pop1

Please Change The Set List U2 Shows Are Very Boring

On 5/24/2018 at 1:26 PM, pop1 said:

Why does U2 play the same set list in back to back nights in the same city ?

This comes up for every tour they do, though, so I guess why do the fans think the band is going to change every time, despite the fact they never have before?

It is a heavily theatrical show, with lots of moving parts and lighting cues/effects/etc., so there is little wiggle room as a result. Whether people think that is a worthwhile trade-off or not, the band have seemingly bought into this approach for a long time.

I think the beauty of this approach is that if I see this show in Philadelphia (which I am going to), and a friend say it anywhere else, we can talk about it like we had the same experience. It is like reading a novel and talking about it afterward.

Whereas if I mention seeing Pearl Jam in concert, it is more about Did they play this? Did they play that? since there is no narrative thread or consistent experience night to night.

I solved the issue of not being sure if I want to see the same show on multiple nights very easily. I only bought a ticket to one night. Any die-hard fans who opt to go both nights should know what they are signing on to at this point.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

It's hard to disagree with that.

I think we had a bigger case in 2015, when the band said in advance of tickets going onsale that fans should buy tickets to both nights, as there would actually be two different setlists being performed.  The band went back on that announcement only after the tickets were sold.  So I think fans who bought tickets to both nights in 2015 may have done so because the band promised two different shows, and I think those fans have a reasonable case about being disappointed then. 

No such promises were made for this current tour.  Historically, the band has rotated a handful of songs from night to night when performing in the same city - when U2 did play eight shows in NYC in 2015, on average, they changed about four to six songs from night to night while maintaining the basic structure of the show.  By comparison on 2018, so far, U2 are basically changing one song per night for multiple night stands, so that is less than what they've done historically.  That's also on par with what they did during the JT2017 tour; the thing is, because JT2017 was such a special occasion show with a unique focus on one specific album, I don't think fans expected that to carry over to this next tour.  I think most fans who are used to attending multiple shows on the same tour were expecting that 4-5 song variety that's held true in the past, and weren't expecting it to be just one song being rotated.  I can understand being disappointed by that.  If your expectation was that there would be 10 songs different from night to night, that was probably never realistic, but I don't think it was unrealistic to anticipate there being about four songs changed from to night in the same city to another.

Edited by vertigojds
  • Brilliant 1

I would argue, though, that the way the stages and barricage are configured definitely begs for the show to be seen at least twice from different vantage points.  There really is no single "perfect" spot to view the entire show; the screen is best viewed from one angle, the "e" stage from another, and the main stage from another one still.  So, to me it's well worth going twice to really take in everything the show has to offer.  You will definitely see things the second night that you didn't see the first.

• Upvote 2
  • Brilliant 1

I like to think I am pretty connected with the band.  I've never once heard (outside of internet rumor) they were going to play two different shows when they played ina city more than once.  Logistically, that would be a nightmare for the band to pull off something like that.

As for those complaining about the set list, the band did say in Rolling Stone they were going to ditch the typical fan favorite songs for this tour in favor of the newer stuff so they can complete the iE story.  As The Edge said, if you wanted the popular stuff, the tour for you was The Joshua Tree Tour.

Treated myself to a VIP Party Package for Boston 2 and cannot wait!

• Like 1

On 6/16/2018 at 5:06 PM, StinkyJay said:

I've never once heard (outside of internet rumor) they were going to play two different shows when they played ina city more than once.

For the I&E tour, this was more than just an internet rumor.  The official press release, the official U2.com website, and the LiveNation and Ticketmaster pages, from December 2014, all contained verbiage from the band and promoters about there being two different shows from night one to night two.  Sometime around April 2015 (several months after all tickets were sold out), the band gave an extensive interview to The New York Times and it was mentioned within that article that the two night idea had been abandoned in rehearsals.  That article then stated that instead, the band would perform the same Act I set each night, and that the Act II (post-intermission) set would vary wildly from night to night - which also did not happen.

So that was a bit more than internet rumor.

What apparently happened, as per the Times article in 2015, was that the band developed two different setlists to perform on the I&E stage, but then became concerned that fans would be upset and disappointed if they only attended one show, and missed hearing their favorite hits that were instead played on the other night.

I don't think it's logistically difficult to perform two different setlists on back to back nights - plenty of other artists do this as a matter of routine.  The band simply got cold feet and decided not to do it.  In and of itself, there's nothing wrong with that decision.  But I think it was clumsy and misguided that the idea of there being two different shows was used to drive sales, and then once the tickets were sold, the idea was abandoned.  Some fans felt that they did not get what they paid for, and were upset by what felt to some like a bait-and-switch.

However, no such announcements were made for the current tour, so there was no expectation that this current tour would vary wildly from night to night.  What I think has been surprising is that, for the 2015 tour, the band played about 4-5 different songs per night in cities that had more than one show.  On the 2018 tour, the band is switching only one song per night in cities that had more than one show.  There's very little precedence for U2 playing that static of a setlist in the same city for multiple regular tour dates, so that has come as a surprise to some.

• Like 1

I just saw both nights in Philly and I have to say I've never been more disappointed in them, not only was it basically the same set list it was nearly the same speeches/jokes.  This will be the last time I buy tickets to multiple shows before knowing what the set list will be.  They are putting too much emphasis on the visual rather then the music.  Please Please ditch the theatrics and go back to be a concert band.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/30/2018 at 1:35 PM, 504jumper said:

I too liked both shows in SJ. Funny, I was thinking about trying to catch a show in Europe this fall. I've never seen them outside the States and it is on my my bucket list. I just have no idea how to do it. I'll be traveling to Ireland, France and Italy. I'd love to get tickets, but think I'll have to buy them from resellers. Unless there is another way.

It's quite a while ago, but I was in Madrid when Queen had a concert.  I was there for a month and kept thinking about going.  I finally realized how foolish it would be to not go see Queen; especially in Madrid. I kept going to the box office and checking. The day of the show I got a ticket right up front.  I'd love to see U2 in Europe as well.  If you are looking for a single seat-they almost always have something.  Friends in Italy and Spain have told me they do ticket drops closer to the shows, just as they do here.  Good luck.  It sounds like a wonderful trip. 

Posted (edited)

There is so much to this show that one can go see it two nights in a row and still have a different experience. They are not Pearl Jam or Springsteen. Last time I saw Pearl Jam they did Yield from start to finish. It was a dream come true.  That being said, I saw both SOE Chicago shows.  They were so great that I never gave thought to the set list, save getting Gloria and Red Flag Day.

On 6/18/2018 at 7:47 PM, vertigojds said:

For the I&E tour, this was more than just an internet rumor.

I am not arguing with you.  I'm curious. It's three years later and this is the SOE tour.  I never heard of that for the SOI tour.  Perhaps it started as a great idea and as rehearsals took place it proved much more difficult?  How would they do different setlists, given the imagery playing such an integral part of both tours?  I imagine they would have to have different images for different nights with varying setlists.  I go to every night possible. It would be great for me if they did different sets.  I can see how fans who go to one night would get irritated-especially if they paid $325 for a seat.  That's a lot of money to pay one night and then find out they played what one wanted to hear the next.  I would be very irritated if they decided to strip down the spectacle and that was the one night I had chose to go see the show.   Again, I go to every night possible.  I'd love to see different shows on different nights.  It is what it is. I wanted Wild Horses and Little Things.  It did not matter when I saw the Chicago gigs. This is a fantastic show. 

Edited by Manohlive

On 5/24/2018 at 6:26 PM, pop1 said:

Why does U2 play the same set list in back to back nights in the same city ? They only rotated Gloria for Red Flag Day at Chicago 2 and they have now settled into their comfy 24 song setlist. I'm sorry U2 but the current set list is weak. Why do you continue to play I Will Follow, Sunday Bloody Sunday (acoustic yuck !), Pride every show on every tour ? Also songs like One and Elevation and Vertigo have been overplayed also. Acoustic version of beast thing is weak also. You would be better of playing Bad seguing into All I Want Is You and segue into Streets. Why not play Song for Someone, Land Lady and Little Things (the only 2 good songs on the new album in my opinion). I was so glad to hear Acrobat and Wild Horses played on opening night but why have you dropped Wild Horses after only one show ? Why night bring back Kite and play some other songs that have never been played live like When I Look At The World and songs never played live in the US like Hawkmoon 269 or Heartland ? The bottom line here is that most of the fans will attend both shows in the same city so you need to change it up more at each show (and not just one or two songs). We know you rehearsed the Fly in Laval and that song would be a welcome addition to set list also. Maybe bring back Love Is Blindness to close the show instead of 13 ?. You guys have a week off before the Montreal shows. Hopefully you can get some rehearsal time in to change things up.

Couldn't agree more! I'm going to Manchester and Dublin but the set list, as it is, really needs a shake up!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Daviesweeten said:

Couldn't agree more! I'm going to Manchester and Dublin but the set list, as it is, really needs a shake up!

I think in Europe, you'll get a different setlist.

For example, I have difficulty seeing them playing GOOYOW and "American Soul" over there - I think you could get a different pairing like "Summer of Love" with a song like "Invisible". The first two are definitely centered on the States - the other two would make a nice pairing addressing the migrant crisis from Syria which Europe felt much more profoundly that we did here.

Well, whatever songs they choose, I bet you won't get the first pair.

36 minutes ago, dmway said:

I think in Europe, you'll get a different setlist.

For example, I have difficulty seeing them playing GOOYOW and "American Soul" over there - I think you could get a different pairing like "Summer of Love" with a song like "Invisible". The first two are definitely centered on the States - the other two would make a nice pairing addressing the migrant crisis from Syria which Europe felt much more profoundly that we did here.

Well, whatever songs they choose, I bet you won't get the first pair.

Thanks Buddy......still sooooooooo excited!

• Like 1

Is part of the so called boredom caused by the fact that in these days of the internet you know instantly on line what the show will be. This has been the case since at least the Vertigo tour!

I like most of the set list and I hope it stays mostly intact come Europe. It’s not a greatest hits tour, there’s a subtle hint in the title that is Experience and Innocence. 

We are fortunate to have been given 3 tours in 4 years in Europe and North America. I personally can’t wait to see them in Manchester and London in October(when the leaves are stripped bare). 

• Like 1

Agree that viewing the show from two perspectives makes the static setlist more tolerable. I was down front night 1 Boston and in the lower bowl  night 2.  Different experiences and enjoyed both.  The visuals are great for sure and I think I preferred the seats, taking in the whole show including the e stage. But I think the setlist is lacking especially the opening and encores and the flip of All Because of You for Gloria (really?? thats not a fair trade!!).  I understand the concept but it just isn't as engaging as i+e was for me. I don't need to hear the JT songs again, but also don't need One and Desire again...

This topic has been discussed since the start of the tour.  It's absolutely clear now that the set list is set in stone (the only difference is swapping out "Gloria" for "All Because of You" on the second night in a city).  Even "Red Flag Day" is gone, and earlier "Raised by Wolves" was dropped (too long of a set for them?  too high for Bono to sing every time?).

I'd prefer less visual choreography and more set list diversity, but they're not going to do it.  The only mystery remaining is if the set list will be tweaked for Europe.  Otherwise, as someone who went to two of the early shows in the tour (San Jose, Las Vegas), it's boring to follow the tour, waiting for anything different, but nothing different happens.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2018 at 3:43 PM, doctornickriviera said:

Is part of the so called boredom caused by the fact that in these days of the internet you know instantly on line what the show will be. This has been the case since at least the Vertigo tour!

I like most of the set list and I hope it stays mostly intact come Europe. It’s not a greatest hits tour, there’s a subtle hint in the title that is Experience and Innocence. 

We are fortunate to have been given 3 tours in 4 years in Europe and North America. I personally can’t wait to see them in Manchester and London in October(when the leaves are stripped bare). 

Great post. Agree with that also re the internet.

On a slightly different point, we all know about 'autotune', that doesn't bother me but why is Bono opening the show singing over a backing track? Baffles me.

30 minutes ago, Daviesweeten said:

On a slightly different point, we all know about 'autotune', that doesn't bother me but why is Bono opening the show singing over a backing track? Baffles me.

I could be wrong, but I think it’s part of the story of the show. Like he’s there but not really. Makes sense if you look at his automated moves with it. It’s him right before “The Blackout”.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm wondering if people in Europe want to see American Soul live or not?  There might leave many songs I'd like to hear replace it, were I not American. I'm so tired of reading and watching the real news that I wasn't even listening to American Soul much, to be honest.  Hearing it live gave me a different angle of approach.  It's now one of the first tracks to which I'll listen if I pull out SOE for just a couple of songs.  What would American Soul mean in Europe?  That is both a literal and rhetorical question. I don't want to veer this thread off topic. I'm curious to see what this part of the show becomes.  Will they keep it in the setlist?  Will they do Red Flag every night instead?  Will Little Things reappear?  Wild Horses?  I can see how Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses could replace American Soul. It can look at my country and ask after American Soul has been here and told.  I never liked Bono telling me about America until this tour.  Now I want him (them) to question  us from afar.  I'm biased.  I realize it's not just about us.  It's about every one. 

I'm very interested in and fascinated by this part of the setlist/show as it crosses the Atlantic.  

Edited by Manohlive

18 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

I'm wondering if people in Europe want to see American Soul live or not?  There might leave many songs I'd like to hear replace it, were I not American. I'm so tired of reading and watching the real news that I wasn't even listening to American Soul much, to be honest.  Hearing it live gave me a different angle of approach.  It's now one of the first tracks to which I'll listen if I pull out SOE for just a couple of songs.  What would American Soul mean in Europe?  That is both a literal and rhetorical question. I don't want to veer this thread off topic. I'm curious to see what this part of the show becomes.  Will they keep it in the setlist?  Will they do Red Flag every night instead?  Will Little Things reappear?  Wild Horses?  I can see how Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses could replace American Soul. It can look at my country and ask after American Soul has been here and told.  I never liked Bono telling me about America until this tour.  Now I want him (them) to question  us from afar.  I'm biased.  I realize it's not just about us.  It's about every one. 

I'm very interested in and fascinated by this part of the setlist/show as it crosses the Atlantic.  

I agree. I made a suggestion above at what the European audience could conceivably get instead of the GOOYOW/American Soul pairing. It would work better there.

Now, whether or not they would choose it, I have no idea...

14 minutes ago, dmway said:

I agree. I made a suggestion above at what the European audience could conceivably get instead of the GOOYOW/American Soul pairing. It would work better there.

Now, whether or not they would choose it, I have no idea...

I must have missed it.  My eyes go fuzzy wuzzy when I scroll.  I shall make sure I read it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Daviesweeten said:

That's the first thing I was yelling within seconds of last Thursdays show.  Glad I'm not the only one..Its perfected so artificially on the CD that it likely just didnt sound right with his voice alone, even with the autotune...I don't know, I really wasn't blown away with the beginning, until the black out finally kicks in.

8 hours ago, Daviesweeten said:

3 hours ago, smsully said:

That's the first thing I was yelling within seconds of last Thursdays show.  Glad I'm not the only one..Its perfected so artificially on the CD that it likely just didnt sound right with his voice alone, even with the autotune...I don't know, I really wasn't blown away with the beginning, until the black out finally kicks in.

8 hours ago, mich40 said:

I could be wrong, but I think it’s part of the story of the show. Like he’s there but not really. Makes sense if you look at his automated moves with it. It’s him right before “The Blackout”.

I think that Mich is on-point here. I think I can add a little bit more too.

Think of the visual effect on display while he’s performing the song too. It gives the impression like he’s in outer space, almost walking on the stars.

The use of auto-tune here (both on the studio track and the live performance) is not to cover up deficiencies as it is with a few weaker singers out there. It was used to have the synthetic “space-communication” sound - that unusual semi-staticky, voice-from-beyond tone that conversations between NASA and astronauts have.

Like Mich said, I think the effect that he is there-and-not at the same time is intentional. The auto-tune sound is kept to bolster that illusion.

As I kept listening to SOE over the months before the tour, I suspected that they would begin the shows with “Love Is All We Have Left” and continue into “Lights Of Home” - they sounded just right for the start of a show. The reason he sings to the backing track instead of singing a capella is most likely one of practicalities - it’s the first song of the show. Once everyone sees Bono, the crowd will become deafening. If it’s just him versus the crowd in terms of volume, I’d put my money on the crowd being louder. Keeping the backing track makes the fight fairer.

I think a bit more substantive thing to ponder is why insert “The Blackout” in between the two. That was done by design, as were the accompanying graphic visuals and audio bits for that part of the set. Further, the first three songs live, and ending the shows with the last two songs in order, IMHO, define SOE and the e&i show in summary form.

So, to answer more directly, Bono sings to the backing track with the auto-tune by design (both in the studio and live) because that was the exact effect that they wanted.

• Upvote 1
  • Brilliant 1

9 hours ago, dmway said:

The use of auto-tune here

a detail that may make the whole difference: it's not autotuned - it's a vocoder...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dmway said:

I think that Mich is on-point here. I think I can add a little bit more too.

Think of the visual effect on display while he’s performing the song too. It gives the impression like he’s in outer space, almost walking on the stars.

The use of auto-tune here (both on the studio track and the live performance) is not to cover up deficiencies as it is with a few weaker singers out there. It was used to have the synthetic “space-communication” sound - that unusual semi-staticky, voice-from-beyond tone that conversations between NASA and astronauts have.

Like Mich said, I think the effect that he is there-and-not at the same time is intentional. The auto-tune sound is kept to bolster that illusion.

As I kept listening to SOE over the months before the tour, I suspected that they would begin the shows with “Love Is All We Have Left” and continue into “Lights Of Home” - they sounded just right for the start of a show. The reason he sings to the backing track instead of singing a capella is most likely one of practicalities - it’s the first song of the show. Once everyone sees Bono, the crowd will become deafening. If it’s just him versus the crowd in terms of volume, I’d put my money on the crowd being louder. Keeping the backing track makes the fight fairer.

I think a bit more substantive thing to ponder is why insert “The Blackout” in between the two. That was done by design, as were the accompanying graphic visuals and audio bits for that part of the set. Further, the first three songs live, and ending the shows with the last two songs in order, IMHO, define SOE and the e&i show in summary form.

So, to answer more directly, Bono sings to the backing track with the auto-tune by design (both in the studio and live) because that was the exact effect that they wanted.

Thanks, buddy. Makes sense. I must admit I'm not too impressed with the opening tbh. I think Bono coming onstage at the Innocence tour was class! 'People Have the Power' over the PA.....Opposite end from the band....straight into 'oh, ohohoh'. That was special. I know this works in with the whole 'experience' thing. I'll love it when I'm there.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Max Tsukino said:

a detail that may make the whole difference: it's not autotuned - it's a vocoder...

What's that Max? Sorry for the ignorance.