Sign in to follow this  
realgonekid

Not enough SOE played so far!

Disapointed to see no Summer Of Love, Red Flag Day or The Showman, these all deserve to be in the setlist. Although nice to see Staring At The Sun back again ? and especially Acrobat!

Go figure, but my least favorite songs on the album are the ones that the band has been promoting as singles - You're The Best Thing About Me, Get Out Of Your Own Way, and American Soul.  If I never heard any of those songs live, I would be perfectly content with that.

Meanwhile, I think The Little Things That Give You Away and The Landlady are among Bono's best writing ever, and would love to hear them live.  The Showman (Little More Better) is also a fun song with a great groove, and would be a good addition to the set.  I am thrilled that Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way is getting such a prominent spot in the show as I think it's one of their finest songs ever.

• Like 1

The Little Things was one of the highlights when I saw them last year and is my main highlight of SOE. Not sure why they haven't included it this time round...

• Like 1

Yes, please, more SOE songs!  Summer of Love, Red Flag Day, Showman!  I do love that Love is Bigger is in there, and 13, and Love is all we have left, and Blackout.  But I would gladly trade You're the Best Thing for one of the others on the album.  

21 hours ago, peterferris8 said:

The Little Things was one of the highlights when I saw them last year and is my main highlight of SOE. Not sure why they haven't included it this time round...

Another fan of Little Things here! Bummed that I didn't get to hear it again in Tulsa.

It seemed like when they played it during JT tour, people just weren't "into" it. Personally, I felt like it wasn't a great song to end a show with, but I absolutely love the song. Another thing... even for me, once I read the lyrics, the song took on even greater meaning for me. Hearing it live, I just couldn't catch all of the lyrics because of all the crowd noise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, allyson2008 said:

It seemed like when they played it during JT tour, people just weren't "into" it. Personally, I felt like it wasn't a great song to end a show with, but I absolutely love the song. Another thing... even for me, once I read the lyrics, the song took on even greater meaning for me. Hearing it live, I just couldn't catch all of the lyrics because of all the crowd noise.

Same here. I honestly found it boring and disappointing...NOT at all my reaction when I listened to it when it came out on SOE and I read and heard the lyrics! It had me weeping, every time for at least the first 20 times I listened!  Though I still wonder if maybe it's better recorded than live? Not sure.  

17 hours ago, JCF said:

Same here. I honestly found it boring and disappointing...NOT at all my reaction when I listened to it when it came out on SOE and I read and heard the lyrics! It had me weeping, every time for at least the first 20 times I listened!  Though I still wonder if maybe it's better recorded than live? Not sure.  

I feel like it was still a work in progress when they were playing it last year - the album version is different with more atmospheric production tidbits and Edge's guitar throughout the song rather than just right at the end. I'd be interested to hear them play it now - maybe they'd play a version more similar to the album version, or maybe how they played it on The Joshua Tree tour is just the way they play it when playing live.

On 5/6/2018 at 8:32 PM, JCF said:

On 5/7/2018 at 2:07 PM, peterferris8 said:

I feel like it was still a work in progress when they were playing it last year - the album version is different with more atmospheric production tidbits and Edge's guitar throughout the song rather than just right at the end. I'd be interested to hear them play it now - maybe they'd play a version more similar to the album version, or maybe how they played it on The Joshua Tree tour is just the way they play it when playing live.

I heard them play Little Things at 2 east coast shows last year and both were excellent!  It may have helped that I had become very familiar with this song prior to hearing it live by listening to previously recorded performances.  Also, because most of the crowd didn't know the song, their lack of enthusiasm did take away from an otherwise stellar performance.  As someone else pointed out, it doesn't belong at the end of a concert.   I also agree that it is one of the best on SOE!!

They played Red Flag Day last night in San Jose.  Typing that just put the Dionne Warwick song into my head .  Once stuck in my head, tha one that does not go quietly into the night. I'll be listening to Zoo Station and humming the way to San Jose for the next 48 hours.  haha.   I'm hoping they add The Little Things.  From what I recall, they have always had an opening night setlist and they stuck firm to it.   (Elevation, Vetigo, etc.)   If I went opening night, I knew exactly what they would play.  I did not for SOI.  I think they had a pretty firm setlist for that tour as well.  I could be wrong.  This time they are mixing it up on opening night.  They toured last Summer which might give them more freedom without any backlash from people who only go once or twice. They don't have to justify not playing Streets.  I don't think they ever should but the once show in a lifetime people do. That is mere conjecture.  I find myself doing a lot of guessing this tour.  It's exciting.  They do have a live version of The Little Things which is on Spotify.  I just learned it was Spotify.  They are in a studio in Los Angeles.  It's excellent.  They sound great.  Bono sounds like he is in really good voice.  It's also on Youtube.  I presume people know about this.  I mention it just in case someone does not, because it's reallly, really good. They also look great in the video of it.  Bono looks a bit older but he's still cool as Bono ever was.;  Once he opens his mouth and sings, it's magic.  It's the same one where they also covered Marvin Gaye's What's Going On. I'm watching the setlist and avoiding most pictures so this tour is still a surprise.  From what little I've seen-there had to ba an amazing amount of thought and work which went into this show.  I know there is always a lot  This one seems especially something....I don't know what that is and I'll find out on May 22.  Please please please play Wild Horses and The Little Things one night in Chicago.  Please.  

1 hour ago, Manohlive said:

They played Red Flag Day last night in San Jose.  Typing that just put the Dionne Warwick song into my head .  Once stuck in my head, tha one that does not go quietly into the night. I'll be listening to Zoo Station and humming the way to San Jose for the next 48 hours.  haha.   I'm hoping they add The Little Things.  From what I recall, they have always had an opening night setlist and they stuck firm to it.   (Elevation, Vetigo, etc.)   If I went opening night, I knew exactly what they would play.  I did not for SOI.  I think they had a pretty firm setlist for that tour as well.  I could be wrong.  This time they are mixing it up on opening night.  They toured last Summer which might give them more freedom without any backlash from people who only go once or twice. They don't have to justify not playing Streets.  I don't think they ever should but the once show in a lifetime people do. That is mere conjecture.  I find myself doing a lot of guessing this tour.  It's exciting.  They do have a live version of The Little Things which is on Spotify.  I just learned it was Spotify.  They are in a studio in Los Angeles.  It's excellent.  They sound great.  Bono sounds like he is in really good voice.  It's also on Youtube.  I presume people know about this.  I mention it just in case someone does not, because it's reallly, really good. They also look great in the video of it.  Bono looks a bit older but he's still cool as Bono ever was.;  Once he opens his mouth and sings, it's magic.  It's the same one where they also covered Marvin Gaye's What's Going On. I'm watching the setlist and avoiding most pictures so this tour is still a surprise.  From what little I've seen-there had to ba an amazing amount of thought and work which went into this show.  I know there is always a lot  This one seems especially something....I don't know what that is and I'll find out on May 22.  Please please please play Wild Horses and The Little Things one night in Chicago.  Please.  

I agree that they should add Little Things, maybe to close out the main set.   I love that version that you referenced, which is also the live version. 

Other than that, and my objection to the fact that they seem to have already dropped WGRYWH from the encore, I am happy with the direction of their setlist tweaks thus far (adding Gloria and RFD, swapping out All Because of You).

One song they would never add, but which would put the setlist over the top for me, would be Crumbs.  Another would be Please.  But those don't really fit the vibe of this tour anyway.

I only went to Night One in San Jose, and I didn't like a couple of things (the sound quality was too muddy and bassed out; the giant screen was left too far down sometimes when they were on the main stage, and it blocked the view of many fans), but I did love the set list.  "Gloria" caught me totally off guard.

I don't need any JT songs on this tour.  That's what last tour was for.

Just now, Rich T. said:

One song they would never add, but which would put the setlist over the top for me, would be Crumbs.  Another would be Please. 

Same here.  I'm bummed you think WGRYWH will not be played again.  I'm hoping they add it the final night in Chicago, or better yet, they add it for all nights for everyone.  I'm not looking at live performances.  I did watch Red Flag Day, which Mich40 posted.  Has anyone seen Wild Horses from the night they played it?  I'm wondering how the crowd reacted.  I'd be ecstatic.  I wonder what the crown in general was like when they played it.

9 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

Same here.  I'm bummed you think WGRYWH will not be played again.  I'm hoping they add it the final night in Chicago, or better yet, they add it for all nights for everyone.  I'm not looking at live performances.  I did watch Red Flag Day, which Mich40 posted.  Has anyone seen Wild Horses from the night they played it?  I'm wondering how the crowd reacted.  I'd be ecstatic.  I wonder what the crown in general was like when they played it.

I have no information about whether they'll play Wild Horses again.  I just observe that they shortened their encore after Opening Night, so I don't know if they will return the song to the encore.

As for "Crumbs", I met a woman in the GA line who thought she was the only one who loved "Crumbs" so much, and I let her know that many of us share that opinion.

Edited by Rich T.

11 minutes ago, Rich T. said:

As for "Crumbs", I met a woman in the GA line who thought she was the only one who loved "Crumbs" so much, and I let her know that many of us share that opinion

I remember us begging for it during The Vertigo Tour.  We could not understand why it wasn't being played.  So many memories of being in here come to mind when songs from the past get mentioned.  I love that.  We also wanted Original of the Species, if memory serves me correctly.  

Dear U2, thank you for reading this thread and adding in Red Flag Day!!! Keep 'em coming!  Xo, your fans. 

• Haha 1

Hoping they'll add Little Things to the set by the time they get to Nashville. I've been in love with the song since the first time I heard it when they played it for to close the Houston JT17 show. Since then, I've literally hushed my wife before the song plays and cried many times as I belt out the lyrics while spinning the "blue" circle...love this song!

I absolutely adore The Little Things That Give You Away.  I saw four of the JT17 shows, and that was played as the closing number for two of the shows that I attended, and that made those nights that much better.  I thought it was such a powerful note to conclude on, particularly after a show dedicated to revisiting past glories - the idea of doing a song that in many ways is a confession about wondering if you're as good as you want to be, if you're worthy of everything, if this can still go on or if it's coming to an end - that takes a certain something.

When I heard them play the song live, I could swear that the lyric near the end was "Sometimes I'm so full of anger and grieving / so far away from believing / that any song will reappear".  When I got the actual CD and read the lyrics, I was surprised that it was actually "...that any sun will reappear".  I had thought that the song was about a fear that one day the well might dry, that inspiration could disappear, and that the songs and songwriting which had always come so easily could vanish.  I still think the song is a masterpiece even with "sun" being the actual word instead of "song" but man - you could have knocked me over with a feather when I first heard them do it and heard the lyric as I did.

I think "The Showman" is a great little song with a great groove (it's almost somewhere between Fast Cars and A Man And A Woman, if such a combination is even possible) - I think that would make a great acoustic, e-stage type number.  Would be great to hear Bono sing "You look so good!" and hear the backing vocals and crowd shout back "little more better!" to him.

And "Landlady" is just stunning to me.  I know that "13 (There Is A Light)" is more of the official sequel to "Song For Someone" but thematically, I think "Landlady" is a great pairing.  Song For Someone is what new love (or young love) feels like; Landlady is what happens when we're lucky enough to nurture and grow that love over a lifetime.  Since the 2015 tour and now, I've gotten married, and just as Song For Someone was perhaps my favorite from SOI, Landlady very well could be my favorite from SOE - I mean, ask me at a different time and I'll probably have a different answer.  But everything in Landlady speaks to me and speaks to how much I love my wife, how deeply I cherish our relationship, and how clearly I see that she is the balancing force in my life.  Alas, she's not really a U2 fan (nobody's perfect!) so I don't think she's heard the song yet, but I am very tempted to print out a copy of those lyrics and just give it to her with just that song, because it says so many things I want to say, better than I know how to say them.

I know this is extremely unlikely to happen, but if U2 wanted to play Songs Of Experience from track 8 to track 13 without interruption, I'd be the happiest guy in the world.  There are a couple before track 8 that I could take or leave, but 8-13 is just about as perfect in my book as anything U2 have ever done.

52 minutes ago, vertigojds said:

I know this is extremely unlikely to happen, but if U2 wanted to play Songs Of Experience from track 8 to track 13 without interruption, I'd be the happiest guy in the world.  There are a couple before track 8 that I could take or leave, but 8-13 is just about as perfect in my book as anything U2 have ever done.

I'm with you, though I would start at 6 and go through 13, and add track 1!  

• Like 1

I do love the first track, and I love the first half of Lights of Home - but then I lose a little bit of my connection with the material. 6 and 7 are growing on me :)

I think You’re The Best Thing About Me is a great song title and great idea for a song. It doesn’t live up to its potential in my book. 

I didn’t love American Soul when it was called Volcano and I still don’t love it. Theres something about Get Out Of Your Own Way that sounds more like an A.I.’s mimicking of a U2 song rather than feeling like an actual U2 song. And I think “The Blackout” covers a lot of the same thematic ground as those two but has a much more kickass sound. 

But I mean - it’s great that I want to hear more from the record. There are few things as disheartening as a new album you don’t want to hear anything from. 

Edited by vertigojds

After a few listens to the album after release, I predicted the Blackout, Red Flag Day and American Soul would be colossal live songs (even though I don't really like the latter).

I predicted the show would close with an epic, anthemic, rousing, Love is Bigger Than Anything in it's Way.  

I had no doubt the wonderful Summer of Love, Landlady and The Little Things that Give You Away would all be played.

I was stunned when 4 of the 5 best songs on the album were NOT played on the opening night.

I see Red Flag Day has now made an appearance and I hope Summer, Landlady and The Little Things are all in the setlist soon.

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:40 PM, allyson2008 said:

Another fan of Little Things here! Bummed that I didn't get to hear it again in Tulsa.

I love The Little Things, but playing it last year when it was an unknown song was not ideal.

I've seen other bands unleash new songs at gigs, but I don't think it is a good thing; the audience needs time to get to know a song.

However, it should be played at every show in this tour. I love it.

As should Landlady, Summer of Love, Red Flag and Love is Bigger...

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, vertigojds said:

I do love the first track, and I love the first half of Lights of Home - but then I lose a little bit of my connection with the material. 6 and 7 are growing on me :)

I think You’re The Best Thing About Me is a great song title and great idea for a song. It doesn’t live up to its potential in my book. 

I didn’t love American Soul when it was called Volcano and I still don’t love it. Theres something about Get Out Of Your Own Way that sounds more like an A.I.’s mimicking of a U2 song rather than feeling like an actual U2 song. And I think “The Blackout” covers a lot of the same thematic ground as those two but has a much more kickass sound. 

But I mean - it’s great that I want to hear more from the record. There are few things as disheartening as a new album you don’t want to hear anything from. 

I agree with you on all!  

• Like 1

Yes!! I definitely would like to hear Little Things. When I hear the live version it makes me cry every time!

Would also love to hear Book of your Heart. Great song!!

18 hours ago, ingenpat said:

Would also love to hear Book of your Heart. Great song!!

I LOVE Book of Your Heart! One of my favorites!