Sign in to follow this  
Max Tsukino

Tulsa Live Thread #U2eiTour

So what time did they actually come on stage last night?  Was it promptly at 8pm or shortly thereafter?

I am one of those who can't really tell how much energy there was last night in the Tulsa arena. But what I saw on youtube, I enjoyed it a lot.

I think 27 songs, most of them so intimate and full of meanings, especially for Bono, are something more than a concert. Those songs are a demonstration of friendships, and that is so very unique and special. I do really love them more than ever.

But I am also one of those who missed Streets a lot. That is not just a song from The Joshua Tree. It's more than a song. Our moment of rebirth. When Streets starts, all the odds are left apart, for a while. There is nothing so powerful, for me.

Where the streets have no name has become our song. Please, give it back to us..

• Like 1

Some notes & thoughts about last night in Tulsa:

We were in GA. Arrived around 5 PM and the line moved VERY slowly after they opened the doors to the arena. I'd say we got inside around 7ish. We bought some tour merchandise, drinks, etc. and we got down to the floor around 7:30. We were about 4 people away from the rail but moved back in an attempt to have a better view of the big screen.

Don't worry if you get a wristband that's a different "side" from the other members of your group (North vs. South side). They don't split you up like 2015.

The AR app didn't work for me -- and yes, I had the latest update installed on my phone. I think the GA area is just too close to the screen.

Periscope was working great until they put the AR image up on the big screen, and then I couldn't broadcast anything after that. I closed all apps, rebooted my phone -- but no Periscope. Sorry! :(

Overall, the show was amazing! Acrobat, Wild Horses, Love is Bigger... WOW! :D 

There are several points during the show when Bono walks around and is separated from the rest of the band. At one point, they all split up and each stood on his own side of the arena. Personally, I didn't care for that -- I like to look at them all together!

The guys all seemed to be in really good spirits. I think I saw LM Jr smile a REAL smile for the first time. ;) 

The "Macphisto effect" was pretty cool in a super creepy way -- they had some glitches with it, but I'm sure they'll work that out.

HMTMKMKM was really cool (even though Bono wasn't singing and it wasn't live), but it's so hard to see the screen from the floor. My neck still hurts today! :P 

I really enjoyed the acoustic version of You're the Best Thing...

Pages fall from the ceiling again. The two that I caught were from The Message.

I wish I could go to another show and get the full screen effect from the seats -- but... that probably isn't likely this tour.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, EnjoyTheClaw said:

something more than a concert

Absolutely! I wish I knew the right words to explain how it feels to to be a part of what I experienced last night!

2 hours ago, peterferris8 said:

Just finished watching all the footage on YouTube and my God...that looked and sounded incredible. For a tour opener it wasn't as ropey as the opening nights of I&E & The Joshua Tree '17 sounded. Bono was maybe a bit scratchy in places but he always seems to get the hang of it further into the tour (sounded incredible at Twickenham last summer two months into the tour). Adam's bass tone and playing sounded pretty gnarly in places. 

Setlist wise that's pretty ballsy. Some really good cuts in there we haven't heard in a while...All Because of You, The Ocean, Staring At the Sun, Wild Horses...all sounded great. And ACROBAT! They actually went and did it! I'm sincerely hoping they don't relegate any of those songs to the "rota" (where it gets played one night then doesn't get played the next) because I was kinda gutted not to hear A Sort of Homecoming last summer. 

I'm really happy they're still playing some of the best tracks from SOI - Iris, Cedarwood Road and Raised By Wolves were all highlights of I&E for me so I hope they stay. The SOE tracks are sounding good too, although frankly the new version of Best Thing probably isn't gonna be a highlight for me when I see them this October. Also, I'm a bit gutted they're not including Little Things, because that's by far the best song on the album and possibly of the last 10+ years, and was a highlight for me last summer. I'm hoping it gets added further down the line, because hearing the album version for the first time brought me to tears. 

When I read the Rolling Stone interview with Edge last year where he touted the idea of not playing anything from The Joshua Tree I was kind of torn on how I felt about it. I still am as of having just watched all the footage from the show to be honest. While it's nice to get a break from WOWY and Bullet (can't really speak for Still Haven't Found as I only heard them play that last summer) there's something about a U2 show without Streets that doesn't quite sit right. Hopefully it gets added further in. 

In regards to the stage show, the augmented reality section looked impressive - although I do hope that Bono starts actually singing Love Is All We Have Left rather than letting the PA do the work. Seeing MacPhisto back was something else, and the way Bono seemed to just transform into him between Desire and Acrobat was superbly creepy. The AR thing is cool but I'm definitely gonna make sure my phone's fully charged before the journey from Brighton to London! 

This has definitely got me shivering with anticipation for the O2 in October. Just gotta hope that setlist stays (roughly) the way it is now!

I’m so stoked I saw them play A Sort Of Homecoming LA JT night 1 because I didn’t see it again and I saw the JT anniversary tour three more times. 

Agreed that im hoping some of these songs they pulled out last night don’t get dropped. The set mostly really ties together theme-wise so there are only a few songs that could be swapped out realistically. 

Edited by lukylsp
  • Like 1

Just home from Tulsa and scanning the comments about the GA Line and the show, so I'll throw in my 2 cents worth.  For perspective, I've done GA for at least some shows for every tour starting with Elevation, with the exception of JT.  You can't see me, but I'm sitting on the sidewalk in the photo that Max Tuskino posted on page 3 of this discussion.  I was part of the un-numbered.  I did get a number on Tuesday evening when I arrived -  # 216, but just couldn't bring myself to get up for the 5AM lineup.  We showed up at 6:30 AM and the line leaders refused to do anymore numbering.  I've never encountered this before, early morning, day of the show.  I guess that they just couldn't be bothered - follow their rules or be screwed.  Everyone that showed up at 5 was renumbered and the last number given out was about #199 - apparently, quite a few of us didn't show up at 5.  I was about 5 people behind the last "officially numbered person -  # 199.  Not too bad.  We were supposed to self-police, and stay there except for short bathroom breaks and food, but of course, lots of people left for long periods of time, so there were large gaps in the line.  By the time the BOK staff made us put chairs away and tightened up the line around 5, it appeared that there were many more than 200 people in front of me - I saw some people with sharpies - I think some people made up their own numbers.

About 10 people behind us, there was a couple that we were concerned about.  The woman was in a wheelchair and her companion kept attending to her - we wondered why they would do GA.  Well, we found out later, when a man and his young son suddenly appeared in line that the man had paid this homeless couple to stay in line for him all day - probably about 8 hours.  Really awful what some people will do for GA.  By the time the doors opened, I had resigned myself to not getting a rail position - 12 hours wasted.  We did end up with one of the last rail positions - on the catwalk, which is a great location - you can see something of both stages and the band often stops in front of you.   But then we found out the couple next to us showed up at 5:30 pm, went in another entrance when the doors opened!  BOK Center doesn't win any kudos from me for GA line management.  

So I see Guy Oseary walking by and I called out to him.  He did stop to talk and I asked him if U2 would consider taking over the GA line.  He seemed surprised that it was an issue - obviously, he doesn't read these boards or get any feedback - so I'm sure I'm wasting my time with this post.    I mentioned some concerns and gave examples of how U2 did Vertigo with a lottery  and suggested something like the Bruce Springsteen method.  He said that he'd look into it.  I could tell that he didn't consider it to be a big issue, but then again - it's U2's opening night and he had plenty of other things on his mind.  I appreciate that he did take the time to stop. 

My beef is - as so many others have expressed - is that the current system favors fans who have plenty of time to kill - either they don't work and/or can afford to travel and stay in town for several days before a show.  They set the rules and it differs for each venue.  To be fair, I did find the "rules" on Facebook, but they weren't posted on the main U2 fan sites.  The sign in book started on Friday - 5 days before the show!  The less obsessive fan thinks that the info provided by the venue is the rule, but the venues almost always cave.   I'd just love a system that gives everyone a fair shot at the position that they want.  Or at least for the fan run lines to have consistent rules from venue to venue.

As to the show - it was amazing.  The band and crowd had great energy.  I loved everything about it except for two songs.  During Blackout and UTEOTW the band was obscured by the screen.  UTEOTW is one of my favorite songs to see live and I love the interplay between Bono and The Edge.  I come to see the band - not watch a screen.  Except for "Acrobat", I wasn't terribly excited by the rehearsed songs, but it flowed really well and U2 always seems to bring new meaning to some of the warhorses like Pride and SBS.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for posting that,

53 minutes ago, peggytwoten said:

...My beef is - as so many others have expressed - is that the current system favors fans who have plenty of time to kill - either they don't work and/or can afford to travel and stay in town for several days before a show.  They set the rules and it differs for each venue.  To be fair, I did find the "rules" on Facebook, but they weren't posted on the main U2 fan sites.  The sign in book started on Friday - 5 days before the show!  The less obsessive fan thinks that the info provided by the venue is the rule, but the venues almost always cave.   I'd just love a system that gives everyone a fair shot at the position that they want.  Or at least for the fan run lines to have consistent rules from venue to venue.

As to the show - it was amazing.  The band and crowd had great energy.  I loved everything about it except for two songs.  During Blackout and UTEOTW the band was obscured by the screen.  UTEOTW is one of my favorite songs to see live and I love the interplay between Bono and The Edge.  I come to see the band - not watch a screen.  Except for "Acrobat", I wasn't terribly excited by the rehearsed songs, but it flowed really well and U2 always seems to bring new meaning to some of the warhorses like Pride and SBS.  

Thanks so much for posting that.   In 2015 they did a good job with the San Jose GA line, and I'm hoping for the best this time around as well.  There is one managed entrance.

You have confirmed my fear about "The Blackout" from watching the YouTube video of the Tulsa show:   the band is hidden by the screen.  Not a good move by U2.  Not only do I want to see the band rather than a screen, but I won't even be able to see the screen properly from the rail.  Same with UTEOTW apparently.

Edited by Rich T.

On 5/1/2018 at 4:52 PM, Manohlive said:

I just spoke with people at the BOK Center.  They said that the line starts with the first person in line at the time announced.  Nobody with magic marker numbers will be allowed to skip ahead of whomever is there first, at the announced time.  They are going to have a couple of members who are higher up in rank, from the venue, out and making sure things go smoothly. I repeatedly asked, "So the first person who is there at the proper time announced is the first person into the venue for GA?".  I was told, "Yes.  Nobody with a number on their wrist from whenever should be allowed to go in front.  The person there at the correct time is the person who properly waited all day.  No previous numbers will be honored.". I was told that those shapie numbers, already preassigned  by whomever decides he or she is in charge, are not valid.  If they show up and demand to be put in front-those who obeyeed the rules and starting lining up at the proper time should say, "No.  We were here first as the rules clearly stated.:".  There should be upper-tiered people about, along with security.  If the sharpie numbered people start raising a fit-go get security. and ask for a supervisor if security does nothing.  They will respond.  I already let the venue know this is happening.  They are now aware of it.  

And of course what happened is that shortly after 5 am a venue representative came out to the lineup, complemented everyone and stated that the line would be moved to the venue side of the street at 6:00 and anyone arriving without a number and not on the list would be sent to the back of the line. This will more than likely happen at every show, so those wanting to be as close as possible to the front of the line should definitely participate in the fan-organized line-up. That being said, anyone who arrived at 6 am would still have gotten an excellent spot in GA even with being sent to the end of the line. 

• Like 1

Did anyone have redzone tickets last night? I have them for tomorrow in St. Louis wondering how good of tickets they are. 

Edited by u2fan1019

On 5/2/2018 at 6:18 PM, Heather S said:

Why are there no pics from inside?? I can’t bear it. I can’t possibly sleep with all this going on.  

Reception inside the venue was horrible for me. 

1 hour ago, james busick said:

And of course what happened is that shortly after 5 am a venue representative came out to the lineup, complemented everyone and stated that the line would be moved to the venue side of the street at 6:00 and anyone arriving without a number and not on the list would be sent to the back of the line. This will more than likely happen at every show, so those wanting to be as close as possible to the front of the line should definitely participate in the fan-organized line-up. That being said, anyone who arrived at 6 am would still have gotten an excellent spot in GA even with being sent to the end of the line. 

I figured that would happen after someone posted that the band sent pizzas and popsicles to them one afternoon.     

2 hours ago, Grande 3:16 said:

Good version of Acrobat, but I hope that embarrassing MacPhisto sequence is a once off.

I think that bit will be improved - it looked a bit glitchy on the video. (Can anyone who saw the show in person confirm that?)

I liked the idea, personally - and no messing about with make-up for Bono! ;)

Did anyone sit right behind the main stage?  How was the view?  I will be behind the stage row 5 in Vegas, thanks.

Edited by kevin_hogan

On 5/1/2018 at 10:24 AM, peggytwoten said:

If only U2 management would take control of the line!  I'm sure the fans running the GA list will sweet talk BOK center staff to use their list.  It's happened before and will continue to happen unless U2 does something to change it.  The vast majority of us can't afford to fly into Tulsa several days before the show and even those living in Tulsa can't check in twice a day.  I know that there is no bad place in this stage design, but nothing's as exciting as a rail position - anywhere along the rail!  Just wish there was a fairer system so that all of us have a chance.

I think the band are involved. I paid extra because I didn’t want to have to fight for a spot to see the band because I am short. Included with the ticket was a dinner and I saw some of the same people managing the line at the dinner in a separate room but had stickers on their shirts, not VIP lanyards. And they stood in front of me during most of the show so it’s not really about being on the rail to them. And I don’t think it’s fair to say they are bigger fans than I am because I can’t afford to travel the world to see every show. I live in Oklahoma butwould have been unable to show up on Friday to sign up for their line and check in several times a day for their show if I bought GA tickets. I arrived in town the night before the show and stopped to talk to someone at their table and a woman came behind me and ended up with number 28-something. He told her to be there at 5am the next morning. Lottery seems best. We are all fans otherwise we wouldn’t be at the show. Just because they have a notebook and a sharpie doesn’t make it right. 

• Upvote 1
  • Brilliant 1

MacPhistoYouTube.jpg?w=600&h=0&zc=1&s=0&

"Would that spoil my chance with the young ladies... if my make-up was smudged?"

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hillpy2 said:

Thank you to all who posted on Periscope!?

I scoped the first 4 songs or so from the front, but was disappointed to see on the replay how pixelated (sp?) it was.  At first I was not even able to go live and the app said the connection was too poor.  I guess the signal was just too weak to send enough data to have a clear picture.  A shame, as I had a great spot and over 1,200 viewers at peak.

20 hours ago, lukylsp said:

The set list was fantastic and as someone who’s seen them since the Joshua Tree tour, I welcomed giving the set more breathing room, on the heels of the anniversary tour, by not including any JT songs. 

There were some warm up/first night slips here and there but it was a fantastic show and I really like the set list a lot. If I had my choice they’d ditch One and Vertigo, too. 

Id like to hear a full band YTBTAM vs acoustic. 

I loved The Ocean and of course, Acrobat. I also loved the HMTMKMKM remix and the video that accompanied it. 

Great show, great tour. Seeing it five more times (St Louis, LA x2 and Manchester x2) 

Id like to hear a full band YTBTAM vs acoustic. 

Just now, bhamfan said:

SAME! I've seen a lot of fans share your same thought. They have changed my mind on other things in the past, so I could change my mind by the end of the tour, but I didn't like that version either.

14 hours ago, james busick said:

We showed up at 6 pm and were just a few feet off the rail of the main stage.  Fans with numbers on their hands were right in front of us, so I don't think it would have been worth the effort to arrive any earlier.

17 hours ago, Nole951 said:

So what time did they actually come on stage last night?  Was it promptly at 8pm or shortly thereafter?

The band took the stage shortly after 8:30.  The BOK Center seems to have a tough time dealing with big crowds.  Too many people and not enough doors.  I've been to a few shows that were also delayed simply because they were still trying to get fans into the building.

19 hours ago, peterferris8 said:

Just finished watching all the footage on YouTube and my God...that looked and sounded incredible. For a tour opener it wasn't as ropey as the opening nights of I&E & The Joshua Tree '17 sounded. Bono was maybe a bit scratchy in places but he always seems to get the hang of it further into the tour (sounded incredible at Twickenham last summer two months into the tour). Adam's bass tone and playing sounded pretty gnarly in places. 

Setlist wise that's pretty ballsy. Some really good cuts in there we haven't heard in a while...All Because of You, The Ocean, Staring At the Sun, Wild Horses...all sounded great. And ACROBAT! They actually went and did it! I'm sincerely hoping they don't relegate any of those songs to the "rota" (where it gets played one night then doesn't get played the next) because I was kinda gutted not to hear A Sort of Homecoming last summer. 

I'm really happy they're still playing some of the best tracks from SOI - Iris, Cedarwood Road and Raised By Wolves were all highlights of I&E for me so I hope they stay. The SOE tracks are sounding good too, although frankly the new version of Best Thing probably isn't gonna be a highlight for me when I see them this October. Also, I'm a bit gutted they're not including Little Things, because that's by far the best song on the album and possibly of the last 10+ years, and was a highlight for me last summer. I'm hoping it gets added further down the line, because hearing the album version for the first time brought me to tears. 

When I read the Rolling Stone interview with Edge last year where he touted the idea of not playing anything from The Joshua Tree I was kind of torn on how I felt about it. I still am as of having just watched all the footage from the show to be honest. While it's nice to get a break from WOWY and Bullet (can't really speak for Still Haven't Found as I only heard them play that last summer) there's something about a U2 show without Streets that doesn't quite sit right. Hopefully it gets added further in. 

In regards to the stage show, the augmented reality section looked impressive - although I do hope that Bono starts actually singing Love Is All We Have Left rather than letting the PA do the work. Seeing MacPhisto back was something else, and the way Bono seemed to just transform into him between Desire and Acrobat was superbly creepy. The AR thing is cool but I'm definitely gonna make sure my phone's fully charged before the journey from Brighton to London! 

This has definitely got me shivering with anticipation for the O2 in October. Just gotta hope that setlist stays (roughly) the way it is now!

I agree. A U2 show without Streets just isn't right!!! Mix it up, fine. But don't leave Streets out, PLEASE!