U2ITNOL

U2 playing SiriusXM show at Apollo Theater June 11th

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, dmway said:

Yes, I can confirm that - as I said earlier in the thread, I got to see The Police on their reunion tour when they played at the Apollo.

All the seats are good.

I saw Gorillaz there, great venue

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So here’s a query for the group: I need to come up with some reason(s) for missing work on Monday and part of the day Tuesday (we’re going to do an insane turnaround fly into NY on Sunday and flight out of NY Tuesday morning after the show). 

I’ve already taken some days off here and there for the tour opener etc. so I need to treat this one with a little care. 

Good excuses welcomed here if you have any. Points for realistic reasons for missing work vs. “I have to stay home because a taradactyl flew away with my car” 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, lynn_klein said:

They just played AOH at 7:25 but phone number isn't working, grrrrrr

Dang it! I’ve been listening all day (really since the broadcast started yesterday)but was getting my hair cut and had to take my headphones off! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sms_10 said:

Dang it! I’ve been listening all day (really since the broadcast started yesterday)but was getting my hair cut and had to take my headphones off! 

Same here, been listening since 10:30am.  So pissed the call wouldn't go through

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, lynn_klein said:

Same here, been listening since 10:30am.  So pissed the call wouldn't go through

I got an email from the U2 website and about had a heartattack! It was just an email saying we could enter in their giveaway for tickets to the Apollo and I’d already done that. ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, lukylsp said:

So here’s a query for the group: I need to come up with some reason(s) for missing work on Monday and part of the day Tuesday (we’re going to do an insane turnaround fly into NY on Sunday and flight out of NY Tuesday morning after the show). 

I’ve already taken some days off here and there for the tour opener etc. so I need to treat this one with a little care. 

Good excuses welcomed here if you have any. Points for realistic reasons for missing work vs. “I have to stay home because a taradactyl flew away with my car” 

That is a bit tricky. Would it be too much to ask what you do (generally - not detailed) and how far up the chain of command you are (or how much seniority you have, if that is more relevant)? I take it that you have used up (or, worse, don't have) "personal days"?

And, are you sure you don't want the joke ones just for the entertainment value? ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonder if the Terms and Conditions has a typo or what?  It says that the drawing is on 6/2. Even though it’s open until 6/3?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dmway said:

That is a bit tricky. Would it be too much to ask what you do (generally - not detailed) and how far up the chain of command you are (or how much seniority you have, if that is more relevant)? I take it that you have used up (or, worse, don't have) "personal days"?

And, are you sure you don't want the joke ones just for the entertainment value? ?

 

No, I haven’t used up all my days, that’s not it. I’m a VP and I’m having boss guilt for being out of the office here and there for a variety of reasons as of late (including following this band around!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, lukylsp said:

No, I haven’t used up all my days, that’s not it. I’m a VP and I’m having boss guilt for being out of the office here and there for a variety of reasons as of late (including following this band around!)

Say, “I’ve discovered a time machine that will take me back in time to see the Beatles at Shea Stadium.”  And then say “just kidding, but it’s the 2018 equivalent.”  Then give everyone a Bucket List Voucher for a day off for life-fulfilling purposes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, lukylsp said:

No, I haven’t used up all my days, that’s not it. I’m a VP and I’m having boss guilt for being out of the office here and there for a variety of reasons as of late (including following this band around!)

Forgive me for saying so, but it sounds to me like you're pretty much in the driver's seat here. :lol:

I think you need to remind yourself about the old military expression: RHIP - "rank has its privileges". The American leg of the tour is about to end, so this won't be continuing for much longer (although I think I remember your saying you may be seeing them in Europe too).

I understand the guilt - you care about being at work and doing a good job. But, have things at work been proceeding well enough in your absence? If so, just take the days off. You have earned your current position, and it has benefits that you deserve. This tour won't last forever, and...hey...it's The Apollo and it's U2 - this may not happen again.

My $0.02...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The queue to call came just after 7am CST but I still couldn’t get through. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's  a pity that the U2.COM draw for tickets is limited to US residents

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, dermo said:

It's a pity that the U2.COM draw for tickets is limited to US residents

That's most probably because of the size of the venue - it holds less than 2000 people. I think earlier in the thread, someone said it was around 1500.

I'm also willing to bet that there will most likely be an equivalent experience for European residents once the tour hits Europe that we here will not be eligible for. That happens often during their tours.

Edit after some more thought: I also don't think that U2, U2.com, LiveNation, anyone else connected to the band is the reason for this restriction as well. This is a SiriusXM-sponsored gig, so they would be the ones calling the shots over any of the rules. I'm actually a bit surprised that anyone from U2.com who is not a Sirius XM customer is able to have the opportunity to go to this at all - that means the band negotiated these seats for us here in advance of agreeing to play the show. That was quite nice of them to do.

Further, from SiriusXM's point of view, they sponsor these kind of shows in order to thank current members for being subscribers and, just as importantly, have the opportunity to hopefully expand their subscriber base. (That's also another reason why SiriusXM doesn't mind U2.com people who aren't already subscribers being there - perhaps afterward they would become customers.) I don't think that Sirius' service is available outside of North America, and perhaps not outside the continental US - that right there would be the source of the restriction.

 

Edited by dmway
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m curious to know if people who received notice that they will get tickets are from areas close to NYC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, lukylsp said:

No, I haven’t used up all my days, that’s not it. I’m a VP and I’m having boss guilt for being out of the office here and there for a variety of reasons as of late (including following this band around!)

If youre a VP then you have to go! Go for the rest of us who arent able to take time off work to go. Reasons for missing work, they dont need one really. I never provide one personally unless Im leaving abruptly for a family emergency.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dmway said:

That's most probably because of the size of the venue - it holds less than 2000 people. I think earlier in the thread, someone said it was around 1500.

I'm also willing to bet that there will most likely be an equivalent experience for European residents once the tour hits Europe that we here will not be eligible for. That happens often during their tours.

Edit after some more thought: I also don't think that U2, U2.com, LiveNation, anyone else connected to the band is the reason for this restriction as well. This is a SiriusXM-sponsored gig, so they would be the ones calling the shots over any of the rules. I'm actually a bit surprised that anyone from U2.com who is not a Sirius XM customer is able to have the opportunity to go to this at all - that means the band negotiated these seats for us here in advance of agreeing to play the show. That was quite nice of them to do.

Further, from SiriusXM's point of view, they sponsor these kind of shows in order to thank current members for being subscribers and, just as importantly, have the opportunity to hopefully expand their subscriber base. (That's also another reason why SiriusXM doesn't mind U2.com people who aren't already subscribers being there - perhaps afterward they would become customers.) I don't think that Sirius' service is available outside of North America, and perhaps not outside the continental US - that right there would be the source of the restriction.

 

On a rational level it's hard top disagree with your points but with regards to U2 rationality probably goes out the door for most of us on here!  Opportunities to see the band in this this kind of setting are few and far enough between so I am just expressing my, and probably some others, disappointment at not being able to enter the draw.  While it is a Sirius XM event, I find it hard to believe that they would dictate to the band to this extent as to who they can give their own assignment of tickets to.  In any event I am aware of at least one UK radio station competition that was giving away tickets to it.

Hopefully  they will put on something similar when thy come home.  Dublin would be fine but The National Opera House in Wexford (Snow Patrol played there recently so its not totally beyond the realms of possibility .... is it?!) would be really good for me.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, dermo said:

On a rational level it's hard top disagree with your points but with regards to U2 rationality probably goes out the door for most of us on here!  Opportunities to see the band in this this kind of setting are few and far enough between so I am just expressing my, and probably some others, disappointment at not being able to enter the draw.  While it is a Sirius XM event, I find it hard to believe that they would dictate to the band to this extent as to who they can give their own assignment of tickets to.  In any event I am aware of at least one UK radio station competition that was giving away tickets to it.

Hopefully  they will put on something similar when they come home.  Dublin would be fine but The National Opera House in Wexford (Snow Patrol played there recently so its not totally beyond the realms of possibility .... is it?!) would be really good for me.

Oh, sure - I get the disappointment. For example, when they did the filming for "The Blackout" in the Netherlands last summer, I would have loved to have gone to that. I can't remember if it was expressly forbidden for me to apply for that, but it would have been next to impossible for me to have pulled that off logistically. There are events all the time over many tours that I would have loved to attend, but couldn't (due to location) or was not allowed to apply.

I can assure you that a sponsor for a show can set all kinds of conditions for a show, even ones that the band would prefer not to exist. You could say there's no show without the band - that's true; what's equally true is that, without a corporate sponsor, this show wouldn't be happening either. The UK radio station that you alluded to must have some kind of corporate connection to SiriusXM - otherwise, they wouldn't have access to the tickets. Hopefully, there will be an Irish one who has the same connection.

I do think you have every right to complain about the condition, and I also agree that you ought to be allowed to apply. But, the band and their management aren't in a position to do much about it.

Ultimately, I agree with your venting. Heck, I miss the days when Paul McGuinness was running things instead of LiveNation, but unfortunately, those days aren't coming back either. I hope they play special shows in Dublin and elsewhere in Europe.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I asked Bono and Edge to do a show three years ago, it was a sincere request.  I would love to be there...here's hoping that it will be a special moment for everyone lucky enough to attend.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, dmway said:

Oh, sure - I get the disappointment. For example, when they did the filming for "The Blackout" in the Netherlands last summer, I would have loved to have gone to that. I can't remember if it was expressly forbidden for me to apply for that, but it would have been next to impossible for me to have pulled that off logistically. There are events all the time over many tours that I would have loved to attend, but couldn't (due to location) or was not allowed to apply.

I can assure you that a sponsor for a show can set all kinds of conditions for a show, even ones that the band would prefer not to exist. You could say there's no show without the band - that's true; what's equally true is that, without a corporate sponsor, this show wouldn't be happening either. The UK radio station that you alluded to must have some kind of corporate connection to SiriusXM - otherwise, they wouldn't have access to the tickets. Hopefully, there will be an Irish one who has the same connection.

I do think you have every right to complain about the condition, and I also agree that you ought to be allowed to apply. But, the band and their management aren't in a position to do much about it.

Ultimately, I agree with your venting. Heck, I miss the days when Paul McGuinness was running things instead of LiveNation, but unfortunately, those days aren't coming back either. I hope they play special shows in Dublin and elsewhere in Europe.

 

Yes I have to agree with you the Live Nation deal has not been good for fans.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, sms_10 said:

The queue to call came just after 7am CST but I still couldn’t get through. ?

Is this the only time its been played today?  Feel like I've been listening for hours and haven't heard it

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, lynn_klein said:

Is this the only time its been played today?  Feel like I've been listening for hours and haven't heard it

 

I heard the clip where it tells you when to call and what number to call about 45 minutes ago. I hope that wasn't the actual cue to call because I missed it then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, soph123 said:

I heard the clip where it tells you when to call and what number to call about 45 minutes ago. I hope that wasn't the actual cue to call because I missed it then. 

That wasn't it, its when they play the song.  Now we just need the number to work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They played it around 1pm PST. I have tried to call in a few times but never get through. Man, I’d give anything to see this show. But what AWESOME songs they’ve been playing. My kids are sick of me saying “I can’t believe they’re playing THIS!”  Why has this never been a permanent XM channel? Incredible three days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.