Sign in to follow this  
fleshfly

Concert Energy For this Tour

Do you think cell phones ruin the concert experience? just curious I could go either way, but leans towards yes....  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think cell phone ruin the concert experience

When it's 60% of the audience holding them in front of their faces for 80% of the show, yes.

If they only hold them in front of their own faces, the extra light is obnoxious, but it's not the very end of the world.  What's enormously frustrating and even worse in my book is the many people who hold their phones up and in front of them, thus blocking the view of people behind them and to the side of them.

I silently judge all the people at the show who have their phones out the whole time, but then spend the whole next day happily watching the videos they posted on YouTube. I must be an acrobat...

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Another good reason to line up early for GA is that you will not be behind anyone's cell phone during the show.

On 5/6/2018 at 7:17 PM, DeirdreBell said:

I silently judge all the people at the show who have their phones out the whole time, but then spend the whole next day happily watching the videos they posted on YouTube. I must be an acrobat...

Ha!  Same!

On 5/9/2018 at 6:04 PM, Rich T. said:

Another good reason to line up early for GA is that you will not be behind anyone's cell phone during the show.

Oh, if only that were true!  I've been blocked far worse by phones on the GA floor than I've ever been in seats.

52 minutes ago, vertigojds said:

Oh, if only that were true!  I've been blocked far worse by phones on the GA floor than I've ever been in seats.

What I meant is, if you line up early enough for GA, you can be on the rail behind nobody.  This works for maybe the first 200-250 people in line.

• Like 1

Understood - apologies for misinterpreting. And I agree, that is a prime reason for why I’d take a rail spot somewhere where the band doesn’t stay the whole show vs being one or two people back where the band often is. Because it’s no fun trying to see a show over a sea of outstretched arms holding their brightly lit phone in your sight line. 

Ive pretty much given up taking photos during the show. I want to be moved by the music and the performance. I don’t need to document it. And I find, with U2 and other bands, that I’m more likely to get some kind of acknowledgement from the performers by not having my phone out. 

I remember the first time I had GA tickets for U2 was in 2001, and I was one or two people back from The Edge inside the heart. When he reached his hand towards the crowd, everyone’s shot up hoping to get a handshake or high five. I was in a similar spot in 2015 and when Edge made the same gesture, a sea of phones raised instead. 

My experience has been that if you spend the show trying to take the perfect picture, you’ll miss the show and the interaction, and some guy in the 100 level with a telephoto lens will get better shots anyway. But if you just watch and participate, you’ll get to make eye contact, get a wave or handshake, or some other acknowledgment. That’s far more rewarding to me than the photo. 

2 hours ago, vertigojds said:

Understood - apologies for misinterpreting. And I agree, that is a prime reason for why I’d take a rail spot somewhere where the band doesn’t stay the whole show vs being one or two people back where the band often is. Because it’s no fun trying to see a show over a sea of outstretched arms holding their brightly lit phone in your sight line. 

Ive pretty much given up taking photos during the show. I want to be moved by the music and the performance. I don’t need to document it. And I find, with U2 and other bands, that I’m more likely to get some kind of acknowledgement from the performers by not having my phone out. 

I remember the first time I had GA tickets for U2 was in 2001, and I was one or two people back from The Edge inside the heart. When he reached his hand towards the crowd, everyone’s shot up hoping to get a handshake or high five. I was in a similar spot in 2015 and when Edge made the same gesture, a sea of phones raised instead. 

My experience has been that if you spend the show trying to take the perfect picture, you’ll miss the show and the interaction, and some guy in the 100 level with a telephoto lens will get better shots anyway. But if you just watch and participate, you’ll get to make eye contact, get a wave or handshake, or some other acknowledgment. That’s far more rewarding to me than the photo. 

I feel the same way.

• Like 1