dermo

The Elephant in the room - the GA queue !

That whole scene just sounds really stressful.

Happy to have seats for our shows. We'll go out to dinner, have 2 or 7 drinks, walk over to the venue. Easy Peasy.

I think the ‘need ‘ to be right at the front at multiple gigs is a bit sad! I’ve seen U2 up front at row z in a stadium , on the pitch about halfway and never felt I have to be on the rail.

It does sound stressful.  Bowing to these people and allowing them to get away with it is only going to permit the whole situation to get worse.  First people cannot get GAs in the presale.  Now  some of those who were lucky enough to get GAs and fortunate enough to have the health to do GA think they can appoint themselves first in line?  I guess I'm the sort that jumps in and fights this type of crap because there's no way I'd stand for it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I’m starting the GA queue for Manchester and London right here right now.... only 5 months to wait in line!

i’m No 1 , now get in line y’all!??

Edited by doctornickriviera
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, doctornickriviera said:

I’m starting the GA queue for Manchester and London right here right now.... only 5 months to wait in line!

I shall send you a pink sharpie to put #1 on your hand and have it shipped express.

arrest for scalping is understandable. arrest for standing in the vicinity of a venue? whats the offense?  

42 minutes ago, doctornickriviera said:

I think the ‘need ‘ to be right at the front at multiple gigs is a bit sad! I’ve seen U2 up front at row z in a stadium , on the pitch about halfway and never felt I have to be on the rail.

I feel the same way.  It's half of why I'm so flabergasted by all of this.  If one is on the rail how can one see the screen without needing a neck brace for the month after the show?  The sound is much better a bit away from the stage.  Why the need to be on the rail?  I'm not criticizing it.  It's a legit question I don't understand.  I've been on the rail for small gigs and moved back because the sound is much better away from the rail.  I presume the need to get in first for GA is to be on the rail.

Yep. Maybe it’s the desire that bono may haul them onto the stage mid show. 

However even at my prime I think Bono may have chosen the Bella dona a few rows back rather than the white mail elephant on the rail. His loss because I move in mysterious ways and the short Irish fella is missing out!

• Like 1

Also most tours I go to 2 shows one with my wife and one solo.

usually watch further back with the missus and get in the pits on my own. They are two equally wonderful yet totally different perspectives on the show.

I just find it disheartening that this has been an issue for several tours in a row and that the band doesn't appear to be lifting a finger or doing a single thing to assist.

The band was clearly bothered by this behavior in 2001 - to the point that they made sure to bypass the list participants on the show that was being filmed for the Elevation DVD.  They were so concerned that they added a random selection for ellipsis entry on the 2005 indoor Vertigo shows.  But since then, nothing.

I understand that hiring someone to run the GA line, as Springsteen did, ultimately adds to the tour budget.  But, on the flip side of that, prices are at an all-time high.  Surely there's enough extra money from the price increases from 2015 to 2018 to accommodate one extra person on the tour staff?

The venues told me that they are not responsible for the GA line.  They send people for security but they are not responsible for them.  I asked one person then who is responsible and she replied that it was a very good question and she didn't really know but it probably fell on the promoter which in this case is once again Live Nation.  I have no inside knowledge of how this happens.  I ask a lot of questions and this is the only info  I was able to discern.  I remember Chicago being very strict about GA lineup times.  I doubt they will arrest you for trying to line up early but I remember that they would not permit anyone to line up early for any major shows.  I could be wrong but I think they stuck to it.  I knew nothing of a preordained list until recently.  

I made a bunch of posts in here which were critical of people jumping in front of others for the GA line. I stand by my opinion that whomever obeys the rules and gets there first should get in first.  I said something I regret.  It bothered me all night long.  I called the group who is writing numbers on their hands/wrists, 'preordained sharpies'.  It was wrong for me to do that.  I despise my current president because he labels whomever he opposes and calls them names.  Little Rocket Man is the one that comes to mind. It still pissses me off he called Rosie O' Donnell ugly before he was not president. I don't like bully pulpits.  I should not have called anyone a sharpie.  I'm sorry I did.  I was angry at the thought of others having their rights supreceded by people who think they should be first. That does not mean I know those people.  It does not mean I have all the facts.  All it means is I lost my temper and, much to my horror, realized that I did exactly what I completely despise my government for doing.  I don't know how to address the magic marker numbered GA folks.  I don't like what you are doing, however; I'm sorry for attacking you by nicknaming you sharpies.   I hope everyone can enjoy the show and gets a really good spot on the floor.

• Like 1

I got to the show a little less than two hours before the doors opened last night.  We made it down to the floor and were only 5-6 feet from the stage on Adam's side.  The guy with #1 sharpied on his hand was just a few feet in front of me. 

I don't think it would have been worth the effort to arrive any earlier, especially days earlier, just to be a couple of feet closer to the stage.

• Brilliant 1

On 5/2/2018 at 11:33 AM, doctornickriviera said:

Also most tours I go to 2 shows one with my wife and one solo.

usually watch further back with the missus and get in the pits on my own. They are two equally wonderful yet totally different perspectives on the show.

I go to one show alone as well.  At first, it was not by choice.  I could not get people to go with me numerous nights.  For IE, I went alone the first night and it was one of the best concert experiences I've ever had.  To see them live and it just be me was surprisingly pleasant (for one show). I understand what you mean.  It's a very different perspective when it's just me.

On 5/2/2018 at 5:14 PM, doctornickriviera said:

Can you put me down as no 2? ?

Posted (edited)

Wow, this is quite the eye-opening thread. I haven't gone to see U2 in general admission since 2009 at Foxboro. As I've gotten a little older, I've decided that most of the time it's just not worth it so generally I try and find decent seats instead so I don't have to worry about any of this. That said, I did GA for several Elevation and Vertigo shows and luckily didn't encounter any of this nonsense. Guess things have changed. 

Because tickets in decent seats have become so expensive, I decided to get a pair of GA tickets for Philly this time out. Had considered going earlier, but I don't think I'm up for any of this nonsense. I'm fine not being super close -- having a good few of the stage show is enough for me. I got to ride the rail in front of Edge twice in 2001... basically the best view I've ever had for a concert for any band, let alone my favorite. After that, I'm fine just being in the building most of the time :)

Also - hello fellow fans. Been a fan club member since the U2.com subs started back in 2005 but I've never ventured into the forums. Y'all see like a good time. 

Edited by nti3

22 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I made a bunch of posts in here which were critical of people jumping in front of others for the GA line. I stand by my opinion that whomever obeys the rules and gets there first should get in first.  I said something I regret.  It bothered me all night long.  I called the group who is writing numbers on their hands/wrists, 'preordained sharpies'.  It was wrong for me to do that.  I despise my current president because he labels whomever he opposes and calls them names.  Little Rocket Man is the one that comes to mind. It still pissses me off he called Rosie O' Donnell ugly before he was not president. I don't like bully pulpits.  I should not have called anyone a sharpie.  I'm sorry I did.  I was angry at the thought of others having their rights supreceded by people who think they should be first. That does not mean I know those people.  It does not mean I have all the facts.  All it means is I lost my temper and, much to my horror, realized that I did exactly what I completely despise my government for doing.  I don't know how to address the magic marker numbered GA folks.  I don't like what you are doing, however; I'm sorry for attacking you by nicknaming you sharpies.   I hope everyone can enjoy the show and gets a really good spot on the floor.

I think everyone will forgive you :).  It should be kept in mind that many or probably most of the people in the "sharpie" line would be more than willing to get to the venue a day or two ahead of time and wait in line at the venue until doors open.  It used to be possible to do that, but now venues prohibit that (understandably).  The Tulsa line started way early because there was no show before it.  Most shows it is only two days at most.  I don't think it can be argued that it would be unfair for people who are AT the venue for a day or two to be at the front of the line.  While it does favor those with more time and/or money than most of us (myself included), I don't think the system is entirely unfair.  Even though only a couple of check-ins a day are typically required, most of those people are in the near vicinity most of the time and really are not doing much of anything other than waiting for the show.  Those who are willing to do the time should be able to be at the front. I believe that anyone who really wants to be at the front probably can find a way to make it happen at least once.  It really only requires getting there the afternoon before, or sometimes even early the morning of.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, james busick said:

Even though only a couple of check-ins a day are typically required, most of those people are in the near vicinity most of the time and really are not doing much of anything other than waiting for the show.  Those who are willing to do the time should be able to be at the front.  

The problem is they are not waiting for 24, 48, 72 hours straight.  If that was the case, then most wouldn't have a problem with them being at the front of the line.

2 minutes ago, afg said:

The problem is they are not waiting for 24, 48, 72 hours straight.  If that was the case, then most wouldn't have a problem with them being at the front of the line.

That's exactly my point.  They would wait if they could, but it is prohibited.  The number and check-in system is as close as it can get to sitting in line.  Lots of people on the list were complaining about having to check in twice a day in Tulsa because it was too much trouble.  A bunch of them ended up being off the list because they didn't want to make the effort.  The check-ins require some effort and require being at the venue.  It is not a perfect system, but it works.  It is available to everyone and is not exclusive. It's really not much different from a line of people on the sidewalk.  But at the end of the day, even after the people in the line before early morning of the show day are in, those behind them are still very close to the front.  If those extra few feet closer mean enough to someone they can make the effort to participate in the lineup system.  If not, they can show up whenever and be happy with the spot they get.

The problem with the unofficial check-in, one of them at least, is that it often completely contradicts the instructions given out by the venue.  For indoor shows, there are about 2000 general admission tickets per show.  So, 2000 people get an email from the venue telling them that lineups begin at a certain time, and that you may not line up early.  Then, maybe a couple dozen people decide those rules aren't good enough for them, and decide to start something earlier.  It's just not right to have these two sets of rules.  If the venue sends a list of rules to everyone, specifying what the procedure will be, it's not unreasonable to expect that most people will read those emails/texts/tweets/social media posts and make their plans according to the rules.  Then, when they do that, they find themselves penalized by being behind people who didn't follow those rules. 

It's about equality of opportunity.  There's no guarantee that anyone will be in the very front when they buy their ticket, but everyone should have the same opportunity to try.  When some people break the rules and start their own system that goes against those rules, it places those who did follow the rules at a disadvantage, and that's not fair.

• Like 2

Just in case Mr. Oseary is looking for info on GA concerns, I'm reposting my thread from the Tulsa thread.

Just home from Tulsa and scanning the comments about the GA Line and the show, so I'll throw in my 2 cents worth.  For perspective, I've done GA for at least some shows for every tour starting with Elevation, with the exception of JT. I was part of the "un-numbered".  The line leaders refused to do  anymore numbering after the line moved from across the street to BOK.  I've never encountered this before, early morning, day of the show  I've always been able to get a number when I showed up in the morning.  I guess that they just couldn't be bothered - follow their rules or be screwed.  Everyone that showed up at 5 was renumbered and the last number given out was about #199 - apparently, quite a few of us didn't show up at 5.  So, at 6:30 AM,   I was about 5 people behind the last "officially numbered person -  # 199.  Not too bad.  We were supposed to self-police, and stay there except for short bathroom breaks and food, but of course, lots of people left for long periods of time, so there were large gaps in the line.  By the time the BOK staff made us put chairs away and tightened up the line around 5, it appeared that there were many more than 200 people in front of me - I saw some people with sharpies - I think some people made up their own numbers.

About 10 people behind us in the line - they got there around 8AM, there was a couple that we were concerned about.  The woman was in a wheelchair and her companion kept attending to her - we wondered why they would do GA.  Well, we found out later, when a man and his young son suddenly appeared in line that the man had paid this homeless couple to stay in line for him all day - probably about 8 hours.  Really awful what some people will do for GA.  By the time the doors opened, I had resigned myself to not getting a rail position - 12 hours wasted.  We did end up with one of the last rail positions - on the catwalk, which is a great location - you can see something of both stages and the band often stops in front of you.   But then we found out the couple next to us showed up at 5:30 pm, went in another entrance when the doors opened!  BOK Center doesn't win any kudos from me for GA line management.  

So I see Guy Oseary walking by and I called out to him.  He did stop to talk and I asked him if U2 would consider taking over the GA line.  He seemed surprised that it was an issue - obviously, he doesn't read these boards or get any feedback - so I'm sure I'm wasting my time with this post.    I mentioned some concerns and gave examples of how U2 did Vertigo with a lottery  and suggested something like the Bruce Springsteen method.  He said that he'd look into it.  I could tell that he didn't consider it to be a big issue, but then again - it's U2's opening night and he had plenty of other things on his mind.  I appreciate that he did take the time to stop. 

My beef is - as so many others have expressed - is that the current system favors fans who have plenty of time to kill - either they don't work and/or can afford to travel and stay in town for several days before a show.  They set the rules and it differs for each venue.  To be fair, I did find the "rules" on Facebook, but they weren't posted on the main U2 fan sites.  The sign in book started on Friday - 5 days before the show!  The less obsessive fan thinks that the info provided by the venue is the rule, but the venues almost always cave.   I'd just love a system that gives everyone a fair shot at the position that they want.  Or at least for the fan run lines to have consistent rules from venue to venue.

I've got 2 more shows to do - one in Red Zone and another GA.  I've had my rail experience and next time will hang back so that I can see the screen.  

• Upvote 2

I was never able to do GA until I saw Dawes at The Barrymore Theatre in Madison, WI.  That was the Winter of 2016/2017.  I've now done GA a dozen times or more for Dawes and many times for The Head and the Heart.  Those are smaller venues.  GA is awesome.  The only reason I like being on the rail is because I can watch the musicianship; right or left hand of Taylor Goldmsith or the drummers or whatever.  I usually give up my place on the rail to ladies who are shorter and cannot see over others. I am tall so I can still see.  I don't understand the need to be right on the rail unless it's the only way a person can see.  Three or four people behind is just as awesome.  For me, the sound is better as it has room to mix.  I really notice that.  

3 hours ago, peggytwoten said:

So I see Guy Oseary walking by and I called out to him.  He did stop to talk and I asked him if U2 would consider taking over the GA line.  He seemed surprised that it was an issue - obviously, he doesn't read these boards or get any feedback - so I'm sure I'm wasting my time with this post.    I mentioned some concerns and gave examples of how U2 did Vertigo with a lottery  and suggested something like the Bruce Springsteen method.  He said that he'd look into it.  I could tell that he didn't consider it to be a big issue, but then again - it's U2's opening night and he had plenty of other things on his mind.  I appreciate that he did take the time to stop. 

I was glad to read this.  I imagine it was a very busy evening with opening night or any night in a new venue as different challenges are faced.  However, at least he has been told. Thank you very much.  He could come up and say hi to me and I wouldn't know who he was.  I have no idea what he looks like.  It's nice to know one person talked to him.  Hopefully more will.  No offense to anyone but do people honestly think that Adam and Larry and Bono and The Edge said, "Let's send pizza and popsicles out to the people who skipped in front of the GA line but only to those people and not the ones who abided by the rules."?    That makes no sense.  I'm wondering if stories are being told and retold and getting more elaborate in the process.  Pizza and Popsicles?  That sounds like a song that could have been penned by The Stereophonics.  haha.

Are RZ people getting in at same time as GA so far this tour? Anybody been RZ yet?

Well after reading all this I am really hoping and PRAYING that the LA Forum does the EXACT same thing they did for the 2015 shows! Get there at the time they stated in the email, ( I'm sure that there was a list and people waiting all night long) but I got there soon after 8 in the morning, did have to write my name in the notebook and get a number, but soon afterwards they gave us the wristbands and said we were good to go. Just come back at 4pm and get in line based on your number. It was very organized and super fast. Gosh am I praying for that to happen!! If not Ugh!! Only because my friend wants to do this all day thing would I deal with this crap. ?