Recommended Posts

If I show up at the venue on Sunday night 5/6, I assume some fans will already be in line.   Does anyone know how that's going to work this time around?  I'd prefer to show up on Monday morning, but will head over on Sunday night if I know the deal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the GA Lineup policy at SAP. But i am sure fans will lineup away from the entrance before 9am somewhere else. That happened for IE Tour. Hopefully someone facilitating that will post info here. 

emily 

Screenshot_20180505-010741.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So in theory, if I follow the venue's policy alone, I could show up at 9:00 AM on Monday morning, and demand a wristband with as much authority as any fans who are checking in today (Saturday).  But it would be a mad scramble with a lot of dirty words from those with numbers (not authorized by venue officially).  But, having observed the 2015 procedure, it will be the fan-enforced version that is accepted by the venue, so I'll abide by that.  Of course, since I don't live nearby, and I actually have a life here in Sacramento, I will not be able to arrive in San Jose until Sunday evening.  What I'm wondering is how that will work:  if I show up a little before 7:00 PM on Sunday, will some self-appointed enforcer give me a number, and then I'll check in at 7:00 PM to remain on the unofficial list, then I'll leave again, to return in time for the official wristband at 9:00 AM on Monday?  That is my plan for now.  In reality, this will likely only gain me the benefit of being one physical body closer to the catwalk rail, but it makes a big difference to me to be actually on the rail as opposed to one or two people back.  It changes the experience, and it's why I fought to get a GA ticket in the first place.

P.S.  I wonder if fans do this for Taylor Swift etc, or if this is a purely U2 thing?  Do other acts even sell GA tickets for arena shows?

Edited by Rich T.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to Justin Timberlake 2 weeks ago in San Jose and people did line up at 9am, but i don't know if there was a "lineup" offsite beforehand. I walked in at 8pm and was on the rail.

It bums me out that we can't just adhere to venue rules and use that as the lineup time. Just because someone is free 2 days before a show and can facilitate check-ins 2x a day doesn't make it fair. We all are here to see and experience the same band, can't we make it a fair playing ground?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rich T. said:

So in theory, if I follow the venue's policy alone, I could show up at 9:00 AM on Monday morning, and demand a wristband with as much authority as any fans who are checking in today (Saturday).  But it would be a mad scramble with a lot of dirty words from those with numbers (not authorized by venue officially).  But, having observed the 2015 procedure, it will be the fan-enforced version that is accepted by the venue, so I'll abide by that.  Of course, since I don't live nearby, and I actually have a life here in Sacramento, I will not be able to arrive in San Jose until Sunday evening.  What I'm wondering is how that will work:  if I show up a little before 7:00 PM on Sunday, will some self-appointed enforcer give me a number, and then I'll check in at 7:00 PM to remain on the unofficial list, then I'll leave again, to return in time for the official wristband at 9:00 AM on Monday?  That is my plan for now.  In reality, this will likely only gain me the benefit of being one physical body closer to the catwalk rail, but it makes a big difference to me to be actually on the rail as opposed to one or two people back.  It changes the experience, and it's why I fought to get a GA ticket in the first place.

P.S.  I wonder if fans do this for Taylor Swift etc, or if this is a purely U2 thing?  Do other acts even sell GA tickets for arena shows?

From the times I have done GA the past few tours, yes, you would get a number from the fan-run line when you arrive Sunday, and they will tell you what time their show day lineup is - it has usually been 5 or 6 am when I have done it in Boston, Philly, NJ, and then the venue eventually wristbanded us around 8 am. So you will probably need to be ready to arrive earlier than 9.   I will say that even getting a number the day before during JT, I was one person behind rail at the main stage, not on the rail.  But maybe there were catwalk rail spots available; I just didn't go for them.  Good luck!  I have no idea if fans do this for other bands. This is almost the only band I ever go see.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, JCF said:

From the times I have done GA the past few tours, yes, you would get a number from the fan-run line when you arrive Sunday, and they will tell you what time their show day lineup is - it has usually been 5 or 6 am when I have done it in Boston, Philly, NJ, and then the venue eventually wristbanded us around 8 am. So you will probably need to be ready to arrive earlier than 9.   I will say that even getting a number the day before during JT, I was one person behind rail at the main stage, not on the rail.  But maybe there were catwalk rail spots available; I just didn't go for them.  Good luck!  I have no idea if fans do this for other bands. This is almost the only band I ever go see.  

Thanks for that good information.  I will try the Sunday evening approach, and will return in any case by 6:00 AM Monday, to beat the horrible East Bay commuter traffic (I am staying in the East Bay Sunday night). 

I think I'll be OK on the catwalk rail come showtime.

As with you, U2 is the only band whose shows I consistently attend.  But I've noticed that other big acts seem to have floor seating (which I can't afford) for their arena shows.   Smaller venues are a whole other animal.  In fact, I'm going to a small-venue show in S.F. on Tuesday night 5/8, which is why I can't go two nights in a row to see U2 in San Jose this time around (for which I'm bummed).  For that smaller show, I'll just stand wherever.

Edited by Rich T.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to be honest and say that it's tough on someone who doesn't live close enough to obtain a GA number days in advance. So far there have been no Southwest dates planned for e+i. I'm a fan that hasn't missed a tour in 35 years and have moved from California to New Mexico. I chose San Jose to see them because it's closest to where I am from. I fly in Monday, simply can't afford to fly in a day or two early to get a number from an unofficial GA line. Clearly anyone who lives within a few hours of the venue will benefit from this fan run line. Not saying it's a bad idea, just bummed because it's not advantageous to many of us who are coming long distances, who are just as big of fans. None the less from what I've read even showing up at 6pm you can get a really good GA floor spot. Just not the coveted rail. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2018 at 4:07 PM, emmypayne said:

bums me out that we can't just adhere to venue rules and use that as the lineup time.

But what would you do when 200 people all show up at 9am?  It would be a crazy scramble. And you know people would start hanging close by earlier, but if they can’t form an unofficial line, everyone would just be hanging around, eying each other, ready to sprint at the stroke of 9am?  Truth is the unofficial fan line really helps the venue out.   It only gets to be unfair when it starts way too early (Tulsa!) or its location is not announced somewhere on social media. I’ve only done the GA line a few times, but I thought it was pretty fair. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The real problem is the twice per day check in, which is not actually waiting in line! It's a different story if people are camping out in a park or something.  What's to prevent me from making my own "list" with a few of my friends with noon check ins at the local bar and then we show up with numbers 1-10? It's just as valid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.