pop1

Please Change The Set List U2 Shows Are Very Boring

5 hours ago, beppecuoco said:

Totally agree with you (I'm going to see 10 shows, unfortunately didn't find tiks for Copenhagen)

10!!!!! Oh my - lucky you.  Every time they tour I think.....well, what if it’s their last tour.  I never tire of it.  Enjoy it - you’ll be so chilled by the last one.

On 5/27/2018 at 5:26 PM, Rich T. said:

Yeah.  Sometimes we forget that some U2 "fans" are merely people who enjoyed their big hits the 80s and early 90s, and want that to be the show.  They should have gone to the JT Tour last year, and would have gotten exactly what they wanted.  This year U2 is back to being U2 in the moment, which is their way.  I liked the show in San Jose so much that I couldn't get enough, and went to Vegas to get my fill.  Probably will do one in Europe in October if I can put it together as part of a trip I'm planning.

I too liked both shows in SJ. Funny, I was thinking about trying to catch a show in Europe this fall. I've never seen them outside the States and it is on my my bucket list. I just have no idea how to do it. I'll be traveling to Ireland, France and Italy. I'd love to get tickets, but think I'll have to buy them from resellers. Unless there is another way.

A U2 concert is more like going to a play. It's going to be more or less the same because they're telling a specific story. It's not a jam session where they play whatever strikes their fancy at the moment. Changes to the setlist happen slowly and methodically. It's perfectly legitimate to not like it, but don't fault the band for being what/who they've always (or at least since the 90s) been. 

• Like 1

U2 have been playing fairly standard, non-rotating setlists since 1978. 

Apart from Lovetown, every tour has followed a basic format cemented early in the tour where about 85-90% of the set is the same every night.  

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but :

1) The vast majority of people do only go to one show per tour 

AND 

2) Now that I have seen the show I get it more than before. More than ever before this show is about telling a story, and they happen to have landed on a set that does a phenomenal job of telling said story. 

I'm sure there will still be some minor tweaks along the way though. 

3 hours ago, GeorgiaGirl said:

A U2 concert is more like going to a play. It's going to be more or less the same because they're telling a specific story. It's not a jam session where they play whatever strikes their fancy at the moment. Changes to the setlist happen slowly and methodically. It's perfectly legitimate to not like it, but don't fault the band for being what/who they've always (or at least since the 90s) been. 

Just now realized you had already said what was trying to say, and you said it better! 😀 

2 minutes ago, danknapp said:

Just now realized you had already said what was trying to say, and you said it better! 😀 

Aw thanks! You bring up some good points too though! And I agree that this setlist tells a great story. I was so impressed with it in Atlanta on Monday (my first of two--I'm going to Boston 1 as well). I can't wait to see it again and get more out of it. I've already checked out the book Bono throws into the crowd (or at least the one he did in Atlanta) from the library. LOL

15 minutes ago, GeorgiaGirl said:

Aw thanks! You bring up some good points too though! And I agree that this setlist tells a great story. I was so impressed with it in Atlanta on Monday (my first of two--I'm going to Boston 1 as well). I can't wait to see it again and get more out of it. I've already checked out the book Bono throws into the crowd (or at least the one he did in Atlanta) from the library. LOL

That's awesome regarding the book! As far as set list is concerned, I do think people got used to greater than usual variety on 2015, and it's hard not to think of this as part 2 of that tour... BUT... They're trying to accomplish something a bit different this time around. We'll see how things look by the time your second show comes around. 

• Like 1

Ultimately, and I don't mean this to sound as negative as it probably will, but... before the 2015, U2's official website, U2's promoters, as well as Live Nation, and Ticketmaster, all told people that they should purchase tickets to both nights in the same city because the band would be playing two different shows.  After the tickets were all sold, the band then walked this back, and did not play two different shows.

If we couldn't count on U2 to play two different shows on a tour when they actually sold tickets on the premise that they would, I think it's probably not realistic to expect them to play two different shows on a tour where they made no such promise prior to it beginning.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, 504jumper said:

I too liked both shows in SJ. Funny, I was thinking about trying to catch a show in Europe this fall. I've never seen them outside the States and it is on my my bucket list. I just have no idea how to do it. I'll be traveling to Ireland, France and Italy. I'd love to get tickets, but think I'll have to buy them from resellers. Unless there is another way.

If you can make it to Milan in October, there are still tickets for the fourth night.  But you can find a way to score tickets at any venue, especially on a second night.  I'm thinking of Manchester Night Two (still tickets for that one too).

Edited by Rich T.

Milan or Manchester.....now let me consider that one for a while.....

1 hour ago, Rich T. said:

If you can make it to Milan in October, there are still tickets for the fourth night.  But you can find a way to score tickets at any venue, especially on a second night.  I'm thinking of Manchester Night Two (still tickets for that one too).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, doctornickriviera said:

Milan or Manchester.....now let me consider that one for a while.....

Funny!   But for me it has strictly to do with timing.

5 hours ago, Rich T. said:

Thanks, Rich. How would I buy tickets for a sold out show, say Dublin?

6 hours ago, 504jumper said:

In the US, a few tickets are typically withheld until the day of show.  However, if I were you I would use this website forum to see if anyone has Dublin tickets to sell.  They might not yet, but some people probably will, starting the week of the show, all the way up to the morning of the show.   You can also just show up in the GA line that morning, and see if anyone has an extra ticket because of a friend not being able to make it.  It happens often enough to make it likely.  I've never not been able to get into any given show in the past, if I really wanted it.   But hedge your bets and avoid Night One shows in any city including Dublin.  There's more demand on Night One.

• Like 1

Good to know; much appreciated. I will do that. It would be great to lock up a pair of tickets before I land, but if it takes meeting up with the seller on the day of the show, no problem.

Thanks again, Rich. I think we've communicated before.  My name is Rich, too.

Rich H. 

They have never been one to mix up the setlists, too much is programmed for there to be room to be spontaneous.

Springsteen can do a 4-night stand and play 60+ different songs, they need to emulate their idol a bit more imho

1 hour ago, 504jumper said:

Good to know; much appreciated. I will do that. It would be great to lock up a pair of tickets before I land, but if it takes meeting up with the seller on the day of the show, no problem.

Thanks again, Rich. I think we've communicated before.  My name is Rich, too.

Rich H. 

Yep - we "Riches" have to stick together!  🙂   Good luck, but I know you'll be OK - it just takes persistence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lynn_klein said:

They have never been one to mix up the setlists, too much is programmed for there to be room to be spontaneous.

Springsteen can do a 4-night stand and play 60+ different songs, they need to emulate their idol a bit more imho

Agreed.  In theory they can ditch the lights and the images for 30 minutes, and just frickin' play any songs they want, even if Edge has to forego some special effects.   I know this hasn't been their approach, but it would be refreshing as the tour goes on.  Won't happen though.

• Like 2

On 6/1/2018 at 12:14 AM, 504jumper said:

Have you looked on U2 start.com as well?  You can sign up to get email updates about tickets for particular dates you are interested in as fans list them to sell or swap.   All face value - none of this scalping malarkey.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Heather S said:

Have you looked on U2 start.com as well?  You can sign up to get email updates about tickets for particular dates you are interested in as fans list them to sell or swap.   All face value - none of this scalping malarkey.

Thank you, Heather. I've heard of it, but haven't visited the ticket-selling portion of the site. I will definitely check it now. You nailed my biggest concern--scalping. I'm a guy on a budget and sometimes those ticket prices (like n StubHub) are out of my reach. 

On 6/1/2018 at 1:40 PM, Rich T. said:

Agreed.  In theory they can ditch the lights and the images for 30 minutes, and just frickin' play any songs they want, even if Edge has to forego some special effects.   I know this hasn't been their approach, but it would be refreshing as the tour goes on.  Won't happen though.

I second that emotion. It would be so awesome to see two shows and they are both so different. I caught both shows in San Jose, and while they were both pretty awesome, it would been spectacular if they really varied the setlists.

One of things I read was that they also like to keep the sets similar for when they record a show for the DVD. On that night, they want to be at there most practiced. I'm not sure if that is the right word or not, but I can understand the logic behind that.

While I do agree with you, I think that they are telling a story through this setlist. Perhaps if they were to sit down and regroup to find alternate songs that could also tell the story they could switch things around. Otherwise, I doubt it will change very much. It doesn't change that I'm still happy to see them perform!

they mixed  it up  a lot  more on  last indoor tour....if they could do it then,  they  ruddy  can  do  it now  for   this  tour  too.

Posted (edited)
On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 4:14 PM, 504jumper said:

For the i+e Tour I bought tickets through Seatwave for Dublin night 4 and while they were smooth to work with I don't endorse a re-seller offically as my official statement here :)

BUT they didn't post tickets to the US in time for my flight departure AND tickets dropped via Ticketmaster in the meantime so I grabbed a pair of those and asked Seatwave to refund me because they didn't make the shipping deadline. Which they shockingly did.

So moral of the story is, if you're willing to book a trip to Dublin without tickets in hand, wait for a ticket drop closer to show date.

Edited by lukylsp
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, lukylsp said:

For the i+e Tour I bought tickets through Seatwave for Dublin night 4 and while they were smooth to work with I don't endorse a re-seller offically as my official statement here :)

BUT they didn't post tickets to the US in time for my flight departure AND tickets dropped via Ticketmaster in the meantime so I grabbed a pair of those and asked Seatwave to refund me because they didn't make the shipping deadline. Which they shockingly did.

So moral of the story is, if you're willing to book a trip to Dublin without tickets in hand, wait for a ticket drop closer to show date.

Thanks, lukylsp, I'll definitely keep that in mind. I've heard from a few other Zootopians that tickets drop like that. It's a little unnerving to head to Dublin without tickets in hand, but I'm trying to keep the faith. I don't endorse re-sellers, either.