Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sped

(Merged) EODM Hateful Comments/Eagles of Death Metal frontman calls Parkland shooting survivors 'vile abusers'

Recommended Posts

Remember when U2 reached out to help EODM after the Bataclan attack, and even gave them a slot at their rescheduled Paris show? 

What hateful comments from their frontman this weekend. He's a coward too, because he deleted the Insta posts, but they live on in screenshots.  

 

From NBC Nightly News in US

https://tinyurl.com/y9swbdvr

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I was really disappointed by his comments.

I really don't understand where he thinks he's coming from (philosophically, that is). But, ultimately, I'm chalking up his comments to a combination of PTSD over the terrorist attack that he, his band, and their audience endured and to his not always being a cuddly individual in the first place. I think he's just not understanding everything on a fundamental level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This story broke today.  I just read it on NBC news.   I'm sure it's all over the place by now.  I'm not sure why he would go after people as he did.  Is he angry/hurting and it's coming out in ways he may not intend or realize?  Does he realize?  I don't want to judge. Fudging a picture of Emma Gonzalez to be the girl tearing up the American Constitution is an unfortunate incident  I do not mean this to be about America. Doing that to anyone in any manner is not cool. I hope Miss Gonzlez can swiftly come to grips with his attack; that it strenghtens her resolve to keep going. I sincerely hope Mr. Hughes is okay.  I fear he is in for a lot of very negative attention.  This statement does not seem to be the same guy I see when I watch the end of IE Live in Paris.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he was trying to point out the obvious. France has strict gun ownership laws but those laws did nothing to prevent the murders.  You think it is bad now. could you imagine a world where only the bad guys are armed. Jesse understands that because that is the fundamental level. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its very kind of you to give him an out. I think hes not doing very well/feeling very well. perhaps the whole thing with gun violence sets him off. I cannot imagine what hes gone through. it sounds like recovery takes a long time, if he can ever recover from so much pain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i don't think he will have much push back to remarks supporting second amendment . he saw first hand what the French assault rifle ban looks like.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this about gun control or respecting the dignity of human life and respecting those who are mourning the loss of others to gun violence?  I think that while parallels; they are two sepearate subjects.  This story is about the marches; not the ensuing gun debate which is about to follow.  This could easily get heated.  Let's not lose sight of Emma Gonzalez standing in front of the world and bearing her pain for all to see so nobody else feels what so many are already mourning.  Mr. Helms made a mistake.  He is obviously hurting.  He's human.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, johnbrewer said:

I think he was trying to point out the obvious. France has strict gun ownership laws but those laws did nothing to prevent the murders.  You think it is bad now. could you imagine a world where only the bad guys are armed. Jesse understands that because that is the fundamental level. 

France's strict gun ownership laws are NOT even remotely the issue then or now. How on Earth would would NOT having those laws have helped the victims in the Bataclan? If you are attempting to claim that freely available guns are the best way to prevent gun violence by the "bad people", well, how do you explain why America, by a very long stretch, has the most gun violence from such people? Yours is not a rational argument.

Jesse has PTSD from from his experience, and it's clear from his comments that he is still suffering from it. If you wanted to destroy the live performance industry (or any entertainment for that matter), having open-carry at such events would destroy it completely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just going to point out that here in the UK, we have strict gun controls, and we haven't had a single school shooting since 1996 (that was the shooting in question that prompted those gun controls to be enforced). And before anyone mentions knife crime, it's also illegal to carry certain kinds of knife in public in the UK. 

I used to be of the opinion "Guns don't kill people, people kill people", but having watched the news over the years and looked at the facts I have renounced that opinion. 

If there's one thing that makes me angry about the aftermath of this most recent school shooting it's the fact that these CHILDREN, who have had to watch their classmates get shot and who stared death in the face and survived, are having names like "snowflake" thrown at them by alt-righters/right-wingers/NRA supporters. I feel sympathy for Hughes having been caught up in a mass shooting, but my sympathy for him has eroded severely with comments like these and also his comments in the aftermath of the Bataclan attack about muslims. We can't keep defending him by mentioning PTSD, because these are the kind of views he's always held - he didn't suddenly become a fundamentalist right-wing Trump-supporting gun nut immediately after that night in Paris. Having been through the same ordeal as these kids he should know how they feel and why they are calling for these long-overdue changes to the law in the US, but instead he joins the rest of the gun nuts, Trump supporters and alt right in shouting "Something something second amendment something something constitution ad hominem!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2018 at 2:46 PM, peterferris8 said:

I'm just going to point out that here in the UK, we have strict gun controls, and we haven't had a single school shooting since 1996 (that was the shooting in question that prompted those gun controls to be enforced). And before anyone mentions knife crime, it's also illegal to carry certain kinds of knife in public in the UK. 

I used to be of the opinion "Guns don't kill people, people kill people", but having watched the news over the years and looked at the facts I have renounced that opinion. 

If there's one thing that makes me angry about the aftermath of this most recent school shooting it's the fact that these CHILDREN, who have had to watch their classmates get shot and who stared death in the face and survived, are having names like "snowflake" thrown at them by alt-righters/right-wingers/NRA supporters. I feel sympathy for Hughes having been caught up in a mass shooting, but my sympathy for him has eroded severely with comments like these and also his comments in the aftermath of the Bataclan attack about muslims. We can't keep defending him by mentioning PTSD, because these are the kind of views he's always held - he didn't suddenly become a fundamentalist right-wing Trump-supporting gun nut immediately after that night in Paris. Having been through the same ordeal as these kids he should know how they feel and why they are calling for these long-overdue changes to the law in the US, but instead he joins the rest of the gun nuts, Trump supporters and alt right in shouting "Something something second amendment something something constitution ad hominem!"

The thing that really irritates me about people in power defending the second amendment is how often they plead the fifth when their own transgressions come to light.

I was not aware of Mr. Hughes' attacks on others, besides these current comments.  It seems he needs help.   I agree that those kids are bearing the brunt of the anger which stems from the politicians who dare not criticize the NRA.  The NRA gave my governor three million dollars last year.  They gave other candidates, which support them, one and a half million dollars last year. One of my reps is Paul Ryan, who is speaker of the house in America.  I realize the title should be capitalized.  I shall do so when I respect it again. I don't think these kids are going anywhere.  My hope is they are the ones who usher in badly needed change.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2018 at 11:59 PM, dmway said:

how do you explain why America, by a very long stretch, has the most gun violence from such people?

Denial of the truth by saying,  'There's nothing I can do about it anyhow.'.  It is very, very frustrating.  The NRA and $$$ and political lobbying.  It's insane how much money the NRA has; how much power they wield in politics and how many people the NRA has convinced that my government is going to shut down freedom if it enacts any meaningful gun legislation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG what is it about tragedy which always brings out the rude, holier than thou types(Lead Singer of EODM) and their ignorant comments!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im not going to defend him. What he said was outright mean& uncalled for. I also know nothing of him prior to the Paris attack. Im just sheding light & offering an alternate look. 

As one who has battled my own mental health for most of my life its not always crying in a corner, isolation, uncontrollable sadness or anxiety. In some its also anger & all that comes with it. He’s likely suffering PTSD & who knows what else. He’s angry. He went thru a traumatic experience & is likely still coming to terms with it. I think he just processed some stuff he saw the wrong way & he snapped. I wouldnt demonize him. He needs help from those who can help him. He doesnt need hate or anything hurtful said to him. That will only make it so much worse. Nobody need tolerate it, just social media wise, dont react. He doesnt need it. 

Side note, he deleted it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shannon387 said:

Im not going to defend him. What he said was outright mean& uncalled for. I also know nothing of him prior to the Paris attack. Im just sheding light & offering an alternate look. 

As one who has battled my own mental health for most of my life its not always crying in a corner, isolation, uncontrollable sadness or anxiety. In some its also anger & all that comes with it. He’s likely suffering PTSD & who knows what else. He’s angry. He went thru a traumatic experience & is likely still coming to terms with it. I think he just processed some stuff he saw the wrong way & he snapped. I wouldnt demonize him. He needs help from those who can help him. He doesnt need hate or anything hurtful said to him. That will only make it so much worse. Nobody need tolerate it, just social media wise, dont react. He doesnt need it. 

Side note, he deleted it. 

Shannon387....That is one of the best comments I've ever read.  Thank you for making yourself vulnerable in what you wrote.  You've tremendous respect from me in what you say, how you say it and how you choose to embrace life.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. Its a life-long battle. Just when you think youre past it, it can sneak up on you. Ive learned how to deal as I went along & lets just say in recent years social media & people who lack compassion flared things up & Ive had to learn to adapt. I really only recently felt comfortable in discussing it, when conversation calls for it. 

 

I was actually coming back to add....

He’s not by any means a coward or otherwise. He’s hurting. He was on stage performing with his band when 89 people were brutally murdered in front of him. Give him a break.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

how many beautiful souls have we lost to drugs and alcohol? I'm afraid for jesse, as he sounded like he was spouting off after having used a substance. I think hes bleeding and hurting and I look past his statements with ease as the rants of someone who might need Musicares to step in or offer help.

 

But yes. peter is right about his views as well.

 

Seems like a troubled soul.

 

Thanks Shannon for your courage (((HUGS))))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A colleague made my workplace hell for over a year due to his mental health problems.

Some days I look back and think "He hurt me because he was unwell."

Other days I just think "He hurt me."

I have found that forgiveness is an ongoing process, two steps forward, one step back. You don't need to be either angry at Jesse Hughes or compassionate. You can be both simultaneously without contradiction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Id agree you can be angry & compassionate. You dont need to be BFFs with one who hurt you. Be angry or Hate them if thats what your needing to feel. I wasnt saying not to. I have plenty of people who hate me. The list is long & distingushed. 

My point was the minute you go at someone hurting you who is themselves hurting, it wont solve anything & in the end can have very negative effects for both. However, the person suffering from a mental health issue processes very differently than you. Your words & actions can literally hurt them. Im just mentioning it because I dont think people realize it. Definitely do what you need to do. Id suggust staying away if some level of compassionate isn't something people can be towards them. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shannon387 said:

 

My point was the minute you go at someone hurting you who is themselves hurting, it wont solve anything & in the end can have very negative effects for both. However, the person suffering from a mental health issue processes very differently than you. Your words & actions can literally hurt them. Im just mentioning it because I dont think people realize it.

 

This is a very important point to remember. I've heard it simply put as "Hurt people hurt people."

I have been watching this thread and taking in what everyone has said. My post was not in response to any one person in particular, just my personal thoughts. I think that we can all agree that Jesse has been deeply traumatized by his experience and needs help to heal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Precisely. ;)

Mine either. To explain, I just happen to have experienced something traumatically negative where the guy (who meant a lot to me) showed 0 compassion & even incites negativity when it comes to me and it changed me. I'm speaking from that experience. I've just very recently come to terms with it and had to walk away, so to speak. Now that I've experienced that I think my compassion and empathy levels are up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not been able to see the clip or read his comments...I'm glad he issued an apology.  This story did not get the widespread coverage I feared it would. I was afraid Mr. Helms' comments would have been used by my politicians for their own political advantage.  I have not seen this happen.  My screen time is limited these days.  I might have missed some.. I am hoping for peace somehow being brokered between Emma Gonazalez and Mr. Helms.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He deleted it all and sent out an apology. The link to that is a few posts up. Most people I dont think realize who he is or what he went thru. I think if he were more well known it would have exploded more. Im glad it didnt. 

Now Ted Nugent on the other hand...yikes, dont get me started. He said some stuff to which I didnt read fully. I think that did blow up. I wish people would just stop attacking those kids, they're amazing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2018 at 9:21 PM, Shannon387 said:

Now Ted Nugent on the other hand...yikes, dont get me started. He said some stuff to which I didnt read fully. I think that did blow up. I wish people would just stop attacking those kids, they're amazing.

Please tell me you are joking.  There's no way I can't pursue this. Ted Nugent is a vile human being.  He lacks respect for women and life in general.  Did he really take this hostage?  I was just gonna go to bed, Shannon!   lol  (gotta laugh or I'm gonna spontaneously combust)   I'll have to revisit this tomorrow.  What a lovely thing to do on a Sunday...google Ted Nugent.  :angry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...