Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

doctornickriviera

Simple Minds Touring the US

Oh! I’ve never gotten to see them. And they are hitting two places close to me. 

23 hours ago, doctornickriviera said:

For those that are interested and recall that Simple Minds were bigger than U2 pre 1987. Still a great live band

https://www.simpleminds.com/2018/04/23/north-american-tour-announced-2018/

Thanks for the info!  I hadn't seen that yet.  I think I'll go to the San Francisco Oct. 25 show (depends on ticket price).  It's interesting how U2 kept getting bigger, reinventing themselves, releasing new albums, playing the biggest venues, whereas Simple Minds dead-ended by the early 90s, despite having been right up there at top for stadium rock in the 80s.

Yep line up changes, didn’t adapt to late 80s dance music and early 90s grunge etc, by the mid 90s they were super unfashionable.

took themselves a bit too seriously imploded late 90s

in the U.K. they’ve had a bit of a Renaissance over the last 5 years and the last 2 albums and the acoustic album are a really rather good.

If you have the chance, go see them. I saw them last year & they were brilliant ?

We saw them a couple of years ago (Ultravox were supporting) and it as a fab evening.

Simple Minds are back to their best ever form on the new album Walk Between Worlds.

They are a great live act and a dream of mine would be to see them and U2 on a double billing at the Spark Arena in Auckland.

Bono talk to Jim and make it happen please.

11 hours ago, doctornickriviera said:

Yep line up changes, didn’t adapt to late 80s dance music and early 90s grunge etc, by the mid 90s they were super unfashionable.

took themselves a bit too seriously imploded late 90s

in the U.K. they’ve had a bit of a Renaissance over the last 5 years and the last 2 albums and the acoustic album are a really rather good.

7 hours ago, adrnik said:

We saw them a couple of years ago (Ultravox were supporting) and it as a fab evening.

When I was still living in the UK, I saw them twice (including the tour w/ Ultravox) and they were indeed excellent. If you can see them, see them.

On 4/23/2018 at 12:34 PM, doctornickriviera said:

For those that are interested and recall that Simple Minds were bigger than U2 pre 1987. Still a great live band

https://www.simpleminds.com/2018/04/23/north-american-tour-announced-2018/

On 4/23/2018 at 4:41 PM, mich40 said:

Oh! I’ve never gotten to see them. And they are hitting two places close to me. 

...and they are playing three near me. My goodness, I have show or two to see in the autumn now! :)

for anyone tempted and if you haven’t seen them for a few years, here is Don’t You and New song Summer this year live!

Saw them some years ago, they were brilliant! Always wanted to hear Someone, somewhere... live, and it happened.

On 4/24/2018 at 6:49 PM, zoocat said:

Simple Minds are back to their best ever form on the new album Walk Between Worlds.

They are a great live act and a dream of mine would be to see them and U2 on a double billing at the Spark Arena in Auckland.

Bono talk to Jim and make it happen please.

My secret fantasy is that U2 opens one of their big shows with Simple Minds taking the stage to play "Alive and Kicking", totally unannounced, catching the crowd off guard, sending them into a frenzy.  Then U2 joins them for another song, before U2 takes over for the rest of the show, then bringing Jim Kerr back to sing along with Bono during the encore for another song.

Tears for Fears would be another band to bring onstage as a surprise, perhaps at the start of the encore.

These are pure fantasies of mine.  I remember having this fantasy for the first time in October 2009 at the Rose Bowl concert, when the crowd was waiting for U2 to come on stage, and I thought, what if it turned out to be Simple Minds instead?

19 minutes ago, Rich T. said:

Tears for Fears would be another band to bring onstage as a surprise, perhaps at the start of the encore.

Every so often the BBC broadcasts (or we can download) concerts for artists and bands which are live and intimate. These are real treats and we got to see Deacon Blue (a fave of mine) live and only 3 rows from the front. I think there's only 250 seats in the venue anyway.

When the concert for Tears for Fears was broadcast last year for their 'comeback' I really looked forward to it.

Sadly it wasn't very good and it seemed as if Roland's voice was shot. It was so weak and flat. It was a real shame.

Forget the No line on the Horizon Toilet Brush, this is the best Merch ever!

ladies and gentleman I give you the one the only Simple Minds Vanilla scented Candle.

this is 100% genuine and in the official store!

E95E1337-7AED-4206-93BF-7DBF132C208D.jpeg

1 hour ago, doctornickriviera said:

Forget the No line on the Horizon Toilet Brush, this is the best Merch ever!

ladies and gentleman I give you the one the only Simple Minds Vanilla scented Candle.

this is 100% genuine and in the official store!

E95E1337-7AED-4206-93BF-7DBF132C208D.jpeg

Which member of the band does it smell like? ?

6 hours ago, adrnik said:

Every so often the BBC broadcasts (or we can download) concerts for artists and bands which are live and intimate. These are real treats and we got to see Deacon Blue (a fave of mine) live and only 3 rows from the front. I think there's only 250 seats in the venue anyway.

When the concert for Tears for Fears was broadcast last year for their 'comeback' I really looked forward to it.

Sadly it wasn't very good and it seemed as if Roland's voice was shot. It was so weak and flat. It was a real shame.

Strange.  I saw them a couple of years ago, and then again last year, and was impressed with sound and vocals.

17 hours ago, Rich T. said:

Strange.  I saw them a couple of years ago, and then again last year, and was impressed with sound and vocals.

Maybe Roland had an off day? It’s possible.

The cynic in me would say that bands play completely live on the BBC format and don’t have use of auto-tune equipment etc as a number of artists use when touring.

Thirty-five bucks to see them in Chicago at a beautiful theatre.  Thirty-five bucks to see The Stereophonics in Chicago.  Thanks, Doc.  Keep exporting your music...please!   What a deal/steal.  I'm going to both.  Looking forward to them is helping ease the pain of EI having come and gone.