dermo

The Elephant in the room - the GA queue !

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else so here goes. 

Please U2 do something official for the GA queues for the E+I Tour.

The fan run 'queues' don't work for an awful lot of people and can be very divisive.

• Like 1

i was in a fan run Red Zone queue. it was great. everyone was respectful and everyone made it to red zone in the same order they lined up in. I have GA for a show on this tour. What problems do you forsee for the GA line up?

Not everyone wants to hang out for upwards of 24 hr in line to be at the rail just to have some yahoos who show up later shove thier way in front. It's craziness but I found out during the last time around, f the queue and just hang in the back and enjoy the music and show. The rush and push to be close to the stage ruins an otherwise amazing experience. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i certainly wont wait 24 hours. I will get there a couple of hours before and hang to the back. actually, get the rail on this tour and you miss out on the visuals. I was happy with my position on the JT2017 tour :-)

u2.jpg

42 minutes ago, nyru2 said:

i was in a fan run Red Zone queue. it was great. everyone was respectful and everyone made it to red zone in the same order they lined up in. I have GA for a show on this tour. What problems do you forsee for the GA line up?

I think it's fair to say that some people see the fan run queues as being 'cliques' that have a perception of being unfair.  Not everyone knows how to join the fan run queues or has the desire or inclination to become a  part of them but might still want to try get a place on the rail.  An official band or venue run queue, such as have been suggested here before, might eliminate any perceived unfairness and prevent potential disagreements between fans here and at the venues.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, doctornickriviera said:

I’ve lost my elephants

Might be hiding in a haystack

5 hours ago, doctornickriviera said:

I’ve lost my elephants

Did they paint their toenails red? They're probably hiding in the strawberry patch.

Back to being serious - yes, PLEASE U2 - take some control of the GA line.  Surely, you must want to see some new faces on the rail!  As many have suggested before - try something like the Springsteen model.

• Like 1
  • Brilliant 1

It's a pretty long and oval rail for this tour, so if you even show up early on the day of the show with GA, you should be all right.

On 4/17/2018 at 12:05 PM, doctornickriviera said:

I’ve lost my elephants

How often can one lose 25, I mean 26, elephants?  We had two cows get loose in Milwaukee and it made the healines for our local news.  It was even breaking news! (pathetic attempt for local ratings)  Have you no rational order in Wales?  j/k

Did someone say GA?  There is a good chance I might do GA the second night of Chicago.  The problem is nobody will go with me as they are going the first night.  "Why would you go see them two nights in a row?".  I love them but my friends are cluelessly silly.  That's how one gets old.  I say go every night possible and rock harder as the shows progress.  My point:  If I do GA by myself...are people in line cool about saving a person't spot when the bathroom is needed or some form of sustenance...like water or whatever?   I presume U2 fans are pretty cool about that.  Anyone?  I want to do GA for U2 more than I can express.  It's gotta be so awesome to be up front and feel that sound go through one's chest.

6 hours ago, Manohlive said:

How often can one lose 25, I mean 26, elephants?  We had two cows get loose in Milwaukee and it made the healines for our local news.  It was even breaking news! (pathetic attempt for local ratings)  Have you no rational order in Wales?  j/k

Did someone say GA?  There is a good chance I might do GA the second night of Chicago.  The problem is nobody will go with me as they are going the first night.  "Why would you go see them two nights in a row?".  I love them but my friends are cluelessly silly.  That's how one gets old.  I say go every night possible and rock harder as the shows progress.  My point:  If I do GA by myself...are people in line cool about saving a person't spot when the bathroom is needed or some form of sustenance...like water or whatever?   I presume U2 fans are pretty cool about that.  Anyone?  I want to do GA for U2 more than I can express.  It's gotta be so awesome to be up front and feel that sound go through one's chest.

When people ask “why would you see them multiple times/2 nights in a row”, I always respond with “why wouldn’t I?” I get a lot of comments from college football fans where I am and I always respond to them with “you go see your favorite football team over and over. U2 is my team.”

As for your GA question, yes, make friends with the people around you and they will be more than happy to give you bathroom breaks and whatnot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As long as you don't take advantage : 1 hour might be too long for a bathroom break or a bathroom break every 5 minutes might be exagerated or they might not be as welcoming if you come back with a dozen of your closest friends ;)

Luc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mich40 said:

When people ask “why would you see them multiple times/2 nights in a row”, I always respond with “why wouldn’t I?” I get a lot of comments from college football fans where I am and I always respond to them with “you go see your favorite football team over and over. U2 is my team.”

As for your GA question, yes, make friends with the people around you and they will be more than happy to give you bathroom breaks and whatnot. 

Elephant related silliness ruthlessly ignored by Mods

46 minutes ago, doctornickriviera said:

Elephant related silliness ruthlessly ignored by Mods

I know we are in the Zoo and all, but I’ll leave the elephants to everyone else. ??

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/17/2018 at 12:45 PM, dermo said:

I think it's fair to say that some people see the fan run queues as being 'cliques' that have a perception of being unfair.  Not everyone knows how to join the fan run queues or has the desire or inclination to become a  part of them but might still want to try get a place on the rail.  An official band or venue run queue, such as have been suggested here before, might eliminate any perceived unfairness and prevent potential disagreements between fans here and at the venues.

My experience from the 2015 and 2017 tours is that a select few fans manipulated the system to allow themselves prime positions in line without actually having to wait in line, going against previously announced venue rules, which put the majority of fans at a disadvantage.  Generally, the venue will set a rule saying that people are not allowed to begin lining up before a set time.

What then happens is that a select few fans decide that this rule doesn't apply to them, and start their own line, often not at the actual venue.  Then, they show up at the time the venue says the line is allowed to begin, and demand that they be counted ahead of everyone who actually showed up at the time the venue said people were supposed to show up.  These people even got violent at the Boston/Foxboro show in 2017.  They had been told by the venue that they couldn't line up the night before and that their list wouldn't be honored.  They had to be physically removed from the property.  And yet, they decided that the line would begin at a Dunkin Donuts and that they deserved to be ahead of everyone who did honor the venue rules, and created a scene in an attempt to get things their way.

These select few people will also start a list, and claim that because their name is written there, that they're actually ahead of you in line.  Now, I have absolutely no trouble with the idea of writing down the order that people arrive in, and allowing people to leave the line temporarily to use a restroom or to pick up a sandwich to bring back to the line.  I think that's just the decent thing to do.  But the "list people" will show up at the venue the night before, put their name on a list, and then go home.  Then, they'll come back in the morning, and say that since they were there for five minutes the night before, that they deserve to be in front of everyone who actually did wait overnight.

I sincerely hope that U2's management will do something to curb this behavior in 2018.  I have to say, the behavior of those select few fans in 2015 and 2017 really took away a lot of joy from something that had previously brought me so much happiness for so many different tours over so many years.

I think the Bruce Springsteen "lottery" method is a great way to combat this.  You show up between 2pm and 5pm to get a numbered wristband.  At 5pm, a random drawing is held, and the number selected is where the line will begin.  So, if 300 wristbands end up being given out, and #50 is drawn, then the person who has #50 becomes the head of the line and the line goes from #50-300, and then #1 goes in after #300, and then everyone who shows up after the wristband drawing goes after them.  It puts control of the situation in the hands of venue and band security, where it belongs, and it keeps things much more orderly.  Everyone who shows up early enough to get a wristband gets in ahead of those who don't, but it also keeps people from waiting overnight as it doesn't get you any advantage. 

The overnight queues tend to favor wealthier fans who travel from city to city and book a hotel in walking distance from the venue, while putting local fans who have to drive to the venue or have to work at a disadvantage. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1
  • Brilliant 3

Posted (edited)

My edit button doesn't seem to be working this second but I just wanted to add the following:

I'll go with whatever rule system the band and venue come up with.  I'd prefer a Springsteen-type lottery, but I don't think it's a requirement.

What I think is essential is that whatever rule is posted for all to see must be the rule that is followed.

My problem with a lot of the fan-run lists is that they go against clearly posted information, and most people won't have access to info about what the fan-run line is doing.

For example, on every show I saw in 2015 and 2017 that I had GA tickets for, I received an email in advance from Ticketmaster and/or the venue, outlining what the procedure would be for GA ticket holders.  All GA ticket holders got this email - about 2000 ticket holders for the indoor shows, and about 10,000 ticket holders for the outdoor shows.  If 10,000 people get an email saying "This is the time you can show up, this is where to go, and you can't get there earlier than X", there can't be a second set of rules for a select few that completely contradict the information that everyone else has been given.  And, if you got an email from the band, the venue, or the ticket agency, or visited the venue's website, or saw information posted on Twitter from the official source, why would you continue to look for unofficial lineup rules?  You probably wouldn't.  You'd see the rules posted and just assume that those were the rules for everyone.  As they should be.

I'll go with whatever the official rule is.  But I don't want another scenario where I follow every bit of guidance offered by the band and the venue, and then am penalized for following the rules because the rulebreakers have been let in ahead of me.

Edited by vertigojds
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Manohlive said:

Did someone say GA?  There is a good chance I might do GA the second night of Chicago.  The problem is nobody will go with me as they are going the first night.  "Why would you go see them two nights in a row?". 

I got tickets in the presale for 360 for their first Perth show for my wife and I. Then when the second night was announced I got tickets for that show for me and a mate. My wife was all like "You're already seeing them, why do you have to go twice?" My reason was that they're playing my home town and it could be the last time I get to see them. Glad I did because not only was it way better than the first night, but at this rate it looks like it could be the last time.

Edited by Grande 3:16
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, vertigojds said:

My experience from the 2015 and 2017 tours is that a select few fans manipulated the system to allow themselves prime positions in line without actually having to wait in line, going against previously announced venue rules, which put the majority of fans at a disadvantage.  Generally, the venue will set a rule saying that people are not allowed to begin lining up before a set time.

What then happens is that a select few fans decide that this rule doesn't apply to them, and start their own line, often not at the actual venue.  Then, they show up at the time the venue says the line is allowed to begin, and demand that they be counted ahead of everyone who actually showed up at the time the venue said people were supposed to show up.

There is no way I would tolerate this from anyone for anything.  The rules apply to all of us.  If this happens-why not have a fit and get security from the venue?  They are responsible for the line...not a fan or fans.  That's bullshit.  I don't care how big the other guy is or how many...there's no way I'd ever tolerate that type of behavior, nor would I idly sit by and let another fan endure it.  I would not get violent but I'd throw a fit the likes of which only U2's sound system could drown away.  That is complete and utter bullshit.  Those fans who take  a bully pulpit and deem themselves first should be last and have that be their attitude. There is no way anyone would get away with that around me.  I doubt they'd get away with it in Chicago in the first place.  I'm absolutely disgusted to read what you wrote and think of it happening.  Wow.  I'm apalled.

I don't think U2 has any say in how the GA lines are run, at least in America.  The venues decide the rules according to each city's ordinances.  The venues set the times and enforce the rules-in conunction with the city council.  For anyone going to Chicago and unaware-The United Center is an awesome venue.  (So is Soldier Field)   I seriously doubt any presupposed queues would be respected.  If so, I'd demand security take charge and put those who consider themselves 'elite' back in their place...behind all those who got there first. Didn't anyone object and get security?  It angers me to think of this happening. That is so not U2.  

Queue2

^1st world problems.

whe I saw them in i&e I got there an hour or so before the gates opened and got right against the catwalk. You are never that far away in an arena

Posted (edited)

Security primed and in a ninja like state of awareness at the 02 London in 2015. That’s the stage right behind

C73E76EB-1ED1-411C-8DE2-2DDB520FB622.jpeg

Edited by doctornickriviera

No idea what this little guy is doing down there. Maybe he’s a genuine Irish u2 security leprechaun.

3247BCC5-AFE7-4697-9808-9565ED28BEEB.jpeg

• Haha 3