Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dmway

U2 takes another stand

All apologies to those who are on the other side of the issue at hand, but I admire the band's consistency in being fearless in expressing their views, even if it may bring them negativity. It's one of the reasons I've liked them for so long.

http://entertainment.ie/trending/news/Pic-U2-tweeted-in-support-of-Repealing-the-8th-last-night-and-social-media-went-a-bit-crazy/404637.htm

Don't see what should cause outrage about it - women being able to have control over their bodies is frankly not something that should be put to a referendum because it ought to be a basic human right.

Fully agree Peter, as a uk dr I fully support the woman’s right to choose. However there will be outrage from some vocal minorities. Far right, pro life and some ‘religious’ groups.

I am Catholic and think peoples' rights should not be dictated by religion.  It is called free will for a reason.  I knew nothing of this. It's very interesting because the state of Iowa just pretty much banned all abortions.  That seems very dictatorial and the antithesis of what free will is.

The referendum on repealing the 8th amendment is understandably a very divisive subject  in Ireland and in the run up to the vote it will undoubtedly get more ugly.  The Ireland that voted to insert the 8th amendment is very different to the Ireland of today.  Since it was inserted there have been calls for it to be repealed.  It is is far to simplistic to describe those against repealing as far right, pro life and ‘religious’ groups.   I don't believe all those in favour of repealing want abortion on demand.   Both sides have extreme elements who would like to shut the other side down but the majority of Irish people are not extremists and people on both sides of the debate have real and genuine concerns.  I saw one of the images from last nights show says 'Free Speech'.  I hope this is respected by all sides in the run up to the vote and that regardless of the result any divisions caused will be temporary.

Even in the UK no -one wants abortion on demand. The UK has made some vvvv strange political decisions (brexit for example) recently yet remains a very liberal society.

this Article by amnesty is v good.

https://www.amnesty.org.uk/abortion-ireland-facts-crime

dont know how true it is but being forced to carry a baby that is incompatible with life is abhorrent. And turning a blind eye exporting the problem or sending it to backstreet clinic doesn’t really help resolve the problem.

Ive never enjoyed helping women and girls have an abortion. However what I see normally is a scared , vulnerable person who has come to their doctor for support and advice often in an emotionally distressed state after making a mistake with lifelong consequences. TOP should not be used as a form of birth control but should be available under strict and safe criteria when necessary. My role is in facilitating their care objectively and supporting them through a very difficult time.

these women need support, counselling and sending them overseas with little ongoing support and care at home isn’t going to help them much.

On 5/2/2018 at 1:42 PM, peterferris8 said:

Don't see what should cause outrage about it - women being able to have control over their bodies is frankly not something that should be put to a referendum because it ought to be a basic human right.

For a band that has spoken out about injustice and inequality, I for one am dismayed. What happened to you guys? The arguement for a womans right over her body wouldn't even be an issue if society wasn't so promiscuous. Why doesn't anyone consider the life of the unborn child when arguing about this.  Some individuals who are pro choice, treat it as if pulling a tooth.

54 minutes ago, BVB65 said:

For a band that has spoken out about injustice and inequality, I for one am dismayed. What happened to you guys? The arguement for a womans right over her body wouldn't even be an issue if society wasn't so promiscuous. Why doesn't anyone consider the life of the unborn child when arguing about this.  Some individuals who are pro choice, treat it as if pulling a tooth.

Personally, I don't think being promiscuous is such a horrific thing. If a woman wants to have sex with a man without the intention of having a child, or vice versa, that's their choice. I mean, condoms are available, and having unprotected sex without the intention of having a child is pretty stupid, but at the end of the day, women having to travel overseas to be able to legally have an abortion isn't right. 

At the end of the day, there's a big grey area on when a foetus is or isn't a child with a right to life, but if a woman doesn't want to be a mother at that particular time, I don't see why she should be forced to. 

For a perspective from someone better informed on this than me, I would say read doctornickriviera's posts above and see what he has to say.

2 hours ago, peterferris8 said:

Personally, I don't think being promiscuous is such a horrific thing. If a woman wants to have sex with a man without the intention of having a child, or vice versa, that's their choice. I mean, condoms are available, and having unprotected sex without the intention of having a child is pretty stupid, but at the end of the day, women having to travel overseas to be able to legally have an abortion isn't right. 

At the end of the day, there's a big grey area on when a foetus is or isn't a child with a right to life, but if a woman doesn't want to be a mother at that particular time, I don't see why she should be forced to. 

For a perspective from someone better informed on this than me, I would say read doctornickriviera's posts above and see what he has to say.

I agree, having unprotected sex is a stupid thing and individuals are going to differ on this issue for centuries. But who are we mere humans to decide when a life is a life. The fetus might as well be called feces, because that is exactly how the unborn child is being treated.. A total waste and inconvenience. Granted, rape and the life of the mother are reasonable decisions to abort the child and I wouldn't tell a woman in either position that she should carry the child to term. But normally a woman is having an abortion because she doesn't want the headache and inconvenience. There are alternatives, such as adoption. Rather than putting an end to the innocent life. In the US,  the right to an abortion isn't even an actual law. It is actually a judicial decree, a ruling based on the premise of the 9th and 14th Amendments.  The decision is upheld by the courts. Nowhere in the US history has legislation been drafted by Congress nor a bill signed by a President granting women the right to have an abortion.. Abortion has become so commonplace, that people will actually argue that its the law. Abortion is actually a policy decided by the courts rather than a law drafted by Congress and signed by a president.

My great-grandmother tried forcing my grandmother into having an abortion but she refused. If she had gone through with it she would have aborted my father.

Nice to know my favourite band would be ok with it if my father, my sister, my daughter, and myself never existed.