Sign in to follow this  
u2guitarnab852

Bono seems different

so far this tour, his voice sounds great but his energy seems to be missing.  I know it will never be the 80/90's Bono again but I am kinda surprised because I hadn't noticed it as much on the JTT.  

2 albums and 3 straight tours in 3 years can do that i guess.

• Like 2

Plus a really bad bike accident and a near-death experience. I think life has taken its toll on him and he's accepted he isn't a spring chicken anymore.

Edited by peterferris8
  • Like 1

He looks old beyond his years. Not sure if it’s too much hard living or not ageing particularly well or an underlying medical condition.

he is approaching 60 now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, doctornickriviera said:

He looks old beyond his years. Not sure if it’s too much hard living or not ageing particularly well or an underlying medical condition.

he is approaching 60 now. 

on the contrary the other 3 look great!  Especially Larry .

Yep, the man is 58. For me Bono is the beauty and the vocalist and the voice

one of the best ever and will be, a wonder, wonderful

and maybe I am just shallow but U2 for me was all about bono yes the music and the band but that ALL in him before 50 it was just beyoud and yes, we all grow old it is ok but with your idols it is something very different 

saw that tiredness in the Innocence tour it is ok but cos I cannot get it into my head this gap I cherish my mistake and the band forever and leave it behind (unless they come around) but not the music and not him and his agenda and ideas ever which have meant a world for me and so many music lovers "oh my love! oh my love! oh my love! oh my love!"

• Like 1

He does look a bit old (lines on his face), as he turns 58 tomorrow, but his intensity is there when he is singing.  I had a great first-hand observation in San Jose (met him before the show, and stood against the rail close to him as he sang).

In fact, this is sort of random, but I find that all 4 guys in U2 look like action heroes come to life, because they're dressed for their parts and their images are so familiar that when you meet them, it's like meeting cartoon cutouts.

Edited by Rich T.
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Rich T. said:

He does look a bit old (lines on his face), as he turns 58 tomorrow, but his intensity is there when he is singing.  I had a great first-hand observation in San Jose (met him before the show, and stood against the rail close to him as he sang).

In fact, this is sort of random, but I find that all 4 guys in U2 look like action heroes come to life, because they're dressed for their parts and their images are so familiar that when you meet them, it's like meeting cartoon cutouts.

Thanks for sharing Rich!

I think he looks tired.  I wonder if he is in chronic pain.  Like myru2 said, three tours in three years.  I saw a pic where it looked like he was tired from being in pain.  That's conjecture.  It is easy to forget how much he does when they are not touring.  He's always going somewhere for some cause.  I've not seen the show yet.  It looks like this one was a particularly large amount of work for rehearsals and preproduction.

Edited by Manohlive

18 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I think he looks tired.  I wonder if he is in chronic pain.  Like myru2 said, three tours in three years.  I saw a pic where it looked like he was tired from being in pain.  That's conjecture.  It is easy to forget how much he does when they are not touring.  He's always going somewhere for some cause.  I've not seen the show yet.  It looks like this one was a particularly large amount of work for rehearsals and preproduction.

I'm pretty sure right at the start of this mammoth touring schedule, in 2015, there were quite a few nights when he was in some sort of pain, definitely from the bike accident and still feeling the after effects of it. That's probably why he's far less mobile now (I and a bunch of others clocked it during the Joshua Tree tour), because movement isn't as pain-free as it was before. Once this touring schedule is done, I'm perfectly okay to go without a new U2 album or tour for a few years if it means Bono gets some proper R&R from the bike accident, almost dying and whatever other absolutely mad stuff he's been dealing with lately. He and the other guys must be exhausted at this point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peterferris8 said:

nce this touring schedule is done, I'm perfectly okay to go without a new U2 album or tour for a few years if it means Bono gets some proper R&R from the bike accident, almost dying and whatever other absolutely mad stuff he's been dealing with lately. He and the other guys must be exhausted at this point.

Considering that it's less than a year and we've a completely new show-that's got to be a enormous amount of work by many, many dedicated people in addition to all four of them.  It's why I don't think we'll see SOE again in America.  It's speculation.  Unless they are secretly superheros...how could anyone do that?  It's nice to see more shows selling out in Europe.  I saw one in Milan is now sold out and only a few remaining cities not sold out in Europe.  I hope they all sell out. 

22 hours ago, Manohlive said:

Also, he broke his back 8 or so years ago! I think there is something to the chronic pain theory.  And we all know how complicated and dangerous the pain management aspect of it can be.

I noticed something concerning in regards to his energy. Many times the crowd on Edges side were standing and Adams side, they were sitting down. When Bono and Edge faced the sitting side, they'd quickly turn around to the standing side.

This only makes the sitting side stay seated. The old days, they'd do everything to get them going. Now, just ignore. If Bono cannot be his regular rabble rouser, we are in trouble. 

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:02 AM, nyru2 said:

He looks like Robert Deniro now

Dcpb5XCU0AA65Mb.jpg

My boyfriend has said that too. Either Deniro or Robin Williams. Doesn't matter, he is still the most talented and inspiring singer to ever hit the stage!!!

He's fine...the tour is just getting started back up. It will all come together. It always does. Personally, I think its the new songs that are just not "There" and he is having a rough time trying to make lemonaid out of apples LOL... so the vibe of the whole set is kinda off...They might wanna think about doing some tweaking...

On 5/15/2018 at 6:30 PM, wahine said:

He's fine...the tour is just getting started back up. It will all come together. It always does. Personally, I think its the new songs that are just not "There" and he is having a rough time trying to make lemonaid out of apples LOL... so the vibe of the whole set is kinda off...They might wanna think about doing some tweaking...

I think new songs are just fine. Crowd goes up while they play Blackout, Lights, Red Flag or American Soul...they get things going up with those songs. But I may be wrong, I was in GA LA1 so the vibe is different from the seats.

He is just getting old, we can understand that. 

• Like 2

The music is fine as are the band and the concert. The issue is when you charge $325 for seats youre going to get an older more wealthy crowd, & they sit. I dont know of many young people w that kind of disposable income. Those who cant swing it will do GA, balcony, or not at all. 

I have a credit card I can use so I had seats. I think I was one of the youngest people in the area I was in. Most of the people around me were ballpark 50+ in age and even retirement age. U2 usually generates a diverse crowd. I do believe the price of the seats had a deciding factor on the seated crowd.

I'm all about GA because I can't stand being around people sitting during a U2 concert.  Was in the stands for JT2017 with a bunch of people around me sitting and told myself never again.  

Back to the topic, I do wish Bono would ditch the little round glasses; those aren't helping.  Otherwise, I thought his performance and energy level were fantastic.

• Upvote 1

The glasses are rubbish.

at least he’s growing old gracefully and not full of Botox fillers and facelifts. 

Not sure about the Barnet either.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, superyeyo said:

I think new songs are just fine. Crowd goes up while they play Blackout, Lights, Red Flag or American Soul...they get things going up with those songs. But I may be wrong, I was in GA LA1 so the vibe is different from the seats.

He is just getting old, we can understand that. 

He was moving around pretty spryly at SJ2. I had a hard time keeping him in focus. I think it might take a bit to get back onto your fighting legs, especially in your late 50s.  

IMG_2478.JPG

He has a lot more stage to cover than TJT30 tour.  It's easy, at least for me, to not think of how long it is on the catwalk between stages.  Going back n forth while singing and moving must be taxing on anyone.  I don't like speculating on another person's health.  There is at least one pic where his eyes had that Irish whatever it is that makes this so special in them...yet I saw fatigue and it looked like pain.  I'm not a doctor.  I am just a patient.  I don't like even mentioning this save that I hope he's not dealing with pain and I'm wrong. 

On 5/15/2018 at 8:35 AM, u2rone said:

He looks like Robert Deniro now

If I had to look like someone else-there could be much worse than De Niro.  I've been thinking this since I first saw that pic and comment posted.  De Niro is a bad ass.   ?

Edited by Manohlive