Posted (edited)

I feel like a sucker. After seeing dozens of U2 concerts for the last 30 years, and being a member of this club for nearly a decade, I can't believe this band has let me down so much with its SOE concert pricing.

I spent an hour in November trying to work through the Ticketmaster presale, after spending the annual $50 fan membership only to find very limited seats under $350 in the lower bowl of the Forum. So I shelled out $295 a ticket for the latter half of the upper bowl.

Today (and, silly me for not noticing this until now), but I'm seeing that there are many seats SEVERAL rows closer to the stage than my seats at ONE-THIRD the price. What is maddening is that the Ticketmaster map indicates that some tickets in this better location are being re-sold (by fans like me) literally right next to these lower-priced seats. So, 10 rows closer to the stage from my $300 seats, there are seats going for $111. And these are adjacent to ones being re-sold by fans for $350.

Am I living in an alternative universe???? With the price of 2 tickets, taxes, fees and fan club membership, I am paying nearly $750 to have "fan access" to ticket sales, yet I have WORSE seats than if I paid $250 for better seats today.

Oh, I should mention that for this "Silver Fan" price I received a hard copy of the SOE CD.  Which would be great if had a CD player. Or $500 more in my pocket. Seriously, U2????

REALLY REALLY BUMMED.

Edited by bonorocks
  • Like 2

This is what they do now, they price according to demand knowing that fans will pay silly money , then discount the unsold seats as the gig is approaching. It’s an utter rip off, but it’s supply and demand capitalism at its worst

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, doctornickriviera said:

This is what they do now, they price according to demand knowing that fans will pay silly money , then discount the unsold seats as the gig is approaching. It’s an utter rip off, but it’s supply and demand capitalism at its worst

UGH! It truly makes me not want to go to the concert knowing that I cant even buy closer seats because there's no way I can re-sell these for anything close to what I paid. I recall a time when the presales were super beneficial to fans. 

This is maddening. And saddening.

1 hour ago, bonorocks said:

UGH! It truly makes me not want to go to the concert knowing that I cant even buy closer seats because there's no way I can re-sell these for anything close to what I paid. I recall a time when the presales were super beneficial to fans. 

This is maddening. And saddening.

You might be able to buy better seats cheaper and sell the ones you have for whatever you pay for the better seats.  

Thanks... I thought of that, but worried that my other tix wont sell and I'll be out another $250. Lots of unsold seats still and concert is in 2 weeks.

Yeah, that is painful.   Who would have thought of a U2 tour that didn't "sellout" when tickets went on sale?  Demand is down.  As discussed months ago, it's combination of high ticket prices and a band touring 3 times in 4 years.   One of the big ticket broker sites has lots of upper level seats for under $20 and good lower level for under $150 for opening night in Tulsa.  I am glad to see the greedy brokers losing money this time around.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

The pricing is strictly down to Live Nation, Ticketmaster and I fear U2’s management.

they are being touted at the point of sale nowadays, it’s really sad to see. They charge as much as they can get away with.

gone are the days for high demand gigs that you knew the ticket price in advance. 

• Sad 1

i dont know where your seats are but keep in mind that the seats on either end of the arena are considered not as good as seats that are on the long sides of the arena. the seats on the ends dont have full view of the screens. 

There are tickets for st louis tomorrow that are $76. The tickets in manchester england for the same part of the arena are £210. TICKET BASTARDS. The price for tickets should be pre determined. Ticket bastard fleece fans and should be held to account ,instead of letting true fans pay over the odds for fear that they may not get tickets for fear of sell out.

On 5/1/2018 at 12:11 AM, bonorocks said:

Am I living in an alternative universe???? With the price of 2 tickets, taxes, fees and fan club membership, I am paying nearly $750 to have "fan access" to ticket sales, yet I have WORSE seats than if I paid $250 for better seats today.

But that is based on a gamble that there would be unsold seats closer to showtime, which may or may not have been the case. This happens all the time for almost every event that doesn't sell out. It's the choice of knowing you have tickets locked in months in advance, or not knowing whether you would be going until today...

On 5/1/2018 at 12:15 AM, doctornickriviera said:

This tour’s ticket prices were painfully high and going through all the hoops on their “fan site” to hopefully get ‘better’ seats didn’t do Me any good, so I totally agree with “Bonorocks”.  While the E&I tour seems technically spectacular- the guys in the group seem so dwarfed by it... may be this is a glimpse into the future of rock shows- where we don’t really need to see the live performer any more?  I do appreciate that they are there still but they seem to be fading away! ...  you almost can’t see them & there’s Definitely no audience interaction....or maybe I just need high-powered binoculars!

• Upvote 1

On 4/30/2018 at 9:11 PM, bonorocks said:

I feel like a sucker. After seeing dozens of U2 concerts for the last 30 years, and being a member of this club for nearly a decade, I can't believe this band has let me down so much with its SOE concert pricing.

I spent an hour in November trying to work through the Ticketmaster presale, after spending the annual $50 fan membership only to find very limited seats under $350 in the lower bowl of the Forum. So I shelled out $295 a ticket for the latter half of the upper bowl.

Today (and, silly me for not noticing this until now), but I'm seeing that there are many seats SEVERAL rows closer to the stage than my seats at ONE-THIRD the price. What is maddening is that the Ticketmaster map indicates that some tickets in this better location are being re-sold (by fans like me) literally right next to these lower-priced seats. So, 10 rows closer to the stage from my $300 seats, there are seats going for $111. And these are adjacent to ones being re-sold by fans for $350.

Oh, I should mention that for this "Silver Fan" price I received a hard copy of the SOE CD.  Which would be great if had a CD player. Or $500 more in my pocket. Seriously, U2????

REALLY REALLY BUMMED.

bonorocks, I am right there with you. I too experience the debacle that was Verified Fan access. I am a U2 Official Fan Club member and have been for over 15 years. I too did not get texted an Access Code on the day of the pre-sale and had to join the teeming horde. I spent the next two days on the and finally got through and spoke with rep who sold me two tickets for $943. At that point, I was determined to lock up a pair.

Many Zooptopians in these forums say, wait, more tickets will become available closer to the show. I should have listened.  There is so much wisdom here.  But, I am an ignorant man.

Ever since Live Nation/Tickemaster took over, it has gotten progressively harder and more expensive.  Sure, our boys are the biggest band in the world and demand is very, very high.  But it should still be easier.

On the upside, I had great seats and the show kicked @$$.  

I am now trying to figure out how to score tickets to one of their shows in Dublin.  It will be my first time seeing them outside the States.  But, I'm not confident I will get tickets.

Hope you still had a great time last the show.

Seats near stage always become available close to show time because at that point they have a sense of how the stage will fit into the arena

We ended up with cheap seats for Chicago,#2. Last row in the upper bowl, but at least I was there. I too got screwed during the presales, after being in the fan club for almost 30 years!!  I have become very disappointed with all of it. The real fans don't seem to matter anymore. It seems CASH is king now. So very sad. For those of us that have been 'hard core' fans for years just have to accept the fact that things have changed. Normally I would insist on going to all of the shows in my somewhat vicinity(Michigan), but just did 1 in Chicago. Oh well, at least it was a great show  :) 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Is everyone aware that Ticketmaster has a policy where if you see better seats for a show after purchasing seats-You can trade your seats for better ones of equal value?  I ask because most people I tell this to are not aware of it.  At least it's something.  What is happening with ticketing sucks.  I never thought it could get worse yet it has.  Sorry to whomever paid full price-look at the map and swap for better seats if they are available.  At least it's something.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1

I think the perfect solution to the presale crap would have been to  make tickets available for the Apollo to those who got royally f.... !!! Especially to the long term fan club members. She says while living in a dream world! HaHa

i too am a fan club member always get the presales for whatever it costs and never need to sell. this year however a friend can't come so i have to try to sell them and can't.  i paid $380 EACH for upper row and the seats next to mine were selling by ticketmaster themselves for $170 last weekend (i'm afraid to go back and look again) and they won't let you resell for less than what you paid. i can't get anyone to buy them even for that amount! the demand is down, and the band was GREEDY.  and we are stupid for falling for it.  i will never do it again. take my chances the week before. i feel so let down and disappointed for being a "verified fan".  hopefully i can sell them for something before next week! 

On 6/6/2018 at 3:42 PM, hillpy2 said:

This tour’s ticket prices were painfully high and going through all the hoops on their “fan site” to hopefully get ‘better’ seats didn’t do Me any good, so I totally agree with “Bonorocks”.  While the E&I tour seems technically spectacular- the guys in the group seem so dwarfed by it... may be this is a glimpse into the future of rock shows- where we don’t really need to see the live performer any more?  I do appreciate that they are there still but they seem to be fading away! ...  you almost can’t see them & there’s Definitely no audience interaction....or maybe I just need high-powered binoculars!

TOTALLY agree with you. I decided to sit in my original seats, thinking that there would be great big video screens to see the boys in close up. Super disappointed that this wasn't the case. I wished that I had brought high-powered binoculars.

Also, the Forum seats where we sat were far beyond the reach of the sound-system... so we really never "felt" the music around us, thumping off of our chests - unlike every other U2 show we've seen. And looking around the arena, there were many empty seats, so it felt like we were witnessing something unexciting and distant. It never seemed like an immersive/crowd-uniting experience.

I'm definitely not planning to use my presale code for any future shows... and possibly might not see any future shows for quite some time.

On 6/13/2018 at 10:21 PM, tjgonsalves said:

i too am a fan club member always get the presales for whatever it costs and never need to sell. this year however a friend can't come so i have to try to sell them and can't.  i paid $380 EACH for upper row and the seats next to mine were selling by ticketmaster themselves for $170 last weekend (i'm afraid to go back and look again) and they won't let you resell for less than what you paid. i can't get anyone to buy them even for that amount! the demand is down, and the band was GREEDY.  and we are stupid for falling for it.  i will never do it again. take my chances the week before. i feel so let down and disappointed for being a "verified fan".  hopefully i can sell them for something before next week! 

What show are you trying to sell the tickets for?

On 6/14/2018 at 12:01 PM, bonorocks said:

TOTALLY agree with you. I decided to sit in my original seats, thinking that there would be great big video screens to see the boys in close up. Super disappointed that this wasn't the case. I wished that I had brought high-powered binoculars.

Also, the Forum seats where we sat were far beyond the reach of the sound-system... so we really never "felt" the music around us, thumping off of our chests - unlike every other U2 show we've seen. And looking around the arena, there were many empty seats, so it felt like we were witnessing something unexciting and distant. It never seemed like an immersive/crowd-uniting experience.

I'm definitely not planning to use my presale code for any future shows... and possibly might not see any future shows for quite some time.

Even after all that (and I know I’m not the only one going through all these emotions)... Now I think I’d still like to get to the show in CT!!!  ... I’m a very bad Bonoholic!

The fire sales of seats as shows approach is surprising.  But better to get something for the seat than have it go unsold. i sold my GA for Boston 2 after a long night in the red zone and picked up a nice lower bowl seat for $106 this morning. That seat, I'm fairly sure,  was $325 in December and $171 on Thursday.  A friend said the same thing happened for Chicago 2. It certainly is risky to wait, but this model seems to be more common when they can't put asses in the seats...