Sign in to follow this  
allyson2008

Will they come back to USA after Europe?

Each U2 show is such a sensory overload to me! I know it sounds greedy, but I feel like I have to see each tour at least twice just to take it all in. We went to the Tulsa show, and it was amazing! Now that I've watched other people's videos of the show, I realize how much I missed - either because I was looking at one part of the arena while the action was going on in a different part - or because GA is way too close to big screen to take in the full experience (no pun intended :P ).

I'm begging my husband to find a way to go to a second show and he just laughs at me and says "they'll be back after they finish the European dates."

What do you all think? Will they be coming back? Personally, I think not.

I'm no expert, but they sure have played a lot of shows in the US over the past four years, which might argue for not coming back...but who knows.  How far away are you from any other shows? I'd say, get to one!  Who knows if they'll come back or not!  I am lucky to live in the northeast so all the shows from Montreal to Philadelphia are an 8 hour or less drive for me, so I have been able to go to a handful each tour, and you are spot on, that there is so much more to get from the show by going a second time, especially if you take it in from a different spot.  (The third and fourth times that I go are over the top but I can't help it when they are in my "back yard"!)  

IMHO, I sense that the SOE tour is going to be a "big" one, more like the U2360 and Vertigo tours than the the I & E tour (which, if you look at it, was one of their shorter tours - not throwing the JT tour into the mix because that was a special one-off).

I'd just about bet the house that there would be at least one more North American leg of this tour before it finishes - just about, though: there are no guarantees in life... 😉

The nights they have put on in the US haven’t sold out like previous tours. Probably because the have toured a lot in the last few years, plus expensive seats. I would normally say yes, but not so sure this time. 

11 hours ago, DBUGGY said:

The nights they have put on in the US haven’t sold out like previous tours. Probably because the have toured a lot in the last few years, plus expensive seats. I would normally say yes, but not so sure this time. 

I think the cost is the main drag in some markets - Ticketmaster/LiveNation have to stop charging so much because they think (rationalize?) that "market forces" make these prices ok. Just because you can charge a particular price doesn't necessarily mean that you should charge it. (I wish the band would be a bit more proactive about it too - bands like Radiohead and Pearl Jam don't let these kind of prices be charged...)

I'm still betting on a long tour. 😎

• Like 1

No , I think the US and Europe need to stop being greedy and hopefully NZ Australia Japan, SE Asia and South Africa may get a look in in 2019

On 5/6/2018 at 4:32 PM, allyson2008 said:

Each U2 show is such a sensory overload to me! I know it sounds greedy, but I feel like I have to see each tour at least twice just to take it all in. We went to the Tulsa show, and it was amazing! Now that I've watched other people's videos of the show, I realize how much I missed - either because I was looking at one part of the arena while the action was going on in a different part - or because GA is way too close to big screen to take in the full experience (no pun intended :P ).

I'm begging my husband to find a way to go to a second show and he just laughs at me and says "they'll be back after they finish the European dates."

What do you all think? Will they be coming back? Personally, I think not.

1 minute ago, doctornickriviera said:

No , I think the US and Europe need to stop being greedy and hopefully NZ Australia Japan, SE Asia and South Africa may get a look in in 2019

It doesn't have to be an either/or situation - both can happen. My intuition says "yes"...which is only slightly more accurate than a "magic 8-ball". B)

I sure hope they do another U.S. leg in 2019.  Not counting on it, but hopeful.  If not, it could be a long time before we see them in the U.S. again after this.  One show down for me this tour and one to go, and I'm going to savor every minute of that second one.....

7 hours ago, james busick said:

I sure hope they do another U.S. leg in 2019.  Not counting on it, but hopeful.  If not, it could be a long time before we see them in the U.S. again after this.  One show down for me this tour and one to go, and I'm going to savor every minute of that second one.....

Another reason I think they will be back is that I think that they think their touring here is "therapy", as it were, for the country right now - kind of "concert reassurance" that everything will eventually be OK.

I appreciate it. :POP_Heart_02:

I reckon there will be a big tour down under a few years off then a zootv achtung baby 30th anniversary tour.

If you would have asked me prior to the 2015 tour, I would have said yes.  Historically, U2 tend to tour first leg in the US, followed by a second leg in Europe, a return to the US for a third leg, and then a fourth leg with rest of world dates (often South America, Australia/New Zealand, and Japan).  ZooTV, PopMart, Elevation and Vertigo all followed this pattern.  360 broke it somewhat by starting in Europe and then traveling to the US, but it did then do a second swing through Europe and finally a return to the US. 

But the 2015 kinda broke precedent by doing one leg in the US, followed by one leg in Europe, and then calling it quits.  And then, the JT17 tour didn't conform to precedent either (though that was more expected given the unusual nature of the shows).  So I don't think there's any way to know with any certainty if this tour will follow their historical pattern or the I&E 2015 tour pattern.

But as has been noted, sales are way down on the US dates compared to previous tours.  Some think it's over-saturation (U2 touring three out of four years when historically they tend to come around only once every four or five years), and some think it's the extraordinarily high prices being charged this time; still others think it's a combination of both.  But whatever the reason, that shows normally expected to sell out instantly didn't may dampen enthusiasm among promoters for bringing them back.

I just think it's too early to say at this point.

I could see them doing Australia, New Zealand, and Japan early next year, then maybe South America. If they could hold off until the early part of 2020 for another U.S. leg, there would be a bigger demand (and maybe our credit cards will have recovered by then...).

A new poster just reminded me of another reason that I think they will be coming back to North America (and also, IMHO, go "big" on this tour, i.e., worldwide) - think of all the cities that they aren't playing on this leg.

Do we all really think that on this tour they aren't going to play in:

Toronto

Denver

Phoenix

New Orleans

Houston

Dallas

Pittsburgh

Cleveland

Minneapolis

Detroit

...among many, many others?

I just don't see it. IMHO, they will be back here at some point. I'm right or I'm not. 😄

• Like 1

On 5/7/2018 at 1:50 PM, dmway said:

I think the cost is the main drag in some markets - Ticketmaster/LiveNation have to stop charging so much because they think (rationalize?) that "market forces" make these prices ok. Just because you can charge a particular price doesn't necessarily mean that you should charge it. (I wish the band would be a bit more proactive about it too - bands like Radiohead and Pearl Jam don't let these kind of prices be charged...)

I'm still betting on a long tour. 😎

Amen on Radiohead and Pearl Jam...Two shows I'm seeing inside a few months in Boston.  The powers at be totally botched this tour/ticketing.  Permanant damage done inmo...normally, you'd easily see a third leg next spring in all the US secondary markets, but there's zero chance now...I don't think they wanna play cities where they can barely sell 1 night and loose money on production costs.  We've hit peak u2 folks, time for them to go away and dream up whatever IT is they have time left to dream up again.....looking forward to this Thurs and Fri though!

I agree with Radiohead and Pearl Jam.  Radiohead is $95 and both nights sold out in Chicago, I believe.  I was going to go see Pearl Jam but they are playing Wrigley Field and that's a very frustrating venue for a concert.  I was tempted.  The seats are so far away from the stage.

I went to both shows in Chicago.  There were only a couple sections, each night, that had empty seats.  I counted a total of six empty rows.  The rest ended up selling.  A lot of them were discounted sales.  Many of them were Citibank seats nobody bought or those silver/platinum packages.  I asked the box office and they said both shows sold very well.  My hope is that people are not willing to pay for any artist charging hundreds of dollars for one show.  Pink is $250 in a new arena in Milwaukee.  I love her but that is insane; not to mention that many shows are now going on sale over a year before the actual show.

My gut tells me this is it for North America.  I hope I'm wrong.  As much as I love Achtung Baby-I'd rather see them do SOE for more legs.

Posted (edited)

Well

On 5/21/2018 at 11:21 PM, dmway said:

A new poster just reminded me of another reason that I think they will be coming back to North America (and also, IMHO, go "big" on this tour, i.e., worldwide) - think of all the cities that they aren't playing on this leg.

Do we all really think that on this tour they aren't going to play in:

Toronto

Denver

Phoenix

New Orleans

Houston

Dallas

Pittsburgh

Cleveland

Minneapolis

Detroit

...among many, many others?

I just don't see it. IMHO, they will be back here at some point. I'm right or I'm not. 😄

Well they aren’t playing in Australia, New Zealand, Asia, South America, Asia, and in Europe no Scottish or Welsh dates, no Birmingham, only a few dates in the whole of France, Italy and Germany. What makes America special? It also looks like sales have been fairly slow compared to previous tours? Also few fans are under 40. No big radio hit in over a decade and a dwindling mainstream following. 

This tour has been overpriced leading to decreased demand. Last year for the JT tour I got seats at twickenham through the presale. They were crap and overpriced. With a limited view. There were only 2 dates in the whole of the UK in an inaccessible venue unless you live in London or Surrey.. I will never go to twickenham for a concert again. Rubbish venue for music, but great for Rugby. No way to treat subscribers imo. I’ve gone GA this tour as we are not taking our daughter.

what I really hope is that as U2 are approaching the end of their 10 year contract with Livenation, they show some kahunas and renegotiate any future live deals for the benefits of their fans. I doubt it will happen, but I hope I’m wrong. 

It is also hot on the heels of Innocence and experience and the JT tours. There are only so many people who want to see them every time they tour. Tickets are still available for the Mainland UK shows( there are only 4) but the tickets available are at silly prices.

I will be surprised and disappointed if they revisit North America yet ignore Australia Japan etc.

Edited by doctornickriviera

1 hour ago, doctornickriviera said:

what I really hope is that as U2 are approaching the end of their 10 year contract with Livenation, they show some kahunas and renegotiate any future live deals for the benefits of their fans. I doubt it will happen, but I hope I’m wrong. 

I agree doctornickriviera What I would like to see is U2 ditching Live Nation/Ticketmaster/Seatwave/Guy O Seary at the end of the current contract and bring it all back home.  To me it often feels like they have sold out us fans to some extent with this contract.  Having said that I still can't tun my back on them.

• Like 1

And I haven’t turned my back on them either. And Live Nation are exploiting exactly that. Many however have and I hope the band recognise that.

When you sign a deal with the Devil you never win.

• Like 1

Well

Well they aren’t playing in Australia, New Zealand, Asia, South America, Asia, and in Europe no Scottish or Welsh dates, no Birmingham, only a few dates in the whole of France, Italy and Germany. What makes America special? It also looks like sales have been fairly slow compared to previous tours? Also few fans are under 40. No big radio hit in over a decade and a dwindling mainstream following. 

This tour has been overpriced leading to decreased demand. Last year for the JT tour I got seats at twickenham through the presale. They were crap and overpriced. With a limited view. There were only 2 dates in the whole of the UK in an inaccessible venue unless you live in London or Surrey.. I will never go to twickenham for a concert again. Rubbish venue for music, but great for Rugby. No way to treat subscribers imo. I’ve gone GA this tour as we are not taking our daughter.

It is also hot on the heels of Innocence and experience and the JT tours. There are only so many people who want to see them every time they tour. Tickets are still available for the Mainland UK shows( there are only 4) but the tickets available are at silly prices.

I will be surprised and disappointed if they revisit North America yet ignore Australia Japan etc.

Plus they have been on Tour since about 2015 and I imagine they need a rest!

2 minutes ago, dermo said:

I agree doctornickriviera What I would like to see is U2 ditching Live Nation/Ticketmaster/Seatwave/Guy O Seary at the end of the current contract and bring it all back home.  To me it often feels like they have sold out us fans to some extent with this contract.  Having said that I still can't tun my back on them.

I'll start with the point of commonality. I have always hated it once we learned they had signed with LiveNation. I knew things would eventually become more distant and corporate - completely unlike the experience when Paul McGuinness was managing. I want them (i.e., LiveNation) to go away too; I just fear that they won't.

Also, having now seen some shows, my thinking on what they will do after Europe has evolved. (I'll save those thoughts until later.)

With your first bit, I agree with most of it. We here and all U2 fans worldwide would love and prefer every tour to be planned and executed in a completely egalitarian fashion. However, with I&E and now E&I, egalitarianism doesn't seem to be part of the algorithm for deciding where and how often to play. (They did a bit better with the JT anniversary tour in that Central and South America got shows, but still no Pacific Rim.)

I was living in the UK when U2 underplayed there for U2360 (only 5 shows for the whole tour), but that was the fault of the FA's not allowing them to use Premier League and Championship pitches then (thus, Sheffield was one of the 4 UK cities to get a show - the fifth show was Wembley getting 2). So, I know what you're talking about. Twickenham is entirely too big for concerts - if you aren't close, not only are you far away, you're VERY far away.

The other points you raised are a mixed bag: there were plenty of people under 40 at the shows I saw (lots of parents bringing children AND older children treating their parents to shows - I saw that last year too). Having a big radio hit I don't think is something they care about much anymore - if they have one, they have one; if they don't, they don't seems to be their mindset (if it weren't, how would you explain their last 3 albums - personally, I'm glad they are eschewing singles). 

The tickets being overpriced is absolutely true. However, this is a problem with the concert industry in general. As someone quoted from one of my earlier posts, I always appreciate it when bands go out of their way to be sure that tickets are affordable (e.g., Radiohead and Pearl Jam). Pre-LiveNation, U2 was like that too; I hope they return to their former mindset someday.

• Upvote 1

I think a point everyone is missing is that the extremely poor set list that never changes helped to kill the enthusiasm for this tour.   I hope they take sometime off before coming back.