Sign in to follow this  
Max Tsukino

Tulsa Live Thread #U2eiTour

18 hours ago, EnjoyTheClaw said:

I am one of those who can't really tell how much energy there was last night in the Tulsa arena. But what I saw on youtube, I enjoyed it a lot.

I think 27 songs, most of them so intimate and full of meanings, especially for Bono, are something more than a concert. Those songs are a demonstration of friendships, and that is so very unique and special. I do really love them more than ever.

But I am also one of those who missed Streets a lot. That is not just a song from The Joshua Tree. It's more than a song. Our moment of rebirth. When Streets starts, all the odds are left apart, for a while. There is nothing so powerful, for me.

Where the streets have no name has become our song. Please, give it back to us..

You hit the nail on the head, so to speak. Streets isn't just a song, it's SO much more. Please reconsider adding it to the show. Hopefully before Chicago!!

18 hours ago, peggytwoten said:

Just home from Tulsa and scanning the comments about the GA Line and the show, so I'll throw in my 2 cents worth.  For perspective, I've done GA for at least some shows for every tour starting with Elevation, with the exception of JT.  You can't see me, but I'm sitting on the sidewalk in the photo that Max Tuskino posted on page 3 of this discussion.  I was part of the un-numbered.  I did get a number on Tuesday evening when I arrived -  # 216, but just couldn't bring myself to get up for the 5AM lineup.  We showed up at 6:30 AM and the line leaders refused to do anymore numbering.  I've never encountered this before, early morning, day of the show.  I guess that they just couldn't be bothered - follow their rules or be screwed.  Everyone that showed up at 5 was renumbered and the last number given out was about #199 - apparently, quite a few of us didn't show up at 5.  I was about 5 people behind the last "officially numbered person -  # 199.  Not too bad.  We were supposed to self-police, and stay there except for short bathroom breaks and food, but of course, lots of people left for long periods of time, so there were large gaps in the line.  By the time the BOK staff made us put chairs away and tightened up the line around 5, it appeared that there were many more than 200 people in front of me - I saw some people with sharpies - I think some people made up their own numbers.

About 10 people behind us, there was a couple that we were concerned about.  The woman was in a wheelchair and her companion kept attending to her - we wondered why they would do GA.  Well, we found out later, when a man and his young son suddenly appeared in line that the man had paid this homeless couple to stay in line for him all day - probably about 8 hours.  Really awful what some people will do for GA.  By the time the doors opened, I had resigned myself to not getting a rail position - 12 hours wasted.  We did end up with one of the last rail positions - on the catwalk, which is a great location - you can see something of both stages and the band often stops in front of you.   But then we found out the couple next to us showed up at 5:30 pm, went in another entrance when the doors opened!  BOK Center doesn't win any kudos from me for GA line management.  

So I see Guy Oseary walking by and I called out to him.  He did stop to talk and I asked him if U2 would consider taking over the GA line.  He seemed surprised that it was an issue - obviously, he doesn't read these boards or get any feedback - so I'm sure I'm wasting my time with this post.    I mentioned some concerns and gave examples of how U2 did Vertigo with a lottery  and suggested something like the Bruce Springsteen method.  He said that he'd look into it.  I could tell that he didn't consider it to be a big issue, but then again - it's U2's opening night and he had plenty of other things on his mind.  I appreciate that he did take the time to stop. 

My beef is - as so many others have expressed - is that the current system favors fans who have plenty of time to kill - either they don't work and/or can afford to travel and stay in town for several days before a show.  They set the rules and it differs for each venue.  To be fair, I did find the "rules" on Facebook, but they weren't posted on the main U2 fan sites.  The sign in book started on Friday - 5 days before the show!  The less obsessive fan thinks that the info provided by the venue is the rule, but the venues almost always cave.   I'd just love a system that gives everyone a fair shot at the position that they want.  Or at least for the fan run lines to have consistent rules from venue to venue.

As to the show - it was amazing.  The band and crowd had great energy.  I loved everything about it except for two songs.  During Blackout and UTEOTW the band was obscured by the screen.  UTEOTW is one of my favorite songs to see live and I love the interplay between Bono and The Edge.  I come to see the band - not watch a screen.  Except for "Acrobat", I wasn't terribly excited by the rehearsed songs, but it flowed really well and U2 always seems to bring new meaning to some of the warhorses like Pride and SBS.  

Well said. I don't want to do GA anymore because of the unfairness of it. Same people get the best spots because they pull together and only look out for each other. But with this tour and I & E I think seats are better so you can see the effect of the screens. But nothing compares with doing GA and being on the rail. Looking forward to Chicago.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, u2rone said:

Well said. I don't want to do GA anymore because of the unfairness of it. Same people get the best spots because they pull together and only look out for each other. But with this tour and I & E I think seats are better so you can see the effect of the screens. But nothing compares with doing GA and being on the rail. Looking forward to Chicago.

Fortunately it's a long total rail, and if you try, you can end up on it somewhere.

45 minutes ago, u2rone said:

In 2015, I did the whole thing by the rules. Was one of the first 75 in the fan run line. I wanted rail by the b stage. We got screwed on getting in.. bunch of ppl rushed ahead. I still had a decent spot almost to the rail. Two ppl right in front of me were at the rail, leaned against it and we're visibly exhausted and had no energy the whole show. Over heard them talking about this being 7 or 8th show they had been to in a row, hence thier exhaustion. No matter, they were not giving up an inch of rail space. The one thing that bugs me about U2 shows are ppl who want to be up close but have no enthusiasm. It's frustrating for us who don't get to be tired of going to so many shows. Each concert is a chance to celebrate, jump around, sing my heart out. 

Last go around, I hung towards the back of the ga crowd, and had a fantastic time just feeling like I could really let loose and have a good time. As exhilarating as being on the rail is, it can ruin a night to have to feel stressed about it. 

• Like 2

I'm just catching up. Looks like the lads pulled off a stunner. So much there. I'll be back.

23 hours ago, Nole951 said:

So what time did they actually come on stage last night?  Was it promptly at 8pm or shortly thereafter?

Came on a little after 8:30pm.

Did anyone else who went to the show catch Bono saying "hold on a minute" before the first encore after they said thank you? My wife and I looked at each other and said "Sure, we can hang out a little bit while you prepare to come back on stage!"

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, james busick said:

I scoped the first 4 songs or so from the front, but was disappointed to see on the replay how pixelated (sp?) it was.  At first I was not even able to go live and the app said the connection was too poor.  I guess the signal was just too weak to send enough data to have a clear picture.  A shame, as I had a great spot and over 1,200 viewers at peak.

We still loved it though! 

5 hours ago, svoot said:

Did anyone else who went to the show catch Bono saying "hold on a minute" before the first encore after they said thank you? My wife and I looked at each other and said "Sure, we can hang out a little bit while you prepare to come back on stage!"

Yes, but I figured it was opening technical issues. I saw him take out his earphone several times like he was having a hard time hearing what was going on. But I loved everything about the show! 

8 hours ago, u2rone said:

I agree and am glad I got an assigned seat. Being in town the night before I felt like the small group of fans who can afford to travel the world seeing OUR favorite band had a sense of entitlement. Their first question to most people they spoke to was how many shows have you seen?  Well I’m not independently wealthy so I can’t break away from work to follow them all over the world - but believe me I would love to be able to do just that! The elitist attitude goes against what the band stands for - I think. I frustrates me to see those who monitored the GA line just hanging back by the wall and not really displaying the excitement they say those of us who rarely see them live did. 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2018 at 8:05 PM, Rich T. said:

Thanks for posting that,

Thanks so much for posting that.   In 2015 they did a good job with the San Jose GA line, and I'm hoping for the best this time around as well.  There is one managed entrance.

You have confirmed my fear about "The Blackout" from watching the YouTube video of the Tulsa show:   the band is hidden by the screen.  Not a good move by U2.  Not only do I want to see the band rather than a screen, but I won't even be able to see the screen properly from the rail.  Same with UTEOTW apparently.

I  loved it because it was a surprise to see them appear as the screen rose. That’s when I realized how close they were! That excitement and surprise was my favorite part! And I did see Larry smile! 

On 5/3/2018 at 12:34 AM, Rich T. said:

I was able to answer my own question:.  It was a powerful performance.  Why have they waited all these years?  Why wasn't it played right before "Love is Blindness" on the Zoo TV tour??   I'd like to see Edge on the catwalk for his soaring solo (3:05).  Can't wait to hear it in San Jose.  It's gonna be like a date with my 30-year-old self from 1991..

12 hours ago, Canadanne said:

MacPhistoYouTube.jpg?w=600&h=0&zc=1&s=0&

"Would that spoil my chance with the young ladies... if my make-up was smudged?"

You know, I just twigged that Bono's digital make-up (esp. around his mouth) is a nod to The Joker in the Batman films - now, THAT is how you deliver a message visually.

• Brilliant 1

On 5/3/2018 at 7:46 PM, Heather S said:

Really? A terrible set list?  Totally disagree....they spent a whole summer playing The Joshua Tree last year....why on earth would they play them again with all the other ‘classics’ waiting to be played.  I am thrilled by this set list and can’t wait - biggest disappointment for me is lack of Red Flag Day and I was hoping for a few others from War/October.  Surprised they included the elevation/vertigo duo again but then again, nothing gets the crowds going like those so I am now counting down the months until September in Europe.  

The question is would you rather listen to The Ocean or Streets?

6 hours ago, kings said:

The question is would you rather listen to The Ocean or Streets?

I pick STREETS!!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, u2rone said:

I pick STREETS!!!!

I actually pick The Ocean.  I'm "Streeted" out, and "The Ocean" takes me back to another time, another place.

I could deal with "Streets" replacing "All Because of You", which the band seems to enjoy more than I do.

Edited by Rich T.

14 hours ago, sms_10 said:

I  loved it because it was a surprise to see them appear as the screen rose. That’s when I realized how close they were! That excitement and surprise was my favorite part! And I did see Larry smile! 

Good to know!

22 hours ago, shooboxx said:

In 2015, I did the whole thing by the rules. Was one of the first 75 in the fan run line. I wanted rail by the b stage. We got screwed on getting in.. bunch of ppl rushed ahead. I still had a decent spot almost to the rail. Two ppl right in front of me were at the rail, leaned against it and we're visibly exhausted and had no energy the whole show. Over heard them talking about this being 7 or 8th show they had been to in a row, hence thier exhaustion. No matter, they were not giving up an inch of rail space. The one thing that bugs me about U2 shows are ppl who want to be up close but have no enthusiasm. It's frustrating for us who don't get to be tired of going to so many shows. Each concert is a chance to celebrate, jump around, sing my heart out. 

Last go around, I hung towards the back of the ga crowd, and had a fantastic time just feeling like I could really let loose and have a good time. As exhilarating as being on the rail is, it can ruin a night to have to feel stressed about it. 

That's a good point, especially if you are going to multiple shows.  For me, especially since I'll probably only end up going to one show (the next one, on May 7), the best remembrance I have is having no separation between me and the band members, when they stand right in front of me as I'm on the rail, with no one else between us (well, except for some almost invisible security people).

On 5/4/2018 at 1:31 PM, u2rone said:

The GA line organisation had gone way over the top and it seems people take the p*ss big style, going missing for hours on end and turning up  2 hours before show time looking extremely fresh. I’ve done GA lines since the 90s but am dismayed by the elitism currently going down. I tried to chat to a few of the ringleaders just to say hey and get the latest u2 news. A turd in a swimming pool would have been more welcome. What is wrong with these guys. I chatted with other fans further back in line and had a great time. Shame a small few are spoiling the vibe, idiots.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2018 at 11:43 AM, u2rone said:

You hit the nail on the head, so to speak. Streets isn't just a song, it's SO much more. Please reconsider adding it to the show. Hopefully before Chicago!!

I'm hoping for Wild Horses.  They always give Chicago something the final night.  Perhaps we shall have both.

40 minutes ago, russpm said:

The GA line organisation had gone way over the top

It seems to me that there is a lack of organization.  Nobody is responsible so the venues send out attendants which are mainly sent to protect the venue. It's the only discernment I have. I'm going to call the BOK Center in Tulsa when they don't have a show and ask that girl some more questions.  I plan on telling her what happened with GA without being critical.   Perhaps there is something we are missing.  Are these people who appear later but organize early the fans that go to hundreds of shows?  If so then I think they should get some type or something.  I mentioned it being a long term commitment.  I don't know, so I ask.  Before I call a venue, it would be nice to know if these people are somehow attached to the band from long term whatever and being allowed to do this.  Many people think I should not get something and are not aware I'm recovering from that head crap.  I used to have to be the first one let into the venue so I could get through security without slowing the whole thing down.  I could barely see and everything was spinning.. Now I don't need it. Walk in front of a GA line and be the only person to go first.  lol.   Maybe this is something different yet similar in that we are not aware of an existing situation. This does not make sense otherwise.

Bigwave said Guy Oseary was talking and listening to fans.  One already talked with him.  Hopefully more will do the same as the tour progresses.  

Edited by Manohlive

6 hours ago, Rich T. said:

I could deal with "Streets" replacing "All Because of You",

Same here.  I don't like All Because of You.  It seems to me to be a weak song on Atomic Bomb and also did for the Vertigo tour  I would love Crumbs off Atomic Bomb or Miracle Drug.

Edited by Manohlive

32 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

Same here.  I don't like All Because of You.  It seems to me to be a weak song on Atomic Bomb and also did for the Vertigo tour  I would love Crumbs off Atomic Bomb or Miracle Drug.

I feel a bit blessed because I was at the Madison Square Garden show where they tried out "Crumbs From Your Table" live for the very first time. I love that song, and they played it wonderfully. I have no idea if they attempted it again beyond that show. "All Because Of You" is their channelling an old Who sound (by their own description). IMHO, that song sounds quite good live, better than the studio version. Vive la difference...

I think "Streets" (among other JT songs) will work their way back into the sets as time goes on - as I've said before, I think this is going to be one of their long tours (a la U2360). They're just not in the "starting line-up" this time around. (If they played all the songs we wanted them to play, they would have 5-hour shows before they started playing encores.)

4 minutes ago, dmway said:

(If they played all the songs we wanted them to play, they would have 5-hour shows before they started playing encores.)

And who here would complain?? ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, JCF said:

And who here would complain?? ? 

Well no one, except for the band members themselves and their weary mortal frames... :lol:

1 hour ago, Manohlive said:

Crumbs or Miracle Drug would be a highlight.

• Like 1