Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

doctornickriviera

What is Donald Trump Smoking.

Today Donald Trump Tweeted this..  

‘Russia vows to shoot down any and all missiles fired at Syria. Get ready Russia,  because they will be coming, nice and new and “smart!” You shouldn’t be partners with a Gas Killing Animal who kills his people and enjoys it!’

whilst I abhor what is happening in Syria, I don’t think that threatening a nuclear superpower with an equally unhinged leader is a particularly wise move. I also don’t think that any military intervention the West has attempted in the Middle East in the last 30 years ago has helped a lot if not made things worse

now I’ve quite enjoyed living in the last 30 years of superpowers not waving their penises at each other saying that my weapon is bigger/stronger  than yours with the threat of Armageddon hanging over us.

We really seem to be moving back to a Cold War period or worse. 

If this is making America great again then I think it’s deluded. 

Surely someone in The whitehouse should be checking/moderating his twitter account before he makes these posts.

mad mad mad.

Don't believe the hype Doctor Nick. None of this is real. Remember last year when the panic was that N. Korea had an intercontinental nuke? Remember during the Bush years when they would turn up the heat on the fear with their yellow, orange red alert warnings and nothing would happen?

Be kind to yourself. Stop watching the news and love your neighbour.

Nope I dont remember cos none of that made significant news in the UK. Not sure where you are based but I guess it is Cork or Las Vegas?.

What I do know is that I have never known a US president to openly threaten a Russian president through the media in this way. 

Maybe I am overreacting , I just find war mongering rhetoric offensive.

16 minutes ago, doctornickriviera said:

Nope I dont remember cos none of that made significant news in the UK. Not sure where you are based but I guess it is Cork or Las Vegas?.

What I do know is that I have never known a US president to openly threaten a Russian president through the media in this way. 

Maybe I am overreacting , I just find war mongering rhetoric offensive.

This is classic "wag the dog", i.e., when things aren't going well in some part of your administration, just crank out the war rhetoric as a distraction.

Trump's personal lawyer had his office, home, and hotel room (apparently his home is being renovated) raided just two days ago by the FBI with search warrants. This has him/them quite nervous - his personal lawyer would have just about all the information where Trump is legally vulnerable.

Now, that doesn't mean that Trump won't start shooting missiles into Syria - he has done so before. But, this won't turn into a proxy war with Russia. He is just trying to take away attention from his very real legal and ethical difficulties - difficulties that have just gotten much, much worse.

...and the dog has been wagged...

How long to sing this song...sigh... :mellow:

To be honest, if Donald Trump and Theresa May both smoked something they'd probably calm down massively. 

Don't even know what to say in response to the boneheaded decision by them to bypass parliament and congress and jump straight to launching missiles and dropping bombs.

5 hours ago, peterferris8 said:

To be honest, if Donald Trump and Theresa May both smoked something they'd probably calm down massively. 

Don't even know what to say in response to the boneheaded decision by them to bypass parliament and congress and jump straight to launching missiles and dropping bombs.

In this particular circumstance, I feel sorry for Theresa May in the same way I felt sorry for Tony Blair when George W. Bush was president. US and UK military actions are almost always joined at the hip - so, if the US has a trigger-happy president, you're going to end up with a hawkish-looking (and acting) PM.

France joined in the shooting as well - that also surprised me.

In my life, I think the only two times the US and UK weren't side-by-side in fighting were Vietnam (where the UK very wisely stayed out beyond an advisory capacity) and the Falklands War (where the US stayed out because two US allies were fighting one another).

I think this round of missiles will be the end of it - at least I sincerely hope so.

19 hours ago, dmway said:

In this particular circumstance, I feel sorry for Theresa May in the same way I felt sorry for Tony Blair when George W. Bush was president. US and UK military actions are almost always joined at the hip - so, if the US has a trigger-happy president, you're going to end up with a hawkish-looking (and acting) PM.

France joined in the shooting as well - that also surprised me.

In my life, I think the only two times the US and UK weren't side-by-side in fighting were Vietnam (where the UK very wisely stayed out beyond an advisory capacity) and the Falklands War (where the US stayed out because two US allies were fighting one another).

I think this round of missiles will be the end of it - at least I sincerely hope so.

I don't feel sympathy for Theresa May at all. She had a choice to be rational and opt to take a different path. At least Blair and Cameron asked parliament for permission before attempting to start a war - May deliberately timed the missile strikes so she could avoid having to seek parliamentary approval. With Blair/Bush and May/Trump you've got a right-wing prime minister cowtowing to the whims of a right-wing president. This wouldn't have happened if Corbyn was PM - someone who's campaigned against war and injustice all his life, and who voted against his own party on Iraq while they were in government. The majority of British people are not in favour of this action, and this is a catastrophic failure to learn from the lessons of Iraq and Afghanistan. 

And of course, we don't know how Russia will react.

4 hours ago, peterferris8 said:

I don't feel sympathy for Theresa May at all. She had a choice to be rational and opt to take a different path. At least Blair and Cameron asked parliament for permission before attempting to start a war - May deliberately timed the missile strikes so she could avoid having to seek parliamentary approval. With Blair/Bush and May/Trump you've got a right-wing prime minister cowtowing to the whims of a right-wing president. This wouldn't have happened if Corbyn was PM - someone who's campaigned against war and injustice all his life, and who voted against his own party on Iraq while they were in government. The majority of British people are not in favour of this action, and this is a catastrophic failure to learn from the lessons of Iraq and Afghanistan. 

And of course, we don't know how Russia will react.

Oh, I am absolutely no fan of May - for example, how she could possibly want to form a government with the DUP is beyond imagining (although that snap election was a wonderful example of "instant karma", as John Lennon might put it). I lived in the UK during the Cameron years and I didn't like May even as Home Secretary. I was just acknowledging that for better or worse (mostly worse), the US and UK perform almost all military actions together. I was a big fan of Corbyn while I was living there. I hope people of conscience like him can run the government someday.

3 hours ago, Frankaz said:

Don't be surprised at that, the French have interfered in Syria since the end of WW1.

A good book on the problems of the middle east: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Line-Sand-Britain-France-struggle/dp/1847394574

Ah, I'll have to research that - thank you!