Sign in to follow this  
kitemaster

Change the Set List

Posted (edited)

Why does U2 feel they have play the same set list in both shows in the same city ? Don't they know most diehard fans will go to both shows ? San Jose got identical set lists and I am sure Vegas will also. Why do they fell they need to play I Will Follow, Pride and Sunday Bloody Sunday ON EVERY TOUR AT EVERY SHOW  ? Song for Someone should be played as well as Landlady and Little Things. If you want to play classics then Bad, Streets and All I Want is You would work much better. Also bring back the Fly, Mysterious Ways and Wild Horses. Raised by Wolves and American Soul should be dropped.

Edited by kitemaster
  • Like 1

They will not drop American soul at all this tour. And that is good, song has a good energy. 

I agree, they should drop SBS for this tour, although it makes sense to be followed by RBW.

As for I Will Follow, perhaps alternate with Electric Co, Another time or Stories for boys would be a good idea.

I agree with Horses...can't believe they dropped it after first show :(

Totally agree.  This is a poor setlist, at least for me.  I saw San Jose 1, and I had planed to see them in LA as well but after seeing the show I'm probably going to skip LA.  Its a travesty they aren't playing Little Things or Landlady or Summer of Love.  Glad they put Red Flag Day into the set though I didnt get to see it. Wild Horses one of my favorite U2 songs ever, and of course they dropped it from the setlist.  San Jose 1 was my least favorite U2 show ever - and I have seen them literally dozens of times all over the world.  And, I really like the new album - they're just not playing the best songs off it.  

If the band was ultimately unwilling to play two different setlists on the 2015 tour - after the official press release and promotional materials all emphasized that ticket buyers should purchase tickets to both nights, as two different shows would be performed - I think there's a less than zero chance that this will happen on a tour when no such announcement was made.

Agree with this. Would much prefer Little things, SOL & landlady to American Soul or YTBTAM. Also to drop all the JT songs is fair enough but to keep SBS, Pride, Elevation & BD which were all played to death is bit boring. The SOI section may be important to the narrative of the set but the songs just aren't very interesting. 

The show is no longer just the music, its the visuals as well. For them to change anything, especially anything up until the end would mean they would have to change the sequence of the visuals.  

Couldn't agree more with changing around the set list with multiple shows in one city. Many people are going both nights, so a little variation would be nice.  They have more than enough songs that are considered popular to draw from that would not alienate the casual fans.  Also, would like to hear The Showman at one of the two shows in LA.

For me, not changing the setlist by at least 3 songs when you play multiple shows in a city is a disgrace and is disrespecting your hardcore fans. The money and organisation involved in going to more than one show is out of love of this band and they can't even have the decency to acknowledge that. This will be the last tour I go to multiple shows and I'm sure thousands of other fans will feel the same.

I don't accept the excuse the songs incorporate the visuals, if that is the case then make parts of the show without visuals !! Simple.

Ie tour had a nice variation , rotating an early slot and the 2 acoustic slots. Plus also different closer in the encore. It is not that difficult to do.

The five shows I saw on ie tour last time, I saw a total of 32 songs and only 21 were the same at all five shows !!!!!!

The setlists are built around the narrative theme of the lyrics and visuals. In this show, SBS, Pride, and I Will Follow are key parts of the show in terms of the story being told. Changing some of the setlists, and adding more variety, where they have multiple shows would be great - for example, RFD, Wild Horses, etc - would be lovely, but only in songs that aren't a key part of the narrative. It is quite frustrating that they work up a new song (Zoo Station, Magnificent, Satellite Of Love, Two Hearts, Crystal Ballroom, Miracle Drug, Lucifers Hands, The Troubles) and play them about 1 show in 20 and some only once. 

1 hour ago, alanelise said:

For me, not changing the setlist by at least 3 songs when you play multiple shows in a city is a disgrace and is disrespecting your hardcore fans. The money and organisation involved in going to more than one show is out of love of this band and they can't even have the decency to acknowledge that. This will be the last tour I go to multiple shows and I'm sure thousands of other fans will feel the same.

I don't accept the excuse the songs incorporate the visuals, if that is the case then make parts of the show without visuals !! Simple.

Ie tour had a nice variation , rotating an early slot and the 2 acoustic slots. Plus also different closer in the encore. It is not that difficult to do.

The five shows I saw on ie tour last time, I saw a total of 32 songs and only 21 were the same at all five shows !!!!!!

If fans choose to go to more than one show, especially knowing there isnt going to be much variation, then its on them really. One show a tour is enough for me. It doesnt make me less of a fan than someone who goes to 10 shows.  If you read the interview with Willie Williams, he said there wont be that much variation because of the visuals and the storyline. 

Drove out to Vegas for N2, have a ticket for L.A. N2, and will buy one for N1, but Only if there is a ticket price drop, which still hasn't occurred.

Taking a vacation back east in June, and could alter my itinerary a bit to be in Philly for N2.  Given the lack of any real difference in the setlists so far, I'm probably not going to bother.  Obviously U2 is being pretty upfront about the fact the songs are going to remain 95%+ the same for every show on the tour, and while it would be great to see them again, it would not be $100+ great.  The ticket prices are just too high to justify paying them multiple times, for essentially the same experience, and one which if I really wanted to, I could also follow to a certain extent on Periscope over the next few months.

Would not be surprised to see more empty seats in the lesser markets as the tour continues, since without people traveling to cities outside their own, these venues will have a hard time selling out to locals willing to pay the high ticket prices, which pretty much top off at $330+ in every market, big or small.

Posted (edited)

I saw both nights in Vegas, and will admit it was disappointing to get virtually the same setlist both nights; but, since I was in GA the first night and then the nosebleed section the next, I can say I really did enjoy the difference in perspective and feel like it was worth the money and effort to see both shows.  That’s just me though.  Would I have gone for a third night?  No way.

Ah hell, who am I kidding?  Of course I would!

Edited by AMBERBOCK
  • Like 3

In fact Vegas 2 gave us one less song that Vegas 1, and nothing new from one night to the other. I admit I was disappointed by that.

The shows themselves were awesome.

This is the last tour where I will purchase tickets to multiple nights.  Between the cost and the poor set lists it's just not worth it anymore.  I can't believe I'm saying this!!

I liked the night one setlist, a lot. But I'm pretty bummed out that they dropped Wild Horses after one night -- it sounded great. I also think pulling Song for Someone out of the Innocence section is a strange choice (and I was hoping to hear it since I didn't catch the 2015 tour).

I would agree at this point that buying tickets to multiple nights isn't a necessity for U2 at this point. Obviously it's a blast, but time and money are always limited. It's not quite worth it for me anymore. Better move would be to hit every leg that they're in your neck of the woods, because things can change significantly in those cases. 

Anyway, bring back Wild Horses and Song For Someone please :)

Posted (edited)

Here's my 2 cents...

I actually enjoy the first half of the show more than the second half, though I enjoy the whole show.  But if I could wave a magic wand, I'd make some big changes to the second part, and some small tweaks to the first part.

For the first part of the show.:

While "I Will Follow" is always great live, they have played it a lot in recent tours (sometimes swapping ElectricCo or Out of Control, which they could do this time as well).  To fit with the SoE theme, a mind-blowing choice out of left field would be "Another Time Another Place" instead.  Or, to really get the crowd going, play "11 O'Clock Tick Tock" before "The Ocean", just like how they used to end their shows in 1981.

I can live without "Beautiful Day", even though I don't mind it.  But make sure to play "Red Flag Day" at every show. 

My selfish set list for first part of show:

• Love is All We Have Left
  • The Blackout
  • Lights of Home
  • Red Flag Day
  • Gloria
  • Another Time Another Place / 11 O'Clock Tick Tock (alternate them each night)
  • The Ocean
  • Iris
  • Cedarwood Road
  • Sunday Bloody Sunday [not really necessary, but since they use it to help tell the story for Raised By Wolves, let it remain]
  • Raised By Wolves
  • Until the End of the World

For the second part:

Here is where I have more wishes as a die-hard fan, and would make some radical changes.   I respect the crowd-energizing choices of Elevation, Vertigo, and Desire to open the second set, as well as "Pride" to fire up the crowd, but I am tired of them all, and would make substitutions.  Here is a chance to inject some variability into Night One vs. Night Two set lists, to keep things interesting.  The two nights would differ significantly in the second half of the show, with half the content being variable.

I also respect the band's desire to perform their new songs (YTBTAM, GOOYOW, American Soul), but I don't care for American Soul, and would lose it, replacing it with "Please" or even "New Year's Day" (the full-on, full-length version) at that juncture in the show.  And to have more SoE content, play "The Showman", maybe switching off with "Invisible", which is also part of the SoI/SoE period.  I would drop "Acrobat" to its more powerful position, right before equally powerful "Love is Blindness" to close out the main set.

Add a couple of surprises that will go over well (the first four slots allow for that), and here's my selfish second part of the show:

• Electrical Storm / Magnificent (alternate them each night)
  • City of Blinding Lights / Vertigo (alternate them each night)
  • Crumbs from Your Table / Miracle Drug (alternate them each night)
  • Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses / Heartland (alternate them each night)
  • You're the Best Thing About Me
  • The Showman  (maybe alternate with "Invisible" each night?)
  • Get Out of Your Own Way
  • Please / New Year's Day (alternate them each night)
  • One / Pride (alternate them each night)
  • Acrobat
  • Love is Blindness

Closing with "Love is Blindness" (live version that we know and love) would be huge.

For the encore:

It extends the evening, but I would include four songs, and "Two Hearts" is long overdue to bring out in all its joyous glory.  Then get back to SoE, with "Little Things" followed by the two current closing songs.  I was thinking of having "Walk On" in there as well, but the more I played it over in my head, the more I realized it doesn't really fit anywhere in the SoE tour, and the night would be winding down already, so four songs are enough here:

• Two Hearts Beat as One [or else play on alternate nights in position of "Gloria" above, then have only a 3-song encore]
  • The Little Things That Give You Away
  • Love is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way
  • 13 (There is a Light)

So there you have my personal dream concert for the SoE tour.  A total of 27 numbers, 7 or 8 of which alternate between Nights One and Two.  10 songs from SoE.

They could start the show at 8:20 PM instead of 8:30 PM, to still end by 10:50 PM.  The first half would be stable and virtually unchanged from the actual set list, whereas the second part would be totally overhauled, and would have many alternating slots.  "True fans" would want to attend both versions (as is typically the case anyway).

Edited by Rich T.

Is "Love Rescue Me" gonna make an appearance on this tour. I think so with Bono making quotes from psalm 23.

I went to both show in SJ and Vegas.  I wish I knew they were not going to change the SETLIST. Throwing in one or two variable tunes every night is all I hoped for- why? Because out of 40 plus arena shows I've seen, they always changed it! Heck, in London in 2015, every show changed at least 4 songs every show. The big change for the second LV show was dumping my favorite E &  I song and not replacing it with anything.

Very disappointed in the SETLIST. Not going to add any shows this year. Going to Chicago to see the SF Giants at Wrigley and I might as well go U2 anyways. Come on, throw the multiple show fans a bone.

The main problem that I've been having with the setlist is that the encore is pretty anticlimactic and basically all ballad.  'One' obviously gets the crowd going and 'Love is Bigger than Anything' is great live, but concluding with '13' and Bono exiting from the opposite end from Larry/Adam/Edge as the music fades has to be the least excitement I've ever experienced (no pun intended) for a U2 finale.  It's a bold move to swap the tried and true '40' with a less soulful version of "Song for Someone" and a less interesting use of the "Ultraviolet" prop. 

Also YTBTAM is a great song (possibly the catchiest on new album), but maybe not the right choice to remix/acoustic as fans are still just getting to know it and want to rock out to it.  I think I'm the minority, but Summer of Love is the best song on the new album! 

All that said, LOVED the show, good mix of telling the ie story that they want to tell, throwing in a few classics (they'll never play enough Achtung Baby for me), understandably leaving out J Tree (although casual U2 fans will be disappointed), and the energy from the guys night in and night out with such a big, visual spectacle has to be appreciated!

Long time member, first time poster.

On 5/13/2018 at 11:47 PM, nyru2 said:

If fans choose to go to more than one show, especially knowing there isnt going to be much variation, then its on them really. One show a tour is enough for me. It doesnt make me less of a fan than someone who goes to 10 shows.  If you read the interview with Willie Williams, he said there wont be that much variation because of the visuals and the storyline. 

The point is the opposite, people have bought tickets to more than one show because they do play some different songs. Like they have done on every tour since Zoo TV tour.

I'm crossing my fingers that tonight they will change up LA N2 (for no other reason than I'd like them to, they haven't really proved to do so this tour so far in any significant way :lol:). 

Either way, I'm glad that they played Red Flag Day last night. I'd like some swapping out on the "e" stage honestly - that's a great spot to shake it up and it doesn't have to be so structured like most of the rest of the set (apart from Staring at the Sun/Pride connection).

Tonight is my last US show this tour (probably) - after this I have the long wait to October for Manchester N1/N2 so I'm going to enjoy the show no matter what.

4 hours ago, AlanScotland1 said:

The point is the opposite, people have bought tickets to more than one show because they do play some different songs. Like they have done on every tour since Zoo TV tour.

Heck, we were specifically instructed by the official channels - U2.com, Live Nation, Ticketmaster, and U2 press releases - to purchase tickets to two nights for the 2015 because Nights 1 and 2 would be completely different shows.  Then, after tickets were sold out, they changed their minds - but not before telling people that they should buy for both nights.

They played Elevation,Beautiful Day,Mysterious Ways and Ultraviolet to death on the JJ 2017 Tour. I would love to see them play Invisible, Song for Someone, The Little Things That Give You Away, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, Love and Peace and All Because of You more often. Its the Experience and Innocence Tour., so both the SOE and SOI albums should be highlighted. Stay away from the songs that were played night after night during the JJ 2017 Tour. People are coming to hear the band play the new and current songs. All that said, the fact that they are playing Acrobat for the first time ever is exciting. That song to me, is the best song off Achtung Baby.