bonobabypussycat

What song can you live without ever hearing live again by the band?

I know...I know...but, there must be a song that you think "I don't enjoy this" or you are sick of hearing the band perform live...is there a track you could live without hearing again?

With this current tour coming up it will be my 8th tour in a row I have been to...and I gotta say...if I never hear Bullet again I wouldn't mind...

I never really connected with it I guess...and I have seen it in various guises...the "lalalalalalahhhh america!" version on Popmart...through the Mark Chapman version during Elevation right to the latest versions with Bono on either side of the barricade during SOI and JT30

But, I do think it is time to retire the song...

...and while we're at it...maybe Mysterious Ways too?

So many tracks could take their place that never get a look in...like Yahweh or Walk On or So Cruel...

I can't be the only one...what's your (possibly) unpopular opinion for a live track that needs retiring?!

Do tell... !!

• Brilliant 2

Hmm...

is it complete blasphemy to say...Pride?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, ramsatw said:

Hmm...

Nope. I second the motion to retire Pride. Older fans have heard it a bunch and for newer fans it's a relic of pre-JT U2. Having played it every gig since 1984 surly the band themselves are going through the motions at this point.

• Like 2

Beautiful Day

The good thing about opening 360 with it was it got it out the way early and anything after it was almost guaranteed to be better.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Brilliant 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ramsatw said:

Hmm...

I agree but only because they seem to be performing it out of duty. On the I&E special Bono looked utterly bored singing it. I'd rather see them do a random song with enthusiasm than a hit on autopilot.

Edited by Grande 3:16

Elevation could definitely do with a break. Pride and SBS also after 2015 and 2017 tours.

• Upvote 2
  • Brilliant 1

Pride and One both need a break, they are not the hard hitting anthems they used to be, as said above you get the feeling the band are a bit fed up playing them too and are just going through the motions.

• Like 1

One, Beautiful Day, With or Without you

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, With or Without You, Pride

I didn't hear One in 2015, so I don't mind if it stays around.  It would be nice, though, to hear something different.

On 4/10/2018 at 5:39 PM, bonobabypussycat said:

With this current tour coming up it will be my 8th tour in a row I have been to...and I gotta say...if I never hear Bullet again I wouldn't mind...

I'm ok with Bullet, love the bass/drum groove played loud.

But I could really do without the extended rant Bono has stuck into it. On the i+e tour the "young man on the other side of the barrier," speal actually made me cringe. The JT30 version was much better as he kept faithful to the album version more or less.

I'd be content if this tour focused on SOI and SOE with maybe a few Rattle & Hum songs done in the encore.

On 4/12/2018 at 5:23 PM, doctornickriviera said:

Best live bullet is the zoo tv version imho

I think anything from Zoo Tv is the best version especailly Running To Stand Still 

• Like 2

I'd be okay if they never played the big 2 from ATYCLB and Vertigo.  Theres so many more songs with great substance that their REAL fanbase would appreciate more IMO.  They treat those three like its WTSHNN....

On 4/11/2018 at 4:00 AM, spongebob said:

Pride and One both need a break, they are not the hard hitting anthems they used to be, as said above you get the feeling the band are a bit fed up playing them too and are just going through the motions.

Pride was amazing this past tour... But I do agree.  I truly believe ONE is right up their with the best songs EVER written but it does seem to have lost the luster live since the 90s.  Also I thought that Ultraviolet was the best song for 360 but it didn't have the same luster this past year live.  Hopefully they'll be pulling out some hidden gems from AB this tour.

I could do without One I suppose, but I will never, ever get tired of Beautiful Day or Elevation.

And Bad is my all-time favorite (JT Tour was awesome!). I hope they don’t cut it out this tour.

I can live without the ones they have made staples:  the Joshua Tree hits (which probably won't get played this time around), Sunday, One, Pride, Beautiful Day, Vertigo.  "Bad" needs a rest too.  But I know that many "casual" U2 fans only know the big hits, so I guess they have to include them. Also "I Will Follow" should be substituted with a different old song.  I never cared that much for "Desire" either.  On the other hand, I never would get tired of "New Year's Day".

Beautiful Day, Vertigo, Elevation, COBL

• Like 1
  • Brilliant 1

On 4/11/2018 at 7:58 AM, Grande 3:16 said:

Beautiful Day

The good thing about opening 360 with it was it got it out the way early and anything after it was almost guaranteed to be better.

Beautiful Day for me too .....

• Upvote 1

I can think of a bunch but Mysterious Ways and One would top my list for sure.. I could live without most of the ones named above but do enjoy the stadium crowds during Elevation and a couple others; they can skip most of what they did last tour and I'd be happy 

43 minutes ago, sm2112 said:

they can skip most of what they did last tour and I'd be happy 

That's always my big wish list item for any tour - I want it to be different from the previous tour.  With U2, when they have a new record, they usually play about 8 songs from the new album, and then about a dozen or so older songs.  I love that they're one of the few major bands left that will perform a substantial amount of new material when they tour.  It gets very disheartening to have a favorite band put out a new record, go to see them live, and then only hear 1 or 2 new songs.  I love that U2 is committed to their new material and I don't ever want that to change.

So with all of that in mind, I just want to see the older stuff rotated.  Just to pick one example, Sunday Bloody Sunday was played on every single night (or almost every single night) of the 2001, 2005-2006, 2009-2011, 2015 and 2017 tours.  Why not give it a rest in 2018?  U2 played Even Better Than The Real Thing on every night of the 1992-1993 and 1997-1998 tours; it's great that it got a rest for 2001, 2005-2006, and 2009-2010, which made its reemergence in 2011 exciting.  But now that it's been played on every night of the 2015 tour, I hope it gets a rest in 2018.

U2 have so many wonderful older songs that are also big hit singles or massively popular album cuts that just don't get played very often.  They could easily drop a song like Mysterious Ways on this tour, but still replace it with any number of songs which are just as well known, but aren't heard as much.  There aren't many bands in that position.

• Like 2
  • Brilliant 1

12 minutes ago, vertigojds said:

That's always my big wish list item for any tour - I want it to be different from the previous tour.  With U2, when they have a new record, they usually play about 8 songs from the new album, and then about a dozen or so older songs.  I love that they're one of the few major bands left that will perform a substantial amount of new material when they tour.  It gets very disheartening to have a favorite band put out a new record, go to see them live, and then only hear 1 or 2 new songs.  I love that U2 is committed to their new material and I don't ever want that to change.

So with all of that in mind, I just want to see the older stuff rotated.  Just to pick one example, Sunday Bloody Sunday was played on every single night (or almost every single night) of the 2001, 2005-2006, 2009-2011, 2015 and 2017 tours.  Why not give it a rest in 2018?  U2 played Even Better Than The Real Thing on every night of the 1992-1993 and 1997-1998 tours; it's great that it got a rest for 2001, 2005-2006, and 2009-2010, which made its reemergence in 2011 exciting.  But now that it's been played on every night of the 2015 tour, I hope it gets a rest in 2018.

U2 have so many wonderful older songs that are also big hit singles or massively popular album cuts that just don't get played very often.  They could easily drop a song like Mysterious Ways on this tour, but still replace it with any number of songs which are just as well known, but aren't heard as much.  There aren't many bands in that position.

I totally agree but U2 along with some of my other favorites and most acts is they feel the HAVE TO play those "Hits" for the fans that are coming to see those songs.

Now as a big music fan this annoys me because like yourself and many commenting here, we think the majority of tickets purchasers are like us and want to hear the variety but they, and most bands, are playing for the masses and the people who will pay $700+ for a pair of tickets to hear with or without you and sunday bloody sunday. The music business is a business and they want to make sure those people are happy because people like you and I are going to go see them anyway, those people would stop if next time they went they didn't play all these massive hits they have come to expect.  

• Like 2