bonobabypussycat

What song can you live without ever hearing live again by the band?

That's true, but what I'm saying is - U2 has so many big giant hits, that they could not play one hit, and simply replace it with a different hit, and a mass audience would still be happy.

U2 didn't play With Or Without You regularly during the third leg of the 2001 Elevation tour, or the first two legs of the 2005 Vertigo tour.  Those shows were still sellouts and still some of the most critically and commercially successful U2 shows of all time. 

I don't think anyone's saying "don't play any hits" - it's more "You have more big hits than you can play in a single night anyway, so how about playing some different big hits this time?"

• Like 1

17 hours ago, vertigojds said:

That's always my big wish list item for any tour - I want it to be different from the previous tour.  With U2, when they have a new record, they usually play about 8 songs from the new album,

While I like the new album I'd be sad if they took up 8 slots from it for the show.  So much better stuff to play in their massive catalog.   

I, too, like others here, would be fine without Pride and One, even though they are fantastic songs.  I'd be fine with dropping Beautiful Day, too.  But like the previous poster pointed out, most folks in the arena are seeing one U2 show on a tour and they want the hits, and the crowd gets excited for the hits, so I get why they play them. And for the record I could NEVER get tired of SBS!  If they are going to play American Soul this tour, I hope they drop Bullet.  (Of course at the end of the day I'll be thrilled no matter what they play!)

• Like 1

I do get that they can't drop all the warhorses because there are new and casual fans who want to hear the hits. That said, I've seen other acts as a casual fan and was disappointed not to hear certain hits, but I also realize that if they're touring behind a new album there's no way they're going to play all the stuff I know. I'm just happy to hear at least some songs I love, probably a few I didn't even realize I knew, and definitely a bunch I haven't heard but might be pleasantly surprised by (or not sometimes).

All that being said, I would love to go an entire tour without Pride, unless there is a special occasion for it like MLK Day, passing of gay marriage, or similar occasion where it totally fits. WOWY is one I'd be happy to never hear again, unless it includes the "shine like stars" coda. I've been pig sick of that song since 1987. Beautiful Day is nearing retirement for me, and it could use a break for at least one tour.

Other songs that could use a rest for me are Still Haven't Found, I Will Follow (I know! But switch it up with Gloria, Electric Co, or bring back Two Hearts, maybe even A Celebration). Even Streets is one I probably wouldn't miss if they really shook up the set list, though the energy still gets me

Posted (edited)

I say this with the caveat that I wasn't at the show last night, and that shows have the potential to play very differently in person than they read on paper.

But with that said... the opening night setlist of the 2018 tour featured a total of 13 songs that I had heard on the 2015 tour.  I was genuinely hoping for more variety, and more new songs.  Which is not to say that it's a bad show or anything, but I'm surprised that it's so very similar to the I&E version of the tour.

Edited by vertigojds

Tough debate on what to scrap, all I want to hear is Heartland........

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I agree with the people who say they use need to mix it up every time they go out. Give some songs a rest, let us miss them, and then bring them back refreshed / revitalized. 

However, there are a handful of songs that have either never done it for me or that I'm just tired of:

• Still Haven't Found (this is among my least favorite U2 hits, weird I know)
  • Elevation
  • Stuck in a Moment
  • Sweetest Thing (not really played that much so it's not a major problem)

Honestly that's all I'm coming up with, though. I get people who are tired of Mysterious Ways / Real Thing / One, but I never get tired of anything from Achtung Baby. With or Without You is great when they play it properly but I feel like they didn't do that until they went back to the drawing board for the JT2017 tour and played it like they did back in 1987. 

Like many others, I'd be fine with them dropping stuff like Beautiful Day, Vertigo, Pride, etc. and replace those with other songs from the era that get played less often. 

Edited by nti3
  • Like 1

Beautiful Day

Elevation

Vertigo

Sweetest Thing

One is a great song, but I wouldn't miss hearing it live at this point.

I really wish they’d drop Pride already. Man does that song need a rest.

On 4/16/2018 at 6:08 PM, apis38 said:

One, Pride, COBL, Elevation

And Beautiful Day, WOWY.

Some are overplayed (One, Pride, WOWY), some just aren't played very well any more (Elevation, Beautiful Day) so they all lose the effect they used to have. I wouldn't mind they were interchanged with other songs during shows. So they're more rarer now.... 

A little more rotation would be spiffing. 

I'm overjoyed to hear ABOY is back, for example. But then again, I'd prefer they rotate Red Flag / Gloria instead of NYD ; NYD has been played on almost every tour ever, and it should have a break. Swap out Elevation / COBL for other songs. The problem is U2 have 'too many' hits, if you can have such a thing. 

Before this last show in Atlanta, I would said Pride. I also wouldn't have believed that I wouldn't miss Streets. But here we are. (That does not mean, however, that I never want to hear Streets again!)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GeorgiaGirl said:

Before this last show in Atlanta, I would said Pride. I also wouldn't have believed that I wouldn't miss Streets. But here we are. (That does not mean, however, that I never want to hear Streets again!)

Felt the exact same. It’s crazy, isn’t it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mich40 said:

Felt the exact same. It’s crazy, isn’t it?

It is! Five days later and I still haven't come down from the high if Monday night's show!

• Like 1

Just now, GeorgiaGirl said:

It is! Five days later and I still haven't come down from the high if Monday night's show!

Me neither!

• Like 1

"Where the Streets Have No Name" and "Pride".

On 4/12/2018 at 2:23 PM, doctornickriviera said:

Best live bullet is the zoo tv version imho

Best live "Bullet" I'd have to say was the PopMart performance. Until the band played it at the Salesforce gig and called out Donald Trump. That is the heaviest I've ever heard it.

I Will Follow, New Year's Day, Pride, WOWY, Bullet, One (unless the perform it like the used to, ex. ZOO TV), Beautiful Day, Cedarwood Road

I want to put Elevation in there, but that song really gets the crowd--and me--going.  Same with Vertigo.

Taking into consideration that their next tour will (probably) be less SOE & SOI heavy, I'd like to see some deeper cuts. I'm sure this is where many of us will diverge. I'd love to see:

Angel of Harlem

Love Rescue Me (my favorite on that album)

So Cruel

Wild Horses

Pride

Also never liked their acoustic stuff.  I can't think of anything they've done acoustically that was better than the full version.

Posted (edited)

I keep loving all the old U2 songs BUT ONLY if they perform them in a new way.

Hence I do love Sunday Bloody Sunday the way they perform it now. But Pride still sounds the same as back in the eighties. BUT if U2 can perform old songs with lots of energy and soul then I will still even like to hear Pride again. I heard Pride being played in Italy and Mexico at the Joshua Tree tour and the U2 fans went beserk with energetic crowd singing. I love that. I LOVE THAT. Therefore my bottomline for which songs to play is: ANY U2 song that is new or newly interpreted OR played with that much energy and spirit it will lift up everybody skyhigh...

Achtung Baby is probably the only album  of which I feel seperate songs feel like orphans when played live, "One' being the exception to this rule. I love that Achtung Baby album, second best or the best of all U2's work in my opinion. But for this tour I would like to suggest to skip all the Achtung Baby songs. They feel out of place for me personally. Hopefully U2 will consider a full tribute tour for the Achtung Baby album, like they did with the Joshua Tree.  The U2 manager thinks it's a great idea...

Edited by bettydalton

I've heard Beautiful Day in every single show I attended to (after they wrote it, off course).It'not that I don't like the song (not among my favourite to be true), but I do feel like the band is bored to play it... so why don't they give it a rest?

One big problem is when show become routine, and that's why I was delighted to hear Party Girl in Milan 2009, or Mercy and North Star in Munich 2010, One Tree Hill in Chicago 2011 and off course Acrobat and Staring at the Sun in Boston a few nights ago. Priceless!

You can feel much more energy in those songs, that's a shame that they keep on with stuff that's sounds dusty and with authomatisms... I understand the show machine is a little hard to modify but ehm.. why not trying?

• Like 1