SoCalU2Lover

Ticketmaster Is Really Holding Out Hope

Posted (edited)

Ticketmaster just refuses to lower the ticket prices on these shows.  They had no problem with last week's San Jose dates, but for some reason, they're holding the line on dropping prices for the L.A. dates.

We have tickets for Wednesday, but have been waiting for either a N1 Floor ticket release and/or price drop, like has happened for both SJ & Vegas, but not yet for L.A.

There are still 73 tickets remaining for L.A. N1 at the $330 level, and that number has hardly budged for the past week.  I guess they're hoping for some last minute surge of people who are somehow going to suddenly buy up these less desirable seats, even though they've had 6 months to do so already.  There are almost 350 tickets still left at the $81 through $175 levels.  Are they just going to pretend it's a sellout with all those empty seats?  I guess if they intend to hold a hard line on certain cities like L.A., they're willing to forego that potential revenue by letting them go unsold.

I'm not looking at N2, since I already have tickets, but when I checked it several days ago, there were even more unsold for that show.  And like N1, no price adjustment yet.  Just looked, and there are 168 tickets still unsold at the $330 price.  That's $55K+ in seats, plus the outrageous TM service charges probably add another $6K.  They're just going to leave that money on the table.  Must be nice to hold out for what is a year's salary for most people.

Edited by SoCalU2Lover

What an embarrassment for U2.  Can't even sell out opening night in Los Angeles.  Still approx. 700 Tickets available for tomorrow's show.

Looks like they're going to hold the line on their pricing.  That translates into at least $70K+ in unsold tickets, probably more considering there is about $25K alone in $330 seats still onsale.

That's what happens when you have greedy Live Nation charging $330 for upper level seats. U2 got the pricing all wrong for both i&e and e&i tours. Did they really think people would pay $330 to sit in nose bleeds seats ?

• Brilliant 1

Posted (edited)

Not sure why, but the number of $330 tickets for sale has actually increased.  A couple of sections got a bunch of seats available at that level, and there are now 105 tickets at $330 for sale.  Probably extra family & friend tickets that were not needed.  That's almost $35K in tickets, not including TM fees.  I count a total of 680 tickets in all still available with the show less than 24 hours away.

Edited by SoCalU2Lover

8 hours ago, SoCalU2Lover said:

What an embarrassment for U2.  Can't even sell out opening night in Los Angeles.  Still approx. 700 Tickets available for tomorrow's show.

Looks like they're going to hold the line on their pricing.  That translates into at least $70K+ in unsold tickets, probably more considering there is about $25K alone in $330 seats still onsale.

700 tickets left makes the show 96% sold. I doubt they’re too worried about the unsold tickets. Not saying that I agree with the pricing, but TM/LiveNation know exactly what they are doing. 

1 minute ago, james busick said:

700 tickets left makes the show 96% sold. I doubt they’re too worried about the unsold tickets. Not saying that I agree with the pricing, but TM/LiveNation know exactly what they are doing. 

I agree with you, but it's still short of a sellout, on opening night in L.A., and should be an embarrassment.  It certainly doesn't bode well for N2 at all, and I wonder when the last time was that they did not sell out an arena in L.A. for even 1 night.

9 minutes ago, SoCalU2Lover said:

I agree with you, but it's still short of a sellout, on opening night in L.A., and should be an embarrassment.  It certainly doesn't bode well for N2 at all, and I wonder when the last time was that they did not sell out an arena in L.A. for even 1 night.

Yeah, the lack of sold out shows for pretty much the entire US leg is surprising. Could be that this will be the last tour with multiple dates in more than a couple cities. Hoping for another US leg next year, but considering that they have toured here 3 of the last 4 years maybe it won’t happen. 

Posted (edited)

There are now 106 tickets available at the $330 level.  Thanks to U2 for saving me money on going to a 2nd L.A. show.  I know you obviously don't need the money, since you're willing to lose out on $35,000 of ticket sales from those seats alone, in addition to the hundreds of others at prices of $81 & up.  No worries, I'll probably see almost the identical set tomorrow night since you don't change it from night to night.

Edited by SoCalU2Lover

If I paid $330 for tickets then the prices dropped to some insanely cheap amount the week of show I’d be super pissed. 

Youre also accounting for said loss above via the $330 ea ticket price loss, not at an unknown lower price loss the difference of which may not be worth angering people who did pay the original price. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2018 at 11:42 PM, james busick said:

Yeah, the lack of sold out shows for pretty much the entire US leg is surprising. Could be that this will be the last tour with multiple dates in more than a couple cities. Hoping for another US leg next year, but considering that they have toured here 3 of the last 4 years maybe it won’t happen. 

If they come back with this tour-I hope hit Australia and NZ and Mexico and South America first.  End with a Zooropa type finish with the LN contract and come back with an adjusted show.  I doubt it's happening but here's hoping.  I don't think we'd see it for a couple years.

Edited by Manohlive

They aren't selling out because the IE tour had so many more shows; TJT30 and now this in three years; as stated above.  They've almost completely sold out Europe.  There are a lot of great shows touring America this Summer plus all the festivals.  There are many other options.  This is more an acquired taste or should've gone to see TJT tour, from what I've heard part time fans here say.  They saw IE in Paris show on HBO.  TJT30 tour was so big here in America.  I know it was huge everywhere.  Everyone I know was clamoring for TJT and does not want to see this one so soon.

On 5/14/2018 at 1:18 PM, SoCalU2Lover said:

Both LA shows were sold out. What are you talking about?

lots of people seeing the poor setlist and deciding its not worth going last minuite

2 hours ago, phill pohl said:

lots of people seeing the poor setlist and deciding its not worth going last minuite

No, the shows were sold out... the problem was the traffic & parking situation at The Forum during both nights. It was messy outside!

And for the record, the setlist was amazing!

On 5/19/2018 at 11:38 AM, Arngrim said:

No, the shows were sold out... the problem was the traffic & parking situation at The Forum during both nights. It was messy outside!

And for the record, the setlist was amazing!

Gotta agree on the setlist. It was refreshing not to listen to TJT songs. At first I was dissapointed since Streets is probably their best live song but I did not miss it at all. New songs are awesome live, except YTBTAM, I wish they go full band with that one. Honestly, this is the best opening I've seen. Opening with Love/Blackout was great.

• Like 1