Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dmway

help for Humboldt

Hi.

I normally wouldn't post such a thing here (and, mods, if such a post is against board rules, please feel free to remove it and accept my apology in advance), but this was such a devastating event that I felt compelled to at least bring it to people's attention.

Hockey in Canada is in the country's very life-blood, like American football is in the US, soccer/football in England (and most of the rest of the world). Families regularly send their children away from home to give them the opportunity to live their dream to someday become a professional hockey player or, failing that, get as far as they can in their development as a player. This could be just to play in the minor leagues for a while, to hopefully win a scholarship to play hockey at a Canadian or American university, or perhaps to make it all the way to the NHL.

In any case, there was a tragic bus accident in Saskatchewan that killed the majority of a junior hockey team, including the coach. Not only is this a tragedy for Humboldt, but also for every family who sent their children to Humboldt - in fact, it's not an exaggeration to say that it is a national tragedy for Canada. Here is an account in case this is news to you: https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/death-toll-rises-to-15-in-saskatchewan-bus-crash-1.3875403

I am not Canadian, but this tragedy is one that crosses boundaries. I am a hockey fan myself, but I would be just as affected if a different sport were involved - or no sport at all. In any case, the team, the community and, most of all, the families are going to need funds to help them get through this most horrifying circumstance. If you would like to help, there is a GoFundMe page set up for them here:

https://www.gofundme.com/funds-for-humboldt-broncos

10 hours ago, dmway said:

Hi.

I normally wouldn't post such a thing here (and, mods, if such a post is against board rules, please feel free to remove it and accept my apology in advance), but this was such a devastating event that I felt compelled to at least bring it to people's attention.

Hockey in Canada is in the country's very life-blood, like American football is in the US, soccer/football in England (and most of the rest of the world). Families regularly send their children away from home to give them the opportunity to live their dream to someday become a professional hockey player or, failing that, get as far as they can in their development as a player. This could be just to play in the minor leagues for a while, to hopefully win a scholarship to play hockey at a Canadian or American university, or perhaps to make it all the way to the NHL.

In any case, there was a tragic bus accident in Saskatchewan that killed the majority of a junior hockey team, including the coach. Not only is this a tragedy for Humboldt, but also for every family who sent their children to Humboldt - in fact, it's not an exaggeration to say that it is a national tragedy for Canada. Here is an account in case this is news to you: https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/death-toll-rises-to-15-in-saskatchewan-bus-crash-1.3875403

I am not Canadian, but this tragedy is one that crosses boundaries. I am a hockey fan myself, but I would be just as affected if a different sport were involved - or no sport at all. In any case, the team, the community and, most of all, the families are going to need funds to help them get through this most horrifying circumstance. If you would like to help, there is a GoFundMe page set up for them here:

https://www.gofundme.com/funds-for-humboldt-broncos

Update from the person who started the page:

"There are no words that could express the incredible support the hockey community has seen here. Almost 60,000 people from almost 60 countries around the world have heard our story and were moved to help. Thank you to everyone for your kindness and prayers, your donations, and for sharing this GoFundMe far and wide. More updates to come."