Sign in to follow this  
dermo

The Elephant in the room - the GA queue !

I was bummed I never was chosen to be in the circle or the heart during Elevation and Vertigo tours - I like the freedom of the current GA system in that there’s no system. 

Without waiting in lines I managed:

I+e tour I was five deep from rail all shows at most

JT anniversary shows I was on the far left rail next to Red Zone (Edge side) - at one of the Rose Bowl shows some guy in red zone with extra wristbands walked up and gave them to us so we were lucky enough to spend most of that show in RZ

e+i shows so far in both Tulsa and St  Louis - we got in line at 6 and were 1 deep from rail mid screen and e stage respectively  in St. Louis all of the waiters had already been let in so we literally walked in at 6 and grabbed our spot  

All this to say: if you want to start writing numbers on your hands now and keep track via a notebook for a future show good on you but I still managed to have dinner/drinks, arrive at 6 doors and get great spots :) Don’t stress about this people, I’m telling you. I don’t want to go back to random entry GA positions - I had the worst views for Vertigo tour, that heart just pushed everyone back. This long stage, that you can move around as the show goes, makes for great sightlines no matter where you stand. ? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Isas99 said:

Well after reading all this I am really hoping and PRAYING that the LA Forum does the EXACT same thing they did for the 2015 shows! Get there at the time they stated in the email, ( I'm sure that there was a list and people waiting all night long) but I got there soon after 8 in the morning, did have to write my name in the notebook and get a number, but soon afterwards they gave us the wristbands and said we were good to go. Just come back at 4pm and get in line based on your number. It was very organized and super fast. Gosh am I praying for that to happen!! If not Ugh!! Only because my friend wants to do this all day thing would I deal with this crap. ?

If your name was put in a notebook and you had a number put on your hand, that was the fan-run lineup.  The venues always end up endorsing the fan-run line.  It’s been that way for some time now and it’s highly unlikely that it will change on this tour.

3 hours ago, Isas99 said:

Well after reading all this I am really hoping and PRAYING that the LA Forum does the EXACT same thing they did for the 2015 shows! Get there at the time they stated in the email, ( I'm sure that there was a list and people waiting all night long) but I got there soon after 8 in the morning, did have to write my name in the notebook and get a number, but soon afterwards they gave us the wristbands and said we were good to go. Just come back at 4pm and get in line based on your number. It was very organized and super fast. Gosh am I praying for that to happen!! If not Ugh!! Only because my friend wants to do this all day thing would I deal with this crap. ?

Agree. That was smooth. I did GA the first 2 days and it was the best GA ever for me. Hopefully this time goes the same since I am bringing my 10yro kid and he would not do a 12 hr line and also we are driving from Tijuana, Mx early morning.

On 5/2/2018 at 10:28 AM, ramsatw said:

That whole scene just sounds really stressful.

Happy to have seats for our shows. We'll go out to dinner, have 2 or 7 drinks, walk over to the venue. Easy Peasy.

2 or 7, lol.

On 5/5/2018 at 6:23 PM, Isas99 said:

I agree - we had similar experiences in 2009, 2011, and 2017. The fan-run lines work fine as long as they begin at the SAME TIME as the GA rules listed by the venue. No lists from some other place where folks lined up before the official GA arrival time.

• Like 2

On 5/8/2018 at 6:41 PM, 1luvbonovox said:

Does anyone know where they will be with the notebook to put your name in, for the Forum??? Thank you

That is ALWAYS the question ....I can never find out where to go - or when ! I am GA in Copenhagen on the 29th  - so any ideas please?

I'm someone who wants to be in front, at the stage. But I don't see them multiple times every tour (I wish, but it's not possible). I love the magic of being so close. 

We are going to Amsterdam most of the times. Queue early in the morning, sometimes round noon. I love being in the queue. Relax with people who are there for the same purpose. But when you're in lineaire, you stay in line. You can go for a drink, or a small walk in the area. 

The relaxing stops when people get crazy. Everybody getting up and starts pushing. Multiple times there was panic. Because people rush, running people over etc. 

Thats a part I really don't like. And van use some more security. 

On 4/20/2018 at 1:39 AM, Manohlive said:

I don't think U2 has any say in how the GA lines are run, at least in America.  The venues decide the rules according to each city's ordinances.  The venues set the times and enforce the rules-in conunction with the city council.  For anyone going to Chicago and unaware-The United Center is an awesome venue.  (So is Soldier Field)   I seriously doubt any presupposed queues would be respected.  If so, I'd demand security take charge and put those who consider themselves 'elite' back in their place...behind all those who got there first. Didn't anyone object and get security?  It angers me to think of this happening. That is so not U2.  

I do think the band has a say. I’ve seen both U2 and Springsteen at United Center and the GA experiences were completely different. 

There will absolutely be a fan-run line for both nights in Chicago. You won’t have to camp out all night. Go find the start of the line on Night 1, put in your name and get a number. They will tell you what time to check in the next morning. Then go home or back to hotel. Has worked well for the several times that I’ve done it. This has been the process for years - we won’t change that in this thread. (I do agree Springsteen’s process is way better.)

On 5/4/2018 at 2:27 PM, peterferris8 said:

Can you put me down as no 2? ?

No it’s my queue. A sad yet lonely queue but my queue all the same!

13 hours ago, CSanderson said:

I do think the band has a say. I’ve seen both U2 and Springsteen at United Center and the GA experiences were completely different. 

There will absolutely be a fan-run line for both nights in Chicago. You won’t have to camp out all night. Go find the start of the line on Night 1, put in your name and get a number. They will tell you what time to check in the next morning. Then go home or back to hotel. Has worked well for the several times that I’ve done it. This has been the process for years - we won’t change that in this thread. (I do agree Springsteen’s process is way better.)

It will be the same at Nassau Coliseum. That show is on a Saturday, which means that most people don't have to go to work, but people have lives. I do not have the time or resources to follow them around or honestly, to spend two days dealing with GA lineups and check-ins. My daughter (who is coming with me) has a softball game that morning, so we will not get to the venue until late afternoon. We will take what we can get, but I'm 5'2" (she's 5'7") and I will be looking at the back of other people's backs. I would have gotten real seats, but the prices for those were unrealistic - I could deal with $100 GA, but not $300+ nosebleed seats.

Put me on the list of those who think Springsteen's system is far better.

2 hours ago, bgans said:

It will be the same at Nassau Coliseum. That show is on a Saturday, which means that most people don't have to go to work, but people have lives. I do not have the time or resources to follow them around or honestly, to spend two days dealing with GA lineups and check-ins. My daughter (who is coming with me) has a softball game that morning, so we will not get to the venue until late afternoon. We will take what we can get, but I'm 5'2" (she's 5'7") and I will be looking at the back of other people's backs. I would have gotten real seats, but the prices for those were unrealistic - I could deal with $100 GA, but not $300+ nosebleed seats.

Disagree that a lottery system is better. While the fan-run system is less than perfect and multi-day lineups are unfair to many people, those who are willing to do some time in line should be rewarded. In your case, softball is optional. 

5 hours ago, bgans said:

2 hours ago, james busick said:

Disagree that a lottery system is better. While the fan-run system is less than perfect and multi-day lineups are unfair to many people, those who are willing to do some time in line should be rewarded. In your case, softball is optional. 

A lottery system is better because it is run by tour management and gives all GA ticket holders a fair chance at getting to the front of the line. This would still allow the fans who police the fan-run lines and attend multiple shows to have several chances of getting a good spot in line.  Of course, everyone would still need to follow the "official" instructions for the time and place for lining up.

As others have pointed out in this post, a fan-run line  system off of the venue property is not endorsed by the band or the venue.  The venue sends out instructions to GA ticket holders when and how to line up on the day of the show. 

bgans, show up early on show day, go to the venue and tell security you followed the rules and that these off-site fan-run lines do not have more a right to the front of the line than you do.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, afg said:

A lottery system is better because it is run by tour management and gives all GA ticket holders a fair chance at getting to the front of the line. This would still allow the fans who police the fan-run lines and attend multiple shows to have several chances of getting a good spot in line.  Of course, everyone would still need to follow the "official" instructions for the time and place for lining up.

As others have pointed out in this post, a fan-run line  system off of the venue property is not endorsed by the band or the venue.  The venue sends out instructions to GA ticket holders when and how to line up on the day of the show. 

bgans, show up early on show day, go to the venue and tell security you followed the rules and that these off-site fan-run lines do not have more a right to the front of the line than you do.

The venues ALWAYS end up endorsing the fan-run line, so it comes down to join it or go to the end of it.

4 minutes ago, james busick said:

The venues ALWAYS end up endorsing the fan-run line, so it comes down to join it or go to the end of it.

Not always.  They didn't on the JT tour.  But I agree, it happens most times and that is a big part of the problem, as highlighted many times on this forum.

6 minutes ago, afg said:

Not always.  They didn't on the JT tour.  But I agree, it happens most times and that is a big part of the problem, as highlighted many times on this forum.

At the end of the day, I think the venues couldn't care less about what is fair.  They just want to do whatever is easiest for them.  When they see a line of several hundred people already formed prior to their "official" lineup time, the easiest thing for them to do is just go ahead and move that line to the official spot.

16 hours ago, afg said:

Hmmm...I'm pretty sure they did. At least, at the shows I attended in the US northeast, they did.  

On 5/16/2018 at 1:56 PM, james busick said:

At the end of the day, I think the venues couldn't care less about what is fair.  They just want to do whatever is easiest for them.  When they see a line of several hundred people already formed prior to their "official" lineup time, the easiest thing for them to do is just go ahead and move that line to the official spot

I don't want to get involved in the argument.  I emphatically stated my views.  The venues are generally not responsible for the GA line yet send security because nobody else is doing it.  Remember that the venues rent to the promoters.  The promoters set the rules, not the venues.

Well having attended the Las Vegas shows and doing GA for Saturday I still feel that fan run 'queues' are not the way GA entry should be done.  Mr Oseary indicated a willingness to engage with fans some months ago and this is one area that might benefit from such engagement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dermo said:

Well having attended the Las Vegas shows and doing GA for Saturday I still feel that fan run 'queues' are not the way GA entry should be done.  Mr Oseary indicated a willingness to engage with fans some months ago and this is one area that might benefit from such engagement.

AGREED

At SAP Center in San Jose, they gave out wristbands.  I always thought that was the best way for the GA line.  Everyone gets a wristband, they can stay at the venue or leave, and the come back a couple of hours before the doors opened.  There wasn't any argument about who got there first or situations where one guy was holding spots for 10 other people who showed up at 5:00 pm.  I've seen that before and it got a little ugly.

In San Jose, everyone was cool--no attitudes or animosity.  Event staff was professional, courteous and did a nice job marshalling people along.  We arrived at SAP at 9:00 am and there were about 200 people ahead of us.  But, we still got a spot in the rail.  By the time the doors opened, there were a few hundred people behind us. 

I've never liked the No Wristband system.  It made it so much easier for people to get into it with each other.  I remember the 360 Tour in Oakland.  This is one couple literally held 10 spots for there friends.  It generated so much frustration and tension in the line.