adrnik

What would you leave out?

Going on past tours the band normally play about 7 songs from their current album?

That means there will be some songs from SOE not used, maybe 5/6?

It is also worth noting that the band arguably leave out from set lists some of the best songs from the album too.

So, rather than say what you hope they will play from SOE how about considering what will be left out of the tour?

Here’s my suggestions:

Red Flag Day

Landlady

Summer of Love

The Showman

13 (there is a light)

I also reckon American Soul will only be played on US dates.

17 hours ago, adrnik said:

Going on past tours the band normally play about 7 songs from their current album?

That means there will be some songs from SOE not used, maybe 5/6?

It is also worth noting that the band arguably leave out from set lists some of the best songs from the album too.

So, rather than say what you hope they will play from SOE how about considering what will be left out of the tour?

Here’s my suggestions:

Red Flag Day

Landlady

Summer of Love

The Showman

13 (there is a light)

I love Red Flag Day, Summer of Love and The Showman!

I could do without:

Landlady

Lights of Home

American Soul

GOOYOW

But that’s all pretty irrelevant anyway because I’m stuck in Australia and U2 have forgotten where that is. 

2 hours ago, kastee said:

I love Red Flag Day, Summer of Love and The Showman!

I could do without:

Landlady

Lights of Home

American Soul

GOOYOW

But that’s all pretty irrelevant anyway because I’m stuck in Australia and U2 have forgotten where that is. 

I take it for granted that most bands come to o the UK and I’m only 20 mins from London but there are a couple US bands I like who don’t tour here very much and so I can understand a little your frustration.

Personally I think U2 will release some more dates for places like Australia and New Zealand and other countries a bit later this year. For past tours when they have visited they’ve done US and Europe one year and then headed ‘down under’ the next year in Jan. I hope they do for folks like yourself and that you can get tickets. All the best.

• Thanks 1

I have an easier time picking the songs I need to hear in Omaha next month...

Lights of Home

Summer of Love

Red Flag Day

The Blackout

The Showman

Love Is All We Have Left

Get Out of Your Own Way

Posted (edited)

I would leave out:

Get Out of Your Own Way

American Soul

The BlackOut

I'd Play The Rest of the album (certainly not all in one show) and I'd ALSO Play Ordinary Love and especially BOOK OF YOUR HEART !!!!

Edited by pain_18_

On 4/28/2018 at 8:14 AM, kastee said:

Perhaps it will be replaced by Little Things or Wild Horses when it hits Europe.  I saw your comment quite a while ago and it stuck in my mind.  I wonder if they are skipping Little Things in America to give it to Europe.  I could easily live with that as Europe is watching us get them first. 

Summer of Love would fit a more Eurocentric narrative, but it doesn’t have the grunt factor of American Soul.

• Sad 1

I just hope that come Europe it doesn’t revert to a greatest hits set. I’m happy to hear the New songs and some of the SOI stuff. There are songs off October I’d rather hear than the ocean. Like I threw a brick for example.

Happy for SBS cobl , ABOY elevation pride Vertigo and BD to be dropped. Walk on/kite and or sometimes you can’t make it on your own, SIAM could replace this two hearts from war, 

i’d like streets back in as the sole JT song.

IWF is overplayed , how about party girl / twilight. / a day without me./ a cat dubh

magnificent anyone? Please ? Heartland.

i imagine most of the people attendingthe third tour in in 4 years are fans who attended i&e and JT tours. 

Quite happy to see the usual staples largely dropped and the awesome but lesser played hits and album tracks played

I did not think of Magnificence.   That would be a nice addition. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kastee said:

Eurocentric narrative

Wow.  

10 hours ago, Manohlive said:

Wow.  

Summer of Love is about Escapism....Stop making it about politics....WE have ENOUGH effing politics on this album that would've been great without the political twist they added !!!!

I love that they're playing THE OCEAN...It's my fav song in the set..... !!!!!  I wish they never drop it !

3 hours ago, pain_18_ said:

I love that they're playing THE OCEAN...It's my fav song in the set..... !!!!!  I wish they never drop it !

I wish that they’d leave it at the bottom of the ocean where it belongs...... 😉

then again opinions are like arseholes... everyone has one!

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, doctornickriviera said:

I wish that they’d leave it at the bottom of the ocean where it belongs...... 😉

then again opinions are like arseholes... everyone has one!

To each their own...... Some ppl can't see good art even if it hits them in the face....

Edited by pain_18_

Posted (edited)

Yep I hate Picasso. And my opinion isn’t right and neither is yours. They are both simply equally valid personal opinions.

Edited by doctornickriviera
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, pain_18_ said:

Summer of Love is about Escapism....Stop making it about politics....WE have ENOUGH effing politics on this album that would've been great without the political twist they added !!!!

My Wow was not about politics.  It was being impressed at that person's use of words within a comment.

Posted (edited)

pain-you misunderstood me., which I addressed above. My wow was a compliment to kastee's intelligence.  

As far as the politics-you forget I live in America and, .like it or not, politics is our national agenda right now.  It's all about who is or is not going to win.  It's not about life, liberty and the pursuit of justice. U2 is in America speaking to Americans.  It's going to be political. We have people fleeing terrorism in Mexico/Central America and sleeping on the concrete, outside our border, hoping they can enter America and be safe.. My government is now telling them, via my attorney general, that if they try to enter-we will separate children from their parents. That means ripping a baby from its mother's arms and hauling it off to somewhere that mother does not know, while the child cries in fear.  It could be years before the two are reunited.  The mother may have to return to the violence she fled while the child is kept in America.  That means the two may never see each other again.  This is reality in America.  It is political.  I understand it's a lot and it's negative.  It is as it is.  I'm glad you could let it out and vent. Please understand that we are in a battle in America. It's very intense and it's getting worse by the day.  I do the same thing you did in venting.  I understand it gets to be too much.  I'm not criticizing you. 

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

pain-you misunderstood me., which I addressed above. My wow was a compliment to kastee's intelligence.  

As far as the politics-you forget I live in America and, .like it or not, politics is our national agenda right now.  It's all about who is or is not going to win.  It's not about life, liberty and the pursuit of justice. U2 is in America speaking to Americans.  It's going to be political. We have people fleeing terrorism in Mexico/Central America and sleeping on the concrete, outside our border, hoping they can enter America and be safe.. My government is now telling them, via my attorney general, that if they try to enter-we will separate children from their parents. That means ripping a baby from its mother's arms and hauling it off to somewhere that mother does not know, while the child cries in fear.  It could be years before the two are reunited.  The mother may have to return to the violence she fled while the child is kept in America.  That means the two may never see each other again.  This is reality in America.  It is political.  I understand it's a lot and it's negative.  It is as it is.  I'm glad you could let it out and vent. Please understand that we are in a battle in America. It's very intense and it's getting worse by the day.  I do the same thing you did in venting.  I understand it gets to be too much.  I'm not criticizing you. 

Great Answer !!! Respect !  What bothers me the most is the politically correctness not the actual problems you just stated !

pain-America is drowning in political correctness.  It sucks because who decides what is correct?  I can't tell you how intense it is here right now.  Every day there is another scandal or attack or something else.  What worries me is that there is a bad weather system hitting my family in Florida right now.  It may well have turned tropical and it's not even hurricane season yet. It's only the first major weather system of their rainy season.  People are relieved because their water bills have been high and it's from watering lawns that would otherwise not be green.  That water could go to people who need it to drink clean water.  Puerto Rico is still in shambles.  Friends of mine cannot get powdered milk delivered to Puerto Rico.  They paid for it out of their own pockets.  It was returned.  That says nothing of Barbuda and Dominica-both of which were destroyed.  What worries me is that they are now finding plastic bags at the bottom of the Marianas Trench. This is after finding it in the middle of Antarctica  Trump will pass.  He's already a sinking ship.  These times will fade.  What worries me is that nothing is being done for those who are most in need in our world.  Why we are not helping the Rohingya refugees when the poorest country in the world grants them what little shelter they can....that is what truly concerns me.  How can we expect help when we give none that does not serve our own agenda?  That terrifies me.  Politics shifts attention from truth and it sucks.  I agree.

To get back on topic-I would take out The Ocean and replace it with 11 O' Clock Tick Tock.  Another Zootopian suggested it in a different thread.  I thought a lot about this person's suggestion.  I listened to the radio interview one of the mods posted recently.  It was an older one but quite interesting.  It started with 11 O' Clock live and my gosh that sound.....I'd love to hear it on this tour.

For years I'm pleading to drop Pride from the shows. It's a great song, but totally overplayed. Please  replace it. It can return after a long pause. 

And I've never been a fan of Desire. 

• Like 1

Like on Pride's departure for a bit.  I do like Desire if it's being done electric. no spoilers please

i got off topic above malahide's post.  pardon me.  working on keeping it in check. .  have a great show everyone.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I agree Desire should be electric. Acoustically it becomes a lazy song that sucks the energy out of the show.

Edited by Malahide

I hadn't thought about that distinction between acoustic and electric Desire but, I agree. Acoustic Desire kind of bores me (and I say "kind of" because frankly, U2 could get out there and sing nursery rhymes and I'd be thrilled) but electric is a whole other thing.  

Electric desire please. I would prefer in my own little U2 dreamworld that they shelve the acoustic part of the concert play the whole set electric, and save it for an unplugged/ acoustic tour next year. Now I’m being greedy

Who said bono needs a rest? He hasn’t reached retirement age yet!