymore) helped with the design -  speckled effect etc. Really proud of it, quite large, but not intimidating.

I'd never really done this before, but as I grow older and the band grow older I always think the next show may be our last show together - for whatever strange reason.

Anyhows, got to croker with the flag (more a message than a flag), climbed the steps to upper HOGAN - to find I had to get my flag checked!:D

Now, being from Ireland (north & south) -  I get that, it's what we must do - just in case....My flag passed the test...who can fault love?!;)

Personally, I don't do politics or contentious issues - sure I'm not blind - but - I do do love, hope and respect. Those types of flags I like.

I think U2 did a very clever thing back in the early eighties. They didn't pin their colours to a mast.

BOK specifically states no signs larger than 8 1/2 x 11 inches. Basically, the size of a sheet of copy paper. But there are people here with flags in the GA line and I will be very angry if they block my view in the assigned seating area.