U2Community

What's Your Be Attitude?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Shannon387 said:

I dont think the beattitudes were sarcastic I would say more satire & thought-provoking. 

I think you hit the bullseye with satire and thought-provoking.  I've always found sarcasm a part of satire.  I'm not arguing semantics.  I'm trying to get some base from which I can come up with good Be Attitudes.  Sadly, I'm drawing a blank in my attempts to even start one.  Thinking sarcasm and satire has given me another way of thinking about these.  Thanks to Shannon and Deidrebell.

Be Attitudes?  That is so clever and such a cool idea.   

Edited by Manohlive

It was also an album by Ric Ocasek.

Not sure if that helps...

:lol:

recordweek208.jpg

• Like 1

I literally woke up and my beattitude came to mind. Ive recorded & submitted it.

I didn't have any issues with submitting an mp3. Im using an iPad. 

5 hours ago, Shannon387 said:

I literally woke up and my beattitude came to mind. Ive recorded & submitted it.

I didn't have any issues with submitting an mp3. Im using an iPad. 

Yes - the problem seems to exist more often (exclusively?) with those who are using PCs.

I wish we would get some feedback on what to do if the site took our submissions originally, despite our inability to record in mp3.

Do we need to try to resubmit, or is the fact that we weren't told that they didn't go through originally enough to assume that they were accepted as offered?

It would be nice to know for certain. Still, I'm glad yours went through OK. :)

I don't get this. U2 please stop being guided by anything other than your music. I think most fans just want to hear you play good live music.

who gets ‘credit’ for the wit & wisdom You come up with? will they post your name or email address with your ‘be-attitude’? Or make a video clip of fans reciting their own material?  ...or will they just steal it all & use it as they wish?

On 4/6/2018 at 3:29 PM, Manohlive said:

It is interesting you use the word, sarcastic.  I had not thought of them as sarcastic.  They are very valid social commentary to me.  I can see, now that you mentioned it, where they are sarcastic.  May I ask what you mean by real ones?  I've read the announcement.  It seems to me they are giving us free reigns.  I'm  a bit confused by it all as well.  What do you mean by sarcastic versus real ones?  I'm not questioning you.  I'm intersted to know what you mean.

While I do think sarcasm is valid social commentary, I guess a better word would be mocking. I think Kendrick Lamar is mocking a society that lives by these empty tenets - blessed are the arrogant (who revel in their own company), the superstars (who belittle us), the filthy rich (who give away their pain to us all), the liars (who never have to face the truth).  They're not even the opposite of the beatitudes, where evil people would be punished.  It's more like a perversion of them.  Which is a lot like what living in Trump's America feels like to me.  All departments are praised for perverting their purpose.  (But now I'm getting political.)  When i said "real ones" I meant citing people you really do feel are blessed (such as mothers, teachers, the Dreamers...) and why.   Sounds like the U2 team is welcoming any and all. Maybe they'll transition from mocking to real praise?  Who knows.  Judging from the picture I'm guessing they're going to write them on the big screen sort of like the sayings during the intermission last time.  If I actually hear myself I will FLIP OUT.

Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 8.43.31 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Brilliant 1

11 hours ago, ramsatw said:

It was also an album by Ric Ocasek.

Not sure if that helps...

:lol:

recordweek208.jpg

Blessed are the Cars, for the good times will roll.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, yardie said:

I don't get this. U2 please stop being guided by anything other than your music. I think most fans just want to hear you play good live music.

Oh surely, they are going to do this at the beginning of "American Soul" - right where it would be completely fitting for it to be. The "Be Attitude" section on the album version would play, then our inclusions, then straight into the song. This idea would be fully appropriate live...

1 hour ago, hillpy2 said:

who gets ‘credit’ for the wit & wisdom You come up with? will they post your name or email address with your ‘be-attitude’? Or make a video clip of fans reciting their own material?  ...or will they just steal it all & use it as they wish?

This is what it says on the original webpage:

http://www.u2.com/news/title/whats-your-be-attitude

(Please note: By submitting your Be Attitude or uploading media through the form below, you are giving the production team permission to use it, free and gratis, in any way the creative muse leads them. Thanks in advance! )

They do ask for your name and e-mail on the page as well. Beyond that, I couldn't say.

Edited by dmway

3 hours ago, hillpy2 said:

They arent stealing anything... if you submit something you are willingly giving them permission to use it. They'll use the recording and I would imagine theyd tell you. Hence asking for your name & email.

4 hours ago, dmway said:

I wish we would get some feedback on what to do if the site took our submissions originally, despite our inability to record in mp3.

Do we need to try to resubmit, or is the fact that we weren't told that they didn't go through originally enough to assume that they were accepted as offered?

It would be nice to know for certain. Still, I'm glad yours went through OK. :)

It gave me a verification that it went thru so if you didnt get one I would assume yours didnt go thru. Id resubmit, if your able to.

51 minutes ago, Shannon387 said:

It gave me a verification that it went thru so if you didnt get one I would assume yours didnt go thru. Id resubmit, if your able to.

I got verification that it went through too, but, as with others here, it was an mp4, not an mp3, because my computer didn't give me the option to choose mp3. Apparently, that now happens with many PCs.

Again, it submitted successfully, but I have no idea whether or not the powers-that-be will just discard it because it's not an mp3 or if they will convert the submitted mp4 to mp3 (which would be very easy to do), or if mp4s work just as well as mp3s.

I/we would just like to know one way or the other - our submissions in mp4 were not refused originally, so right now we have no idea what the status is of our successfully submitted recordings...

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, DeirdreBell said:

While I do think sarcasm is valid social commentary, I guess a better word would be mocking. I think Kendrick Lamar is mocking a society that lives by these empty tenets - blessed are the arrogant (who revel in their own company), the superstars (who belittle us), the filthy rich (who give away their pain to us all), the liars (who never have to face the truth).  They're not even the opposite of the beatitudes, where evil people would be punished.  It's more like a perversion of them.  Which is a lot like what living in Trump's America feels like to me.  All departments are praised for perverting their purpose.  (But now I'm getting political.)  When i said "real ones" I meant citing people you really do feel are blessed (such as mothers, teachers, the Dreamers...) and why.   Sounds like the U2 team is welcoming any and all. Maybe they'll transition from mocking to real praise?  Who knows.  Judging from the picture I'm guessing they're going to write them on the big screen sort of like the sayings during the intermission last time.  If I actually hear myself I will FLIP OUT.

Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 8.43.31 PM.png

Wow. That was exceptionally well stated.  It helped me think more about this. The opposite of the Beatitudes?  I'm whiny because of Trump.  The whole mess has gotten me this last month or so. It's going to be interesting to read/hear the Be Attitudes of Americans versus those of other countries; especially Mexico, Central and South America.  How much will Trump influence submissions and from what direction? How will the Europeans react to Trump or not address him at all?  Great post, DeidreBell.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, hillpy2 said:

If you read the disclaimer-by submitting them we abandadon any claim to intelellectual property.  They are theirs to do as they deem fit.  At least that was my understanding.  I did read it very quickly,  My knowledge is limited.  It seems a pretty standard release.

Edited by Manohlive

16 hours ago, dmway said:

I got verification that it went through too, but, as with others here, it was an mp4, not an mp3, because my computer didn't give me the option to choose mp3. Apparently, that now happens with many PCs.

Again, it submitted successfully, but I have no idea whether or not the powers-that-be will just discard it because it's not an mp3 or if they will convert the submitted mp4 to mp3 (which would be very easy to do), or if mp4s work just as well as mp3s.

I/we would just like to know one way or the other - our submissions in mp4 were not refused originally, so right now we have no idea what the status is of our successfully submitted recordings...

Ah... Id try DMing Bigwave if you havent already. I would think that its alright but doesnt hurt to ask.

5 hours ago, doctornickriviera said:

Blessed are my elephants for they cannot be found.

Blessed is any elephant which cannot be found.  :(

On 4/5/2018 at 8:30 PM, Rich T. said:

It says to upload an .mp3 file, but when I clicked on "open", I didn't see mp3 as an option, so I uploaded mp4.  I guess I'll see what happens.

On 4/5/2018 at 10:02 PM, dmway said:

I had the same thing happen to me - I can't believe it would be beyond their ability to convert mp4 to mp3 if they really liked the entry.

Anyone else having this problem?

On 4/5/2018 at 10:21 PM, mediagurrl said:

Same. Unable to upload MP3, but it will take other files... like PDF. :|

On 4/6/2018 at 10:00 AM, txq said:

I can't upload an .mp3 at 244KB...frustrating!

On 4/6/2018 at 2:17 PM, dmway said:

Could we get some kind of advice about this? Could one of the mods ask those who are in charge of this for suggestions on what to do?

Are all of our former submissions not even being considered, or have they been accepted despite most/all not being in mp3 format?

It would be nice to know - thanks in advance!

20 hours ago, dmway said:

4 hours ago, Shannon387 said:

Ah... Id try DMing Bigwave if you havent already. I would think that its alright but doesnt hurt to ask.

I'll try a post. :)

@U2Community @bigwave @Max Tsukino @mich40  - are any of you able to provide any insight into the above?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Manohlive said:

Blessed is any elephant which cannot be found.  :(

I think they are stuck in an ivory tower malheureusement........

have asked for a check on whether other format sound files are getting through.. (mp4's etc). 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, bigwave said:

have asked for a check on whether other format sound files are getting through.. (mp4's etc). 

Thank you very much! I know there are very many here who would appreciate it - myself included.

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 2:18 PM, doctornickriviera said:

Blessed are my elephants for they cannot be found.

LMAO !!

On 4/6/2018 at 3:36 PM, surferdad said:

Blessed are the drummers for they will never have the burden of leading a band.

Mickey Hart would like to have a word with you, lol!

On 4/7/2018 at 12:53 AM, Manohlive said:

I think you hit the bullseye with satire and thought-provoking.  I've always found sarcasm a part of satire.  I'm not arguing semantics.  I'm trying to get some base from which I can come up with good Be Attitudes.  Sadly, I'm drawing a blank in my attempts to even start one.  Thinking sarcasm and satire has given me another way of thinking about these.  Thanks to Shannon and Deidrebell.

Be Attitudes?  That is so clever and such a cool idea.   

I think of it as more: If Jesus were preaching the virtues that our current American society appears to hold in esteem, what would He say? Independence, power, fame, privilege, wealth are just some of the "virtues" of our culture.

As far as "real" versus "sarcastic": Real would be, "Blessed are those that still seek love, for they have the power to change the world" wheras sarcastic would be "Blessed are the well-dressed men, for poor women made their clothes". These are both examples of submissions featured on the front page.

On 09/04/2018 at 4:00 PM, bigwave said:

Can I send in a C90 like it’s 1986?