Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

writerforgod

Songs of Experience more bass driven?

I've been listening to Songs of Experience a lot lately.  I would have to say it is one of my favorite albums.

One thing I notice is that Adam's bass playing seems to be more prevalent in the songs on this CD than in most of the rest of U2's work.  Normally, I don't notice the bass very much.  Usually, I am focused on Edge's guitar playing.  I am sure if I heard songs by U2 with the bass cut out I would notice, but usually the bass is more in the background, except for maybe songs like "With or Without" you.  But Adam's bass playing seems to take a more noticeable role in Songs of Experience.

Do you think this is accurate? 

All I know is that I’m blown away by “Book of Your Heart”... the drums, bass, guitar.... not to mention the singer!....and I’m now trying to turn up the bass on every gadget that’ll play music!!... someone ??? compared Bk of Your Heart to Neil Young’s ‘Like a Hurricane.’..  which also is as mesmerizing as a drug!... you just don’t want that song to end (apparently Neil didn’t either- so he went on for more than 5 minutes!)

24 minutes ago, hillpy2 said:

All I know is that I’m blown away by “Book of Your Heart”... the drums, bass, guitar.... not to mention the singer!....and I’m now trying to turn up the bass on every gadget that’ll play music!!... someone ??? compared Bk of Your Heart to Neil Young’s ‘Like a Hurricane.’..  which also is as mesmerizing as a drug!... you just don’t want that song to end (apparently Neil didn’t either- so he went on for more than 5 minutes!)

:D

That is a good song (it's over 8 minutes long) - I wonder how many here are Neil Young fans as well. I saw him back in 2008 in Philly before the old Spectrum went to "Arena Heaven". GREAT show!

On 3/29/2018 at 4:49 PM, writerforgod said:

I've been listening to Songs of Experience a lot lately.  I would have to say it is one of my favorite albums.

One thing I notice is that Adam's bass playing seems to be more prevalent in the songs on this CD than in most of the rest of U2's work.  Normally, I don't notice the bass very much.  Usually, I am focused on Edge's guitar playing.  I am sure if I heard songs by U2 with the bass cut out I would notice, but usually the bass is more in the background, except for maybe songs like "With or Without" you.  But Adam's bass playing seems to take a more noticeable role in Songs of Experience.

Do you think this is accurate? 

Yes, I noticed, and still notice, the bass on this album. Adam kicks @ss on this album (and always). :)

This album was definitely the Adam and Larry show. "The Blackout" may be Adam's signature song. The bass just thunders on that one.

I only wish The Edge would have brought the guitar parts to go with the stellar rhythm section. I might have a more favorable opinion of the album in that case.

No. I don't think this album is anymore bass driven than anything they have ever done. They are a 4 piece - the bass is always going to be a significant thing. Listen back to the early albums - Adams bass always features heavily.