pop1

Please Change The Set List U2 Shows Are Very Boring

On 5/24/2018 at 1:26 PM, pop1 said:

Why does U2 play the same set list in back to back nights in the same city ?

This comes up for every tour they do, though, so I guess why do the fans think the band is going to change every time, despite the fact they never have before?

It is a heavily theatrical show, with lots of moving parts and lighting cues/effects/etc., so there is little wiggle room as a result. Whether people think that is a worthwhile trade-off or not, the band have seemingly bought into this approach for a long time.

I think the beauty of this approach is that if I see this show in Philadelphia (which I am going to), and a friend say it anywhere else, we can talk about it like we had the same experience. It is like reading a novel and talking about it afterward.

Whereas if I mention seeing Pearl Jam in concert, it is more about Did they play this? Did they play that? since there is no narrative thread or consistent experience night to night.

I solved the issue of not being sure if I want to see the same show on multiple nights very easily. I only bought a ticket to one night. Any die-hard fans who opt to go both nights should know what they are signing on to at this point.

• Like 3

It's hard to disagree with that.

I think we had a bigger case in 2015, when the band said in advance of tickets going onsale that fans should buy tickets to both nights, as there would actually be two different setlists being performed.  The band went back on that announcement only after the tickets were sold.  So I think fans who bought tickets to both nights in 2015 may have done so because the band promised two different shows, and I think those fans have a reasonable case about being disappointed then. 

No such promises were made for this current tour.  Historically, the band has rotated a handful of songs from night to night when performing in the same city - when U2 did play eight shows in NYC in 2015, on average, they changed about four to six songs from night to night while maintaining the basic structure of the show.  By comparison on 2018, so far, U2 are basically changing one song per night for multiple night stands, so that is less than what they've done historically.  That's also on par with what they did during the JT2017 tour; the thing is, because JT2017 was such a special occasion show with a unique focus on one specific album, I don't think fans expected that to carry over to this next tour.  I think most fans who are used to attending multiple shows on the same tour were expecting that 4-5 song variety that's held true in the past, and weren't expecting it to be just one song being rotated.  I can understand being disappointed by that.  If your expectation was that there would be 10 songs different from night to night, that was probably never realistic, but I don't think it was unrealistic to anticipate there being about four songs changed from to night in the same city to another.

Edited by vertigojds
  • Brilliant 1

I would argue, though, that the way the stages and barricage are configured definitely begs for the show to be seen at least twice from different vantage points.  There really is no single "perfect" spot to view the entire show; the screen is best viewed from one angle, the "e" stage from another, and the main stage from another one still.  So, to me it's well worth going twice to really take in everything the show has to offer.  You will definitely see things the second night that you didn't see the first.

• Upvote 2
  • Brilliant 1

I like to think I am pretty connected with the band.  I've never once heard (outside of internet rumor) they were going to play two different shows when they played ina city more than once.  Logistically, that would be a nightmare for the band to pull off something like that.

As for those complaining about the set list, the band did say in Rolling Stone they were going to ditch the typical fan favorite songs for this tour in favor of the newer stuff so they can complete the iE story.  As The Edge said, if you wanted the popular stuff, the tour for you was The Joshua Tree Tour.

Treated myself to a VIP Party Package for Boston 2 and cannot wait!