1 hour ago, omnivox said:

When they dropped Staring at the Sun I lost my shit. I made three predictions or things I would love to see. 1. Song from Pop 2. Macphisto 3. Hold me thrill me kiss me kill me. Acrobat was an added bonus. Needless to say that if they dropped Crumbs I would probably pass out from excitment. That is one of my all time favorite U2 songs. I hope they slide it in on another tour date so we can Youtube it.

I hope so too, Omnivox.....the band has got to read this for "feedback".....I want to believe.....but, hey....it's their artistic expression....maybe 'crumbs' doesn't fit into their story/theme they would like to t convey on the tour.

Edited by unforgettableu2

Since the love of "Crumbs" marches onward, I located the version I was lucky enough to hear in person - enjoy:

• Like 2

I listened again to Crumbs today after not listening for so long....and yes, it's so good!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dmway said:

Since the love of "Crumbs" marches onward, I located the version I was lucky enough to hear in person - enjoy:

Thanks for sharing. Aw, it pulled on my heart strings to see Bono out there playing rhythm guitar....

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JCF said:

Thanks for sharing. Aw, it pulled on my heart strings to see Bono out there playing rhythm guitar....

Yes - I love that guitar in particular too. I think it's the one that has "the goal is soul" written on it.

Either they themselves have said and/or biographers of the band have said that Bono is a frustrated guitarist, The Edge is a frustrated drummer. Larry is a frustrated singer, and Adam only wanted to play the bass. ? If they were ever to gravitate to those roles, I think we would have our pre-Boy punk-ish U2 back...?

Well, I'm glad the video was there to be found - I do feel like I hit the "U2 lottery", as it were, to see that performance in person. I don't know how often they played it live, but it wasn't a common occurrence.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Manohlive said:

Same here, u2rone.   It's one of U2's loftiest peaks for this fan.

I'll have to watch the video for Wild Horses. I haven't seen it in YEARS! I remember there is a part where Bono gets pissed and walks away. He must not have hit the note he wanted or something. Now that I think about it, I should watch a bunch of the older videos!! Well there goes my plan to get more spring cleaning done. I would MUCH rather watch U2 videos  :)

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, dmway said:

Such a GREAT song! I made a sign for Crumbs at one of the Detroit shows(well actually Auburn Hills) and was so excited that they played it !!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, u2rone said:

I'll have to watch the video for Wild Horses. I haven't seen it in YEARS! I remember there is a part where Bono gets pissed and walks away. He must not have hit the note he wanted or something.

Do you mean the one in black and white w/a different mix of the song?  I love that one.  He doesn't get pissed.  He's being Bono.  It's at the end.  It's particularly liked by quite a few people.  It's well worth watching.  I watch is quite often.  The remix is incredible.

17 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

Do you mean the one in black and white w/a different mix of the song?  I love that one.  He doesn't get pissed.  He's being Bono.  It's at the end.  It's particularly liked by quite a few people.  It's well worth watching.  I watch is quite often.  The remix is incredible.

Yes. And I always thought he got mad . It looks like he says f... and walks away. But being the perfectionist that he is he probably wanted it JUST RIGHT. Counting the days until Chicago(but I've been doing that for awhile)

11 hours ago, unforgettableu2 said:

The wonder of creativity....if only we could understand the corresponding pieces that make it fit perfectly that one day.

If only I could look at the screen and not feel like I've been staring at the sun for too long!  haha

• Like 1

Just now, u2rone said:

Yes. And I always thought he got mad . It looks like he says f... and walks away. But being the perfectionist that he is he probably wanted it JUST RIGHT. Counting the days until Chicago(but I've been doing that for awhile)

My understanding is he's being Bono.  He's cool and a cock, he knows it and he's playing it well.  I think it's intentional.  I could be wrong.  Yes!  Two weeks from tomorrow night is CHI I.  Then CHI II.  woo hoo.

4 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

My understanding is he's being Bono.  He's cool and a cock, he knows it and he's playing it well.  I think it's intentional.  I could be wrong.  Yes!  Two weeks from tomorrow night is CHI I.  Then CHI II.  woo hoo.

Always a treat. And a VERY good time!

20 hours ago, unforgettableu2 said:

Do yo think  Dali was thinking when he created?

My mentor met Salvador Dali when Paul was younger.   He went to Dali's house and gave a book of his poetry to Dali's gatekeeper/assistant.  Paul said he went up on a hill and spent the day writing and waiting.  Dali liked his poetry and Paul got invited into Dali's home.  Dali was working on that incredible painting of the vision of St. John-the one with Christ on the cross way up in the sky and looking down on things.  Dali explained what he was doing and why.  I cannot fathom that as I'm a huge Dali fan.  Paul was young and still naive.  He saw an early painting and mistook it for a Picasso.  Dali and Picasso did not like each other.  Paul innocently said, "I see you have a Picasso.:"  He said that Dali took his fingers and curled his mustache whilst proudly boasting, "Done when I was a child."  Can you imagine?  I knew Paul for decades and still cannot imagine hanging out with Dali, in his home and at one of his artisitic high points.  I'm very, very slowly writing all these stories and putting them into a book about being on Mallorca and learning from Paul.  It's honoring a book Paul wrote called, In Southern Turkery With Duncan Grant.   Paul told me a lot about Dali.  He said that Dali was very cerebral.  I thik that's funny with Dali doing Alice Cooper and the brain.  Google that one.  It's great.  It's even funnier because the man teaching me what no school can teach did not know who Alice Cooper was.  I spent the day telling him.  He did not find much interest yet endured my enthusiasm.  There is a major Dali museum in St. Petersburg, Florida.  My family lives about ninety minutes inland.  I go to it all the time.  Great musuem and where Dali wanted those paintings as the foundors of the museum were his most trusted friends.  It is easy to not realize how large some of his paintings were.  Columbus Discovering America is one that is huge.

I do not mean to put myself on a pedestal by speaking of being friends with a very accomplished writer.  He was my friend.  I was naive and wanted nothing.save hello,  It developed from that.  Paul was quite the Englishman.  He was the last living member of the Bloomsbury movement out of England.  When I first heard Bloomsbury, I thought it was some sort of English pie.  "No David...."  This was in Milwaukee, WI.  How I get so blessed will always keep me going when my head hurts to where I want to run and hide and then scream.  Paul was also a shit.  He'd set me up and then grin while watching me flounder.  He did it with Gilbert and George and in front of Gilbert and George and their possee at one of their exhibitions in Chicago.  That's a whole other story.  I did not kow who Gilbert and George were.  At the time, I did not enjoy their work, however; I was just learning.  Paul told them I thought their work as crap-not in those words but pretty much that literal.  He did this in front of the artists.  There is not a hole on this Earth small enough for me to have hidden.  He grinned while he watched me squirm.  Pardon my indulgence in writing all of this.  Today is a day I remember Paul and especially miss him.  Your question of Dali made it impossible not to say something.  To end this-I gave Paul some of Bono's lyrics.  Three days later they were handed back to me and he said, "Not bad.".   That meant he thought they were great but one should never rest upon laurels.  He especially liked the lyrical content of Until The End of the World.  "Very cleverly written"  

Edited by Manohlive
  • Brilliant 1

On 5/3/2018 at 8:53 AM, omnivox said:

Hey all. The show was once again amazing. A spiritual experience as it is. I was able to take my young sons to show them what I am always talking about. They had on teal shits that said “my first U2 concert + innocence experience 2018.” Some people asked to take pictures of them to post. If anyone has them I would like a copy or link please. If they made it to Zootopia it would blow their minds!

please no lectures of strangers taking pics of my kids. U2 concert we are all family lol.

Can anyone help?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, u2rone said:

I'll have to watch the video for Wild Horses. I haven't seen it in YEARS! I remember there is a part where Bono gets pissed and walks away. He must not have hit the note he wanted or something.

He messes up the lyrics - he starts lip-synching "Who's gonna ride..." when it should be "Who's gonna taste your salt water kisses". Hence the F-word!

3 hours ago, Canadanne said:

He messes up the lyrics - he starts lip-synching "Who's gonna ride..." when it should be "Who's gonna taste your salt water kisses". Hence the F-word!

Thanks!   I do want to take some time and watch some of the old videos.  I'll probably start drooling if I watch the One video where Bono is sitting at the table smoking. Al I can say is HOT and WOW :)

8 hours ago, Manohlive said:

My mentor met Salvador Dali when Paul was younger.   He went to Dali's house and gave a book of his poetry to Dali's gatekeeper/assistant.  Paul said he went up on a hill and spent the day writing and waiting.  Dali liked his poetry and Paul got invited into Dali's home.  Dali was working on that incredible painting of the vision of St. John-the one with Christ on the cross way up in the sky and looking down on things.  Dali explained what he was doing and why.  I cannot fathom that as I'm a huge Dali fan.  Paul was young and still naive.  He saw an early painting and mistook it for a Picasso.  Dali and Picasso did not like each other.  Paul innocently said, "I see you have a Picasso.:"  He said that Dali took his fingers and curled his mustache whilst proudly boasting, "Done when I was a child."  Can you imagine?  I knew Paul for decades and still cannot imagine hanging out with Dali, in his home and at one of his artisitic high points.  I'm very, very slowly writing all these stories and putting them into a book about being on Mallorca and learning from Paul.  It's honoring a book Paul wrote called, In Southern Turkery With Duncan Grant.   Paul told me a lot about Dali.  He said that Dali was very cerebral.  I thik that's funny with Dali doing Alice Cooper and the brain.  Google that one.  It's great.  It's even funnier because the man teaching me what no school can teach did not know who Alice Cooper was.  I spent the day telling him.  He did not find much interest yet endured my enthusiasm.  There is a major Dali museum in St. Petersburg, Florida.  My family lives about ninety minutes inland.  I go to it all the time.  Great musuem and where Dali wanted those paintings as the foundors of the museum were his most trusted friends.  It is easy to not realize how large some of his paintings were.  Columbus Discovering America is one that is huge.

I do not mean to put myself on a pedestal by speaking of being friends with a very accomplished writer.  He was my friend.  I was naive and wanted nothing.save hello,  It developed from that.  Paul was quite the Englishman.  He was the last living member of the Bloomsbury movement out of England.  When I first heard Bloomsbury, I thought it was some sort of English pie.  "No David...."  This was in Milwaukee, WI.  How I get so blessed will always keep me going when my head hurts to where I want to run and hide and then scream.  Paul was also a shit.  He'd set me up and then grin while watching me flounder.  He did it with Gilbert and George and in front of Gilbert and George and their possee at one of their exhibitions in Chicago.  That's a whole other story.  I did not kow who Gilbert and George were.  At the time, I did not enjoy their work, however; I was just learning.  Paul told them I thought their work as crap-not in those words but pretty much that literal.  He did this in front of the artists.  There is not a hole on this Earth small enough for me to have hidden.  He grinned while he watched me squirm.  Pardon my indulgence in writing all of this.  Today is a day I remember Paul and especially miss him.  Your question of Dali made it impossible not to say something.  To end this-I gave Paul some of Bono's lyrics.  Three days later they were handed back to me and he said, "Not bad.".   That meant he thought they were great but one should never rest upon laurels.  He especially liked the lyrical content of Until The End of the World.  "Very cleverly written"  

"I dreamed I saw Dali...with a supermarket trolley.....trying to throw his arms around a girl.

He took a open top beetle

Through the eye of a needle

He was trying to throw his arms around the world."

Cool story Mano....not one everyone could say they have experienced in their life time. How cool is that? How cool to be YOU....and have such a dynamic, creative mentor. I think it's ironic that I used "Dali" as illustrative point...to describe the random creative process. I think Dali had a unabridged mind....no filters.....and created from a child-like place.

So, what is Bono's fascination with Dali? do you know?  Since you know a considerable amount of information about Dali. Educate me.....

3 hours ago, omnivox said:

Can anyone help?

Omnivox....I took my kids to the Joshua tree concert last year.

They made their own shirts/hat.....actually, my older daughter wore my t-shirt i made when I was 13 years old(u2 boy)...back in 83'....it was surreal seeing her wear my shirt.

They roughed the GA line....and I mean it was rough....but, my youngest daughter had rail/front row.....and got Edge's pick, too.

I felt bad for them....but, they loved it....a memory they will always treasure.

I couldn't get GA's for the entire family this time due to the weird pre-sale. it's just my husband and I....this time around. I'm a bit sad I can't share the experience with the kids.

U2 transcends generations......it's truly remarkable.

2 minutes ago, unforgettableu2 said:

How cool to be YOU.

No.  Not what I meant.  It's a cool story about Dali.  I also think it is very funny someone would be in Dali's house, think one of his paintings a Picasso and not be thrown out immediately.  I got lucky.  He was my professor.  He read something from Oedipus, which he has translated.  I had read Oedipus two weeks earlier and could not sleep for a couple nights.  I eventually told him this (Paul not Oedipus) and did not know he translated Greek and Latin text, leave alone being the best. (arguably)   All I knew was I had a good professor.

3 minutes ago, unforgettableu2 said:

I think Dali had a unabridged mind....no filters.....and created from a child-like place.

He paints with such beauty.  His paintings can be so bizarre yet when one looks at the brush strokes-they are as beautiful as any master.  Go see the museum in St Pete's.  It's incredible.  I got lucky with that too.  It's rather ironic because they built a new museum with room for other exhibits.  I was there one year and they had a Picasso exhibit.  It was wonderful but packed.  I was in the gift store and saw a porcelain moustache.  I thought it was cool because my Godfather has a very distinct mustache.  I begin to ponder, in the silence of the museum, buying him the moutache only to drop it on the floor.  It was like a siren going off-everyone heard it.  I am most definitely not cool.  I did not know what to do.  People were looking.  There was a guy at the counter that thought it was hysterical so I did that cheap mime ploy of going down the stairs and disappeared to start picking up my mess.  I got a lot of laughs but nobody called me cool..

15 minutes ago, unforgettableu2 said:

So, what is Bono's fascination with Dali? do you know?  Since you know a considerable amount of information about Dali. Educate me..

'Tis you educating me.  I had no idea Bono has a fascination with Dali.  

5 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

No.  Not what I meant.  It's a cool story about Dali.  I also think it is very funny someone would be in Dali's house, think one of his paintings a Picasso and not be thrown out immediately.  I got lucky.  He was my professor.  He read something from Oedipus, which he has translated.  I had read Oedipus two weeks earlier and could not sleep for a couple nights.  I eventually told him this (Paul not Oedipus) and did not know he translated Greek and Latin text, leave alone being the best. (arguably)   All I knew was I had a good professor.

He paints with such beauty.  His paintings can be so bizarre yet when one looks at the brush strokes-they are as beautiful as any master.  Go see the museum in St Pete's.  It's incredible.  I got lucky with that too.  It's rather ironic because they built a new museum with room for other exhibits.  I was there one year and they had a Picasso exhibit.  It was wonderful but packed.  I was in the gift store and saw a porcelain moustache.  I thought it was cool because my Godfather has a very distinct mustache.  I begin to ponder, in the silence of the museum, buying him the moutache only to drop it on the floor.  It was like a siren going off-everyone heard it.  I am most definitely not cool.  I did not know what to do.  People were looking.  There was a guy at the counter that thought it was hysterical so I did that cheap mime ploy of going down the stairs and disappeared to start picking up my mess.  I got a lot of laughs but nobody called me cool..

yes... cool to be YOU...silly. Having the experience.....and what it taught you.....and shaped you creatively. You were destined to have that because God knew you would value it beyond the egocentric..

it's comparable to meeting the band and appreciating the moment....instead of seeking a autograph/picture. Which is more sincere? Which is more centered around the work of a artist, or the overall experience rather than then being associated to such a masterful teacher. Your professor had the humility to teach you this....and you comprehended the value of his teachings.

I love the mustache story....it reinforces your ability to be humble and flawed....if you can't laugh at yourself....than no one can.

9 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

'Tis you educating me.  I had no idea Bono has a fascination with Dali.  

Fun how this works...right?  Human interaction is one giant web....tethered....

Hmm....yes, Bono has a thing for Dali.....but, I don't know the origin of this fascination or 'why'.

18 minutes ago, unforgettableu2 said:

Fun how this works...right?  Human interaction is one giant web....tethered....

Hmm....yes, Bono has a thing for Dali.....but, I don't know the origin of this fascination or 'why'.

Bono and Dali-That would be a most interesting conversation.  Alice Cooper and Dali-In 1973 Dali created a picture of Alice Cooper's brain using chocolate eclairs, ants, diamonds and he used primitive holographic technology..  Augmented reality?  Perhaps that's it.   What I truly love most about Dali is how much he loved and was dedicated to Gala.

There is an interview with Alice Cooper in a Dali documentary.  Alice said he was quite drunk.  That had to be such a surreal setting. He's loaded and Dali walks up and hands him a brain and says, "We're also using eclairs and ants and diamonds!"  lmao.  Alice did not say Dali said that but can you imagine the setting?   Even smashed out of their gourd, nobody would come with that one. So funny and weird. Oh my gosh.  I wish I had a time machine.  (Dali did hand him a brain.)

Edited by Manohlive

9 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

Bono and Dali-That would be a most interesting conversation.  Alice Cooper and Dali-In 1973 Dali created a picture of Alice Cooper's brain using chocolate eclairs, ants, diamonds and he used primitive holographic technology..  Augmented reality?  Perhaps that's it.   What I truly love most about Dali is how much he loved and was dedicated to Gala.

There is an interview with Alice Cooper in a Dali documentary.  Alice said he was quite drunk.  That had to be such a surreal setting. He's loaded and Dali walks up and hands him a brain and says, "We're also using eclairs and ants and diamonds!"  lmao.  Alice did not say Dali said that but can you imagine the setting?   Even smashed out of their gourd, nobody would come with that one. So funny and weird. Oh my gosh.  I wish I had a time machine.  (Dali did hand him a brain.)

weird indeed....art is weird.....comes from a subconscious place.....dreams are like being drunk....altered reality.....lowered inhibitions....

Interesting about the "drunk'' aspect again, referring to the Alice cooper story.....but, "trying to throw your arms around the world" was about u2's  first, new experiences with the excesses of partying/drinking....in their late twenties...not when young/teens. "Dali'' reference must have some connection? Surreal/altered reality of drinking and the rockstar life? How creativity is affected? Good or bad????? Not sure???

The Alice Cooper thing is true.  I did not know the origins of Throw You Arms Around....however; I did not mean that Alice Cooper had anything to do with Bono loving Dali.  Alice Cooper, eclairs, ants, diamonds and an early hologram. It still makes me laugh.  They showed footage and Dali was very serious when he handed Alice Cooper the brain.  I wish I knew the name of the documentary.  It's well worth seeing.

Edited by Manohlive