NickMode

Being On The Skinny Rail Worth It?

At the I+E tour i was on the floor but on the rail against the Red Zone twice.  If you are on the rail for the long, skinny cat walk where the screen is, can you tell what is happening on the screen or are you too close? Also, I imagine it was even harder to tell when It was raised above the cat walk. Correct?

Would the screen also block your view of the main and small stages when it is down?

Any help would be greatly  appreciated. I'd like to be close on the rail but also don't want to miss the visuals.

Thanks!

I was on the rail along the catwalk for 2 nights.in a row in 2015.  The first night, I was about one quarter of the way from the main stage toward the B stage, because I thought that way I could see a little of everything without being too far away from the main stage.  It worked out pretty well, and Bono sang "Iris" in front of me.  But I noticed that Bono and Edge spent more time in the dead center of the catwalk, so for Night 2 I relocated there, and it was better in my opinion.  You can still see the main stage fine, though it's a bit further away.  On both nights, the B stage seemed too far away, and I know that some people took spots near the B stage for that reason.   But for me personally, I preferred the mid-catwalk position.  This is unlike the JT tour, when I took a spot at "4 o'clock" against the B stage, which was the right move in that case.

As to your question about the screen:  you have to sacrifice being able to see the screen well.  You can still see it if you look up, but the effect is not as good.  I could see Bono walking along to "Cedarwood Road", for example, but had to watch YouTube videos afterwards to fully appreciate what was on the screen.  For me, the tradeoff was worth it though.  During "Cedarwood" I stood a few feet away as Edge played his solo.

The screen did not block any view of the band or stages.

• Thanks 1
  • Brilliant 1

If you're against the skinny rail, it can be difficult to see everything that's on the screen - but you can definitely get a sense of the imagery.  It's just that you won't see all of the detail that you'd get if you were a few feet back.

On the plus side, when you get on that rail, it does give you a great view of the band on that catwalk, and also makes it easier to see the band on the main and e-stage since you have that catwalk area free as a line of sight.  I was on that rail for a couple shows in 2015 and I found it to be more enjoyable there than the e-stage and the red zone.  There was also less pushing and shoving since the band doesn't spend a lot of time physically there.  People tend to flood the e-stage area when the band moves there, but the vibe on the skinny rail was a bit more mellow from what I recall.

• Thanks 2

SPOILER ALERT

I was on the catwalk rail, halfway down, in San Jose.   I did not enjoy it as much this time as last time (2015), because the giant screen was more obtrusive this time, and the band members spent less time actually performing on the catwalk.  There were some "moments", however.  If you want to see Bono singing passionately during "Iris", stand about 1/3 of the way along the catwalk from the main stage.  If you want to see Edge performing his solo for "Cedarwood Road", stand about 2/5 from the main stage.  If you want Larry playing his snare drum to Sunday Bloody Sunday in your face, then stand at the halfway mark, and look for the pink-taped "X" mark on the catwalk (that's his mark, apparently) - and stand on the "Edge" side as you see the main stage, because that's where Larry will be looking.   If Adam's your man, the catwalk isn't the place to be, except for at the end of "The Blackout", and then you want to be 1/4 of the way from the main stage.

Other than the catwalk, the B stage is a great place to be.  Most of the interaction with Bono would be at the 2:00 clock dial position, if 12:00 is the neck of the catwalk as it meets the circle.

• Thanks 1
  • Brilliant 2

11 hours ago, BillHenderson said:

When in the set list do they move to the B stage?

After the HMTMKMKM intermission. 

25 minutes ago, mich40 said:

After the HMTMKMKM intermission. 

Sounds like something Sharpay sings on high school musical( right of passage having a daughter)....... 

now that would mix up the set list a bit? Larry in a grass skirt anyone? ?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:00 AM, NickMode said:

At the I+E tour i was on the floor but on the rail against the Red Zone twice.  If you are on the rail for the long, skinny cat walk where the screen is, can you tell what is happening on the screen or are you too close? Also, I imagine it was even harder to tell when It was raised above the cat walk. Correct?

Would the screen also block your view of the main and small stages when it is down?

Any help would be greatly  appreciated. I'd like to be close on the rail but also don't want to miss the visuals.

Thanks!

I agree with Rich T, and I thought I was in a great spot, but ended up wishing I was on the other side. I was on the right side (if facing the main stage), which is the same side as the camera dolly. Every time one of the band members got close to me, so did the camera.

IMG_2505.JPG

Edited by 504jumper

@504jumper - thank you for this advice! My daughter & I were on the rail on the other side of the catwalk, because of it. The show was fantastic! We were between Edge & Adam for Cedarwood Road. I'm only 5'2 (my daughter's 5'7"), so seeing Edge when he was on the main stage was tough, but a minor quibble, all things considered. Particularly since we had an absolutely clear sightline to Adam when they were on that stage and barely had to lean over the rail to see Larry & Bono. No, we couldn't see the screen, and to be honest, I didn't really care. My husband wanted to see the screen, so he stayed back, along the RedZone rail, but at 6'1", he was able to see over people's heads to see the stage, which I can't do.

IMG_4438.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bgans said:

@504jumper - thank you for this advice! My daughter & I were on the rail on the other side of the catwalk, because of it. The show was fantastic! We were between Edge & Adam for Cedarwood Road. I'm only 5'2 (my daughter's 5'7"), so seeing Edge when he was on the main stage was tough, but a minor quibble, all things considered. Particularly since we had an absolutely clear sightline to Adam when they were on that stage and barely had to lean over the rail to see Larry & Bono. No, we couldn't see the screen, and to be honest, I didn't really care. My husband wanted to see the screen, so he stayed back, along the RedZone rail, but at 6'1", he was able to see over people's heads to see the stage, which I can't do.

IMG_4438.jpg

@bgans, so glad my suggestion helped. I'm 5'4" and know exactly how you feel. I'm a GA Floor guy all the way, but there have been shows where I spent good amount of time peering between taller people's heads, which was just about everybody. I don't always get GA floor tickets because of this, but the floor is where I want to be,

The rail is the best if you want to be on the floor and you're short. I like you, couldn't see the screen either, but would rather focus on the band members. They do such a great job moving around to that everyone gets a chance to see them up close.

This is a great shot of Edge!

• Like 1

On 5/2/2018 at 3:00 AM, NickMode said:

If you are on the rail for the long, skinny cat walk where the screen is, can you tell what is happening on the screen or are you too close?

If you're at the rail it's pretty tough to see the screen in any meaningful way.  But a lot of the imagery is the same from I+E when I could tell from craning my neck - ex: Iris, Cedarwood, UTEOTW, SBS  That said, if you are on the rail, you should accept you're there to be as close to the fellas as possible and imagery be damned.  Also could not get the AR app to work.  The screen blocks about half the stage when it's down completely, so halfway through Larry's drumkit on the main stage.  But it's not there for too long.  I was pretty far from the B-stage already so was tough to see regardless.

As a 5'3"er myself, the rail is usually the best spot.  But I also say it's just as important who ends up flanking you as they can obscure your view that you waited for hours to get!

If you want to get the visuals and you only have one show - save yourself the time and energy and arrive when/after doors open- you'll still get a good spot and will be able to see the screen a few "rows" back.